yankeeInKy

Mar 1, 2020
I've finished the current build and still can't give Katie the gem I bought for her. I go to the gym but no option to give it to her? What am I missing. Great game and story.. I'm hooked :)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I've finished the current build and still can't give Katie the gem I bought for her. I go to the gym but no option to give it to her? What am I missing. Great game and story.. I'm hooked :)
You can only give her the gem in the Evening (the event slides into Night, and I needed to make sure you didn't accidentally skip a critical event on the way)

Reactions: yankeeInKy

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
0.3.34 had an update to latest Unity version (2019.3) to solve some Video stability issues. I'd forgotten that updating Unity is a high risk sport.

On the plus side, it looks like videos will be used more going forward, with support for both interstitial videos, and videos used for backgrounds. For fun I went back and redid the first time meeting between MC and Emily; it's been bugging me for a while that that chunk wasn't animated.

View attachment 2020-04-14 15-08-56.mp4

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
One of my made an animating portal in AfterEffects. With a bit of work that made it into the game as well, so now that whole room is actually a single video file. I wonder what I could use that for in the future...

View attachment 619722
That's one damn pretty portal! Makes you want to jump right in! Jumping back out not guaranteed.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I am totally hooked. Completed up to chapter 2. This game is a freaking masterpiece. I'll drop a review once I'm done, but I have one suggestion to make. There is a lot of mouse movement involved when calling on supports during battle. You click them, then move all the way across the screen to click on the dialogue choice. There must be a better way to do this, although I can't think of an obvious solution. Maybe a small drop down menu that appears under the character icon that lets you select the spell you want them to cast. And forgoing the confirmation dialogue once you've seen it once?

Edit: Actually I realized we already have the drop down menu to select spells lol. I think the confirmation dialogue can be skipped though. Things like "thanks Emily." He could just say it without you having to click on it.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I am totally hooked. Completed up to chapter 2. This game is a freaking masterpiece. I'll drop a review once I'm done, but I have one suggestion to make. There is a lot of mouse movement involved when calling on supports during battle. You click them, then move all the way across the screen to click on the dialogue choice. There must be a better way to do this, although I can't think of an obvious solution. Maybe a small drop down menu that appears under the character icon that lets you select the spell you want them to cast. And forgoing the confirmation dialogue once you've seen it once?

Edit: Actually I realized we already have the drop down menu to select spells lol. I think the confirmation dialogue can be skipped though. Things like "thanks Emily." He could just say it without you having to click on it.
It's not any help if you're playing one-handed, but space will skip one dialog, ctrl will speed skip.

The underlying reason for it is that I'm piggybacking on the chat system to drive the spells (they're essentially just chat-scripts, which makes triggering and extending them trivial). I might revamp that when I have time, but right now it's lower priority than finishing act IV :D

Reactions: Rolo and DA22

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
It's not any help if you're playing one-handed, but space will skip one dialog, ctrl will speed skip.

The underlying reason for it is that I'm piggybacking on the chat system to drive the spells (they're essentially just chat-scripts, which makes triggering and extending them trivial). I might revamp that when I have time, but right now it's lower priority than finishing act IV :D
I see. Well I did notice that I don't exactly have to click on the dialogue choice to end the text. I can click like anywhere on the screen if there is only 1 choice that is available. So the mouse moving isn't a big problem, but I think all spell choices could use the Dylan's menu to choose the spell. Most others seems to have the choices on the dialogue box.

Reactions: Rolo

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I see. Well I did notice that I don't exactly have to click on the dialogue choice to end the text. I can click like anywhere on the screen if there is only 1 choice that is available. So the mouse moving isn't a big problem, but I think all spell choices could use the Dylan's menu to choose the spell. Most others seems to have the choices on the dialogue box.
They'll all get additional abilities over time; Dylan was the first (so he has two distinct abilities; a Heal that grows over time, and the Regen Emily teaches him). Each of the Companions will learn things like that as I go on. Katie, Emily and Dylan all have the ability to get a new ability in act IV.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
They'll all get additional abilities over time; Dylan was the first (so he has two distinct abilities; a Heal that grows over time, and the Regen Emily teaches him). Each of the Companions will learn things like that as I go on. Katie, Emily and Dylan all have the ability to get a new ability in act IV.
Nice :D

Since you are here, can I ask what boosting the resolve for companions in campsite does? Is it a permanent boost or just something for that outing?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Ah I suppose I could ask one more question. It seems like many of the dialogue choices are for roleplaying flavor rather than actual variables. Is this true? I personally really like this type of flavor, although true choices would be nice too. Linear plotline is certainly not a problem when the writing is this good, honestly.

The one that's mostly on my mind is whether you saying "I love you" in various different ways has an affect on the game?

Reactions: Rolo

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Ah I suppose I could ask one more question. It seems like many of the dialogue choices are for roleplaying flavor rather than actual variables. Is this true? I personally really like this type of flavor, although true choices would be nice too. Linear plotline is certainly not a problem when the writing is this good, honestly.

The one that's mostly on my mind is whether you saying "I love you" in various different ways has an affect on the game?
Yeah, there's not a lot of hidden variables; mostly the choices are for flavor. If there's a cost (in terms of cash, or time or whatever), there's usually repercussions. For things like the early use of Love, at the beginning of their relationship I wanted to give the player a chance to control how fast they moved. Once you're in Act IV that choice is more or less gone, sorry :D

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
... The one that's mostly on my mind is whether you saying "I love you" in various different ways has an affect on the game?
Yes, that is true. There are some choices, where the answer is same, but one has "love you" in it, the other not. There are a lot of inside variables in the program, but I am not sure if "Love points" are counted.

There is one choice, when you have to decide to pay the bill or split it. This has definitely consequences (better pay it full;))

Edit: I see, Droid was quicker ;)

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I took this as Thor delivering an object lesson in one of the ugly realities of war. You know not everyone got evacuated in Operation Dynamo, a fair portion of the rearguard who held the line outside Dunkerque so everyone else could get away got ~4 years in a POW camp for their valor. There's the guy who said "I will return" when evacuating the PI and then there's the guys who got the Bataan death march instead. Sometimes someone has to hold the stinky end of the stick, and with End of All There Is on the line, Thor chose the MC for the honor. No, it's not noble, but sometime it's deemed necessary. I took it as Thor 'doing what he must' rather than what he wanted to, as per one of the quotes somewhere in the game. I too prefer developed antagonists rather than a simplistic Manichean good/evil morality axis.
I didn't see Thor as a villain. He did what he thought was best for his clan. Even someone like Erec isn't necessarily a villain.

Furthermore, Thor, along with everyone else, is pretty much at the mercy of the prophecy and whatever higher forces are driving this whole thing. He just played his part in powering up the MC whether he intended to or not. That was obviously necessary for the fight to come.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
I didn't see Thor as a villain. He did what he thought was best for his clan. Even someone like Erec isn't necessarily a villain.

Furthermore, Thor, along with everyone else, is pretty much at the mercy of the prophecy and whatever higher forces are driving this whole thing. He just played his part in powering up the MC whether he intended to or not. That was obviously necessary for the fight to come.
Agree. Lots of the so called "most evil villains" in history were a tool for the growth and strenghening of mankind (without intending it ofc.) Doesn't justify their deeds, but this is how creation works appearently ;)

Reactions: Brother Lui
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes