4.20 star(s) 103 Votes

AlliebuttDK

Jun 8, 2021
As someone who has been around since C2 of the old version, I'm actually starting to enjoy the new art more than the old one. The old art felt more airbrushed and flat, whereas the new one feels far more gritty and 'real', if you can even say that about any type of art that isn't drawn to be specifically 1:1 to real world stuff. Like the old art wasn't bad, but they didn't look as much like humans as they do now. Like the MC has freckles now, whereas her old sprite just felt too smooth to look human. All of the characters honestly look more alive now, when the old style just made them seem artificial. I don't know if my description makes sense to anyone else though.

Edit: As an example. The old art made everyone look like they were standing in front of a studio light at all times, but now they have proper shading which in and of itself adds a lot of dimension to their faces.

leg28

Aug 15, 2018
Speaking about the new art i have to disagree. it looks more verisimilar, they are still pretty people but they don't have that feeling that they were all models posing for a photoshop. Also no more creepy Joker smiles on everyone.
new art is more fit for high-school themed funny cartoons that were published in teen magazines than adult explicit vn. girls are far less attractive, male too. basically new art looks like cheap copy of some hi-tech gadget.
but this is my opinion. some will agree, some won't about new art, although reading posts above almost everyone agree previous art was superior

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
I have been trying to play the new version on Mac. I downloaded the PC version and ran it through Renpy to make a mac version, but the new version hangs really early, when you get the first text from Sophie. You just pull out the phone, a phone display pops up but there is not content and nowhere to click that I can see. Does the PC version also have this problem or was this the conversion to mac that did it? Any ideas?

GifMeMore1987

Sep 13, 2021
I have been trying to play the new version on Mac. I downloaded the PC version and ran it through Renpy to make a mac version, but the new version hangs really early, when you get the first text from Sophie. You just pull out the phone, a phone display pops up but there is not content and nowhere to click that I can see. Does the PC version also have this problem or was this the conversion to mac that did it? Any ideas?
Works on PC. The only thing I noticed was that it takes longer for the text messages to pop up compared to normal dialogue (Ihave text speed on maximum); there's an animation of three moving dots before text shows (signalling Sophie is typing just like in a real messenger app). Maybe there's a different mechanic behind it that causes problems on Mac.

Have you played any other version (C5 or C1R) and did it work there?

OZtheW1ZARD

Aug 24, 2021
I have been thinking about all that new old art debacle and it is not that the new art is bad, it is not. The style is different, but there is an equal level of professionalism present. Where it falls short is in the way the new characters look when compared to the previous version.
I do not think they are as attractive (aesthetically pleasing) anymore. The only ones that still look good are Marco and Lei (the Asian girl, I hope I have her name right)

Reactions: marocto and leg28

dond1

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the developer should have just started another completely different game. It feels bad to have so many chapters of story completed and then play the whole thing from start again.

It's a pitty if the artist left, because the art style was great. The new one just feels like a downgrade in comparison.

Well luckily there is other great games out there, I'm just not interested about replaying the old story over long period of time.

JerryC

Mar 5, 2019
One more ex fan on the dislike train for the new art. I have been interested in this game for its storytelling, I really liked it. The new character designs made me drop it after a few scenes. I find them so repulsive, I just can't bring myself to be interested in what's happening. Even when one looks for story first, like I always do, visuals are paramount in a VN. So I'm gonna just drop this, because I now don't see any appeal to it. I wish those of you that do to enjoy it, and will go drown my pain in alcohol like a desperate husband for how beautiful my Sophie was and what she's become.

duffman44

Jun 14, 2021
As someone who has been around since C2 of the old version, I'm actually starting to enjoy the new art more than the old one. The old art felt more airbrushed and flat, whereas the new one feels far more gritty and 'real', if you can even say that about any type of art that isn't drawn to be specifically 1:1 to real world stuff. Like the old art wasn't bad, but they didn't look as much like humans as they do now. Like the MC has freckles now, whereas her old sprite just felt too smooth to look human. All of the characters honestly look more alive now, when the old style just made them seem artificial. I don't know if my description makes sense to anyone else though.

Edit: As an example. The old art made everyone look like they were standing in front of a studio light at all times, but now they have proper shading which in and of itself adds a lot of dimension to their faces.
Just find starting the whole game from scratch again completely pointless and a waste of time. It would have been easier to stop the old version and call it say 'act 1' and have the new art and characters for 'act 2' onwards.

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
Works on PC. The only thing I noticed was that it takes longer for the text messages to pop up compared to normal dialogue (Ihave text speed on maximum); there's an animation of three moving dots before text shows (signalling Sophie is typing just like in a real messenger app). Maybe there's a different mechanic behind it that causes problems on Mac.

Have you played any other version (C5 or C1R) and did it work there?
I have pleyed the C5 version and it was fine but not the revamp. I might have to wait for a mac version from the dev.

Reactions: GifMeMore1987

Gohan007

Aug 4, 2017
Just find starting the whole game from scratch again completely pointless and a waste of time. It would have been easier to stop the old version and call it say 'act 1' and have the new art and characters for 'act 2' onwards.
Dev would've had to pay the previous artist royalties if she kept his art in, it wasn't really viable to pay two artists at the same time.

Levian

Mar 9, 2018
I'm guessing you're using Renpy 8.0? I had the same issue. Download an earlier version, e.g. Renpy 7.4.11. It works with that one.

dandario

Nov 13, 2022
This new version of Sophie... she definitely looks underage, like 14-15 something. Even the MC looks barely 18. Knowing there's going to be sex with Sophie sooner or later they're asking for trouble on Patreon.

P.S - And yes, the new art is inferior, good example is that new gothic/punk character someone posted a few pages back.

HeroHate

Oct 10, 2019
View attachment 2234652 View attachment 2234653

I mean, the remake art isn't that bad. Just don't be so picky about it. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Don't bash it because you don't like it though. Move on and find another game that has art that is to your liking.
I agree, I think it's fine, without the comparison I think most would have loved it, nonetheless I prefer the colour and design of the older one.

4.20 star(s) 103 Votes