pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
You do realise that I was writing about the update cycle of an ongoing project not downloading a finished product don't you?

It's crazy to have to download 4 GB of program files every time a piece of software gets altered, minimally, duplicating almost every file (> 95%) already installed simply to include a relatively small number of altered/additional files (<5%). That's akin to having to download the whole Windows operating system, over and over, every time some small part of it changed which would be crazy, ridiculous and incredibly bad practice as far as any kind of software was concerned. No engineer worth his/her salt would accept massively unnecessary redundancy on such a scale nor foist it on users. Maybe you would be happy to download gigabytes of duplicate files, over and over, unnecessarily but in my experience most people wouldn't be and I'm absolutely sure that NLT would not expect his/her customer base to have to do this on a regular basis in any case. (Nobody that talented could possibly be so stupid.) In fact I would go so far as to bet the farm that NLT will be providing incremental updates to his customers, in the same way as every other responsible software vendor does, so that his/her/their clients are neither inconvenienced nor forced to waste bandwidth unnecessarily.

I'd put money on it.

The auto-updater will almost certainly be for Windows only because it chimes with Microsoft's ethos to get Windows and the software that runs on it to do all manner of things on behalf of users whether they have agreed to it or not. (While creepily sending back all kinds of telemetry about what Windows 10 users have been doing to Microsoft headquarters for analysis.) That kind of intrusion isn't acceptable to me personally but each to his/her own, and, as you say, the overwhelming majority of PC users do use Windows because PC vendors sell new PCs with Windows already installed on them.

There but for the grace of God, go I.
You can't expect every program to do the same thing
the RPGM is game engine that do thing for indy dev that not programmer
and I would say the same for renpy
even most of the indy dev with unity unreal etc
you can't expect them to make and update patch in middle of the development
they change code change thing
That you not see on the surface
behind the visual you see there are construct code logic etc done
they are no professional programmer
so update is likely impossible to working well
the flesh new download is the stable thing to do
even with professional program you can see many had to download new and uninstall the old one anyway

and if you have that much problem with little update
so wait for the 100% version then...

Reactions: cold_arctus
Sep 27, 2019
This might be true for other games but not for LE. You always had the option to download the updates only and/or download the F95-compressed version. Saves are all transferable between OS platform, compressed and non-compressed version.
That might be true when downloading a bootleg version from a site like this but surely NLT subscribers must get regular updates incrementally? Considering how often updates are made to NLT's enormous RPG games partial, incremental updates are the only sensible solution as far as updating goes, logically speaking. I'm seriously considering becoming an NLT patron because I like his/her/their work so much but wouldn't be happy about having to download the same game, with slight alterations and new material added, monthly, fortnightly, or however often the author(s) decides...

time...

... after time...

... after time...

... ad infinitum!

Surely updates direct from NLT would have to be supplied as compressed archives which can be decompressed locally and their contents copied into the appropriate directories/folders of NLT games, locally, either manually or automatically by the forthcoming Windows installer? Depending on your level of subscription my bet is that patrons, when they log on to NLT's Patreon page(s), would be presented with a page of links to the game's first iteration followed by a series of updates in zip/7zip/rar files which can be downloaded and installed by gamers to update NLT games, on their computers, at their leisure.

That's the way I would do it and the only one that makes sense to me.

We'll have to see.

I think I'll send NLT an email and inquire directly what the score is as per updates to his/her/their games.

If what you say is correct I won't be parting with any of my money and will simply download bootlegs of completed games as and when they become available.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
If what you say is correct I won't be parting with any of my money and will simply download bootlegs of completed games as and when they become available.
The new update function will start with the new game and not for LE, as far as I understand it. So, let's wait and see how it will lookt in 2 or 4 weeks, then we should know more about it.

zielony2

Dec 16, 2017
Auto-updater is not really hard to make
many years ago i have few mmorpg games-servers
and learned myself programming to make loaders for games
loaders was able to:
- check version
- autodownload wished patch and install
- finally, check if cheat exists and block cheating client/user
and i wasn't professional programmer, im a lawyer in real life...

Reyza Indra A

Sep 15, 2018
Give me save data 0% please, after the intro
My game abslutely stack on intro

And i dont no locate save data, please give me information about located save data

Btw iam play on android

Thanks, sory about my bad language

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
loaders was able to:
- check version
Make a game and update a game other already make is in another level
they already make a working patch version before you got that patch
and you had no Idea how much time consume on that process
Like I never know how much time you put on find and learn the law to use in an hour on court

zielony2

Dec 16, 2017
Im n
Make a game and update a game other already make is in another level
they already make a working patch version before you got that patch
and you had no Idea how much time consume on that process
Like I never know how much time you put on find and learn the law to use in an hour on court
Im not criticizing,
what i can say? I was parsing every client file with uniuque control sum, then loader was chcecking control sums file on server comparying with created locally, then downloading proper patch,

this is some idea, maybe usefull maybe not

Sep 27, 2019
loaders was able to:
- check version
That's true with Windows definitely and if NLT used versioning software he/she/them could change/extend the game and be able to track which new files had been added and which old files had been changed. This would enable him/her/them to package every file that needed to be added to a previous version of the game, to bring it up to date, as service packs for Windows/Linux/Mac which users could download and install locally to bring their games up to date. I would much rather download 150 MB of new/changed files, say, as a service pack to update a game than a whole new version of a 3 GB game from scratch, most files of which would already be on my PC and not require replacing.

This really isn't all that difficult to do.

I wouldn't mind paying for this but won't be subscribing if I have to download multiple versions of the whole game repeatedly when the game is several gigabytes in size. Others won't mind this but for me personally it's a deal breaker and I will simply wait until games are completed and download them at that point rather than sequentially and episodically bit by bit.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I would much rather download 150 MB of new/changed files, say, as a service pack to update a game than a whole new version of a 3 GB game from scratch
I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of it. As said a few post before, a few hours after the initial release of an update someone shares the (update-only) link here. If you can make it time you can download the new content (~350 MB). However, you need to copy them manually. The future auto-updater is for non-tech-savvy people.

Even if you miss the right time to download the update only content you could look for a torrent file and select the new files you miss in your game. Of course this takes more time - and tbh it is faster do download <5 GB (~15 min with a 25.000 kBit/s internet connection) as to go through the files and compare which are old and which files are new.
I will simply wait until games are completed and download them at that point rather than sequentially and episodically bit by bit.
This is exactly what I did after my first test run, back when I was testing Wine. Then I tried it on an old HP EliteBook 8440p with 2GB RAM - damn, it was so laggy! Now I use the native client on Linux and it runs flawless.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Doesnt the Mac port work anymore?
Copied the files as stated in the spoiler, but the game doesnt even start.
You can't update the Mac version (86082) from OP with the patcher (also on OP) to latest version (94101).
Either you download the latest Windows build and use the RPG MV Mac Launcher or you wait until next week and download the complete game.

4.40 star(s) 253 Votes