IncetonGames

Game Developer
Jun 18, 2018
What do you think... Why does the same day repeat in EoL? What's going on?

We are wondering if someone figured it out. There are some hints ;)

Reactions: Blayo

darlic

Feb 27, 2017
The MC's bed is a wormhole that keeps sending him back in time every time he goes to sleep.

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
But if the reset don't stop he can't realy go all the way with the girls outside rape.Because he have only a douzen hours and everytime he make a progress the time reset.Yes he remember everything but the girls don't.So we need that loop to stop.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
True, which is why I specifically gave the game sub-folder. There's no point in checking through the AppData folder if you don't have to: by default it's hidden, so unless a user has specifically made it visible in Windows they won't see it; saves can appear in the Local, LocalLow, or Roaming general folders (you never know ahead of time); and folder names often don't match what you would expect (could be the game's name, could be the developer's name, could be something else, like with the Alexandra example you gave). I would only ever go to AppData if whatever you were trying to do required that you go there.
I'm sorry, but I just have to correct this, so newbies won't get the wrong idea about Ren'Py nor Windows itself...

Firstly...
The feature of Ren'Py of creating duplicate saves both in the game\saves subfolder and in the %AppData%\Renpy folder simultaneously in Windows and ~/.renpy folder in Linux and some other profile folder in Mac OS is a rather unique and very useful feature that makes the whole trouble of searching for the saves folder and backing it up before starting with a new version of the game completely redundant and pointless, compared for example with RPGM and some Unity games that do not create saves in the %AppData% folder.
And when I'm talking about %AppData%, that is the AppData\Roaming folder in the user profile folder. Renpy folder is inside it and never in the Local or LocalLow folder. So you always do know where to look.

Secondly...
In case of Ren'Py there is really no need to back up saves from the old game\saves subfolder and move them into the same subfolder of the new version of the game. Nor is there any need to delete the old version, unless you just want to free some space on your disk.
You can just extract the new version into a new folder, run the game and that's it. No need to worry about the saves or move them anywhere. And this is just one of the reasons to like Ren'Py more than RPGM.
All your old saves will get picked up from the saves folder in the %AppData%\Renpy folder, so you really don't have to look for the saves folder from the %AppData%\Renpy folder yourself.

One thing you were right about is that the names of the save folders there often have nothing similar to the name of the game they belong to in them. However, it is quite easy to find the right folder anyway - about that further down below.

The second thing you were right about was, that there's no point searching through the %AppData%\Renpy folder for your saves. However, not for the reason you described there, but because there is no point searching for Ren'Py saves anywhere - period. You can forget about them most of the time and let Ren'Py handle them automatically. Unless you specifically have to find those save files for reasons not related to switching between game versions.

And finally about finding Ren'Py persistent saves in folders with cumbersome names (that you generally don't have to do):

So, in case you actually do have to find those saves in the %AppData%\Renpy folder, you don't actually have to unhide hidden files and folders in Windows (although it is recommended to do so for security or windows maintenance reasons). You can just type %appdata%
- into the Windows search box and it'll find it for you
or
- into the address bar of any folder window (explorer window)
or
- into the good old Windows Run dialog box (Winkey+R) and hit Enter
... and you'll pop right into the %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming folder where Ren'Py's persistent saves are.

The easiest way to find the saves folder of a specific game in there is to run the game and make a new save - this will update the "date modified" parameter of the save folder. Next you just have to switch Renpy folder to detailed view and sort the contents of the folder by clicking on the "Date Modified" column name. The most recently modified folder will be on top of the list.

I guess that should cover it.

Last edited:

ZenGarden

Oct 1, 2017
What do you think... Why does the same day repeat in EoL? What's going on?

We are wondering if someone figured it out. There are some hints ;)
You, as a game developer, are too invested in making sure it's impossible to understand as a player what you are expecting the player to do?

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm sorry, but I just have to correct this, so newbies won't get the wrong idea about Ren'Py nor Windows itself...

Firstly...
The feature of Ren'Py of creating duplicate saves both in the game\saves subfolder and in the %AppData%\Renpy folder simultaneously in Windows and ~/.renpy folder in Linux and some other profile folder in Mac OS is a rather unique and very useful feature that makes the whole trouble of searching for the saves folder and backing it up before starting with a new version of the game completely redundant and pointless, compared for example with RPGM and some Unity games that do not create saves in the %AppData% folder.
And when I'm talking about %AppData%, that is the AppData\Roaming folder in the user profile folder. Renpy folder is inside it and never in the Local or LocalLow folder. So you always do know where to look.

Secondly...
In case of Ren'Py there is really no need to back up saves from the old game\saves subfolder and move them into the same subfolder of the new version of the game. Nor is there any need to delete the old version, unless you just want to free some space on your disk.
You can just extract the new version into a new folder, run the game and that's it. No need to worry about the saves or move them anywhere. And this is just one of the reasons to like Ren'Py more than RPGM.
All your old saves will get picked up from the saves folder in the %AppData%\Renpy folder, so you really don't have to look for the saves folder from the %AppData%\Renpy folder yourself.

One thing you were right about is that the names of the save folders there often have nothing similar to the name of the game they belong to in them. However, it is quite easy to find the right folder anyway - about that further down below.

The second thing you were right about was, that there's no point searching through the %AppData%\Renpy folder for your saves. However, not for the reason you described there, but because there is no point searching for Ren'Py saves anywhere - period. You can forget about them most of the time and let Ren'Py handle them automatically. Unless you specifically have to find those save files for reasons not related to switching between game versions.

And finally about finding Ren'Py persistent saves in folders with cumbersome names (that you generally don't have to do):

So, in case you actually do have to find those saves in the %AppData%\Renpy folder, you don't actually have to unhide hidden files and folders in Windows (although it is recommended to do so for security or windows maintenance reasons). You can just type %appdata%
or
or
... and you'll pop right into the %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming folder where Ren'Py's persistent saves are.

The easiest way to find the saves folder of a specific game in there is to run the game and make a new save - this will update the "date modified" parameter of the save folder. Next you just have to switch Renpy folder to detailed view and sort the contents of the folder by clicking on the "Date Modified" column name. The most recently modified folder will be on top of the list.

I stand corrected. I guess I'll go bury my head in the sand in shame. What's the point of having the saves folder at all in the game directory, then? Why doesn't Ren'Py just read from %appdata% instead? Seems like a useless extra folder, unless the idea is you save the folder in the case of reformatting your hard drive or something, maybe?

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
CookieMonster666 Appdata is a hidden folder by default in Windows. It's a way to back up your save but the files in /game/saves takes precedence so you can drop a newer or older save in there and it will ovveride the one in the appdata folder. So it's there as a backup and is hidden but at the same time, you can override with another file in the /game/saves folder.
Edited.. I can't think of any other engine off the top of my head that can do for you. You'd never have to worry about losing saves unless the drive crashes or you reformat it.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

Firstly...

Secondly...

or
or

CookieMonster666 Appdata is a hidden folder by default in Windows. It's a way to back up your save but the files in /game/saves takes precedence so you can drop a newer or older save in there and it will ovveride the one in the appdata folder. So it's there as a backup and is hidden but at the same time, you can override with another file in the /game/saves folder.
Edited.. I can't think of any other engine off the top of my head that can do for you. You'd never have to worry about losing saves unless the drive crashes or you reformat it.
Thank you both for the education. I will go forth with greater knowledge and try to use it wisely. :)

Reactions: wirelessnick

wirelessnick

May 4, 2019

Firstly...

Secondly...

or
or

Thanks for sharing. And, I dare to say another useful feature of RenPy over RPGM is rollback. Man, this is a feature to die for, especially after a bad choice...

3.70 star(s) 240 Votes