May 27, 2017
Almost every story focused VN is just that, story focused, sex comes last. I'm glad Mad World has a good balance between compelling storytelling and sexy times. I wish this was as popular as other big narrative focused VNs, Smoke Mob Games has done a great job and they deserve more recognition.

Reactions: Capella

Capella

I write.
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
For some reason, I stopped getting notifications on new comments in the thread. I hope it's not too late to clarify some misconceptions about the sandbox elements. Yeah, I get that people are skeptical about it, so I feel like I should say something.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To everyone playing through the game and giving your feedback, thank you. I can't always reply, but I do read it all.

Capella

I write.
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
hi, so I'm playing the game after a while and I have to say, it would be nice having a stats button (if the game has one and I was too blind to see it please direct me), so I can remember what traits my character has, mostly because that would be enough for me to remember the story better, I don't know just an idea.
The next chapter will feature new gameplay elements, including a "Journal System" you can use to keep track of things like that.

Mograx

Oct 16, 2019
For some reason, I stopped getting notifications on new comments in the thread. I hope it's not too late to clarify some misconceptions about the sandbox elements. Yeah, I get that people are skeptical about it, so I feel like I should say something.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To everyone playing through the game and giving your feedback, thank you. I can't always reply, but I do read it all.
Thanks for updating us high sea dwellers, it's much appreciated. Just wanted to take the chance to voice my thoughts on the matter.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say: Issues w/ sandbox aren't necessarily the open world aspect itself; there's clearly advantages to approaching a large cast of characters in order to allow a more fluid system of interaction between them and the MC in that regard.

Rather, the issue many of us have with sandbox elements is when the story grinds to a halt due to lack of clarity on progression. This, for me anyway, results in quickly plummeting investment and interest. Wandering about aimlessly on a map hoping to trigger something is the fastest way for me to start alt tabbing onto my browser, looking at my phone, etc. But as long as people are consistently given a clear direction on how to progress, I imagine you won't find too many detractors to this addition.

My main point: Sandbox isn't inherently bad at all, it's just that so many of us have experienced it implemented in such an incomprehensibly terrible and tediously boring way that we are hesitant to ever give the mode another chance lol. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the player has some form of an "arrow" always pointing them at least in a general direction, to some degree or another, there shouldn't be a problem.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
is it just me ... or the story is getting weirder every update ...
so much ...senseless stuff now
and the lack of choices dont makes it better ...
(pointing to robbie here - i dont want anything to do with her,since the beginning)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Grelk

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
hi, so I'm playing the game after a while and I have to say, it would be nice having a stats button (if the game has one and I was too blind to see it please direct me), so I can remember what traits my character has, mostly because that would be enough for me to remember the story better, I don't know just an idea.
there are no stats ....
the variables shows nothing (and be sure that i was looking - wanted to make a mod)
there was this one scene about getting a trait (master of arcane?) - but its nowhere stored

Reactions: TundraLupus

Valex

Apr 27, 2017
Does anybody else get this error:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 14452, in <module>
NameError: name 'chro' is not defined
It happens after your magic lesson with Vincent, while you lay on the couch and get the options to either invite Chloe or invite everyone to chill at your place.

BTW, I'm using the compressed version.
------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Never mind, thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
there are no stats ....
the variables shows nothing (and be sure that i was looking - wanted to make a mod)
there was this one scene about getting a trait (master of arcane?) - but its nowhere stored
What are you guys talking about?
Of course the game tracks your decisions.

Python:
menu:
    "{color=#ff0019}(Do it.) (Gives you \"Master of the Arcane\" trait)":
        $ master_trait = "1"  # <-- HERE
        "Alright..."
        scene vt46 at z, truecenter
There are also alignavenger and alignparagon points that track your general alignment as well as all kinds of quasi-boolean flags that track your exact relationships with the different characters, e.g. chro (Chloe romance), etc.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
What are you guys talking about?
Of course the game tracks your decisions.

Python:
menu:
    "{color=#ff0019}(Do it.) (Gives you \"Master of the Arcane\" trait)":
        $ master_trait = "1"  # <-- HERE
        "Alright..."
        scene vt46 at z, truecenter
There are also alignavenger and alignparagon points that track your general alignment as well as all kinds of quasi-boolean flags that track your exact relationships with the different characters, e.g. chro (Chloe romance), etc.
yep
now show me where it is saved
neither on save game or persistent file

Capella

I write.
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
there are no stats ....
The trait is "$ master_trait". I double-checked if I didn't mess it up again as I did a few months ago with another choice. It's there - it's just not called yet.

Does anybody else get this error:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 14452, in <module>
NameError: name 'chro' is not defined
It happens after your magic lesson with Vincent, while you lay on the couch and get the options to either invite Chloe or invite everyone to chill at your place.

BTW, I'm using the compressed version.

@Boehser Onkel

Yes, i was wondering the same thing, but there was no variable for it.
That was the thing I messed up. You're playing with a very old save. If you got this far, that means you got through the first scene calling that variable, which probably means you ignored the warning the first time. I'm really sorry for that, but your save has been broken for a long time, now.

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
yep
now show me where it is saved
neither on save game or persistent file
Loaded a save from the end.
var.png
Since it's not defined at the beginning of the script but at runtime, you don't see it in a normal dump of a save file.
Same for most other tracking variables.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Boehser Onkel

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
Capella Might I suggest you take a look at some other games and how they pre-initialize all variables at the beginning of the script with default values instead of dynamically setting them somewhere in the script?

Not only will that allow savegame viewers to properly read all values, but more importantly it prevents 'Not defined' errors should a player take a path where the variable is not set.

And while we are at it, using more descriptive variable names and not abusing strings as numbers or even boolean values will save you A LOT of headache in the future.

m0us3r

Nov 28, 2020
I'm optimistic about the "Developer roadmap" (despite usual skepticism about sandboxes), because the game has a very solid foundation already. Even if it would be hard to make a full-blown RPG or something, it would still be a good game I guess.

4.50 star(s) 132 Votes