Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
So, on the first encounter with the blackmailer if you decide to follow his first order the battle screen show up but nothing that you could click works. Is a bug, right? if not the battle encounter them the not been able to follow that option? just wondering. Played the itchio version.
I just tested it, you have to click melee, then pick options from there. Rinse and repeat with different options to "beat" the encounter. It seems to break and not let you select anythng if you click any option other than melee, which is definitely a bug.

SugarMint
It's very confusing and the battle screen kind of feels out of place. I'd suggest either removing all the options that aren't used for the encounter and renaming "melee" to something more appropriate for the situation, or altering the UI design in some way to differentiate it from the regular "actual fighting" battles.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
So, on the first encounter with the blackmailer if you decide to follow his first order the battle screen show up but nothing that you could click works. Is a bug, right? if not the battle encounter them the not been able to follow that option? just wondering. Played the itchio version.
It's not a bug, just an UX issue. The melee button is supposed to launch the applicable melee actions for that encounter, just that it's not very obvious why it has to be like that.

I just tested it, you have to click melee, then pick options from there. Rinse and repeat with different options to "beat" the encounter. It seems to break and not let you select anythng if you click any option other than melee, which is definitely a bug.

SugarMint
It's very confusing and the battle screen kind of feels out of place. I'd suggest either removing all the options that aren't used for the encounter and renaming "melee" to something more appropriate for the situation, or altering the UI design in some way to differentiate it from the regular "actual fighting" battles.
I agree, it isn't very intuitive in its current state. The idea is to provide players a lot of ways to interact with the encounters, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't confuse the player. I'm working on it and I'm trying to find a solution, either through an interactive tutorial (which is difficult) either through altering the UI design like you said. I'd rather not alter it that much however, because there are supposed to be Ranged NSFW actions in the future as well, like throwing an aphrodisiac smoke bomb and so on.

Will try again, tried clicking on all the options but nothing cause a response so I was not sure what was wrong. Will see how this goes!
Notice that when scripted battle with Shyvan'sana from the festival locks the scene if click some options? even between the scripted options it just bugs and does not react to trying to click other options...
Sorry to hear that, do you have a save of when that happened? I've tested the encounter myself and it worked, but some specific actions can trigger an error in the combat code making every combat action unusable.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
I have just started playing this game and I have to congratulate SugarMint. From my point of view, the game is outstanding. You have to take really intelligent decisions. The plot is great. I like the combat system and the clues (and all the information) you can find in your smartwatch. I also like that the decisions you take could change your personality (charming - seductive, exhibitionist - modest, etc.: maybe this could be a bit more evident during the game.) It would be nice (this is a personal opinion) if you could clearly choose whether being only into boys or only into girls or even into both of them.

Anyway it is a great game and I would like to reassert my congratulations to SugarMint.
Thanks a lot for the very kind words. They are very motivating.
nice game thank you :love:
I'm glad you like it!

Hey Guys! AS I have noticed there are no Fan Signatures for this game yet, I have tried my best and here is my very first gif. I hope you like it.

View attachment 1582181

https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/01/1604952_MyFSignature.gif
Nice job! It's surprising in a very good way when someone likes the game so much they'd spend time to make a signature gif for it. :giggle:

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
I'd rather not alter it that much however, because there are supposed to be Ranged NSFW actions in the future as well, like throwing an aphrodisiac smoke bomb and so on.
I made a crappy mock-up of what I was thinking. Something like altering the names of certain actions and greying out useless options on a per-encounter basis. That and changing the "encountered an enemy" opening text to reflect the fact that you're not fighting an enemy, but rather engaging in some form of sexual interaction would go a long way towards clearing up confusion.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SugarMint

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017

Gonna be honest, this worries me. I love Malevolent Planet largely because it's a fairly lightweight text-based game with excellent writing, good art, and can run very easily in any of my shitty mobile devices. If the Unity version replaces or merges with the existing HTML version, that will likely no longer be the case (with regards to mobile compatbility. Newer devices, sure, but all my shit is old or using very low-budget specs) That, and I've seen far too many projects where the dev starts something new to avoid burnout and ends up burning themselves out even faster or development slows to a crawl as they try and work on two projects at once.

This is not meant as an attack on Sugarmint at all, I'm just expressing my concerns. I've seen too many promising games fail due to situations very similar to this to feel anything other than hesitant concern whenever a big change like this is announced in an established project. MP is a wonderful, fantastic game with an amazing atmosphere and I'd hate to lose that, so please understand that all my concerns are borne from a genuine appreciation of the work that's being done. I would be happy to learn that MP is the exception to the rule and that the text-based version won't be adversely affected by the development of a Unity version.

Apr 8, 2021

Gonna be honest, this worries me. I love Malevolent Planet largely because it's a fairly lightweight text-based game with excellent writing, good art, and can run very easily in any of my shitty mobile devices. If the Unity version replaces or merges with the existing HTML version, that will likely no longer be the case (with regards to mobile compatbility. Newer devices, sure, but all my shit is old or using very low-budget specs) That, and I've seen far too many projects where the dev starts something new to avoid burnout and ends up burning themselves out even faster or development slows to a crawl as they try and work on two projects at once.

This is not meant as an attack on Sugarmint at all, I'm just expressing my concerns. I've seen too many promising games fail due to situations very similar to this to feel anything other than hesitant concern whenever a big change like this is announced in an established project. MP is a wonderful, fantastic game with an amazing atmosphere and I'd hate to lose that, so please understand that all my concerns are borne from a genuine appreciation of the work that's being done. I would be happy to learn that MP is the exception to the rule and that the text-based version won't be adversely affected by the development of a Unity version.
Oh, these are pretty bad news also for me. My computer is a potato and it crashes when playing Unity (and other engines) games.

Reactions: Hargan2

PlasticDoll

Jul 9, 2020
My saves after the ship wreckage in the beginning always load to wrong times. I save at a choice, it instead loads at the beginning of the ship wreckage.

I'm playing on Joiplay. I download the game long ago, 2 versions older I think.. it was really smooth but playing the newest version is so laggy & slow.

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
My saves after the ship wreckage in the beginning always load to wrong times. I save at a choice, it instead loads at the beginning of the ship wreckage.

I'm playing on Joiplay. I download the game long ago, 2 versions older I think.. it was really smooth but playing the newest version is so laggy & slow.
Saving at choices has never worked the same way as other HTML games in this game. It resets you back to the start of the scene rather than loading you back at the choice. I dunno why, it's just how it is. As for joiplay, the game should run perfectly fine in almost any mobile browser, I use chrome on my 5 year old tablet and it runs perfectly fine. It may be an issue with joiplay rather than the game.

Reactions: PlasticDoll

PlasticDoll

Jul 9, 2020
Saving at choices has never worked the same way as other HTML games in this game. It resets you back to the start of the scene rather than loading you back at the choice. I dunno why, it's just how it is. As for joiplay, the game should run perfectly fine in almost any mobile browser, I use chrome on my 5 year old tablet and it runs perfectly fine. It may be an issue with joiplay rather than the game.
I kept saving, loading & repeating since I thought I was doing smthn wrong so I'm glad you told me this.
I always play on Joiplay even if web version is available cause its usually smoother but idk what changes either the game or Joiplay it doesn't play smooth anymore with the game. But I guess I'll try the web version, might be faster. Thank you

Reactions: Hargan2

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020

Merging the text game and the 2d game is a pretty far away plan and it might not be possible to achieve, so no worries on that front. For now, there's no reason to worry that the text game will be lagged down by the unity version.

Oh, these are pretty bad news also for me. My computer is a potato and it crashes when playing Unity (and other engines) games.
There's a wider demographic for 2d games, but I think it should work fine at least on your phone if not on your PC.

how do you beat shar'nul?
Energy damage.

Is there bdsm in this game?
Yes, here and there. There definitely is some BDSM content in the festival quest.

The saving issue was fixed, but I'm working on a content update to release it with.

About saving, it should save the page you're on, not reset back to the start of the scene. Sometimes, there's a page that has a lot of content on it so it may feel like you're going back to the beginning, but once you move to another passage it will save and load from there.

I kept saving, loading & repeating since I thought I was doing smthn wrong so I'm glad you told me this.
I always play on Joiplay even if web version is available cause its usually smoother but idk what changes either the game or Joiplay it doesn't play smooth anymore with the game. But I guess I'll try the web version, might be faster. Thank you
Do you remember by any chance where exactly you saved and where it actually took you when you loaded?

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
About saving, it should save the page you're on, not reset back to the start of the scene. Sometimes, there's a page that has a lot of content on it so it may feel like you're going back to the beginning, but once you move to another passage it will save and load from there.
For me, the Spa Day dream was where it was most noticeable and most annoying to an extent. For example, the "The Onsen" passage has multiple choices clustered close together and any save you make at those choices will always load you back at the start of the "The Onsen" passage, making it a pain to explore all those options as you have to click through choices you've already made before. It's been a while since I fully played through the game (waiting for the next bugfix update) but I believe the Festival also suffered from having long scenes that were single passages and suffered from that same issue.

Last edited:

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
Any news on updates ?
I know this is late, but here's the general deal:
The game isn't abandoned. The focus is on the unity version right now. The developer is the sole writer, artist, and coder for both the text and the unity games, and they're also working a regular job and assisting the development of Third Crisis on top of that. This has led to them having to prioritize one project at a time for time management. I think the current plan is something like one text game update every 3 or 4 months? Unsure. More updates are coming, but slowly.

I did recently get in touch with the developer and may be coming on board as a second writer for the text game, which I hope will help alleviate some of that burden. We're still working that out, though.

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
Remember to keep the choices when it comes to dicks, my girl is currently still virgin and seduced lots of girls....the first unavoidable dick would be the reason to drop the game right away.
If you keep this in mind i hope you "get the job" to speed things up here ^^

4.00 star(s) 6 Votes