Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
No...no one is saying it is the fault of the OS....
But you did when you told another person having this problem was because of Windows 7, and even suggested to "upgrade" the operating system ( ).

It is almost ALWAYS the fault of the Display Adapter and Drivers which for some OS' is lacking and no longer supported for modern standards or came with a video card that really isn't up to snuff to play a modern 3D rendered game that uses much of DX11 and 12 to render it's graphics.
Yes and no. I've shown that some older cards are able to handle this game in an earlier post several pages ago. Most of the problems with the drivers is because of an upgrade or because one is allowing the OS to update drivers via Windows Updates. In my past experience, having the OS update the device causes more problems than it solves, and in most cases actually makes things worse. So it's not always going to be the video card. In most cases it's due to the drivers themselves.

A directX12 card comes with drivers and libraries to support DX12 regardless of what is in the OS itself...
A DX10 card that hasn't had a driver update for that OS you are running since it came out will have problems.
DirectX isn't a device you can go to the store or online to purchase. So there is no such thing as a "DX card".

Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms.

WIn10 Drivers are ALL compatible with DX11 and 12 but not all Win7 drivers are...
And therein lies the problem some people are having. You are at the mercy of the GPU Manfacturer's support and for folks with nVidia and Radeon cards that isn't a real problem....
Those who have Intel or some other company's GPU may or may not have the drivers to play. And those with onboard display adapters are usually the ones who don't get driver updates since the Mobo Manf has moved on and would rather you buy another motherboard than spend money on making up to date drivers for you.
Again, if you had read my previous post ( ) regarding what I've discovered so far, you would have seen that I used an old HP Compaq 4000 small form factor (I incorrectly said it was a Dell.. I've since changed that in my OP) with an Intel B43 chipset running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to test an idea and the game played fine.

My conclusion is that if those who are experiencing this problem uninstalled the drivers for their video card and reinstalled using the software that came with the PC, motherboard (if you're using integrated video) or from the card's manufacturer (if you're using an expansion card - ex: PCI or PCIe), disabled the driver update through Windows Updates and not allowing the driver software to install any new updates, that will most likely correct the problem.

However... I am still waiting on my VM to finish Windows Updates before I can continue with any further testing.

Muramasa0

Thicc thighs for breakfast
Donor
Jun 25, 2018
How far is this game into its development? Does it has plenty of content that justify begin to play now or should I wait a little more?

Brian1635

Oct 22, 2017
Was wondering if anyone would know how to fix an error of switch to resolution failed screen dx11 could not switch old version of game works fine??? Any help would be much appreciated

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Great, thanks. I think I'll give it a try. My biggest concern is actually switching saves between versions, in any game.
Unfortunately there's no way around that with this game. In order to continue any new version that gets released, you'll have to copy all the files from the "savegames" folder of the earlier version and paste them into the "savegames" folder in the updated version.

Reactions: Muramasa0

Muramasa0

Thicc thighs for breakfast
Donor
Jun 25, 2018
Unfortunately there's no way around that with this game. In order to continue any new version that gets released, you'll have to copy all the files from the "savegames" folder of the earlier version and paste them into the "savegames" folder in the updated version.
If that's everything that has to be done, then it's perfect!

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Was wondering if anyone would know how to fix an error of switch to resolution failed screen dx11 could not switch old version of game works fine??? Any help would be much appreciated
Right now I am in the middle of running a few tests to determine the actual cause of the problem, but that will take a few hours for me to complete.

The only thing that I can recommend at present is to uninstall your video card drivers and reinstall them with the software provided by the manufacturer of the video card, motherboard or PC.

Don't allow your video card to search for or install any new updates and make sure that you don't download updates for your video card through Windows Updates.

Until I can recommend a better solution once I've done my testing, that's the only thing I can suggest.

Brian1635

Oct 22, 2017
Yea. Try that it auto dx11 could maby try dx10 don't know if it will let me the up dates have been turned off for years lol

jnewbold

Jun 22, 2018
I'm having problems furthering things with Amy. The hint says to get a drink with her at Neon, but I go there and have a drink and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Yea. Try that it auto dx11 could maby try dx10 don't know if it will let me the up dates have been turned off for years lol
What you could try is uninstall the version of DX that you have and install version 9. I've suggested to a few others to try that and it didn't work for them. Maybe it will work for you.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Well, there you go! I was able to get it to play in VMware and I didn't do anything special other than update the OS.

This is what's installed:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30728.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30728.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64) - 14.14.26429
Theorica Divx ;-) Codecs (remove only)
Unity Web Player
DirectX v9

The display adapter the VM is using is a VMware SVGA 3D (naturally, since it's in a VM..)

This fix is going to require some registry modifications.

@Faerin

Here is the fix.. Since I don't use any other codecs, this can't be verified since you're probably using various different codecs. Some of them may be the problem.

Uninstall any codec pack you're using and restart your computer. You can reinstall them as needed later on.

Windows 10 users, In your search box, type: regedit
..and press the enter key.

Windows 7 users, click your "Start" button, in the search box, type: regedit
..and press the enter key or click "OK".

This will open up your registry editor. After you do this, you will need to restart your computer. This will allow your computer to, for lack of a better word, "forget" that DirectX is installed since you will be installing version 9.
Code:
Navigate to: HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Delete the following registry key:
Code:
DirectX
Exit the registry editor and restart your computer.

After restart, install DirectX 9. Although you don't have to, you could restart your computer again.

Install Unity Web Player and install The-Codecs.

I would also recommend uninstalling your video card drivers and reinstalling the drivers that came with the PC, motherboard or card. Don't allow it to update and don't allow Windows Updates to install its drivers.

If you don't have a CD with the drivers you need, search for video card drivers from the system manufacturer's website, the manufacturer of your video card or motherboard.

Now try playing MotH.

Set your monitor's resolution to the highest setting it will go and make sure that the game's resolution matches.

Ex: 1024 x 768 (see rez.jpg)

4.20 star(s) 255 Votes