Noxusa

Mar 12, 2019
I talked to the dutch translator and he told me that he took over the translation after v0.8.2. He also told me that the previous translator was Belgian or Flamish and probably used machine translation.
If you want, I can also help. Dutch is my native language.

mahem

Apr 15, 2019
I talked to the dutch translator and he told me that he took over the translation after v0.8.2. He also told me that the previous translator was Belgian or Flamish and probably used machine translation.

then please ask him this one,"wauw ik voel me veel uitgeruster, ik hou van deze matras"
besides it is a verry strange sentence, the real problem is in the last bit "deze matras" die dat dit en deze are "aanwijzende voornaamworden" they are used to literly point things out as in this scentence "matras"
to know in dutch which one is used there is a easy rule of thumb.
if a word is a "de"word, die or deze should be used.
if it is a "het" word. dit or dat should be used.
scince a matras would be "het matras" mc would have slept verry well on "dit matras"
by the way there abselutly no difference between flamish and dutch in the written form, there is only a difference in the pronouncing of words unless he means somekind of belgian dialect like i speak a dutch dialect "remunjs"
but enough of that, i aplaud the dutch translator for putting time and effort in to make a dutch translation at all, but he has to realise that dutch people will start playing it in Dutch, and will notice misakes.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
then please ask him this one,"wauw ik voel me veel uitgeruster, ik hou van deze matras"
besides it is a verry strange sentence, the real problem is in the last bit "deze matras" die dat dit en deze are "aanwijzende voornaamworden" they are used to literly point things out as in this scentence "matras"
to know in dutch which one is used there is a easy rule of thumb.
if a word is a "de"word, die or deze should be used.
if it is a "het" word. dit or dat should be used.
scince a matras would be "het matras" mc would have slept verry well on "dit matras"
by the way there abselutly no difference between flamish and dutch in the written form, there is only a difference in the pronouncing of words unless he means somekind of belgian dialect like i speak a dutch dialect "remunjs"
but enough of that, i aplaud the dutch translator for putting time and effort in to make a dutch translation at all, but he has to realise that dutch people will start playing it in Dutch, and will notice misakes.
I don't know how far you into the game maybe still at the beginning, which would explain why the dutch translation is bad because of the machine translation, or because of an old mapping file. You could check if the translation improves after a few events and more progress.

Faerin

Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
I find this ironic.
"Matras" is originally a "de-woord" and "het matras" has only been introduced more recently due to people making the same mistake you do. So while I appreciate all input and people trying to improve the game and its translations, I'm sad to see that a translator gets criticized so easily (even unjustified), after putting in so much time and effort, free of charge, to enable people to play MotH in their native language.

I'm sure all translations can be improved.
If you (or anyone else) would like to help, feel free to send me a PM.

contramundi

Jul 15, 2018
after a post about the bad dutch translation, i actualy restarted this game to play it in dutch. and he is right the dutch translation is verry poor. besides the grammer mistakes which i could ignore most of the time the translations are way to often an excact translation from english to dutch. forinstance "holy shit" would never be translated by any dutch man to "heilige shit" there are actualy a lot of words in dutch which could be used here, like "verdomd, kollere, or just plain shit, as said i tried to play it in dutch but the mistakes or weird sentence buildup becomes so destracting i actualy was paying more attention to the mistakes then to the story.
it is realy a shame, it would be quite fun to play it in dutch, but as in any languice it isnt fun to do when things are said realy weird and the story becomes weird with it.
by the way, i did do a dutch incest patch it was a bit strange to have that in english when playing a dutch translation.
oh wow, you managed to pick out something that seems to be happening 2x in the course of 21k lines of the translation.

did you happen to notice how often it was translated correctly as well? Kolere is mentioned 160 times and then there's Allemachtig which is mentioned 76x and if i would look op every mention of Holy shit / holy crap i would probably find some other words that are being used as translations.

It's true that i've missed it 2x, i'm not perfect and instead of plainly plainly critisizing you can also send a pm with the mentions of dialogue that's incorrect, didn't i mention something earlier that there is always room for improvement or something like that? (If i'm not mistaken it's not that far back in this forum)

I was kind of planning to read through every bit of line ingame with 1.0.2 to see how read-able everything is so far and if needed make some more adjustments, Not to mention read through a file with 83k lines of code (at the release of 1.0.1) to see if my spellcheck has missed stuff. Because this last addition to the translation will actually be the stage where the game goes from beta to final-ish.

I've added a bit of the translation i've done, and small adjustments needed aside, i really can't see any of the weird "buildups" and unreadable stuff that makes it so you can't follow the story.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

stimtheone

Dec 3, 2018
I noticed the steam version was upcoming. Would it include things like achievements in steam, other things on top, would it perhaps have anything missing that is present in the extra version? Also, what pricing might it have?

Also, assuming that version would still have "landlady" and "roommate".

contramundi

Jul 15, 2018
I noticed the steam version was upcoming. Would it include things like achievements in steam, other things on top, would it perhaps have anything missing that is present in the extra version? Also, what pricing might it have?

Also, assuming that version would still have "landlady" and "roommate".
yeah i don't think steam allows incest at all tbh, i can't comment on the achievements, maybe faerin ports the overlapping achiements (or maybe all of them) to steam achievements (would be nice).

I do have a funny feeling that you would still be able to change the mapping.xml file yourself.

Steam versions are usually worse cause of censore.
Well, to be honest, House Party got around that by a simple text file to uncensor stuff, and i reckon a lot of other adult games use a similar approach, put the game (somewhat) censored and have an addon on there as well to uncensor.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Hello all it is with a heavy heart, and a tear in my eye that I release Man of the House Version 1.0.2 (extra)

The game for now is complete, but not completed, as Faerin is concentrating on his new game, so shall we say this is on hold for now

So all of you please

Enjoy

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

UncleVT could you please update the OP Thanks

4.20 star(s) 255 Votes