TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Appreciate the time. I'm hesitant to change my video drivers since the ones I have now work fine with my older card (1070Ti) and all of the other games I play and newer drivers tend to screw up one aspect or another. I do recall playing this game to completion years ago on the same system so I'm not sure what may have changed between then and now apart from this being the "final" version of the game.

The game is installed on a drive separate from my OS drive. The same drive I install all other games (including those from this site) without any issues. Yes I have all permissions accessing, modifying, writing etc. for the entirety of the drive. I've also noticed that "Continue" from the main screen remains locked whenever I come back to play but I can get around that easily by just starting a new game and playing (holding CTRL) until I get the phone unlocked, and from there I can load my saves.

EDIT: Picked it up from your save and it was going well enough until the second time seeing MC's mom in the bath, after which the exact same problem happened in the hallway. Stuck on the text "I like where this is going" or whatever without being able to advance or move locations. I'm not having that problem with any of the other paths (Veronica, Ashley, etc.). All are progressing through all of the stages without any issues, so I suppose I'll just skip the mother's story and enjoy the rest of the game for what it is.
How deep is the game buried? How many folders?
Were you able to see any of the animations?
hard to get concert ticket only getting the robber.... pls help...
The shady guy and robbers are random, the only help I can say is to walk around a lot at night.

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
4 folders deep on the drive; I keep a fairly organized library. And yes, I can see the animations without issue.
Can you attach your output log, please?
Use the Windows + R keys and paste the following in your Run box:
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Faerin\Man of the House

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
4 folders deep on the drive; I keep a fairly organized library. And yes, I can see the animations without issue.
Humm, depending on how long those folder names are, that could be part of it, but not too likely.
Do any of the folders (or user name) have any non English characters, like an accent or tilde?
Are any of the folders hidden?
Ummm...

Reactions: rKnight and Sycho

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Humm, depending on how long those folder names are, that could be part of it, but not too likely.
Do any of the folders (or user name) have any non English characters, like an accent or tilde?
Are any of the folders hidden?
Ummm...
No to all of them. And no, none of the folder names are excessively long. The longest is in the name of the game: "Man of the House".

crusherkg

Sep 15, 2024
Amy - Heart - 25
Kiss - 30
whip - 30

cant enter her house even after 22.00 and there is no walk through... pls.. help

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Just out of curiosity, did you get the game from here or through Steam?
Directly from the GoFile link on the front page here. I just keep all of my games in separate Steam subfolders with a shortcut from that folder on the desktop for ease of access (which is why I forgot it was actually 6 subfolders instead of 4--though I don't expect that's the issue here as it's never impacted any other game I've ever played).

EDIT: For further context, I played an earlier version of this game a couple years ago (it wasn't complete but was only a couple of iterations away from it) without any problems whatsoever. Saved to the same subfolder on the same computer with the same setup. I was able to complete the mother's route without any issues at all. It's only this completed version where I'm getting these soft freezes. And (so far) only with the mother's route after discovering the email to the therapist. I've been down the younger sister's route to the point where the dates start and the older sister's route to where she invites you to watch her and the mother sunbathe on the roof. I haven't played further to see if those routes also freeze up at some point.

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Directly from the GoFile link on the front page here. I just keep all of my games in separate Steam subfolders with a shortcut from that folder on the desktop for ease of access (which is why I forgot it was actually 6 subfolders instead of 4--though I don't expect that's the issue here as it's never impacted any other game I've ever played).
No, probably not, but we are trying to eliminate all the usual things. This is quite unusual.

Slightly unrelated note, this is a Daz game, not Illusion, not that it's related to the issue. lol

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Actually, having it buried under multiple sub-folders would cause unusual problems with the game, and it looks like that's what you are encountering now. I've seen that a lot over the years.

If you had purchased the game from Steam, this wouldn't be an issue as "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common" would be the default location for Steam games (though I've seen variations of this as well over the years). But since you have the non-Steam version, you would need to shorten the game's path.

Just because that might work for some games, doesn't mean it will work with others, as is the case here.

Last edited:

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Actually, having it buried under multiple sub-folders would cause unusual problems with the game, and it looks like that's what you are encountering now. I've seen that a lot over the years.

If you had purchased the game from Steam, this wouldn't be an issue as "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common" would be the default location for Steam games (though I've seen variations of this as well over the years). But since you have the non-Steam version, you would need to shorten the game's path.

Just because that might work for some games, doesn't mean it will work with others, as is the case here.
Well as I said before I had no issues with an almost complete previous version of this same game and haven't had this problem with any of hundreds of others of games of various types. It's unique to this particular game. But I'll indulge you and move it to its own folder on the drive it's on when I have time later to see if that changes anything.

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled on a folder directly off the drive, loaded up the save from a backup and still have the same problem in the same spot. Still able to play through other routes (again, for now, haven't had time to complete their routes to test). I don't have time at the moment to start a new game completely from scratch to test since it takes a long while to get to the mother path that starts breaking for me, but I suspect it wouldn't change anything.

No, probably not, but we are trying to eliminate all the usual things. This is quite unusual.

Slightly unrelated note, this is a Daz game, not Illusion, not that it's related to the issue. lol
I'm aware. The first game of this type I ever downloaded 10-15 years ago was an Illusion game so after that I pretty much just kept all of these in that same subfolder since it was easy to remember. Ren'py, Daz, HTML, "Other", etc.. Just easier for me to keep track of and keep the folders cleaned up when I complete the games.

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Well as I said before I had no issues with an almost complete previous version of this same game and haven't had this problem with any of hundreds of others of games of various types. It's unique to this particular game. But I'll indulge you and move it to its own folder on the drive it's on when I have time later to see if that changes anything.

EDIT: Uninstalled and reinstalled on a folder directly off the drive, loaded up the save from a backup and still have the same problem in the same spot. Still able to play through other routes (again, for now, haven't had time to complete their routes to test). I don't have time at the moment to start a new game completely from scratch to test since it takes a long while to get to the mother path that starts breaking for me, but I suspect it wouldn't change anything.

I'm aware. The first game of this type I ever downloaded 10-15 years ago was an Illusion game so after that I pretty much just kept all of these in that same subfolder since it was easy to remember. Ren'py, Daz, HTML, "Other", etc.. Just easier for me to keep track of and keep the folders cleaned up when I complete the games.
The only other suggestions that come to mind are these:
  1. Go into Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Display adapters. If you have a second video card installed, try disabling one of them and see if that resolves the issue you are having.
  2. Go and download the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes from a mirror site closest to you. Unzip the files to a temporary folder (which you can delete later) and run the "install_all.bat" file.
  3. Go and download the K-Lite basic codec pack. There is nothing you need to configure during install, just use the default installation method.
  4. Check your resolution. The game is best played using 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio).

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
The only other suggestions that come to mind are these:
  1. Go into Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Display adapters. If you have a second video card installed, try disabling one of them and see if that resolves the issue you are having.
  2. Go and download the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes from a mirror site closest to you. Unzip the files to a temporary folder (which you can delete later) and run the "install_all.bat" file.
  3. Go and download the K-Lite basic codec pack. There is nothing you need to configure during install, just use the default installation method.
  4. Check your resolution. The game is best played using 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio).
1. Only the one video card. No issues there.
3. I always have that updated. I get popup reminders whenever new ones are available and install them pretty much whenever they are.
4. I prefer playing in a windowed mode at 1600 (which I also did with the previous version of the game) but just to test I went ahead and played fullscreen at 1920. No change. Still soft freeze at the same exact point (I realize "soft freeze" isn't really a term, but since I'm able to click the chat log and "hide UI" buttons and have them both respond as they should while I simultaneously can't click past the dialogue to progress I feel it's somewhat appropriate.)

As far as 2 goes I can't imagine that changing anything since I've installed the C++ Runtimes previously for other games, but I'll give it a try this weekend when I've got some time.

Feel free to give up on this one. Apparently I'm experiencing something nobody else ever has while playing this game and as I've said I have no issues with any of the hundreds of others I'm playing currently or have played in the past, so if it means I'm just out of luck in this case I'll shrug it off, uninstall and move on to something else. It's a decent enough game from what I remember but it's definitely showing its age and not worth you wasting your brainpower or me turning my computer inside out trying to ferret out the problem.

4.20 star(s) 259 Votes