Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
1. Only the one video card. No issues there.
3. I always have that updated. I get popup reminders whenever new ones are available and install them pretty much whenever they are.
4. I prefer playing in a windowed mode at 1600 (which I also did with the previous version of the game) but just to test I went ahead and played fullscreen at 1920. No change. Still soft freeze at the same exact point (I realize "soft freeze" isn't really a term, but since I'm able to click the chat log and "hide UI" buttons and have them both respond as they should while I simultaneously can't click past the dialogue to progress I feel it's somewhat appropriate.)

As far as 2 goes I can't imagine that changing anything since I've installed the C++ Runtimes previously for other games, but I'll give it a try this weekend when I've got some time.

Feel free to give up on this one. Apparently I'm experiencing something nobody else ever has while playing this game and as I've said I have no issues with any of the hundreds of others I'm playing currently or have played in the past, so if it means I'm just out of luck in this case I'll shrug it off, uninstall and move on to something else. It's a decent enough game from what I remember but it's definitely showing its age and not worth you wasting your brainpower or me turning my computer inside out trying to ferret out the problem.
Yeah, this is quite unusual and hasn't been reported us or to Faerin. If you already have all of the runtimes installed, you should be okay as far as that is concerned. I'll ask him to look over the output log. He might see something that I'm overlooking. The only other thing that comes to mind is software conflicting with Unity, but in a lot of those instances, they cause the game to crash as soon as you try to load the game, and that isn't what is happening in this case. Though it probably wouldn't hurt to ask anyway. Do you use any of the following:
  • Nahimic
  • FMOD
  • Citrix (this one would cause a game crash immediately, so we can rule that out)
  • Strix
  • Aegis 3
  • Sonic Studio
  • RivaTuner Statistics Server
  • Apple/Quicktime products (including "Bonjour")
  • Portrait Displays\Pivot Software
  • ReShade
  • Fresco Logic USB graphics driver

Reactions: TheDevian

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
This is the one in the list that springs out at me. I have it installed for better Star Wars Galaxies textures. However I've played many other Unity games since installing that over a year ago with no crashes or other issues.

I suppose uninstalling it to test is an option, but it was kind of a ballache to tweak the options in-game in SWG to what I wanted so I'd prefer to save that as a last resort if you're keen to continue chasing this weird bug down.

The only other item on the list that might be relevant is a single "Apple" product: iTunes. But I've had that on this system for as long as I've had it (which, admittedly, is a loooong fucking time now--don't have the money to get a replacement and this one is filing for social security). iTunes has fucked me over so I WOULD happily get rid of it but it's currently the only way I can hear some of my purchased music due to their ridiculous copy protection nonsense early on and I've yet to find a suitable method of breaking it free. They offer a service at an additional charge. Fuck that. Anyway, digression over, the point is I won't be uninstalling that to test. Both because I seriously doubt that's the conflict and because of the fuckery with a portion of my music library (I've long since switched happily to MusicBee for all my music/audio content).

Far more information than you need, I know. I'm tetchy after a long work week. Mea culpa.

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
This is the one in the list that springs out at me. I have it installed for better Star Wars Galaxies textures. However I've played many other Unity games since installing that over a year ago with no crashes or other issues.

I suppose uninstalling it to test is an option, but it was kind of a ballache to tweak the options in-game in SWG to what I wanted so I'd prefer to save that as a last resort if you're keen to continue chasing this weird bug down.

The only other item on the list that might be relevant is a single "Apple" product: iTunes. But I've had that on this system for as long as I've had it (which, admittedly, is a loooong fucking time now--don't have the money to get a replacement and this one is filing for social security). iTunes has fucked me over so I WOULD happily get rid of it but it's currently the only way I can hear some of my purchased music due to their ridiculous copy protection nonsense early on and I've yet to find a suitable method of breaking it free. They offer a service at an additional charge. Fuck that. Anyway, digression over, the point is I won't be uninstalling that to test. Both because I seriously doubt that's the conflict and because of the fuckery with a portion of my music library (I've long since switched happily to MusicBee for all my music/audio content).

Far more information than you need, I know. I'm tetchy after a long work week. Mea culpa.
No, you won't need to disable or remove it. Go into the ReShade folder and remove "dxgi.dll".

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

Are you using touch screen, or something unusual?

You might want to try a fresh install, in a non-Steam folder, see if that helps...

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Are you using touch screen, or something unusual?

You might want to try a fresh install, in a non-Steam folder, see if that helps...
No touch screens or anything "unusual". Just a standard budget PC setup.

As I mentioned above, I've already tried reinstalling in a folder directly off the drive and ran into the exact same issue, so no dice there either.

No, you won't need to disable or remove it. Go into the ReShade folder and remove "dxgi.dll".
There is no specific "ReShade" folder since the installer basically integrates it into SWG's folder as part of the installation process. I found the file there (ran a search through the entire PC just to be sure it was the only instance of the file) and temporarily renamed it to test. Still no change to the problem I'm having in MotH.

Personally I find this bug particularly strange since it's happening at the end of a string of monologue that should, from what I recall, transition right into free movement. No special animations or such are playing or are being called, it should just be a simple flag change to "this event happened, check it off the list and wait for the next trigger".

• Thinking Face

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
No touch screens or anything "unusual". Just a standard budget PC setup.

As I mentioned above, I've already tried reinstalling in a folder directly off the drive and ran into the exact same issue, so no dice there either.

There is no specific "ReShade" folder since the installer basically integrates it into SWG's folder as part of the installation process. I found the file there (ran a search through the entire PC just to be sure it was the only instance of the file) and temporarily renamed it to test. Still no change to the problem I'm having in MotH.

Personally I find this bug particularly strange since it's happening at the end of a string of monologue that should, from what I recall, transition right into free movement. No special animations or such are playing or are being called, it should just be a simple flag change to "this event happened, check it off the list and wait for the next trigger".
I'll see if I can locate your save in the thread and take a look at it. There might be a way to get around that without bugging the save, though it would take some time to locate in the save itself.

When this occurs, are you able to go to your room, click on the PC and register a fake email address? Or does the problem occur before that?

Just to give you some idea where I am at in your save, I left Claire's bedroom, changed the time to 20:00 the following day, went back into Claire's room, read the email on her laptop and now I am in MC's room sitting down at the desk and registering a fake email address while sending the first fake email.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
I'll see if I can locate your save in the thread and take a look at it. There might be a way to get around that without bugging the save, though it would take some time to locate in the save itself.

When this occurs, are you able to go to your room, click on the PC and register a fake email address? Or does the problem occur before that?

Just to give you some idea where I am at in your save, I left Claire's bedroom, changed the time to 20:00 the following day, went back into Claire's room, read the email on her laptop and now I am in MC's room sitting down at the desk and registering a fake email address while sending the first fake email.
The first "freeze" happened just after exiting her room after having read the email to the therapist, hanging on the line "(Ok, we've got work to do!)".

I can give you another one for more data.

This one is after the events you listed above (using the save file provided by TheDevian a couple pages ago). I've already walked in on her in the bath once and sat with her in front of the TV afterwards. This is just before you walk in on her in the bath for the second time (if you advance the time one hour). After that scene unfolds the MC is standing in the hallway monologuing and the "freeze" happens on the line "(I like where this is going.)"

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
The first "freeze" happened just after exiting her room after having read the email to the therapist, hanging on the line "(Ok, we've got work to do!)".

I can give you another one for more data.

This one is after the events you listed above (using the save file provided by TheDevian a couple pages ago). I've already walked in on her in the bath once and sat with her in front of the TV afterwards. This is just before you walk in on her in the bath for the second time (if you advance the time one hour). After that scene unfolds the MC is standing in the hallway monologuing and the "freeze" happens on the line "(I like where this is going.)"
I think I see what's going on. There's two flags that are the same (the second identical flag shouldn't be there), though one is changed after the bathroom event with Claire while the other one did not. So I changed the identical flag in order to match the first one. You should still see the same two hints (taking a bath in the evening and watching TV in the living room). If you do the bathroom event a second time (the following day), her hint should change to a single hint suggesting taking a bath with her.

And just a reminder, delete your original save and load this one instead. If you have the game running, go into the phone and load this save. Please let me know if that helped. I'll hold on to this save in case I need to check anything else.

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
I think I see what's going on. There's two flags that are the same (the second identical flag shouldn't be there), though one is changed after the bathroom event with Claire while the other one did not. So I changed the identical flag in order to match the first one. You should still see the same two hints (taking a bath in the evening and watching TV in the living room). If you do the bathroom event a second time (the following day), her hint should change to a single hint suggesting taking a bath with her.

And just a reminder, delete your original save and load this one instead. If you have the game running, go into the phone and load this save. Please let me know if that helped. I'll hold on to this save in case I need to check anything else.
Sadly, nope. From your save I fast-forward the game time to 20:00 the next evening, go through the bathroom scene and still get stuck at "(I like where this is going.)" after the scene ends.

I'm going to attach another save made just before the event based on your save. All I've done is forward the clock to 19:00 the next day. Maybe you'll be able to see if flags got changed again for some reason.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Sadly, nope. From your save I fast-forward the game time to 20:00 the next evening, go through the bathroom scene and still get stuck at "(I like where this is going.)" after the scene ends.

I'm going to attach another save made just before the event based on your save. All I've done is forward the clock to 19:00 the next day. Maybe you'll be able to see if flags got changed again for some reason.
Yeah, for some reason, the second flag was changed (it was at 0 instead of 1) until after I did the bathroom event (got 1 arousal and 2 love stats as well).

After that, I see the same two hints... "She takes her bath in the evening" and "She usually watches some TV after taking her evening bath".

So the first thing to do would be to watch TV with her at 21:00. (gained 1 arousal, 2 love stats).

Then after that is when I see the single hint, "Maybe I can join her when she's taking her bath". That is the hint you should be seeing now. You should also be facing the dining room/stairs with the day and time as "Tuesday 22:30".

• Thinking Face

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Yeah, for some reason, the second flag was changed (it was at 0 instead of 1) until after I did the bathroom event (got 1 arousal and 2 love stats as well).

After that, I see the same two hints... "She takes her bath in the evening" and "She usually watches some TV after taking her evening bath".

So the first thing to do would be to watch TV with her at 21:00. (gained 1 arousal, 2 love stats).

Then after that is when I see the single hint, "Maybe I can join her when she's taking her bath". That is the hint you should be seeing now. You should also be facing the dining room/stairs with the day and time as "Tuesday 22:30".
I did get those stat updates after the event as well before the freeze. I guess the real question now is WHY is there a duplicate flag happening there and why is it being changed when no actions are being taken beyond time skips.

I played through the next event (sharing the bath) and so far no freeze, I'll keep beelining her path and see if anything else pops up.

One separate thing to note, any time I load up a save it never places me in the location in the picture--it always starts me in my bedroom regardless. I also did just realize I never tried any of the other links on the front page to see if I got the same results. Theoretically they should all be the same, I know, but sometimes shit happens. If I get stuck again I'll give that a try just for the hell of it.

EDIT: Almost immediately after posting I ran into another "freeze". The MC is trying to approach the mother throughout the day after the awkward bath scene and decides to sleep naked since she "can't resist". During that scene the mother walks past without stopping to look and the MC is monologuing again. The freeze happens at "(My plan! Of course!)", which I assume is when the flag is supposed to be changed for the next event in the series.

This time I'm going to include two save files. The first will be me loading your save and then immediately saving it again in a separate file to see if something is being changed just from loading it. The second will be just before going to bed for the night when the MC should sleep naked with the door open to entice the mother.

In the meantime I'm going to download from one of the other links in the OP, load from your save and see if that changes anything.

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I did get those stat updates after the event as well before the freeze. I guess the real question now is WHY is there a duplicate flag happening there and why is it being changed when no actions are being taken beyond time skips.

I played through the next event (sharing the bath) and so far no freeze, I'll keep beelining her path and see if anything else pops up.

One separate thing to note, any time I load up a save it never places me in the location in the picture--it always starts me in my bedroom regardless. I also did just realize I never tried any of the other links on the front page to see if I got the same results. Theoretically they should all be the same, I know, but sometimes shit happens. If I get stuck again I'll give that a try just for the hell of it.

EDIT: Almost immediately after posting I ran into another "freeze". The MC is trying to approach the mother throughout the day after the awkward bath scene and decides to sleep naked since she "can't resist". During that scene the mother walks past without stopping to look and the MC is monologuing again. The freeze happens at "(My plan! Of course!)", which I assume is when the flag is supposed to be changed for the next event in the series.

This time I'm going to include two save files. The first will be me loading your save and then immediately saving it again in a separate file to see if something is being changed just from loading it. The second will be just before going to bed for the night when the MC should sleep naked with the door open to entice the mother.

In the meantime I'm going to download from one of the other links in the OP, load from your save and see if that changes anything.

I don't have an answer as to why the duplicate flags are showing up, though I have seen it on a few occasions. Sometimes it doesn't cause problems as long as one of the flags gets set.

To answer your second question, it should show the location where you last created a manual save, and doesn't have any bearing on the game itself so I would ignore that. In this instance, it's probably due to the last location you were at, and I saved it from a different location. Which is why we don't ask for the thumbnails along with the saves.

And as for the third question, it's the same file from the mega link, the uploader is just using alternate links in case one isn't working.

I'm beginning to suspect, since this problem hasn't been reported before (neither here, Discord or on Steam) that it's likely an OS related issue. Generally I wouldn't suggest a fresh install of the OS just for a game, but in my experience, I have seen this resolve a lot of game issues. Especially if the same issue is popping up consistently, because it sounds like that's going to be the case throughout your gameplay, unfortunately.

Last edited:

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
I'm beginning to suspect, since this problem hasn't been reported before (neither here, Discord or on Steam) that it's likely an OS related issue. Generally I wouldn't suggest a fresh install of the OS just for a game, but in my experience, I have seen this resolve a lot of game issues. Especially if the same issue is popping up consistently, because it sounds like that's going to be the case throughout your gameplay, unfortunately.
Well I have an even simpler answer: The file from the GoFile link was borked somehow.

I used that link twice to download and install the game. Both times resulted in the issues I've been reporting.

Just now I used the Pixeldrain link, installed it, loaded it up and INSTANTLY there was a change: The Continue button was unlocked. It hadn't been the whole rest of the time. I hit continue, loaded up my save, played through to the scene I described in my previous post and voila, no hangs. I was able to click through the dialogue and now I'm on to the next task with no issues whatsoever.

Guess I know what I'll be trying first next time something like this happens, though this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen...

I'd personally warn people off that GoFile link in the meantime. Not sure if it's the file itself on their server or some corruption in the data while downloading from them, but it's the culprit.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Sycho and TheDevian

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Well I have an even simpler answer: The file from the GoFile link was borked somehow.

I used that link twice to download and install the game. Both times resulted in the issues I've been reporting.

Just now I used the Pixeldrain link, installed it, loaded it up and INSTANTLY there was a change: The Continue button was unlocked. It hadn't been the whole rest of the time. I hit continue, loaded up my save, played through to the scene I described in my previous post and voila, no hangs. I was able to click through the dialogue and now I'm on to the next task with no issues whatsoever.

Guess I know what I'll be trying first next time something like this happens, though this is the first time I've ever had something like this happen...

I'd personally warn people off that GoFile link in the meantime. Not sure if it's the file itself on their server or some corruption in the data while downloading from them, but it's the culprit.
That sounds like a bit of good news. Hopefully that works for you from here on out. :)

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Thanks for trying, at least. Sorry it all turned out to be a wild goose chase that we all wasted our time on. lol
Not a problem at all, that's what we're here for. I'm just happy the problem resolved itself. Hopefully you can play the game through without running into other issues like that down the road. But if you, just scream and one of us will take a look. :LOL:

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
Not a problem at all, that's what we're here for. I'm just happy the problem resolved itself. Hopefully you can play the game through without running into other issues like that down the road. But if you, just scream and one of us will take a look. :LOL:
So far it really does seem like downloading from a different source has cleared everything up. I even went back and loaded from the very first point I was getting the issue and haven't had a single problem. I'm actually semi-embarrassed that I didn't think to try this before asking for help here (I'm a bit of a problem-solver myself).

Reactions: Sycho and TheDevian

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
So far it really does seem like downloading from a different source has cleared everything up. I even went back and loaded from the very first point I was getting the issue and haven't had a single problem. I'm actually semi-embarrassed that I didn't think to try this before asking for help here (I'm a bit of a problem-solver myself).
What's odd, though, is you'd been playing it all this time and never ran into a problem until the start of the bath scene with Claire. I've seen some weird stuff in my day, but this is, by far, a first. All it takes is one hiccup during download and welcome to upside down world. It reminds me of my BBS days where I'd be downloading something from a board and someone in the house picks up the phone. (*scream from inside the house* sorry, I didn't realize you were using the phone!) lol

docsteel

Aug 20, 2017
What's odd, though, is you'd been playing it all this time and never ran into a problem until the start of the bath scene with Claire. I've seen some weird stuff in my day, but this is, by far, a first. All it takes is one hiccup during download and welcome to upside down world. It reminds me of my BBS days where I'd be downloading something from a board and someone in the house picks up the phone. (*scream from inside the house* sorry, I didn't realize you were using the phone!) lol
One missing/corrupted byte of data is all it takes. And here I thought my days of doing checksums was over...

To be fair I WAS having a problem from the very start in that the Continue button never unlocked, but since you could always load a game from the phone after the short introduction I never bothered exploring the "why" of it and just chalked it up to quirks of the game.

Man I remember those days of downloading things overnight when the phone line wouldn't be in use then waking up to discover it had actually hung at like 10% and never completed. For a filesize of 100mb or so. I don't miss "the good old days".

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
One missing/corrupted byte of data is all it takes. And here I thought my days of doing checksums was over...

To be fair I WAS having a problem from the very start in that the Continue button never unlocked, but since you could always load a game from the phone after the short introduction I never bothered exploring the "why" of it and just chalked it up to quirks of the game.

Man I remember those days of downloading things overnight when the phone line wouldn't be in use then waking up to discover it had actually hung at like 10% and never completed. For a filesize of 100mb or so. I don't miss "the good old days".
That is what normally happens when you don't do a manual save, only the auto saves.

4.20 star(s) 259 Votes