VN Ren'Py Abandoned Master Rune [v0.3] [LizardsFromSpace]

4.60 star(s) 17 Votes

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
This was written on his patreon page
" Currently not putting much out due to life stuff. Will update this page if I get back into any of my projects or start a new one".
Bruh... what does the dev mean by "... start a new one"? Is dev only by himself or with a group?

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
To answer your question, I'm just a single guy doing this in my spare time. It probably doesn't seem like a lot, but it took me forever to learn KK/Studio/Ren'py/etc. to get even the small version 0.1 out. I actually ended up releasing it as is because it got to the point I'd spent so much time on it (nobody else had ever seen it) that I started getting paranoid I was making a game nobody would actually play. For the sake of my sanity I consider Master Rune a practice/for fun project. Mostly because there's no guarantee it will ever earn me a dime. (Maybe it's a bit of a faux pas to say that, but there it is.)

Anyway, real life did indeed occur (I had to move again for reasons) so whatever I was doing unfortunately had to take a backseat for awhile while I got my life sorted. That being said, I've been thinking about Master Rune a lot.

As of now, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I got a better GPU at some point in the interim, so I've been debating whether to continue as I was or try to remake the game (or start something new entirely) in HS2 with much better graphical detail. I like the anime style of KK and I think it fits the story I wanted to tell, but it definitely seems to be falling out of favor these days. That leaves me wondering if more people will find the artstyle off-putting rather than appealing, and whether or not I'm crippling the game's potential by using KK.

Of course, there's also something to be said about finishing what I've started.

Regardless, I've been quiet mostly because I don't have anything to show at the moment. I realize that's lame and perhaps even disappointing to some, but I like to imagine saying so is preferable to ghosting the project forever.

I'll be sure to post an update when I'm reasonably confident I know how I'll be proceeding. In the meantime feel free to let me know if anyone's interested in seeing updates to this thing or even just to tell me to go fuck myself or something.

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
To answer your question, I'm just a single guy doing this in my spare time. It probably doesn't seem like a lot, but it took me forever to learn KK/Studio/Ren'py/etc. to get even the small version 0.1 out. I actually ended up releasing it as is because it got to the point I'd spent so much time on it (nobody else had ever seen it) that I started getting paranoid I was making a game nobody would actually play. For the sake of my sanity I consider Master Rune a practice/for fun project. Mostly because there's no guarantee it will ever earn me a dime. (Maybe it's a bit of a faux pas to say that, but there it is.)

Anyway, real life did indeed occur (I had to move again for reasons) so whatever I was doing unfortunately had to take a backseat for awhile while I got my life sorted. That being said, I've been thinking about Master Rune a lot.

As of now, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I got a better GPU at some point in the interim, so I've been debating whether to continue as I was or try to remake the game (or start something new entirely) in HS2 with much better graphical detail. I like the anime style of KK and I think it fits the story I wanted to tell, but it definitely seems to be falling out of favor these days. That leaves me wondering if more people will find the artstyle off-putting rather than appealing, and whether or not I'm crippling the game's potential by using KK.

Regardless, I've been quiet mostly because I don't have anything to show at the moment. I realize that's lame and perhaps even disappointing to some, but I like to imagine saying so is preferable to ghosting the project forever.

I'll be sure to post an update when I'm reasonably confident I know how I'll be proceeding. In the meantime feel free to let me know if anyone's interested in seeing updates to this thing or even just to tell me to go fuck myself or something.
Thank you for giving us a status report dev, hope you're doing well. As for the preferred art style, I'm fine with KK. The characters look good enough for me in KK. I think its much better for you to stick on what you already started and improve, and add updates upon it.

Reactions: LizardsFromSpace

Miury

Jan 13, 2021
Dev, I really liked your project. For me it is on the same level as HHG, Overpowered, Winds of Destiny and CoR. I know what you mean by "It took me forever to learn KK...". I wanted to start my own project. I have so many ideas written down in notes about plot. I'm sure people will like it, but I would like my game to have a memorable style. My point is that you should love this game in the first place. If you feel that the development does not give a pleasant feeling, then either stop the project or close it. You do it for yourself, then for us. But we will be waiting for news from you Dev.

hofom77573

Apr 17, 2021
I thought the girls looked cute but it's the story that brings things to life. Some will complain just for the fun of complaining.

Was cleaning up my game folder removing Abandoned clutter so as this isn't being worked on since it's initial release I'll remove it for now. 4 months after the initial release without an update isn't going to attract a lot of attention. Weekly or Monthly tops keeps it advertised in the Latest Updates.

As a consolation prize follow these steps to get a game developers tag
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Gorrik

Jul 1, 2018
Personally, I prefer KK over HS2. Especially for the kind of setting your story takes place. I like both, tend to lean more toward KK but I also think KK just works better for fantasy settings. I admit though, I will more often try early builds for a KK game than I will a HS2 game. Just.. so many big HS2 games that I used to really care about that now only update once every few months, if that, for 15 minutes of content. I also thought you did a good job with the characters. I've played many KK games and your character designs are unique to your game, theres none that I've looked at and gone "Oh that is basically X-character from that other game I played." I actually tend to feel this way a lot more with HS games, which is probably part of why I prefer KK.

Just my two cents, I enjoyed your game so far and I hope you figure out what you want to do with it.

CoffeeSaint

Mar 12, 2022
hey, Dev,

hope this finds you well.
above all: thanks for Master Rune; albeit still a bit content-short, it has a great foundation — especially on its characters — therefore a strong innate potential.
also, I second what Gorrik wrote in post #26: even though HS2 — when compared to KK — gives a dev and the story a whole new level of reality detail, I see your game's lore as KK-related. and your girls are tremendously cute, mate. :love:

I wish you the very best, and Godspeed with Master Rune.

cheers.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Wanted to post an update and let anyone interested know I've been working on Master Rune quite a bit over the last week or so. I took a brief stint to mess around in HS2 and learned quite a bit, then came back to KK and realized how much I could improve on. Specifically in regards to modeling/lighting, though I forgot how limited KK's lighting is so that's of perhaps dubious value.

Most of the characters have undergone some changes I believe make them far more appealing, but of course taste is subjective. I'll probably throw up some screenshots when I finalize them.

Shiro's intro is probably the only one that will feature those updated models of the already available content, since I want to focus more on making new content. I just wasn't particularly satisfied with that scene, so in I went ahead and remade it.

I also took some time to clean up the script as a way to get back into the swing of things. A lot of lines were changed and many more added. I went ahead and fleshed out the world more in my outline, and all of the characters have far more rounded stories/personalities than the ideas I was working with before, which should allow me to write up plenty of satisfying character arcs and conclusions. I have several more characters mostly fleshed out, modeled, and ready to be debuted.

One notable change is Rune is a bit more human. He was giving me serious detached sociopath vibes (for good reasons, and he is still that guy) but he should be more interesting to read now. Also his hands are approximately 20% smaller because why were they so big?

Right now progress is mostly slowed by the Ren'py side of things. My intention wasn't really to make Master Rune a kinetic novel, but I'll admit my forte lies in the writing side of things and not the game deving aspect.

Basically, I'm debating on how "gamey" it should actually be. Whatever features I implement can't detract from the story/romance/dating stuff, so it may just come down to traditional visual novel choices that somewhat change the narrative/unlock new scenes/etc. I haven't ruled anything out yet.

Anyway, I think that's all I've got for now. Steadily working toward the next release. No estimates because I still have no concept for how long certain things are going to take.

Once again, thanks for the kind words. The fact people enjoy things I make will forever be an awesome and humbling experience.

Last edited:

hofom77573

Apr 17, 2021
Basically, I'm debating on how "gamey" it should actually be. Whatever features I implement can't detract from the story/romance/dating stuff, so it may just come down to traditional visual novel choices that somewhat change the narrative/unlock new scenes/etc. I haven't ruled anything out yet.
I seen many devs try to compete with too many features as they crash and burn so if a more simple VN approach will help you keep the story focused without a lot of scope creep then I say do that (y) Especially if it allows you to keep the release schedule under control.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
I seen many devs try to compete with too many features as they crash and burn so if a more simple VN approach will help you keep the story focused without a lot of scope creep then I say do that (y) Especially if it allows you to keep the release schedule under control.
I'll be the first to admit I get annoyed or bored clicking around for an hour, trying to figure out where to get the next scene and that juicy hit of dopamine. Or when a game forces me to play a crude minigame that shouldn't have made it out of the concept phase. I'm quick to hit the little X instead of suffering through.

Not to say I don't understand why those things exist, whether that be simply because the developer wanted to push the limits of their game or skill, increase playtime to give the illusion of content, or because it's easier than compelling people to continue with words alone. Anyway, this is mostly to say I agree completely. Any game elements that make the cut will have to meet certain criteria.

1. Is it something I can actually develop alone with limited Ren'Py experience?
2. Does it scale without significant extra effort? (Is the scope small enough to be manageable?)
3. Most importantly, is it fun?

I'm not a fan of one-and-done mini games, so if I can't implement a core gameplay loop that's not only integral to the game, but satisfying, fun, and not annoying, I probably won't implement one at all. I'd much rather engage the player with a story that has meaningful narrative decisions than attempt to engage a player with a story hindered by bad gameplay.

Asenaris

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 31, 2018
Master Rune [0.3] Compressed (Half-Tested)

Win/Linux (2.6 GB/ 355 MB) : ,

Last edited:

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
More stuff in the works, just wanted to go ahead and get this out there so the game has a new face on it.

I liked the remake new version, Nana still a qt and Shiro too.
Thanks for saying so. I was a bit worried people wouldn't like the new aesthetic, but I really had no idea what I was doing the first time around. Tried to keep the spirit of the characters intact without letting them remain bulbus monstrosities.

ElukiaTV

Mar 11, 2019
Alright... this is a bookmarked
didnt played the previous version, but so far i enjoyed everything here.
Do we know if its a monthly game or bi monthly? (or a when its ready).

Miury

Jan 13, 2021
Well... he's been missing for quite some time. I think he will release the next update when it is ready. We will wait as long as necessary, Dev. =)

Jimskeleton

Nov 9, 2020
I didn't feel there was much overly wrong with the original but I have to say I really enjoyed the remake, keep up the good work dev and looking forward to more updates.

LizardsFromSpace

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2018
Well... he's been missing for quite some time. I think he will release the next update when it is ready. We will wait as long as necessary, Dev. =)
It's true I had some life stuff interfere with the game. It's also true I don't have the best idea for a timeline yet because I haven't been putting out regular updates. Right now, I'll tentatively say it'll release when it's ready.

That being said, I've been working on Master Rune a lot in the past few weeks, and I'm really excited to get it out there. I don't predict any major life problems getting in the way of development in the foreseeable future (barring sudden annihilation by meteor swarm or an aneurysm from working on this game so fucking much), so hopefully it won't be too long.

I'm only hesitant to put up a timeline because I'm still new to this and I simply don't have a full grasp on how long things take. That, and my perfectionism(neuroticism?) has a tendency to bite me in the ass and make things take longer than they reasonably should. For example, I'm pretty sure I played through the game 4+ times just before I released v0.2, pacing myself and reading every line as I suspect new players would read them... just to do a final sweep for typos.

Reactions: ElukiaTV
4.60 star(s) 17 Votes