a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Mercs/followers same thing. And there was originally a few more than there are now.
How many was it.

I got 7 plus 2 kids plus Armand and Adrienne and one daughter so far.
The 2 kids one is 13 and the other is 10 that I helped and and took them in.

MrFingers

Nov 19, 2020
I wish there was a way to pull your people out of combat range or be defensive so they don't get one shotted by an assault rifle.

They keep putting down the poor girl I got from the temple :(.
She's not for combat. Use Rebecca or a stronger slave or just use Mercs. Why bother using a 13 year old girl with 25 health in battle? I don't bring my puppy to the boxing gym.

Foobert

Oct 16, 2017
I wish there was a way to pull people back from the combat. It always seems odd that enemy melee units can hit my back line when I have my own melee front line to defend them.

They'd still be vulneralble to range weapons of course, but it would be nice to be able to pull a wounded unit back out of melee.

Caesariuz

Dec 27, 2018
Pretty sure you missunderstood my questions i meant all of them in the literal sense.

1- What I'm asking here is literally how I increase the slaves stats. For context my MC is a rejected hunter but I don't think that matters, what I'm asking is what are some good interactions to increase the slave stats when you just got them since seduction doesn't seem to work at the start only increasing anger and defiance.

2- Again not a philosophical question I'm just asking if there's anyway to increase dextery other than training. I don't know how to hunt or fish Ijust played the game for a couple of hours so far so it would be nice if anyone can point that out. Also I could just save and reload before every fight but then the game is just not fun.

3- I'm asking literally for the location of another mercenary not counting the ones i mentioned which are the ones i already found so I can hire them.
You increase slaves stats mainly by training or education (home or courses).
Also they´ll gain some stats while fighting, hunting or random events.

Seduction may not work at start, so work around and build some affection by talking/compliment/encurage/walks in the city, etc.

DEX is mainly used as a melee defense, if you wanna hunt/fish you need to improve Survival stat, and you do that mostly by Hunting.

You cant rush this game, take one day at a time, use your time and money wisely, every day you´ll be a bit more powerfull and things will start to flow on his own.

Reactions: tsap and Dixon Butz

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Mercs/followers same thing. And there was originally a few more than there are now.
Bud and the Rifle Savant were just added back in, Dexter is coming soon. After him all that remain to be re-added are Aiko and Felix, and they're on his list. I don't think the generic swordsmen/gunslingers/riflemen are coming back, he's talking about adding more unique mercenaries instead.

Reactions: Dixon Butz

Foobert

Oct 16, 2017
If the mercs aren't going to die any more, then there isn't the need for a replenishing supply of cannon fodder.

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
Bud and the Rifle Savant were just added back in, Dexter is coming soon. After him all that remain to be re-added are Aiko and Felix, and they're on his list. I don't think the generic swordsmen/gunslingers/riflemen are coming back, he's talking about adding more unique mercenaries instead.
Really? Where are they at? I could have sworn I went to where they used to be but couldn't find them.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Are some of the stats in this game limited to a finite number of training options for improvement while others have infinite options? Based on the newbie guides I saw on the wiki it seems like you have some very clearly superior character creation choices if that's the case.

If I understand correctly, you can train physical stats infinitely and for free for instance while something like intelligence or maybe charm has a small number of specific training options and then you're done forever. So if that's true you should never take a physical stat during character creation and should always take whichever stats you think are most important that have the least training options.

I've only just recently started playing but it seemed so far that charm is important for most nonviolent interactions, both with slaves and with random people you meet. Manipulation seems more limited to use on slaves. I'm not sure how trainable those are but you can start the game with more than 80 charm so that's probably not a big deal. Bondage is important according to the guide but it seemed like there are a fairly large number of options for training that even if you don't start with that stat being high. Maybe you can't get it high enough unless you start with 30-50 though, no idea. (Edit: Actually after playing a bit more manipulation also seems useful for a decent number of non slave interactions as well).

Manipulation seems like it has a random chance to go up any time you have a successful manipulation check. I assume the same might be true of charm? If that's the case then it seems like you could mostly train those endlessly, it's just that you don't really have an option to do a training session. It's basically random interactions.

Anyway my main question are which stats have either infinite or close enough to it options for training that in the long term you don't care how low of a value you start with? Or is everything infinitely trainable but just not as easily as others?

Also, is it possible to be effective enough with melee weapons for those to be a viable option over guns? So far in my games ammo cost has been my biggest problem. It seems like melee would solve that issue if it ever gets to "good enough" status even if it's not as effective as guns.

One other minor question. Is there a stat that affects lockpicking? Dexterity maybe? I fail at lockpicking most of the time. (Edit: this last one seems to be stealth). Training steal seems to basically have a chance to happen when you succeed at picking a lock. I don't think I've ever seen it go up on a failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew Rider

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
Are some of the stats in this game limited to a finite number of training options for improvement while others have infinite options? Based on the newbie guides I saw on the wiki it seems like you have some very clearly superior character creation choices if that's the case.

If I understand correctly, you can train physical stats infinitely and for free for instance while something like intelligence or maybe charm has a small number of specific training options and then you're done forever. So if that's true you should never take a physical stat during character creation and should always take whichever stats you think are most important that have the least training options.

I've only just recently started playing but it seemed so far that charm is important for most nonviolent interactions, both with slaves and with random people you meet. Manipulation seems more limited to use on slaves. I'm not sure how trainable those are but you can start the game with more than 80 charm so that's probably not a big deal. Bondage is important according to the guide but it seemed like there are a fairly large number of options for training that even if you don't start with that stat being high. Maybe you can't get it high enough unless you start with 30-50 though, no idea.

Anyway my main question are which stats have either infinite or close enough to it options for training that in the long term you don't care how low of a value you start with? Or is everything infinitely trainable but just not as easily as others?

Also, is it possible to be effective enough with melee weapons for those to be a viable option over guns? So far in my games ammo cost has been my biggest problem. It seems like melee would solve that issue if it ever gets to "good enough" status even if it's not as effective as guns.

One other minor question. Is there a stat that affects lockpicking? Dexterity maybe? I fail at lockpicking most of the time.
I think all stats are infinite with the hardest one to get up being stealth. I think intelligence can be increased by taking classes at the academy. In a lot of ways melee is actually easier than guns increasing strength increases the amount of damage melee weapons do. Increase strength, melee skill, and stamina the do better with melee weapons

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think all stats are infinite with the hardest one to get up being stealth. I think intelligence can be increased by taking classes at the academy. In a lot of ways melee is actually easier than guns increasing strength increases the amount of damage melee weapons do. Increase strength, melee skill, and stamina the do better with melee weapons
I think you can only read each book once and you can only take each academy course once, but maybe there's a chance you can gain intelligence by teaching courses yourself at the academy? I haven't tried that yet. I do think I'll try a melee play through and see whether I can get to where melee combat is worthwhile, if nothing else just as a way to conserve money early on before I really get my economy rolling. I'm thinking some of the starting options like the one that increases arousal might actually be a stronger pick long term if that's not something that can be duplicated or learned later compared to just a skill boost.

I also haven't tried paying to upgrade the level of any of my mercs yet. The newbie guides seemed to imply you were better off just getting rid of your early mercs and replacing them with strong ones that supply their own ammo but I haven't tried it yet. In the early game at least, it doesn't seem like you have many good options for 4 high tier mercs that supply their own ammo. Maybe later in the game. There are still a bunch of areas I can't get to yet to see who is available.

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021

I've only just recently started playing but it seemed so far that charm is important for most nonviolent interactions, both with slaves and with random people you meet. Manipulation seems more limited to use on slaves. I'm not sure how trainable those are but you can start the game with more than 80 charm so that's probably not a big deal. Bondage is important according to the guide but it seemed like there are a fairly large number of options for training that even if you don't start with that stat being high. Maybe you can't get it high enough unless you start with 30-50 though, no idea. (Edit: Actually after playing a bit more manipulation also seems useful for a decent number of non slave interactions as well).

Manipulation seems like it has a random chance to go up any time you have a successful manipulation check. I assume the same might be true of charm? If that's the case then it seems like you could mostly train those endlessly, it's just that you don't really have an option to do a training session. It's basically random interactions.

One other minor question. Is there a stat that affects lockpicking? Dexterity maybe? I fail at lockpicking most of the time. (Edit: this last one seems to be stealth). Training steal seems to basically have a chance to happen when you succeed at picking a lock. I don't think I've ever seen it go up on a failure.
You're pretty accurate but there's an option later on to increase your charm so that seems like it's an option not to worry about. But yeah Science and Academics are apparently extremely limited. Which kinda kills the game for me. Wanted to try a low intelligence playthrough and use the Academy to make money however with it being a limited increase it's kinda impossible. Think I might put this game on the back burner for awhile and maybe pick it up if they ever bother to include more ways to make money in this game but currently it seems the only decent way to make money is Via fighting.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Really? Where are they at? I could have sworn I went to where they used to be but couldn't find them.
The Space Marine is at Hamah Bay, but only during the daytime.

The Black Guardsman is at Warrior Hall, but you have to get enough socialization at Divine Juices first.

Enya is outside the Arena.

Ansel is near Redhaven Market, the Peasant can be found there too.

The Budman is at the Weapon's Store in Redhaven.

Loren is at Sloppy Moe's off Marsten Avenue, the Rifle Savant can be found right outside once you have that version.

Ayden is at the Virax Springs in Crystal Hill, note don't butter him up and call him 'Sir' or it will cost you more.

The kids are at the Temple at the lower right of Kasey's Park.

Armand is at the Bank in Crystal Heights.

Reactions: tsap and Dixon Butz

Dixon Butz

Apr 8, 2017

The Black Guardsman is at Warrior Hall, but you have to get enough socialization at Divine Juices first.

Loren is at Sloppy Moe's off Marsten Avenue, the Rifle Savant can be found right outside once you have that version.

Ayden is at the Virax Springs in Crystal Hill, note don't butter him up and call him 'Sir' or it will cost you more.

You forgot Mr. Doyle in Crow's End, and you can get Adrienne from doing Michelle's quest.

Enya's only there on clear days.

Didn't know that about Ayden. Thanks!

Bud and Rifle Savant aren't in 8.1.3, are they?

Reactions: Gunner Rey

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021

K so going down the list
Space Marine and Black Guardsman are not bad but a little pricey I think the Black Guardsman is same price as Doyle but with a MASSIVE daily cost I think it was 300 something so not usable for a beginner.

Enya is in Crystal Haven(Hills)? so she's also not usable for a beginner.

Loren is good. I don't think rifle savant and Budman are usable in 8.13 so not really usable.

Ansel and Peasant, are good

Ayden also isn't usable for a beginner.

The kids are way too squishy to ever be usable

Armand also isn't usable for a beginner.

So as of 8.13 the team that beginners can use of right off the bat are only Ansel, Peasant, and Loren. There's definitely an issue but the good news is that 8.14 apparently solved the problem.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018

I've come to believe that this is mostly dependent on just how you plan to play and how much time you want to put into it. Yes, physical skills are much more easily trainable and it's generally better to concentrate on certain others, notably Intelligence, if you want a better more rounded character in the long run...but also remember, 'in the long run everyone's dead.'

Intelligence will determine just how many points you will get from classes and reading books, therefore it's important to get that stat up to about 60-65 before you start your classes and books. There's a point, I forget just exactly what it is, where you max gains from intelligence so it's not helping you much anymore, if at all.

Charm can be gained up until 70 by Caressing during seduction and up to 85 through plastic surgery at the Doctor's office in Crystal Heights. Thus one might be tempted to forgo Charm in character creation as it can be trained up or bought later, but consider also the opportunity cost in that. Early charm makes the whole game much easier in the beginning and opens up doors much sooner affecting all facets of the game. Being able to charm Rebecca in the beginning to access the Space Marine soonest allows you to take out the highest level targets much quicker and easier.

Manipulation is not nearly as easy or sure to train as Charm, but you can get oodles and scads of Manipulation from books and there's diminishing returns on anything much over 100.

I find melee combat to be quite useful, my current Rise from the Ashes character seldom fires a gun anymore and I've critted myself up to a Melee Combat skill of 276, but also still fires a plasma gun on occasion if the target warrants it. The leader of the Highwaymen of Darkmere always tastes plasma as does the King of the Ceilor Forest Raiders as why would I want to take a chance on them firing that coilgun at me and my team? Top level bounties get similar treatment, but mostly my character uses his powered katana as I don't want to pay for the ammo and I don't need to use a gun except on top level targets like the above.

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've come to believe that this is mostly dependent on just how you plan to play and how much time you want to put into it. Yes, physical skills are much more easily trainable and it's generally better to concentrate on certain others, notably Intelligence, if you want a better more rounded character in the long run...but also remember, 'in the long run everyone's dead.'

Intelligence will determine just how many points you will get from classes and reading books, therefore it's important to get that stat up to about 60-65 before you start your classes and books. There's a point, I forget just exactly what it is, where you max gains from intelligence so it's not helping you much anymore, if at all.

Charm can be gained up until 70 by Caressing during seduction and up to 85 through plastic surgery at the Doctor's office in Crystal Heights. Thus one might be tempted to forgo Charm in character creation as it can be trained up or bought later, but consider also the opportunity cost in that. Early charm makes the whole game much easier in the beginning and opens up doors much sooner affecting all facets of the game. Being able to charm Rebecca in the beginning to access the Space Marine soonest allows you to take out the highest level targets much quicker and easier.

Manipulation is not nearly as easy or sure to train as Charm, but you can get oodles and scads of Manipulation from books and there's diminishing returns on anything much over 100.

I find melee combat to be quite useful, my current Rise from the Ashes character seldom fires a gun anymore and I've critted myself up to a Melee Combat skill of 276, but also still fires a plasma gun on occasion if the target warrants it. The leader of the Highwaymen of Darkmere always tastes plasma as does the King of the Ceilor Forest Raiders as why would I want to take a chance on them firing that coilgun at me and my team? Top level bounties get similar treatment, but mostly my character uses his powered katana as I don't want to pay for the ammo and I don't need to use a gun except on top level targets like the above.
Great info. Is there a reasonable way to train up stealth at some point? I was toying with the idea of starting with criminal parents but rebelling so I can get a 10 point stealth boost initially which seems like about the minimum for me to EVER succeed at a stealth check. I don't know if the guild that criminals can't access is important so I wanted to avoid that handicap unless it's not a big deal. At 15 stealth I don't think I've ever succeeded at a lockpick and I've definitely never succeeded at a stealth ambush check. Does surveying a scene before entering count as a stealth action? I haven't seen a stealth roll for it but it seems like a stealthy thing to do.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
K so going down the list
Space Marine and Black Guardsman are not bad but a little pricey I think the Black Guardsman is same price as Doyle but with a MASSIVE daily cost I think it was 300 something so not usable for a beginner.

Enya is in Crystal Haven(Hills)? so she's also not usable for a beginner.

Loren is good. I don't think rifle savant and Budman are usable in 8.13 so not really usable.

Ansel and Peasant, are good

Ayden also isn't usable for a beginner.

The kids are way too squishy to ever be usable

Armand also isn't usable for a beginner.

So as of 8.13 the team that beginners can use of right off the bat are only Ansel, Peasant, and Loren. There's definitely an issue but the good news is that 8.14 apparently solved the problem.
If you want to get out to a quick start you can hire the Space Marine and/or Black Guardsman early and clear the board of the toughest targets as soon as possible and you'll make a big profit on it as well. Depending on if you start with good ranged combat skill yourself there's many different combinations that can reliably put down the Ceilor Forest Raiders and the Highwaymen of Darkmere and once you can do that your success is pretty much assured.

Alternatively there's different strategies in training up some of the lower level mercs as in the long run they're all going to have 100+ ranged combat anyway and at that point what will matter more is their cost.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Great info. Is there a reasonable way to train up stealth at some point? I was toying with the idea of starting with criminal parents but rebelling so I can get a 10 point stealth boost initially which seems like about the minimum for me to EVER succeed at a stealth check. I don't know if the guild that criminals can't access is important so I wanted to avoid that handicap unless it's not a big deal. At 15 stealth I don't think I've ever succeeded at a lockpick and I've definitely never succeeded at a stealth ambush check. Does surveying a scene before entering count as a stealth action? I haven't seen a stealth roll for it but it seems like a stealthy thing to do.
Stealth is still a work in progress, my guess is we'll see more concerning it in the crime lord update he has planned sometime after the combat update. Currently it doesn't do much, stealing at the factory and that one lockpicking attempt.

Surveying does nothing as far as I know outside add some 'color' to the scenes.

Reactions: tsap
4.50 star(s) 117 Votes