Dixon Butz

Apr 8, 2017
Honestly at this point it seems like the best start is probably as high as you can for intelligence. Like I literally don't understand why they decided to make it next to impossible to consistently raise but every intelligence increase seems to be a one and done. Where as strength, dexterity, and stamina can all be increased at home. Not sure about willpower but I did get random increase working in the academy. But intelligence is next to impossible to get a decent raise.
You gotta give GrimDark a little slack. The game is very much a WIP. There's a million variables moving around in the background, and it's pretty fucking impressive that they all work as well as they do. All the intelligence/academy stuff is on the roadmap, but it works well enough for right now. I think he's being careful about adding too much at once in case he breaks the game balancing. Me, I'd love it if melee could get a little attention. But I'll still enjoy what we've got so far.

Reactions: MrFingers

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
You gotta give GrimDark a little slack. The game is very much a WIP. There's a million variables moving around in the background, and it's pretty fucking impressive that they all work as well as they do. All the intelligence/academy stuff is on the roadmap, but it works well enough for right now. I think he's being careful about adding too much at once in case he breaks the game balancing. Me, I'd love it if melee could get a little attention. But I'll still enjoy what we've got so far.
Yeah but that's the problem the game currently isn't balanced. What's to stop someone from consistently training strength, stamina, and melee skill at home to the point they're all in the hundreds and just run around with a sword and kill everything. That's not balanced.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
How do you get to Hamah Bay? Is that gated off until you get access to Crystal Hills? The wiki mentions it being a good place to sell stuff and also the place to find the Space Marine but I have not found a way to get there yet. I did find the Blackguard.

Dixon Butz

Apr 8, 2017
Yeah but that's the problem the game currently isn't balanced. What's to stop someone from consistently training strength, stamina, and melee skill at home to the point they're all in the hundreds and just run around with a sword and kill everything. That's not balanced.
Training catches a big success penalty once it gets up into the high numbers. And the benefits aren't huge if you go higher. The effort it would take to get strength into the hundreds, honestly you deserve any bonus you get. Ranged ends up doing the most damage once you hit the training wall.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
I was thinking a bit about the way books and courses work in the game currently and had an idea that might make it more viable to play a lower intelligence build without making intelligence unimportant. Instead of having intelligence increase your chances of getting maximum value out of a book or a class, why not make it so you always get max value out of them but intelligence determines how long it takes to complete?

At 70ish intelligence it could take as long as it currently does. Then you have a sliding scale based on how much below that you are which increases the time it takes to complete. So it might take 10x as long at an intelligence of 10, but you'd still eventually get the max benefit from it. Maybe below a certain threshold you also have to hire a tutor to get max benefit.

That would also make it reasonable to read something other than a science or academics book early in the game or take a bondage class or something.

The way it works now, there is sometimes a pretty stark difference between getting minimum vs maximum value out of a book or a class. So it's pretty pointless to ever read a book or take a class that does not raise intelligence until you get your intelligence up around 70.

I haven't checked to see if it's possible to get one of the skills required to teach at the academy high enough to teach there if you start with a build that has the minimum possible intelligence and minimum values for academics, science, and medicine. Would it be viable to eventually just push your intelligence up by teaching classes even if you had to suffer through getting minimal gains from all the intelligence related books and courses? Or would the law of averages pretty much guarantee that you got enough minimum value rolls to make it impossible to reach a high enough threshold to ever teach a class? Are there ways to raise it in areas that are gated off by influence? I haven't gotten that far yet, I keep running out of money.

Edit: I think I may have found an answer to the low intelligence build in the wiki. I haven't tried it yet so not sure how viable it is, but according to the wiki it looks like this could be used to raise intelligence early on if you start with a low value:
- SpaceBall event (Arrange Event > ENSYS night) - 20% chance to increase INT up to a maximum of 70.
- By completing an RPG campaign (Arrange Event > RPG night)
- By completing Ayden's RPG campaign
I kinda like your idea of increasing the time it takes to do the courses and books but still allowing an opportunity to get the max. My current character started as a Rise from the Ashes with a 35 INT and I've managed to pick up the points from the RPG sessions with Ayden and the Event opportunity and I've found another way through Carousing at Dockgrave Tavern but I've still not managed to trigger the 'SpaceBalls' chance from the ENSYS event despite approximately 40-50 tries. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what it is, I invite everyone and have two slave girls serving as pleasure slaves and the rest as servants but so far not a single SpaceBall event.

Thus I've still not done any courses or read any books with this character, I'm hoping to either figure it out or grind up the skill with the Carousing results. Current INT is now 41, so I've a long way to go!

However, it just so happens I've managed to pick up points in just about everything despite not doing any of the courses or books and now have an extremely formidable character, which is why I haven't stopped playing him. 818 days in here is where I'm at:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 142316.png

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
How do you get to Hamah Bay? Is that gated off until you get access to Crystal Hills? The wiki mentions it being a good place to sell stuff and also the place to find the Space Marine but I have not found a way to get there yet. I did find the Blackguard.
Charm Rebecca to get her quest and that opens up that area.

Reactions: khumak

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Even with the stats I have with my Rise from the Ashes character the Powered Katana doesn't hit nearly as hard as a Plasma Gun or Coilgun. I'm still best off firing one of those two guns versus elite opponents. Mostly I use the katana to save money as depending on who I have with me I often don't need another plasma/coil gun firing to get more or less the same results.

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
I kinda like your idea of increasing the time it takes to do the courses and books but still allowing an opportunity to get the max. My current character started as a Rise from the Ashes with a 35 INT and I've managed to pick up the points from the RPG sessions with Ayden and the Event opportunity and I've found another way through Carousing at Dockgrave Tavern but I've still not managed to trigger the 'SpaceBalls' chance from the ENSYS event despite approximately 40-50 tries. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what it is, I invite everyone and have two slave girls serving as pleasure slaves and the rest as servants but so far not a single SpaceBall event.

Thus I've still not done any courses or read any books with this character, I'm hoping to either figure it out or grind up the skill with the Carousing results. Current INT is now 41, so I've a long way to go!

However, it just so happens I've managed to pick up points in just about everything despite not doing any of the courses or books and now have an extremely formidable character, which is why I haven't stopped playing him. 818 days in here is where I'm at:

View attachment 2477954
This right kinda perfectly highlights my issue. I mean with these skills you can easily kill anything and yet that Intel is LOW.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Actually I think you just need to take a boat ride
That could be, I've not tried it in a while actually. It used to be that you didn't get the option to sail if you didn't have a quest (like from Caitlin or Rebecca or the Prowler in the Depths) going there, but that might well have changed.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
This right kinda perfectly highlights my issue. I mean with these skills you can easily kill anything and yet that Intel is LOW.
It also suggests that Intelligence is not quite as necessary as I originally presumed and Khumak seems to believe.

You can succeed with low INT characters, it just takes a while.

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
It also suggests that Intelligence is not quite as necessary as I originally presumed and Khumak seems to believe.

You can succeed with low INT characters, it just takes a while.
Well considering there's no actual end game as far as I'm aware the concept of succeed is different for each individual. Like what is actually the point and goal of this game.

The only goal I had in mind was to take someone completely low skilled and stat and raise them all into at least a hundred. And so far it's not exactly working out.

Reactions: tsap

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Well considering there's no actual end game as far as I'm aware the concept of succeed is different for each individual. Like what is actually the point and goal of this game.
Exactly, you might just be best off playing what you want to and working towards improving whatever you think yourself deficient in.

As the endgame is currently not defined precisely, I'm building towards becoming a (or THE) Master of Raana and that's what all those guns and high quality mercs and slavegirls are for, the army I'm building to help me in my rise.

Reactions: tsap

OmegaZero21

Jun 8, 2021
Exactly, you might just be best off playing what you want to and working towards improving whatever you think yourself deficient in.

As the endgame is currently not defined precisely, I'm building towards becoming a (or THE) Master of Raana and that's what all those guns and high quality mercs and slavegirls are for, the army I'm building to help me in my rise.
Which is why I think for the time being I'll put the game on hold and just keep supporting it. I would eventually start over from the beginning further down the road anyway.

Reactions: Gunner Rey

tsap

Apr 19, 2019
Yep just foud the ferry for this and confirmed that this works without the quest. Now I have the space marine and the blackguard finally :)
That same ferry has been such a constant source of inspiration to me for endless months as I have spent my MC:s and his chosen beauties time on that vessel of wonder.
Just to amuse myself -and hopefully one or two other players here - I reveal one suspicious observation and several deranged hypotheses my MC has invented to explain it off. TLDR BS-warning:

The trip to there ALWAYS seems to take exactly same time and an hour or so longer (but still precisely same again) time back no matter the weather!
This is the first pelagic phenomenon of this type I have ever met during my long and boring life - part of it happened at sea.
Hypotheses:
- Gulnar's ferry has some ultramodern technology assembled. (My MC would love to hijack that boat, but that at least is not possible. Fortunate, probably.)
- there is a very, very constant sea current going on that pushes Gulnar's ferry in one direction and hampers it's return considerably.
- the crew, maybe passengers too, just like to fish on return trip, so it takes longer. The drag from the baited lines and so on. That kind of thing is so usual that there is no need to mention about it, everybody on Raana knows about it and accepts the unavoidable.
- there might be gravitational anomalies involved, so the trip from Darkmere to Hamah happens downhill and return is uphill. This is a common thing on sea. Nothing peculiar with that.
- clocks on Raana are 'directional'. They work differently when one moves west than when going east.
- seawater on Raana behaves quite differently on Raana than, lets say, on Earth. No storm there causes waves. (That might also derive from non existent winds at Ikaanian sea. The storms are extra problematic and truly shocking just because at sea there are absolutely no winds involved.) The good thing is that even bad weather doesn't really affect ferries in any noticeable way.
- physics work differently on Raana than here on Earth. Quite possible. That might actually happen everywhere and probably will. We just don't know the back-laying reason for it yet. Two Moons have hit scientists with lunacy anyway. Shit happens but nobody cares.

MrFingers

Nov 19, 2020
I was thinking a bit about the way books and courses work in the game currently and had an idea that might make it more viable to play a lower intelligence build without making intelligence unimportant. Instead of having intelligence increase your chances of getting maximum value out of a book or a class, why not make it so you always get max value out of them but intelligence determines how long it takes to complete?

At 70ish intelligence it could take as long as it currently does. Then you have a sliding scale based on how much below that you are which increases the time it takes to complete. So it might take 10x as long at an intelligence of 10, but you'd still eventually get the max benefit from it. Maybe below a certain threshold you also have to hire a tutor to get max benefit.

That would also make it reasonable to read something other than a science or academics book early in the game or take a bondage class or something.

The way it works now, there is sometimes a pretty stark difference between getting minimum vs maximum value out of a book or a class. So it's pretty pointless to ever read a book or take a class that does not raise intelligence until you get your intelligence up around 70.

I haven't checked to see if it's possible to get one of the skills required to teach at the academy high enough to teach there if you start with a build that has the minimum possible intelligence and minimum values for academics, science, and medicine. Would it be viable to eventually just push your intelligence up by teaching classes even if you had to suffer through getting minimal gains from all the intelligence related books and courses? Or would the law of averages pretty much guarantee that you got enough minimum value rolls to make it impossible to reach a high enough threshold to ever teach a class? Are there ways to raise it in areas that are gated off by influence? I haven't gotten that far yet, I keep running out of money.

Edit: I think I may have found an answer to the low intelligence build in the wiki. I haven't tried it yet so not sure how viable it is, but according to the wiki it looks like this could be used to raise intelligence early on if you start with a low value:
- SpaceBall event (Arrange Event > ENSYS night) - 20% chance to increase INT up to a maximum of 70.
- By completing an RPG campaign (Arrange Event > RPG night)
- By completing Ayden's RPG campaign
That's not a bad idea to enable an lower/average intelligence build. Suggest it on discord. Is the SpaceBall event limited to certain character types. Meaning is it a unique event based on the class of character you select initially? Does the Ayden RPG event require raising his affection level?

MrFingers

Nov 19, 2020

View attachment 2477954
Quick question. How do you customize the photo of your character?

MrFingers

Nov 19, 2020
You go to Imogen then Preachers then Darkmere and click the red anchor icon and pay 100$ per person taking the trip. It's not locked out at all. Just need the money and to click on it.

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes