McLOVINu

Mar 18, 2018
I've not noticed bounties dropping less than others, but I do recall Grim saying he was reducing the weapon drops on Grimdark and I can believe it as I seldom get a two plasma gun drop anymore and seem to be shut out more often these days.
Wait, do the weapons somehow get destroyed at the moment a person dies?

In my normal difficulty play through, some times my team of 5 dumbasses can't find a single weapon 5 other dead people where just using in front of their very eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since this game takes place in a non-magic world, each piece of gear a person was using when they die, should show up as loot.

I hope the coding would be simple to edit 100% drop rate. [unsure if we can get it to drop both melee+ranged from single mob... IF they are equiped with both]

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
I notice religion says you can convert your slaves. what effects does this have on them? do the slaves get bonuses?

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
For me it's the non bounty, non arena fights where health matters. Things like the marston avenue and stokke hills fights where everyone has a power katana or you have a coil gun plus 3 rifles to deal with. I don't bother with the highwaymen. With the stealth mechanic that one is even worse than the bounties since they always get to go first. So I lose someone before I even get to fire a shot pretty often.
I've not seen the Highwaymen of Darkmere in a long time. Once they started firing first I became a little more wary about going up there, but eventually they disappeared entirely. I don't know if it's related to the bandit count or what, but eventually I stopped even looking for them.

Regarding power katanas, I forgot to add something about them and the arena upthread when you asked. You do need to equip your girl with one when you send her to the Arena. Then she will have one available. Most of my girls fight with fists outside the beginning matches. I usually start with one that yields 400-600 and see how close the score is, then play around with the weapons and a higher-tiered opponent to get an autowin with about a 10 point cushion. I've found you can still lose even if the numbers add up to 100 so you need a little extra over that, about 10 points is enough in my experience.

My plan for crafting is go nuts on combat knives til I hit 30 blacksmithing, then start making swords/pistols/crossbows/etc for faction donations. Once I hit 40 I can start making my own stims. Not planning on reading the crafting books til I reach at least 60 blacksmithing. I do think the combat knives seem to give the best skill gains. Stims can be crafted faster but I have never gotten a skill increase from them. Not sure if that's just bad luck or if it's guaranteed. It seems like the higher value items that take longer to craft should have a better chance for a skill increase but in my experience they don't.
I drown the market in combat knives, then I build rifles and finally auto-rifles because they're useful. I've never tried a stim, it seems odd you wouldn't get any increase chance from them, I hope that's just bad luck.

I actually hadn't considered giving everyone a cane. That's a great idea. Just tried it and it works a lot better.
Yeah, both my teams carry whipping canes, I have a whole pile of unused power katanas now. I have been known to forget Ayden will never carry a whipping stick and that works out badly for the poor person who gets his sword instead of the stick. Incidentally, this might just be some bizarre random luck but I've found my MC's Great Sword captures far more often than you'd guess it would.

Yeah it can be streaky. My last game I had good luck initially on plasma drops with my first 3 tier 5 bounties all dropping 1. Then zero plasma drops for more than a month. My luck tends to be the worst on coil guns. In 3 months I got 1 coil gun, 3 plasma guns, and 10 assault rifles. I get lots of rifle drops but that's about the only common drop for me.
I hardly ever get a coilgun anymore. Remember back when I told you I was jealous of your plasma drops because I'd only gotten 15 but had over a hundred coilguns? Now I have 314 Plasma Rifles and 226 Coilguns.

Last edited:
Reactions: khumak

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Wait, do the weapons somehow get destroyed at the moment a person dies?

In my normal difficulty play through, some times my team of 5 dumbasses can't find a single weapon 5 other dead people where just using in front of their very eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since this game takes place in a non-magic world, each piece of gear a person was using when they die, should show up as loot.

I hope the coding would be simple to edit 100% drop rate. [unsure if we can get it to drop both melee+ranged from single mob... IF they are equiped with both]
I've no idea about coding, I can't help with that.

The drop chance is basically to balance the game a little as always getting a gun to drop makes it way too easy. Perhaps a 100% drop chance would be a good idea for sandbox mode though.

Otherwise I just figure the gun got destroyed in combat or was such a piece of poorly maintained shit it wasn't worth keeping.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Any character creation tips for a new player?
The first one is the most important: you can make anything work these days. Play what you really want to play because you don't have to pick anything in particular to succeed.

That being said, some choices will give benefits you might find more useful when you first start. INT determines what you get from courses and reading books so having a starting INT of 60-70 (the latter being all that's needed to get the max from most all of them) allows you to get those improvement points earlier. However 'Carousing' at Dockgraves will give an INT point sometimes as will RPG sessions during an event or with Ayden and there's a chance of getting at least one point playing 'Spaceball' with the event engine as well. Thus you can forgo INT a little at the start and grind it up to 70 and then do the books and courses. This allows you to get off to a better start financially as you won't have so much of your time in the beginning dedicated to books and courses.

If you start out fighting by clearing the board (of all you plan to kill, I let some live), doing two Arena battles once that opens up for you and a bounty every day odds are your Ranged Combat will increase to over 100 in pretty short order, meaning you can start with a 30 Ranged Combat and eventually get to 100 where you're an auto-hit. However if you do it that way odds are you're going to want another top-tier mercenary (Space Marine, Felix, Black Guardsman, Ayden) with you early on to make the combats winnable/easier. If you start with a high ranged combat you can forgo that expense in the beginning and perhaps just get by with Doyle and yourself as the top hitters with Bud (who has an ammo pack so you want to train him up quickly), Loren and perhaps a slave or Ansel to make for a very economic team in the very beginning.

Early charm really makes the beginning go easier with the girls. You can also increase Charm up to 70 by repeatedly 'Caressing' during seduction attempts and get a point roughly once every other two-hour slut-cuddling session. 'Caress' until it greys out, then kiss once, go back to 'Caress' and keep at that until Grimdark yells at you for taking too much time in foreplay. Then you can go to the Doctor's Hall and get Charm increased to 85 by paying for plastic surgery. Starting with high Charm is easier and quicker though.

The toughest stat to increase that I know of now (outside of Performance which doesn't do anything yet) is Flagellation which used to be very tough to get in the Dungeon ('Training Room') but he may have changed that fairly recently and I've been over the cap and wouldn't notice. If not the best way to get that is by getting 'Rougher' with Kasey in the Dockgrave Dungeon and that's awfully expensive for new players. You can get some points from the classes at Devious Tools and some from books, but you'll still want more than that eventually if you plan on whipping naughty little sluts regularly so you could be tempted to start with it.

Gambling is a good one to start with a high score as you can really make a living at it---once you're over a hundred. You can grind yourself up there but it takes a lot of time and money so starting with the highest gambling you can is best if you plan to do it regularly.

All your physical stats you can train pretty easily so it's less important to take the ones that benefit those if you plan to play for a while. You'll want to start training Stamina on you and a girl from the beginning as it makes the game so much easier at the start, so keep in mind you can train Stamina, Dex and Strength much easier than INT, WP or Charm/Manip etc.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've not seen the Highwaymen of Darkmere in a long time. Once they started firing first I became a little more wary about going up there, but eventually they disappeared entirely. I don't know if it's related to the bandit count or what, but eventually I stopped even looking for them.

Regarding power katanas, I forgot to add something about them and the arena upthread when you asked. You do need to equip your girl with one when you send her to the Arena. Then she will have one available. Most of my girls fight with fists outside the beginning matches. I usually start with one that yields 400-600 and see how close the score is, then play around with the weapons and a higher-tiered opponent to get an autowin with about a 10 point cushion. I've found you can still lose even if the numbers add up to 100 so you need a little extra over that, about 10 points is enough in my experience.
Yeah I went and tried the highwaymen once in my previous game and with that stealth mechanic I was like, nope that ain't happening. Maybe if you can eventually gain enough stealth to reliably go first, but other than some very rare encounters where I randomly get lucky, like picking the lock on the door in that first town hall quest, I have never seen a stealth increase.

I played around quite a bit with different options in the arena and yeah I did eventually figure out the power katana secret. I think you can also have your slave use one in the arena even if you don't give her one as long as you have one in your inventory that isn't equipped but I could be mistaken on that. I'm not willing to take stat losses in the arena so if she has less than a 100% win rate I pick a different opponent.

I find that the valkrie can consistently always beat all of the heroic opponents with a weapon right from the start with no training. She seems to always have at least 2 combat relevant perks in my game. Unfortunately Rebecca can't consisistently beat anyone including the $100 ordinary opponents with fists in my game. So if I put her in there all she does is beat up the ordinary opponents with a weapon for $50 which is actually a loss when you count the entry fee, although you do still get influence.

So what I do now is grab the Valkrie as soon as I unlock Crystal Hills and put her in there doing the heroic opponents until I unlock Aria. Aria is almost always weaker than the valkrie in my games due to bad luck on perks but she can consistently beat the veterans with a weapon in all of the games I've tried so far. So once I get Aria I alternate between Aria and the Valkrie in the arena and whichever one of them is not in there gets daily training in strength/dex/melee. The goal being to eventually get the valkrie trained up to where she can always beat raven with a weapon. Not sure if it's possible to get her to where she can always do it with fists (she can some of the time without any training but not consistently).

Reactions: Gunner Rey

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
I was having an issue with armor and clothes disappearing. If you equip an expensive dress and then try to train the girl, often the dress disappears afterwards. Perhaps this is intended, but there's no clear indication that whatever you're doing when removing the clothes is actually destroying it, and sometimes that doesn't even make sense, so I think it might just be a bug.

edit: I'm not sure if equipping armor is what's affecting it or if it's a function of training. I'll post steps to reproduce the bug when I come across it again if you haven't encountered this yet.

Last edited:

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Yeah I went and tried the highwaymen once in my previous game and with that stealth mechanic I was like, nope that ain't happening. Maybe if you can eventually gain enough stealth to reliably go first, but other than some very rare encounters where I randomly get lucky, like picking the lock on the door in that first town hall quest, I have never seen a stealth increase.

I played around quite a bit with different options in the arena and yeah I did eventually figure out the power katana secret. I think you can also have your slave use one in the arena even if you don't give her one as long as you have one in your inventory that isn't equipped but I could be mistaken on that. I'm not willing to take stat losses in the arena so if she has less than a 100% win rate I pick a different opponent.

I find that the valkrie can consistently always beat all of the heroic opponents with a weapon right from the start with no training. She seems to always have at least 2 combat relevant perks in my game. Unfortunately Rebecca can't consisistently beat anyone including the $100 ordinary opponents with fists in my game. So if I put her in there all she does is beat up the ordinary opponents with a weapon for $50 which is actually a loss when you count the entry fee, although you do still get influence.

So what I do now is grab the Valkrie as soon as I unlock Crystal Hills and put her in there doing the heroic opponents until I unlock Aria. Aria is almost always weaker than the valkrie in my games due to bad luck on perks but she can consistently beat the veterans with a weapon in all of the games I've tried so far. So once I get Aria I alternate between Aria and the Valkrie in the arena and whichever one of them is not in there gets daily training in strength/dex/melee. The goal being to eventually get the valkrie trained up to where she can always beat raven with a weapon. Not sure if it's possible to get her to where she can always do it with fists (she can some of the time without any training but not consistently).
I recall reading that you can get Stealth from hunting these days but I've not actually tried it as I've been working on other things. I might do that next as I finish off this character and get that last Blacksmithing point. I've still not picked a religion, married or done much of anything with the factions outside build my own little force out at Fort Sera so there's still things to do with this character I've now played for 1703 days. Reading your posts makes me want to restart though, I've been playing this same guy for almost seven months.

I'll keep your Valkria strategy in mind for a restart though, that sounds like a very good way to handle the Arena in the very beginning. I too go for the auto-wins almost exclusively, the one exception being when my Tier-2 slave was able to beat Dark Pearl and Raven almost every time with fists and I'd take a chance on that most the time.

For a while I tried putting a girl who was inept in the Arena solely to train her up a little and would just pop in when doing my own Arena battles to 'encourage' her and fight one of those easy battles. The theory was it was like sending them to the Academy but wasn't taking up a slot in my own household. I pulled her eventually out of frustration with her inability to auto-win easy ones, but thinking about it again perhaps it wasn't that bad an idea.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I recall reading that you can get Stealth from hunting these days but I've not actually tried it as I've been working on other things. I might do that next as I finish off this character and get that last Blacksmithing point. I've still not picked a religion, married or done much of anything with the factions outside build my own little force out at Fort Sera so there's still things to do with this character I've now played for 1703 days. Reading your posts makes me want to restart though, I've been playing this same guy for almost seven months.

I'll keep your Valkria strategy in mind for a restart though, that sounds like a very good way to handle the Arena in the very beginning. I too go for the auto-wins almost exclusively, the one exception being when my Tier-2 slave was able to beat Dark Pearl and Raven almost every time with fists and I'd take a chance on that most the time.

For a while I tried putting a girl who was inept in the Arena solely to train her up a little and would just pop in when doing my own Arena battles to 'encourage' her and fight one of those easy battles. The theory was it was like sending them to the Academy but wasn't taking up a slot in my own household. I pulled her eventually out of frustration with her inability to auto-win easy ones, but thinking about it again perhaps it wasn't that bad an idea.
I tried hunting a bit but either I just suck at it or I don't get the mechanics for it. From what I could tell your results seem to depend on you randomly picking the "correct" option for how to do the hunt without any clue as to what that option might be. Needless to say I almost always choose the wrong option. I think you might be right about the stealth thing though so it could still be worth doing if it means you randomly increase some stealth sometimes. It's also good for food production if you're low on food and don't want to pay famine prices or something.

Fishing seemed completely pointless to me. I tried that and usually got literally nothing from it.

One other tidbit regarding the arena that I've only recently discovered is that the dice roll that happens for the slave arena fight just before the actual fight seems to have results that are influenced by how hard of a fight it is for that slave. If it's hard enough that she can lose some of the time then that random dice check can occasionally lead to random stat losses. But from what I can tell, if she's guaranteed to win the actual fight then that dice check just before the fight can ONLY give a good result. You never randomly lose stats from it.

I might try training Rebecca's melee up a bit in this game since this time she actually has 3 combat relevant perks (tough, malevolent, and warrioress). I would think theoretically that means she should be able to beat the results of a slave who only has tough and warrioress (which is what my valkrie always seems to start with) if her melee was higher. I still won't want her in the arena long term but she might be an option to swap in temporarily to train up valkrie a bit before I get Aria and before I'm ready to work on getting Skulduggery unlocked.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
I tried hunting a bit but either I just suck at it or I don't get the mechanics for it. From what I could tell your results seem to depend on you randomly picking the "correct" option for how to do the hunt without any clue as to what that option might be. Needless to say I almost always choose the wrong option. I think you might be right about the stealth thing though so it could still be worth doing if it means you randomly increase some stealth sometimes. It's also good for food production if you're low on food and don't want to pay famine prices or something.

Fishing seemed completely pointless to me. I tried that and usually got literally nothing from it.

One other tidbit regarding the arena that I've only recently discovered is that the dice roll that happens for the slave arena fight just before the actual fight seems to have results that are influenced by how hard of a fight it is for that slave. If it's hard enough that she can lose some of the time then that random dice check can occasionally lead to random stat losses. But from what I can tell, if she's guaranteed to win the actual fight then that dice check just before the fight can ONLY give a good result. You never randomly lose stats from it.

I might try training Rebecca's melee up a bit in this game since this time she actually has 3 combat relevant perks (tough, malevolent, and warrioress). I would think theoretically that means she should be able to beat the results of a slave who only has tough and warrioress (which is what my valkrie always seems to start with) if her melee was higher. I still won't want her in the arena long term but she might be an option to swap in temporarily to train up valkrie a bit before I get Aria and before I'm ready to work on getting Skulduggery unlocked.
I've not hunted in a very long time, with this character only to get from 40 to 50 Survival in the process of building a stockpile, but from what I remember all you have to do is follow guide (very bottom) to get the best possible results. Despite the penalty I always use a crossbow as long ago I figured out the extra yield was worth it. That might not be the case anymore, you might want to experiment and see if it has changed. As I recall you start getting a bonus chance to get a crit up until about 50 so your Survival skill increases pretty readily up until that point at least.

Thanks for the tip on the first roll. It turns out I happened upon a decent strategy simply because I didn't want my girls to lose points or get marked up. Note that my Averil lost a few points in Beauty that turned out allowing her to get an extra surgery session in so her Beauty score exceeds 85. It would have been better had she only lost the one point though!

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
On the subject of slave capture. I don't really have a way to verify this, but it seems like capturing higher caliber male slaves like captains, guards, etc leads to a slave that sells for more. Female opponents in particular though seem like almost a mandatory capture target since they can have such a high sale value. As an example, this one is the sex slave that starts off with Lothar's gang in my current game. That's more than you get for a tier 6 bounty a lot of times.

sex_slave.jpg

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
On the subject of slave capture. I don't really have a way to verify this, but it seems like capturing higher caliber male slaves like captains, guards, etc leads to a slave that sells for more. Female opponents in particular though seem like almost a mandatory capture target since they can have such a high sale value. As an example, this one is the sex slave that starts off with Lothar's gang in my current game. That's more than you get for a tier 6 bounty a lot of times.

View attachment 2823235
Yes, I recall reading that Grim was going to make the better ones sell for more. I always capture girls, well...except when I forget Ayden won't use a whip or Dakota goes all bloodthirsty on me and cracks her neck with the whip!

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
Yes, I recall reading that Grim was going to make the better ones sell for more. I always capture girls, well...except when I forget Ayden won't use a whip or Dakota goes all bloodthirsty on me and cracks her neck with the whip!
You can equip whips for melee? It's not listed in the wiki.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
This new system of capturing slaves seems to be a bit tilted toward hand to hand combat...
Grimdark
Where is my new bean bag gun so I can bring down slaves at a safe distance?

Reactions: Lurker452
Nov 16, 2021
Is there some way for me to help the headkillers get back at the store owner that sold his sister, or get information on the guy's sister so that he can have a place to look?

Reactions: JaxMan

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Is there some way for me to help the headkillers get back at the store owner that sold his sister, or get information on the guy's sister so that he can have a place to look?
I'm interested in the Headkiller's saga too. I'd like to get a good look at that sister too, especially if she's smoking hot. I went into business with Roo so I kinda hope he has a side of the story too. It might be that he was perfectly within his rights to enslave her, perhaps she was a thief or murderess or something....

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes