khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I played around a little with religious conversion and it seems pretty effective if you're using a religion that gives a persuasion boost. I found that with high intelligence (80+) it usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to convert a girl using the wise approach. I assume the dominant approach is comparable if you have manipulate that high but my manipulate was considerably lower than that when I tried so I always failed with that.

The actual persuasion bonus for most religions other than atheism (which doesn't have one) seems to be big enough that you pretty much never fail charm or manipulate checks with a girl who has been converted if you also have your house fully upgraded. So you can be a bit more aggressive with your seduction sessions without any consequences.

You can basically ramp up to an effective charm/manipulate of more than 100 before you've raised your charm or manipulate at all which is pretty nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunner Rey

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
Are there any plans to improve Whitehaven Academy's teaching job? Right now the max amount is like 400 something, which is peanuts. Beating up random thugs literally bring more cash than teaching as a professor for hours. I think the pay needs to be increased, or add events such as:
-students bribing you to pass
-having exam events at the end of each half-semester and being given cash bonuses depending on how well the students do it (which in turn depends on how much you teach them and your skill)
-receiving patronages from spheremasters

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
Are there any plans to improve Whitehaven Academy's teaching job? Right now the max amount is like 400 something, which is peanuts. Beating up random thugs literally bring more cash than teaching as a professor for hours. I think the pay needs to be increased, or add events such as:
-having exam events at the end of each half-semester and being given cash bonuses depending on how well the students do it (which in turn depends on how much you teach them and your skill)
It might not be one of the things you end up doing throughout the game. It is an early game cash infusion if your skills are high enough, though. At some point some things just aren't worth doing once you get going on other things. Now, if your slave that is teaching has a chance to up her pay that would be nice. Maybe at a certain point Prof Wolf generates quests for further adventures of Prowler in the Depths when you reach a certain level of standing at the Academy.

Flutewind

Game Developer
Jun 5, 2021
It might not be one of the things you end up doing throughout the game. It is an early game cash infusion if your skills are high enough, though. At some point some things just aren't worth doing once you get going on other things. Now, if your slave that is teaching has a chance to up her pay that would be nice. Maybe at a certain point Prof Wolf generates quests for further adventures of Prowler in the Depths when you reach a certain level of standing at the Academy.
Exactly my point. It's not going to be something anyone would do in the long term, which is weird since:
1. Professorships should be pretty prestigious
2. You need a lot of skill for it
The only upside is a possible increase of willpower, but it comes with the possibility of losing willpower as well. Entrance is hard, it takes a lot of time, you suffer influence hits if you don't teach regularly, yet the pay is very poor and there's no real incentive to do it, which is why I suggested increasing the pay and/or adding events.

Jun 10, 2022
Exactly my point. It's not going to be something anyone would do in the long term, which is weird since:
1. Professorships should be pretty prestigious
2. You need a lot of skill for it
The only upside is a possible increase of willpower, but it comes with the possibility of losing willpower as well. Entrance is hard, it takes a lot of time, you suffer influence hits if you don't teach regularly, yet the pay is very poor and there's no real incentive to do it, which is why I suggested increasing the pay and/or adding events.
Put it in perspective though... 400 a day would be a great pay for a commoner.

You're not trying to play a commoner. You're playing a character that potentially is going to be going up against the highest powers known. Makes perfect sense that you need to move on from a common job to more dangerous and rewarding jobs.

FWIW- I always start off as a Professor. I make 405 a day when I teach. I've just gotten to the point where I have more things going on sometimes.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I finally got around to completing Caitlyn's quest last night. Very cool quest. Would love to see some more in depth quests like that on some of the other girls. Some already have quests obviously, but I haven't seen any others yet that are as in depth as Caitlyn's. Really adds depth to her character. Also adds a nice permanent income source :)

LizJ

Aug 13, 2020
My household is grumbling; the staff are upset; whispers of "Master's Pet" have be heard...

I have hired Ansel, and he attends dinners and parties, but the other adults in my household are left out. The old-timers among them remember the days when all the adults were invited, and every evening event fuels their resentment. (More "spending time" and extra carousing at Dockside Tavern has not appeased them.)

I tried to explain that it was not my choice; it was decided by the Creator.
That did not help. Although they have not not disclosed their religions, it seems that none of them are worshipers of Grim.

My latest idea was a House weapons tourney.
Anger fueled their efforts, and the outcome made many of them feel better:
  • Ansel finished last, earned only a participation ribbon, and was relegated to the Broad Side of a Charuck division.
  • If he loses again next time, his team at the Arena will be renamed The Ansel Motte Misses, and he must wear a Eden gown over his armor.
;)

• Wow
Reactions: GD-studios and FSDL

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
My household is grumbling; the staff are upset; whispers of "Master's Pet" have be heard...

I have hired Ansel, and he attends dinners and parties, but the other adults in my household are left out. The old-timers among them remember the days when all the adults were invited, and every evening event fuels their resentment. (More "spending time" and extra carousing at Dockside Tavern has not appeased them.)

I tried to explain that it was not my choice; it was decided by the Creator.
That did not help. Although they have not not disclosed their religions, it seems that none of them are worshipers of Grim.

My latest idea was a House weapons tourney.
Anger fueled their efforts, and the outcome made many of them feel better:
  • Ansel finished last, earned only a participation ribbon, and was relegated to the Broad Side of a Charuck division.
  • If he loses again next time, his team at the Arena will be renamed The Ansel Motte Misses, and he must wear a Eden gown over his armor.
;)
Just one of the reasons I don't use parties in this game, and for the most part I don't like the kinks that come with the party.

No parties and there is no grumbling!:p

But hey some players like those kind of kinks and more power to them.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Finally got my melee skill up past 90 and I'll have to say a pure melee build for combat is a lot more viable than I thought it would be. Once you have 80 dex or melee you can change MC's starting position to close so you don't have to waste a turn moving in during the fight and a power attack with a greatsword reliably does damage equivalent to a plasma gun with crits doing as much as Ayden's super coil gun (I took a guy in duraplate down to half in 1 shot and almost 1 shot someone in combat armor).

The icing on the cake is it makes those hits with the cane whip for capturing pretty much guaranteed. I haven't seen a way to make any of your followers start in the close position though, only the MC. So I'm not sure how viable a pure melee strategy would be for your mercs in a difficult fight. I would not want all of my mercs doing zero damage on the first round against a tier 6 bounty for instance.

Ezengrane

Apr 8, 2018
Finally got my melee skill up past 90 and I'll have to say a pure melee build for combat is a lot more viable than I thought it would be. Once you have 80 dex or melee you can change MC's starting position to close so you don't have to waste a turn moving in during the fight and a power attack with a greatsword reliably does damage equivalent to a plasma gun with crits doing as much as Ayden's super coil gun (I took a guy in duraplate down to half in 1 shot and almost 1 shot someone in combat armor).

The icing on the cake is it makes those hits with the cane whip for capturing pretty much guaranteed. I haven't seen a way to make any of your followers start in the close position though, only the MC. So I'm not sure how viable a pure melee strategy would be for your mercs in a difficult fight. I would not want all of my mercs doing zero damage on the first round against a tier 6 bounty for instance.
Yeah, I was doing fine with melee build and that katana thing for quite a few versions already. Followers are still better with a simple rifle than any melee weapon though, thanks to that wasted round. And since they grind their ranged stat this way it's easier to just equip railguns for special targets later.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think when the Academy/Historical Society faction is more fleshed out, teaching classes could also maybe spawn random quests to go find an artifact or something to turn in to the Historical Society. Would spice things up a bit if you're going Atheist and trying to make them a vassal.

Oct 2, 2019
Does anyone else dislike the "Advocate" trait? Even if your slave with the trait loves you, if her willpower is over 20, she tells the other slaves that you are a prick and raises their willpower to resist against you. I feel like the mechanic is a bit too binary?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Does anyone else dislike the "Advocate" trait? Even if your slave with the trait loves you, if her willpower is over 20, she tells the other slaves that you are a prick and raises their willpower to resist against you. I feel like the mechanic is a bit too binary?
Advocate and Feminist are actually both traits that you can use to your advantage. If you ignore them then yes those girls will work against you, but if you get them to low willpower and high corruption they'll help you break the other girls. Just takes some work.

Reactions: FSDL
Oct 2, 2019
Advocate and Feminist are actually both traits that you can use to your advantage. If you ignore them then yes those girls will work against you, but if you get them to low willpower and high corruption they'll help you break the other girls. Just takes some work.
Yeah, but the issue is that the mechanic does not care if the slave's affection level is extremely high. The advocate trait's effect doesn't make as much sense in that context. My preferred willpower level for slaves is between 10-29 (depending on how much I like that individual slave lol), which is already in the low range.

I guess the trait's effect would still make sense regardless of the slave's affection level in the event that the slave's willpower is incredibly high like 70+, but even if it seems bizarre that a slave that loves you would still be inciting rebellion against you when her willpower level is medium or low.

FSDL

Nov 29, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The character mechanics work well for me if I consider how I might feel/feel if I were to find myself in the situation depicted. I don't find it to be unreasonable that a person will resent finding themselves in indentured servitude while simultaneously discovering admirable qualities in the person to which they are indentured.

I's also like to point out that "enslavement', a misnomer here I think, does not suddenly turn the "enslaved" into dogs and cats or other non-sentient animals.

I say "misnomer" because, while it's convenient to refer to many as slaves, the game text clearly refers to slave contracts, which are begun and can be ended. But the word "slave" is in regualr use in the language, where saying "indentured servant" would be awkward. The in game institution though, resembles far more the "slavery" of places like the Ottoman Empire than say, the systems used in the pre civil war US deep south.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
My preferred willpower level for slaves is between 10-29 (depending on how much I like that individual slave lol), which is already in the low range.
To each his own, but the way the game's mechanics are set up you generally want your slaves willpower to either be really high (70+), or less than zero. You get various benefits for high willpower and also for low (especially negative) willpower. You don't really get anything for medium willpower.

Reactions: Xaos_

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
The new merc training mechanics are a nice improvement over the old way. Now I can specifically train ranged on Bud instead of watching him randomly gain strength/dex/melee, and can also train up his painfully low 75 hp to more like 150. Makes him a much more viable mid to long term option if you want to train him up and toss him a plasma gun rather than pick up another top tier. The training session can fail though so it's not going to be +1 ranged every time you train him. More like 50% or so and then I think the success chance drops lower once his stats reach a certain threshold.

I actually tried going with an all low tier squad just to see how it worked if I focused on training the mercs, but it's REALLY hard to get your tanking and damage dealing capabilities up to par with no top tiers in time for those tier 5 and 6 bounties to start showing up. Doyle can tank pretty well if you toss him some duraplate but he's really the only low tier who's effective with something stronger than a rifle by day 15 (when the tier 5s can start showing up). Also if you get the hardest version of the tier 5 as your first tier 5, 2 or 3 assault rifles is not going to cut it unless you have duraplate on everyone and doctors kits ready to use on 2 or 3 people per fight.

I got my first tier 5 bounty on day 16 and was barely able to afford both duraplate for Doyle and the aim implant for my main in time to have 2 people who could reliably hit something with an assault rifle. Got lucky and it was just a single guy with duraplate and a plasma gun so managed to do that one, but zero weapon drops. The next one however was the hard version and there's no way that was going to work. I had been training ranged on Bud every day but he was only up around 65 ranged by that time which means his hit rate with an assault rfile in that fight was 0%.

I think probably a more realistic option would be to pick up 1 top tier, both to tank and for the extra firepower and then try to get Bud trained up enough to be reliable with a plasma gun by day 35 when the tier 6 bounties can start showing up.

I do think it's now viable to actually run with a pure low tier squad indefinitely now since you can really train them up to be powerhouses eventually, but you'll probably have to just skip some of the tier 5 and 6 bounties for awhile.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 117 Votes