Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Hi guys, I have a few question for the veterans of this game to assess if it makes sense FOR ME to invest a lot of time in this game.

1) It seems to me that this game has a serious amoun of "grind" in it. When I look at things like the investments in the Wiki. I need 10.000 Influence for the big ones and then it takes for example for the General Store (Redhaven) investment more than 200 days before I break even 70k investment / 350 profits a day IF their are no disruptions. I mean I like to take my time and not trying to speedrun the days / the game. So I am supposed to play for half a year until I have the reputation, then invest and then play for 1-2 years so that the investment actually pays of eventually? How much time is that in Real Life? 100 hours?

Is there actually - FUN - stuff to do in this game for this kind of insane amount of time?

2) The combat system. It seems to me combat is: Get the best Ranged NPC you can afford. Give them Rifles. Give them Armor. Klick on NPC. Fire at Enemy. Klick on NPC fire at Enemy. Klick on NPC fire at Enemy. Is there anything else to it? There are no Skills like "rapid fire" or "aim" or anything else right? Also no leveling up except for the ultra slow and boring you get +1 if you crit (1/20 chance). There also is no special equipment with stats or stealth or anything. Just generic equipment and autoattack. Right? Combat feels like a boring chore.

Does this get better / more interesting / more challenging later in the game SOMEHOW?

3) There isn´t a way to get plastic surgery for the girls or a mod that adds varity for the body types is there? ALL women in this game - it seems - are of the same body type: "petite". As someone who likes curves, big boobs and big asses there aren´t really any options for me, right?

4) Is there any purpose to gambling beyond the 3 games a day in the Tavern for a few hundred bucks in potential profits? Are there some high stackes games later? Anything? I took all options to max gambling in char creation but it seems I loose 3 out of 4 games and "progress" seems to again happen 1/20 games on a crit ...
1. I started my longest Rise from the Ashes run eleven months ago. I generally played it one or two hours a day with a four to six hour session once a week or so on one of my days off. I coulda restarted like I've done countless times, but I enjoyed getting far enough in the game Laika aged up to 18 years old naturally.

2. There's a strategic component, especially if you play on Grimdark level and like capturing enemies. Bullets cost money, for the best guns it's goddam expensive. So I found trying to fight the most efficient battles a mini-game of its own. The best tactic in this regard is not always to hit the most dangerous attacker with everything you've got from everyone, sometimes you'll still make the kill if you use a rifle and have the mercs with ammo packs fire the coilguns and plasma rifles. It's kind of like playing Tetris with variably-shaped pieces. There's also an 'Aim' function too, it's on the right.

3. I prefer the more realistically rendered girls of MoR. There's plenty of games available where you can fuck beachball inspired women.

4. You can gain skill points gambling. I also like knowing there might be naked teen-aged sluts crawling around the floor sometimes getting their bellies filled.

Last edited:

Kellnaved

Jul 2, 2019
Same answer to all 4 questions.
It depends on you and how you choose to play.
If you want to grind, grind.
If you want battle, battle.
If you want to pimp, pimp.
Well I don´t want to battle if there is nothing to it. If there is no skills, if there is no use of terrain, if there is no challenge, quirks or perks or specialization or leveling system or anything other than autoattack then obviously no, I don´t want to play battles that have the tactical dept of tic-tac-toe. Thats why I asked If there is something I am missing with the battle system and it gets better later. Thanks for clarifying that.

I don´t want to grind. Grind is boring. But IF there are great rewards for it I can get through some of it. And no playing 800 "games" at the tavern where a random number is drawn and I get to decide: "hold", "reroll", "reroll wild" is not grind. It's torture as there is 0 fun to that. That's why I asked if there are actually rewards for going through the torture. It seems not. Thx again for letting me know.

So I choose to play without boring grind. How do I do that?

Kellnaved

Jul 2, 2019
1. I started my longest Rise from the Ashes run eleven months ago. I generally played it one or two hours a day with a four to six hour session once a week or so on one of my days off. I coulda restarted liked I've done countless times, but I enjoyed getting far enough in the game Laika aged up to 18 years old naturally.

2. There's a strategic component, especially if you play on Grimdark level and like capturing enemies. Bullets cost money, for the best guns it's goddam expensive. So I found trying to fight the most efficient battles a mini-game of its own. The best tactic in this regard is not always to hit the most dangerous attacker with everything you've got from everyone, sometimes you'll still make the kill if you use a rifle and have the mercs with ammo packs fire the coilguns and plasma rifles. It's kind of like playing Tetris with variably-shaped pieces. There's also an 'Aim' function too, it's on the right.

3. I prefer the more realistically rendered girls of MoR. There's plenty of games available where you can fuck beachball inspired women.

4. You can gain skill points gambling. I also like knowing there might be naked teen-aged sluts crawling around the floor sometimes getting their bellies filled.
Thank you for your reply.

1) Could you tell me what content kept you interested in these 600, 700+ hours of gameplay?

2) Look I don´t expect miracles concerning combat. But there is nothing here. No animations. No tactical movement. No terrain. No skills. No perks. No synergies. No unique items or set items. No abilities with cooldowns or weaknesses or special damage types or strategies in leveling up your team members or anything else. So ammo cost money. Great.

3) And I prefer big tits and curves. So sadly this game only offers content to people who like petite women and don´t give ANY opitons to player who don´t. Idealy a game which only offers pictures and no animations anyway should at least offer some varity in body types or give the player the option to modify them bases on there taste. I also don´t know where you are from but every single women being petite is certainly not realistic.

4) I know you level up gambling by gambling. As far as I understand with a 1/20 chance (crit) for +1 so if I want to go from 40 to 100 I need to play aprox. 1200 "games". Since the game consist of nothing other than clicking "keep / reroll / reroll wild" after a random number is generated I would rather watch the grass growth outside my window than do that obviously. So that is why I asked if there is any relevant reward for it? Like higher stakes games, special prices, invitation to special events whatever.

Last edited:

Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023
Hi guys, I have a few question for the veterans of this game to assess if it makes sense FOR ME to invest a lot of time in this game.

1) It seems to me that this game has a serious amoun of "grind" in it. When I look at things like the investments in the Wiki. I need 10.000 Influence for the big ones and then it takes for example for the General Store (Redhaven) investment more than 200 days before I break even 70k investment / 350 profits a day IF their are no disruptions. I mean I like to take my time and not trying to speedrun the days / the game. So I am supposed to play for half a year until I have the reputation, then invest and then play for 1-2 years so that the investment actually pays of eventually? How much time is that in Real Life? 100 hours?

Is there actually - FUN - stuff to do in this game for this kind of insane amount of time?

2) The combat system. It seems to me combat is: Get the best Ranged NPC you can afford. Give them Rifles. Give them Armor. Klick on NPC. Fire at Enemy. Klick on NPC fire at Enemy. Klick on NPC fire at Enemy. Is there anything else to it? There are no Skills like "rapid fire" or "aim" or anything else right? Also no leveling up except for the ultra slow and boring you get +1 if you crit (1/20 chance). There also is no special equipment with stats or stealth or anything. Just generic equipment and autoattack. Right? Combat feels like a boring chore.

Does this get better / more interesting / more challenging later in the game SOMEHOW?

3) There isn´t a way to get plastic surgery for the girls or a mod that adds varity for the body types is there? ALL women in this game - it seems - are of the same body type: "petite". As someone who likes curves, big boobs and big asses there aren´t really any options for me, right?

4) Is there any purpose to gambling beyond the 3 games a day in the Tavern for a few hundred bucks in potential profits? Are there some high stackes games later? Anything? I took all options to max gambling in char creation but it seems I loose 3 out of 4 games and "progress" seems to again happen 1/20 games on a crit ...
Gunner Rey's points are very valid and he is an established, long-time player. I haven't played the game for nearly as long as he has, but I'll add my point of view on things as well, since I've grown to love the game:

1 - It does have a serious amount of grind, no going around it. Some of it is pretty fun though. Other parts of it, makes me want to tear my hair out, so it kind of depends on what you're talking about. Influence grind is really not bad at all, the 10k number seems like a lot but it can be achieved relatively quickly without you even focusing on it specifically. The money grind is a different beast though. The thing about breaking even with your investment is a totally valid point, and in a vacuum, correct. But consider the fact that you are making a one time large investment for permanent passive income.

Eventually those investments add up and allow you to NOT have to do bounty hunting, for example, in which case you could get by doing nothing and staying at home all day. Which is not what I recommend, but I bring it up because at that point, you can switch your focus from bounty hunting to buying up slaves from slave markets and/or capturing them in combat, training them and then selling them for MASSIVE profits. OR, you could spend most of your time crafting items that will get you standing with several factions (that will, in turn, give you even more passive income once you reach certain thresholds).

So the game is about slowly building up an empire, or sorts, and offers different ways to do it. The harshest grind imo is actually the stat grind when you are looking to train certain specific stats on slaves (like Charisma). Those things could get tuned in the future though. Overall, managing your time and actions and slowly working towards a goal is one of the things that make the game interesting and fun for me. And you also get to build a big slave harem, that's also a plus.

2 - The combat is rather simplistic atm, and it does need an overall revamp. There is at least one combat revamp scheduled for a future patch already though. As of now, combat serves as a means to an end rather than as an end in and of itself, although I don't find it to be as boring as you described. It's simplistic, yeah, but if it was something that is orders of magnitude more complex than how it is now, it'd get old REALLY fast. Due to the nature of the game, you have to do combat a lot. A LOT. If every single encounter is some high-level super strategic encounter, player burnout would catch on really quick imo.

3 - There are no women with overly unrealistic proportions and it's true that there are plenty of petite, fit and athletic women in the game. There are some curvy ones though. Then again, depends on what you mean by curvy. Look up images of a slave called Nicole Boulay and/or Aisha Hasan. They are both what's considered a "story slave" (meaning they are "special, unique slaves instead of a random one you can get through RNG by capturing in combat or buying at an auction). They are both curvy, but also pretty fit.

And I know of at least one random slave that is curvy all around (but not fat). However, if what you mean by curvy is fat, then no, I don't think there are any of those ingame. There are a couple of random slaves with a little bit of a "beer belly", yes, but I don't think they have had their sex scenes done yet, and I think they are the closest to "having a belly".

Also you CAN give the slaves plastic surgery ingame, but it doesn't change their appearance. It instead, increases their beauty stat up to a threshold (which is one of the factors that weigh the most when you put that slave up for sale, since beautiful slaves sell for a premium).

4 - Gambling is also kind of raw in the game atm, and I can't really comment on it. I don't think it's worth investing in it atm though, as there are no "high stakes poker" or some high-end way you can use gambling to earn big profits. It might get worked on in the future, but as of now? I'd say focus on other stuff.

So to sum it all up, this is currently a management game more than anything else, and a lot of the fun in it comes from the setting, writing and straight up actions you can take in that regard, like training slaves. Specifically, the way you train slaves.
It has a bit of a mean learning curve, but the discord community is very active and very helpful, including the creator himself.
Give it an honest shake, you might like it.

Last edited:

Kellnaved

Jul 2, 2019
Thank you very much for the extensive reply Ka1tzer.

1) Yes I like long running games. It is just that I can´t really imagine - after playing 10 days in the game - what I would do for 500, 600, 700 days in this game ... I mean there are 1000s of great games out there and I have obviously no intention on spending all my gaming time for the next 2 real live years on grinding up stats in this game ... The question to me was just when I already have 10.000 influence and 100k+ money to make these investments .. what's the point of getting a small daily profit 250 days later? There is no inflation, nobody can steal my money so why invest if there are a 100 days of content that keep me interested left?

2) At the current state of combat a "autoresolve" button would make the most sense. If I compare this combat to portals of phereon or CoC2 or tales of androgynity it seems like a cripple in a wheelchair trying to hit a golf ball on the mini golf course vs the finale of the US Masters.

3) I just would like since there are suppossedly dozens of women available to have a few that meet my taste. I don´t think having a women with more than A or B cups is "overly unrealistic" or means I want beach ball sized tits. But having ONE or TWO out of 30 that have these proportions or giving the player the option to "change" (magic or plasitc sugery or whatever) a few of the girls to what they like other than petite would be a bad idea.

Of course there are people that only want one single body type for all women in the game and they are offended if you include an "option" to change that or a mod that could change that. Thats nothing new. There will always be people that hate diversity and belittle or insult people that have a different taste then them.

4) Yes. It is just borring. Noting else to it. If I could at least hit outresolve again, and would see some progress like starting out with low stakes of 100 or 200 and then 300, 500, 1000 etc. that would be something. Or some random change for a high stakes game or a special price every few games or if the game had ANY interesting mechanics at all. But there is noting to it.

So my problem in General is just do I want to spend a lot of time in a game in which all the grindy mechanice seems to be unbelievabel repetitive and boring? Well if there is a great payoff to it sure. But nobody seems to be able or willing to explain these great payoffs to me.

I mean after just playing 10 days a lot of the activities just feel like a boring second job to me. I don´t understand what keeps people playing these for 100s of days (ingame and in RL). And the game also has an exceptional rating. So there has to be SOMETHING to it .. I guess. I just can´t figure it out.

caju

Oct 5, 2017

1) Yes I like long running games. It is just that I can´t really imagine - after playing 10 days in the game - what I would do for 500, 600, 700 days in this game ...
There is a shit-ton of "hidden" quests.

Reactions: Gunner Rey

tsap

Apr 19, 2019

1)...

Good questions - and though they already got some excellent answers, I'd still like to add something that has been essential to me during the time I clicked one nice gaming mouse to retirement with this verily grindy (but very nice too) game and started with another much cheaper mouse.

I am an old guy, my once quite promising future lies already long behind me, and in a sense or several I am a damn poor player as well. Yet I like to believe I have something that helps in this game we are now discussing. Call it lunacy, stupidity, attitude, creative self-deceit or imagination, but it aids a good deal with grinding.

Those body types, now. There are 5 of them, from petite via normal to plump. Unfortunately they are not currently too distinctly paraded out and not perhaps even so thoroughly described verbally, but they do exist in game.
There is also a mechanism to feed slaves a bit differently and receive different results from their varying nourishment. Their weight is not constant. Seeing the changing numbers I use my imagination and don't let it bother myself too much that the pics stay same. Simple, but I am a simpleminded one, so that works for me. (Had Aria Biachi at 150 kilos once...o_O)

To gambling I have very little to say. (I gamble only a little bit in one certain place when I'm starting a game run) I just think maybe you haven't found the right tavern or perhaps not even the nicest type of game, yet. To me real playing usually starts when I succeed to do something in game that the game makers themselves have neglected or haven't meant at all in the first place. Those typically small things are my 'side games', meaningless to most, but much fun to me.

Reactions: Gunner Rey

Ka1tzer

Jan 12, 2023

1) Yes I like long running games. It is just that I can´t really imagine - after playing 10 days in the game - what I would do for 500, 600, 700 days in this game ... I mean there are 1000s of great games out there and I have obviously no intention on spending all my gaming time for the next 2 real live years on grinding up stats in this game ... The question to me was just when I already have 10.000 influence and 100k+ money to make these investments .. what's the point of getting a small daily profit 250 days later? There is no inflation, nobody can steal my money so why invest if there are a 100 days of content that keep me interested left?

2) At the current state of combat a "autoresolve" button would make the most sense. If I compare this combat to portals of phereon or CoC2 or tales of androgynity it seems like a cripple in a wheelchair trying to hit a golf ball on the mini golf course vs the finale of the US Masters.

3) I just would like since there are suppossedly dozens of women available to have a few that meet my taste. I don´t think having a women with more than A or B cups is "overly unrealistic" or means I want beach ball sized tits. But having ONE or TWO out of 30 that have these proportions or giving the player the option to "change" (magic or plasitc sugery or whatever) a few of the girls to what they like other than petite would be a bad idea.

Of course there are people that only want one single body type for all women in the game and they are offended if you include an "option" to change that or a mod that could change that. Thats nothing new. There will always be people that hate diversity and belittle or insult people that have a different taste then them.

4) Yes. It is just borring. Noting else to it. If I could at least hit outresolve again, and would see some progress like starting out with low stakes of 100 or 200 and then 300, 500, 1000 etc. that would be something. Or some random change for a high stakes game or a special price every few games or if the game had ANY interesting mechanics at all. But there is noting to it.

So my problem in General is just do I want to spend a lot of time in a game in which all the grindy mechanice seems to be unbelievabel repetitive and boring? Well if there is a great payoff to it sure. But nobody seems to be able or willing to explain these great payoffs to me.

I mean after just playing 10 days a lot of the activities just feel like a boring second job to me. I don´t understand what keeps people playing these for 100s of days (ingame and in RL). And the game also has an exceptional rating. So there has to be SOMETHING to it .. I guess. I just can´t figure it out.
I'll say that currently, a lot of the payoffs come in the form of "flavor", in the sense that you go from being a nearly broke guy to becoming a powerful Warlord in a high sci-fi dystopian setting mixed with Mad Max. The writing is pretty good too. At the very least, far more interesting than the writing I've seen on several other AVNs. There's also the fact that this is a GAME with a plot, as opposed to it being "a book that you play", like most AVNs are. Some people might consider what I'll say next as a spoiler, so I'll hide in line.

At some point in the game, you get the opportunity to have your own private army. Mechanically, in-game it doesn't give you much as you can't currently directly make use of your army to, say, attack an enemy house/faction. It does add to your house's "power rating" though (and you jump from having 20-ish power rating to over 100 in one fell swoop when you complete the requirements to get this private army).

Several questlines hint at an underlying conspiracy and the world-building (and the sheer amount of depravity contained in it) is very good and quite extensive.

These here are some descriptions of things that are possible to do/be in the game right now, but most of which require quite a bit of work/grind. Note that most of them are "flavor/rp" rewards (though some of them give monetary rewards as well):

Eventually you can become the Redhaven Warlord that is also a renowned scholar that co-participated in the research and discovery of an otherwise incurable disease, an elite combatant that is the Arena Champion and the owner of one of the elite Gladiatrixes, the effective leader of 2, maybe 3 different religious sects, the owner of a big private army, and someone with big connections within the underbelly of Ikaanos through the Carozza family and through the supplying of weapons in the underground, on top of being the Kymanto Syndicate's darling rising star. But you start as, basically, a hobo.

If RPGs ain't your thing, you might not like it. But the combination of all those possibilities + setting + writing + extremely active and responsive dev with clear communication of his plans present and future did it for me.

Last edited:

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
The short and simple answer is that it is a slow paced sandbox game, where you can choose different ways of grinding towards an arbitrary goal in a fictional world. Think of it like a bonsai tree. Some people enjoy small rewards over longer period of time.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
When I asked google bard to solve the Rosita Ice cypher

It replied:
Here is a possible solution to the puzzle "wrano esta fres rfes ab vando rasew cgt pawo rubi asw oglebar hmill mulle abels abaltor berenden frem den skam ase wolx":

The words are in a different order, but they are all English words. The puzzle can be solved by rearranging the words to form a sentence.

The solution is: "The last wolf ate the brave man in the barn."

This sentence makes sense and is grammatically correct. It is a possible answer to the puzzle.

Here is another possible solution: "The brave man ate the wolf in the last barn."

This sentence also makes sense and is grammatically correct. It is another possible answer to the puzzle.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Thank you for your reply.

1) Could you tell me what content kept you interested in these 600, 700+ hours of gameplay?
The girls mainly, I'll not pretend otherwise. Each month or so a new girl's renders plus other new quests and features would be added. When I started I created a new character with every update but eventually I tried a Rise from the Ashes run and once I'd grinded my way out of that pathetic start I just continued playing it with every update.

2) Look I don´t expect miracles concerning combat. But there is nothing here. No animations. No tactical movement. No terrain. No skills. No perks. No synergies. No unique items or set items. No abilities with cooldowns or weaknesses or special damage types or strategies in leveling up your team members or anything else. So ammo cost money. Great.
There are abilities. Rebecca hits harder than other girls, and once trained high enough harder than even top-tier mercs. That's related to her Traits, and you notice the difference when you play out enough combats.

Once you clear the board the first time you'll notice the income opportunities from combat dry up substantially. Only the recurring ones are available and their prevalence is affected by the level of control the Republic has and you are capable of changing that by pursuing different strategies. It's still finite though, so if you cut your costs in ammo you'll find you accumulate cash faster and get to the investments (Roo, Walton, Aimee's, the various factions etc) which give you the income so you don't have to worry about money as much.

According to Steam I have some 8500 hours playing Hearts of Iron IV (a comprehensive WWII strategy game) and I find enough in the system for it to be diverting. I find the combat to be more like Tetris with pieces which vary in shape and size as they move down the screen, as you need to take out all the opposing enemies but don't need overkill or to spend a lot but at the same time the damage you do will not be constant and taking hits you don't need to costs in Tendstims or time at the Baths.

That you can now raise troops and equip them and there's various factions to compete against or try to control is a development I've strongly supported and hope to see more of. This game is still in development so there might well be more to it in the end.

3) And I prefer big tits and curves. So sadly this game only offers content to people who like petite women and don´t give ANY opitons to player who don´t. Idealy a game which only offers pictures and no animations anyway should at least offer some varity in body types or give the player the option to modify them bases on there taste. I also don´t know where you are from but every single women being petite is certainly not realistic.
Amelia is hardly petite and Aria has more of an athletic amazonian bodytype to me. Piper kind of reminds me of a blow-up doll, and Juno has a rocking bod. Aisha is not exactly petite either. There are more than a few that aren't petite by any reasonable standard.

I don't care about animations and am generally more likely to be wary of games that rely on them.

4) I know you level up gambling by gambling. As far as I understand with a 1/20 chance (crit) for +1 so if I want to go from 40 to 100 I need to play aprox. 1200 "games". Since the game consist of nothing other than clicking "keep / reroll / reroll wild" after a random number is generated I would rather watch the grass growth outside my window than do that obviously. So that is why I asked if there is any relevant reward for it? Like higher stakes games, special prices, invitation to special events whatever.
You can gain points in other skills too. As for higher stakes gambling there might be more of that in the future. Currently you can win a girl (Adrienne) during Michelle's 'Lost Girls' quest if you choose to do it that way.

Some people like to play video poker, I am amongst them. Once you know what you're doing it amounts to doing little more than "keep / reroll / reroll wild" after a random number is generated" but if I have to kill some time I'll pull out my cellphone and play that game. I like real poker better, and have even played it professionally, but just for fun I like to play the video kind too sometimes.

I'd like it even better if it had smoking hot naked sluts in it.

toporiska

Mar 21, 2019
You can assign up to 4 followers from your household and slaves, then the slave-assign buttons disappear. Is your party full?
No. 3/4 filled. I cannot assign a family or follower to slot 4. But when I start the game again, there is no such problem.

Quickpawmaud

Jul 4, 2019
Is it really $5 per month just to get a single static quest? I would be willing to pay a one time price for that possibly but an infinite amount?

LizJ

Aug 13, 2020
No. 3/4 filled. I cannot assign a family or follower to slot 4. But when I start the game again, there is no such problem.
OK, in my unofficial opinion, you have a broken game.
If you can catch the attention of the dev, give him the symptoms and the .save file so that he might learn from it.
As for a work-around: Actions & Events > Debug (Gear icon) > Clear All Followers. (Might require new save and reload.)

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Is it really $5 per month just to get a single static quest? I would be willing to pay a one time price for that possibly but an infinite amount?
It's the slavegirl that comes with it that's the actual prize.

You can pay a one-time price for it too, she doesn't go away if you stop subscribing, you just wouldn't be able to start a new game and have her or get any of her updates. She has a full picture portfolio now though and updates for those girls have been few and far between the last year or so as he caught up on his render backload.

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes