Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
(y) You're welcome, pleasure mine.

I'll heavily look into making RPA archives if this is the solution to people getting easier update patches.
For doing patches myself in my own job - not Ren'Py projects, but patches anyway - I can give you some advices:
  • Worst thing you can do, for a patch, is to DELETE A RUNNABLE FILE. Don't do it. You don't need a script anymore? Leave it with only a comment like "Stuff moved to file XXXXX.rpy". Don't need an executable anymore? Replace it with a one displaying a dialog box saying "This executable isn't needed anymore, see XXXX instead".
    Otherwise, when the player put the patch in his game folder, both the old AND the new version will be loaded, and it will result in a broken game, with old code loaded at the same time as new code.
  • Second worst thing is reworking on old parts: it will implies to redistribute "previous" RPA. You rendered a new intro? Fine, but you'll need to redistribute all involved RPA, including some for a minor thing. But it's also why several RPA are better than a gigantic one: you won't need to redistribute the "big one" constantly.
  • Don't need an image anymore? Leave it. It takes space on end-user disk, true, but it's harmless. Same for music/sound files. You'll clean that in final, standalone version. Not in patches.
  • RPA archives allows you to manage a whole set of files as one single entity. For example, all your scripts weights only 5 MB, compiled ones included. So it will be a very small RPA, and you can replace them fully on each update - it will also handle scripts deletion, since the RPA will be replaced.
  • Resources' RPA: 1st method (my prefered)
    • For images: do a RPA with all current images, with an explicit name (like "images_ch3_0_1.rpa"). For next update, put all your NEW images in another RPA ("images_ch3_0_2.rpa"), and so on.
      Easy way to test that: always add new resources DIRECTLY in the "new sub-RPA".
    • Music / sounds / other resources: same as images, one RPA per type of resource, with current version.
  • Resources' RPA: 2nd method
    • Put all resources in a RPA for this version ("resources_ch3_0_1.rpa").
    • Put all NEW resources in a RPA for the update ("resources_ch3_0_2.rpa"), whatever these resources are - but scripts, keep them separated anyway.
  • Obviously, an update can lack some elements: you may not need to add any music for an update... You can also number the RPA not with the game version, but with an incremental number.
  • Other elements should not be modified between updates (ex: "lib" and "renpy" folders), and anyway, they aren't so heavy - 80 MB maximum, uncompressed - and can be distributed unconditionnally.
You only need to take care of which files you modify for an update, so you know which RPA / folders you'll have to distribute. If you use a SCM (Git, SVN, ...), it can be extremely easy to get this between each update. For example, I've set up a SVN server on my NAS just for keeping track of changes on my own, personal stuff: it's a recovery in case my PC fails, and I can keep track of changes - and why I did them. But adding new files with a procedure, directly in a RPA, will also works.

If you need advices, we can start a private conversation about this subject. Software development is my job for 20 years, so I may have a few tricks up my sleeve... ;)

• Star-struck
Reactions: Cokane0

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
Cokane0
fuck me sideways, the wonders you could do with a few people working for you/ with you
you know.. other devs could take a lesson from your VN and especially the devs that like to force other people with unskippable scenes, now this is a scene that I don't mind at all not skipping, fucking awesome :D (the beginning of chapter 3)
amazeballs!
love it!
too bad I'm broke :(
I seriously hope you get more followers since this is an Tier A VN (for me at least)
also music is pretty god damn good and appropriate for the scenes!
story is compelling as well of course
love the characters :D
I know I kinda said something similar in another post of mine but fuck me sideways this is a hidden fucking gem!

preskerd

Sep 27, 2017
Cokane0 Will we get a lot of repeatable scenes in chapter 3 like the past chapters? I love everything about the game but I especially love repetable scenes more. With lots of those game world feels more lively and it gives a reason to return to the game even when the new update is in the works. I hope we will get lots of those on chapter 3 as well

Edit: As a side note. I think you have one of the hottest incest games without having actual incest in it (not even step thing) thanks to the dialogue. I highly recommend 'daddy' route for new players or people who replays if incest fetish is your thing of course

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
OOOOKAY.... This looks like a great game... I got started and ran through Chapt 1 & 2 and now we've got a chapter 3...?? I think BUT IT doesn't continue from my save games from the end of Ver 2.9...I just am at the end where I was!! No Path forward??!!

So I try to start it from the beginning of Ch. 3 and it asks me all these questions about the girls and HELL I DON'T REMEMBER... So I want to Go back and start at Chapter 1 BUT NOW IT's labeled ver3.1 ???
AND DON'T Use save games from earlier versions!!
I don't have my old copy of Ver 1 and want to re-download it but I'm TOTALLY CONFUSED as to what the Correct Sequence of Versions is--are??

Can somebody please straighten this mess out for a dumby like me???

Aug 9, 2018
OOOOKAY.... This looks like a great game... I got started and ran through Chapt 1 & 2 and now we've got a chapter 3...?? I think BUT IT doesn't continue from my save games from the end of Ver 2.9...I just am at the end where I was!! No Path forward??!!

So I try to start it from the beginning of Ch. 3 and it asks me all these questions about the girls and HELL I DON'T REMEMBER... So I want to Go back and start at Chapter 1 BUT NOW IT's labeled ver3.1 ???
AND DON'T Use save games from earlier versions!!
I don't have my old copy of Ver 1 and want to re-download it but I'm TOTALLY CONFUSED as to what the Correct Sequence of Versions is--are??

Can somebody please straighten this mess out for a dumby like me???

Chapter 1 got its intro and some scenes redone and rereleased, so 3.1 is the one you want if you're playing chapter 1.

If you just need answers to your questions tho, most of them are answered in chapter 2. The chapter 1 stuff is just did you fuck this person in the ass and what did they call you when you did it.

Aug 9, 2018
Everything you say has merit. Would love to do all of that.
Unfortunately I am smol brain and I have 0 UI/graphic design skills. So rip me. The only reason the game functions as well as it does on the backend or has a some nice features is all do to the work of two f95zone members.

Fine idea, split off repeatable content into a separate pack yeah? I don't know what an RPA is because smol brain. This is the same logic of people asking me to do update patches. +1

Correct. Should be done.

All correct.

I legit had Masterdragonson hand me this code on a silver platter to make save games between the chapters compatible.
So should this be done, yes.

Okay, umm so now that I've agreed with all your very well put together thoughts on how to fix these dumb design choices I'm just gonna throw out my shitty reasoning as to why none of this is done already.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Can I just say that while all of these technical changes would be welcome, I genuinely respect your dedication to just being horny instead

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cokane0

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
Cokane0
fuck me sideways, the wonders you could do with a few people working for you/ with you
Hey m8, sorry for the super super late response. Always know that your comments make me feel very warm and fuzzy.
And really I think the opposite. I have no idea why a bigger Koikatsu creator has not reached out to me for H scene animations.
But yeah, who knows what the future holds m8. Stay posted.
Ps. I hope you've sat through some of my other action scenes. The start of Chapter 3 isn't near my personal favorite.

Cokane0 Will we get a lot of repeatable scenes in chapter 3 like the past chapters?
Yeah bro, more repeatable content is planned. Thing is, big picture at the moment, I have these certain story beats I have to have to hit. Gotta get these out of my head, they split my mind to pieces. But uhhh really want to do a elf beach day with Mimika and Haru.

It is always Chapter one, regardless of version number.
Then Chapter two, regardless of version number.
Then Chapter three, regardless of version number.

Enjoy m8.

Can I just say that while all of these technical changes would be welcome, I genuinely respect your dedication to just being horny instead
Yeah dedication, I'm gonna hop back on that.

Speaking of dedication I posted an early update Chapter 3 1.0 ---> 1.5 on my patreon on the 16th of jan.
I'm honestly insulted that none of you filthy pirates leaked it here. It has an update patch pretty straight forward. So no big download.

Stay frosty.

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
It is always Chapter one, regardless of version number.
Then Chapter two, regardless of version number.
Then Chapter three, regardless of version number.

Enjoy m8.

Stay frosty.
Yeah... just wanted to get back about that. I finally figured out that 3.1 was not chapter 3.10 but Chapter 1 ver. 3.1. I wasn't confused by the fact that someone forgot to put the "Capt. 1" in front of the version number....noooo couldn't have been confusing, could it?

But alls well that faps well....er ends well.

the thing is was with almost 20 girls (and other data) to try and remember and re-enter the same pet names for in each new chapter, for an anal compulsive guy like me...with a bad memory...I just had to start over...BESIDES, chapter one was fun to do again!! Good stuff guy.

I'm weird. I appreciate and am amazed at all the animation scenes you put into this story. Lots a hard work there but I'm really following it for the fact that you have an amazing imagination. I don't usually like fantasy unless it 'strikes a nerve' (and not just that one) but you're doing good. I can only hope you don't 'dump' the story like I've sen other Devs do...or run out of ideas.

So I'm not just 'fappin' I'm standing and Clappin' at your great work...keep on keepin' on!

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
well if that the case i need some hero to compress chap 1 first to check the story fit on me or not :4Head:
If you liked games like "Hero's Harem Guild" or "Corrupted Kingdoms", you'll probably like this one too - came here like this. You can go safely in this case.
Tags are exact, and I don't think there is one missing - I would have added "humor" AFAIC, however...

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
I'm honestly insulted that none of you filthy pirates leaked it here.
That right there may be the reason why. We're all very clean pirates here, we shower at least twice a month, depending on how often it rains. Gotta save that water, you see.
So if you're going to be rude like that, we're also not touching your game before the public release. How does it feel to not have your product spread all over the internet before it's official public release schedule? Yeah, that'll teach you. :KEK:

hofom77573

Apr 17, 2021
Don't, it will break the game.
Would be nice if you could figure how to stamp saves by chapters and import them into the next release... It was such a nice feature in the old playstation days when games had multiple disc :HideThePain:

Something like on the last scene add
"Thank you for playing Chapter X
Save here to import into Chapter Y"
Add a unique variable that is that chapters end marker.

After load check if saves are for that chapter and if it's for the previous chapter, then do another check to see if it can be imported, and finally if it can then import it sending the player right after the questionnaire.

That would be much more convenient for fans in the long run.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
Do I download chapter 1 V1.3 then chapter 2 V0.9 or just the top one
Each chapter is a complete, separated download. You must anyways play them in the correct order, otherwise you won't be able to setup properly (and knowledgly) the next one.
So you have three downloads to do.

Use the gallery to check your overall progression: as long as you have locked replays, you didn't finished the whole story.

4.30 star(s) 43 Votes