4.50 star(s) 280 Votes
Sep 21, 2017
I figured that the best background for the text window is an invisible one. ;) A black outline and a little shadow added to white text will make it readable on any kind of background scene without the need of a half-transparent window covering up to a quarter of the scene in some games.

BTW, Sorry for my English being sluggish at times, I guess I used the word "redundant" in an awkward context or something. :winkytongue:
I agree! on the transparent text box...my balls have been blue in between releases and I DON`T want a fucking opaque text box adding more to the problem:tf:

Aprilia1k

Jul 7, 2017
I figured that the best background for the text window is an invisible one. ;) A black outline and a little shadow added to white text will make it readable on any kind of background scene without the need of a half-transparent window covering up to a quarter of the scene in some games.

BTW, Sorry for my English being sluggish at times, I guess I used the word "redundant" in an awkward context or something. :winkytongue:
I agree with you - an outlined font with dark/light is ideal for virtually all backgrounds, totally! And transparent is my typical setting, though I vary it, content depending as well, if the lower portion of the bg image doesn't impress me, heh.
I haven't investigated anything like outline, shadow, etc.. in RenPy yet -- do tell! I played something that had a "floating" capability, to re-position the text at will - that was kinda cool too.

Oh - no, your English is excellent. In fact, you didn't really misuse the word even - for me, it's always meant "repetitive, overlapping, duplicating" (effort, function, or etc..), "doing the same thing as was already done" - but another def is near to synonymous with the word I would use - superfluous, which doesn't really mean "duplicate", but means "unnecessary, no-added-value, dead-weight" - like many of the words in my posts, I fear ;-) doh!... Truth is, I am likely biased by years of using "redundant" as a computer term (like in RAID, or in multiple (redundant) servers for use in load-balancing, Failover scenarios, etc.. and other superfluous words I use impulsively after a 3rd cup of java. You're good, for sure.

I agree! on the transparent text box...my balls have been blue in between releases and I DON`T want a fucking opaque text box adding more to the problem:tf:
LOL!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I agree with you - an outlined font with dark/light is ideal for virtually all backgrounds, totally! And transparent is my typical setting, though I vary it, content depending as well, if the lower portion of the bg image doesn't impress me, heh.
I haven't investigated anything like outline, shadow, etc.. in RenPy yet -- do tell! I played something that had a "floating" capability, to re-position the text at will - that was kinda cool too.
I don't have much to say about outlines, Ren'Py wiki is all you need:

A simple patch (in my sig) adds outlines to the dialog box and name label text and changes dialog text color to white. That's 5 lines of code in the beginning of the file.
4 more lines to remove background images from both of the boxes.

Everything else is there to override some non-standard gui configuration in some specific games, override character-specific text styling or change some tiresome-to-read fonts with Ren'Py default (DejaVu Sans).

I guess I could have added some other functionality, like enable dev console, rollback etc, but there are other tools for it already made by other people and I wanted to limit this patch to styling only, so people can use it separately from other tools as they see fit.

Reactions: Aprilia1k

velzz

Jun 13, 2018

hey who's the asian chick in that gif from your comment?

4.50 star(s) 280 Votes