yamcha

Jun 23, 2018
hey so where do I extract this fix file to? just want a step by step please for a high person (smoked a shit ton of weed)

Lysergic

Aug 18, 2018
So do I just apply the 21 fix script to the 20 game folder? Or do I first add the 20 to 21 file, then apply the 21 fix?
because that's what I did but I got to the other couple's house and get an exception like every other frame. I can hit ignore and it keeps playing but it is annoying.

Gary_Indiana

Jun 24, 2018
hey so where do I extract this fix file to? just want a step by step please for a high person (smoked a shit ton of weed)
Let me take a stab at it.

1. download all 3 files from the first post of this thread (MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc.zip, Midlife_Crisis_20to21.zip, 21FixedScript.zip)

Then stop and think about how many millions of stars there are in the Universe

2. Unpack MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc.zip

3. Unpack Midlife_Crisis_20to21.zip and move both scripts.rpa and version21.rpa into your MidlifeCrisis/Game folder. Overwrite as needed.

4. Unpack 21FixedScript.zip and move scripts.rpa into your MidlifeCrisis/Game folder. Overwrite as needed and then start your game.

5. When you get to a certain part of the story you might see the following error

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/version21.rpy", line 3011, in script
if not bo_name:
File "game/version21.rpy", line 3011, in <module>
if not bo_name:
NameError: name 'bo_name' is not defined"

If you do then you can fix it by using unren.bat

Basically you want to use Option 3 Enable Console and Development Menu and once you've done that. Restart your game and

6. Press Shift-O in your game and at the console prompt write bo_name = 'whatevernameyouwanthere'

Or if you want to fix it permanently then use option 1 in unren.bat Extract RPA packages
and open up version21.rpy in an editor. add a "define" statement under the last default statement so it looks like this:

Line
13 default bailedout21v = False
14 define bo_name = ""

Save the file and restart your game

Then think about the stars again and how many there are and how a good chunk of them might like contain intelligent life.
And isn't it weird that we haven't been contacted yet? Maybe it's because we are not in the real universe at all. Maybe we are in a some high with a Toposophic rating of 6 or above has created

Last edited:

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
So do I just apply the 21 fix script to the 20 game folder? Or do I first add the 20 to 21 file, then apply the 21 fix?
because that's what I did but I got to the other couple's house and get an exception like every other frame. I can hit ignore and it keeps playing but it is annoying.
Yes, from the first page of this topic download these 3:
1) Win/Linux (v0.20) if you don't have this already
2) Update (v0.20>v0.21)
3) Update (
v0.21 Fix)

Then install them in order (1,then 2,then 3), overwriting when prompted.

If you have an existing install of v20, and you've used mods in it, your saves may not work. But that's true for quite a few VN's, so you may need to wait for the mod you used to be updated.

Ghostface Reborn

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2018
Let me take a stab at it.

1. download all 3 files from the first post of this thread (MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc.zip, Midlife_Crisis_20to21.zip, 21FixedScript.zip)

Then stop and think about how many millions of stars there are in the Universe

2. Unpack MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc.zip

3. Unpack Midlife_Crisis_20to21.zip and move both scripts.rpa and version21.rpa into your MidlifeCrisis/Game folder. Overwrite as needed.

4. Unpack 21FixedScript.zip and move scripts.rpa into your MidlifeCrisis/Game folder. Overwrite as needed and then start your game

5. When you get to a certain part of the story you might see the following error

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/version21.rpy", line 3011, in script
if not bo_name:
File "game/version21.rpy", line 3011, in <module>
if not bo_name:
NameError: name 'bo_name' is not defined"

If you do then you can fix it by using unren.bat

Basically you want to use Option 3 Enable Console and Development Menu and once you've done that. Restart your game and

6. Press Shift-O in your game and at the console prompt write bo_name = 'whatevernameyouwanthere'

Or if you want to fix it permanently then use option 1 in unren.bat Extract RPA packages
and open up version21.rpy in an editor. add a "define" statement under the last default statement so it looks like this:

Line
13 default bailedout21v = False
14 define bo_name = ""

Then think about the stars again and how many there are and how a good chunk of them might like contain intelligent life.
And isn't it wierd like we haven't been contacted yet. Maybe it's because we are not in the real universe at all. Maybe we are in a some high with a Toposophic rating of 6 or above has created
uh.......fake news! was that it? did i do it right?

Nefastus

Game Developer
Jun 22, 2018
So out of curiosity, anyone use the 'see all' option? If so what did you think of it as a mechanic, with the option at the end to pick the 'canon' choices going forward. Just wondering if it is worth considering going forward or if it's better to keep things simple and just warn when there are spots I think people should leave a save at.

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
So out of curiosity, anyone use the 'see all' option? If so what did you think of it as a mechanic, with the option at the end to pick the 'canon' choices going forward. Just wondering if it is worth considering going forward or if it's better to keep things simple and just warn when there are spots I think people should leave a save at.
I liked it, plain and simple. In my opinion, having you choose you own "canon" ending after seeing all options is a nice way to handle it

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
I thought that it was a good idea, but there is rollback on renpy and unlimited saves(as far as I know, I stoped at page 53 of saves), but it did have some problems like; I choose the sharing path, go all the way, and then because of the if/else it went back to the MFF threesome right after the choice point, but it is good, in the end, it comes down to how much more work it is for you, and if you think it is worth taking the time, but again we do have rollback and saves so you don't need to feel bad if you don't want to implement something like this again.

Also, I don't know if it was just me(I use a "mod" that makes the text box transparent and it caused problems before) but when taking Sandra with me it got an error because of bo_name not being defined, I worked around it but I thought it was worth a mention, and yes I downloaded and installed the "fix".

Gary_Indiana

Jun 24, 2018
I'm torn to be honest. The lazy part of me likes to be able to see all the content without replaying but it also kind of diminishes the importance of your choices. On the whole I think it works as a mechanic for this game.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 188 Votes