Jan 24, 2022
Just my 5 cents here. It seems we're seeing more and more of these games being abandoned. Quite a few that I've been following have met that fate as of late. Common thread with all of them is that as good as they start out pretty soon there are too many choices, too many path options, this is avoidable and that is avoidable. As great as all of that might seem at some point it has to become a developmental nightmare that leads to frustration and burn out and the dev walks away. For most of the creators here it's a side gig not a full time job so I get why updates sometimes take months to come about and lets not forget, sometimes life just happens.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Just my 5 cents here. It seems we're seeing more and more of these games being abandoned. Quite a few that I've been following have met that fate as of late. Common thread with all of them is that as good as they start out pretty soon there are too many choices, too many path options, this is avoidable and that is avoidable. As great as all of that might seem at some point it has to become a developmental nightmare that leads to frustration and burn out and the dev walks away. For most of the creators here it's a side gig not a full time job so I get why updates sometimes take months to come about and lets not forget, sometimes life just happens.
It's only abandoned according F95's rules. Nef have done this before (albeit last time he was in the hospital). It's way to early to write this of as abandoned.

• Haha
Reactions: kevjo76 and c3p0

AlterdStates7

Feb 18, 2020
It's only abandoned according F95's rules. Nef have done this before (albeit last time he was in the hospital). It's way to early to write this of as abandoned.
I agree it's too early to really consider it abandoned. That said IIRC Nef had personal issues>writer's block>non-canon episode>radio silence leading to abandoned tag. Which to me is a pattern that flashes the warning lights. (that we might not see Jennifer and Amanda applying cocoa butter to each other's preggo bellies)

Professor Historian

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Being a dev is hard. It's a lot of work for not a lot of gains. It can really take a toll on your mental health. So I understand where Nef is coming from and I wish him good health.

I worked my ass off for 18 months on my game. It was basically a second job. All that work for barely 30 patrons and 150 $ a month. For the last update, I barely did anything else with my free time. Then it came out, and I kept reading "Only 400 renders?" Like all this was easy and I worked on it full time. I busted my ass on some scenes and ladies I was sure would get a mention, but nothing. Some people who played the game for free suddenly said the game sucked because the character they liked said something they thought she shouldn't have said. Not to mention answering the same inane questions each update or seeing the number of patrons go down two weeks after release, while seeing notorious milkers generate incredible income.

It's my own fault really, I had very high expectations. Like another poster said, I made a way too complex game, especially for my first one. I also thought that if I worked hard, engaged the community, and had a good concept, I could at least work part-time on the game soon enough. How wrong I was.

I understand that players don't want to invest in a game they don't know will be completed. I also understand developers who are tired of all the mostly unpaid work just to be rewarded with negativity and moaning from people who never gave us a cent. The AVN community became a snake that eats its own tail.

Now I'm making a much smaller game at my own pace. I focus on making the best game possible for an eventual Steam release. My patrons are duly warned that I make enough money with my real job to finish the game without any support and that they are doing it because they want to. I'm much happier for it.

Anyway, it's only my two cents. I truly hope this game will have an ending!

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
I agree it's too early to really consider it abandoned. That said IIRC Nef had personal issues>writer's block>non-canon episode>radio silence leading to abandoned tag. Which to me is a pattern that flashes the warning lights. (that we might not see Jennifer and Amanda applying cocoa butter to each other's preggo bellies)
Could be but I prefer to stay hopeful. At least until we hear something definite.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
and this why 3 month rule is garbage - fucking mandatory 2-4 pages of necrologue what always follows
What should it be then, and how would that difference in time make is so there's any less "necrologue"? If you can't post anything to Patreon for a quarter of a fucking year, why shouldn't you get a tag denoting that?

Drew Anderson

Dec 1, 2017
What should it be then, and how would that difference in time make is so there's any less "necrologue"? If you can't post anything to Patreon for a quarter of a fucking year, why shouldn't you get a tag denoting that?
Honestly? The tag should be something else. Like Inactive or something. A tag implying things have gone dark and may or may not be resumed as opposed to assuming they KNOW it'll never be resumed. Saying something is abandoned is like trying to prove a universal negative. A Dev could go silent for months and then suddenly update his game or he/she may never touch it again. The people of this site will never know.

Ciaran8023

Jun 4, 2018
Honestly? The tag should be something else. Like Inactive or something. A tag implying things have gone dark and may or may not be resumed as opposed to assuming they KNOW it'll never be resumed. Saying something is abandoned is like trying to prove a universal negative. A Dev could go silent for months and then suddenly update his game or he/she may never touch it again. The people of this site will never know.
Honestly, this is pretty spot on.
There have been a lot of times where I've checked on a game that had the abandoned tag, only to have it be updated a week later, while a different game with the same abandoned tag was last updated like 3 years ago.
It's hard to tell at a glance, maybe do something like <6 or 8 months inactivity should be tagged "Inactive" while >6 or 8 months is tagged as "Abandoned" if no other communication has been given.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
Nothing would change though, it'd mean the same thing then as it does now, just with a possibly more accurate name. People would still whine about everything else, which was what I was actually asking about.

Drew Anderson

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly, this is pretty spot on.
There have been a lot of times where I've checked on a game that had the abandoned tag, only to have it be updated a week later, while a different game with the same abandoned tag was last updated like 3 years ago.
It's hard to tell at a glance, maybe do something like <6 or 8 months inactivity should be tagged "Inactive" while >6 or 8 months is tagged as "Abandoned" if no other communication has been given.
I personally would get rid of abandoned altogether if it were my call. There is an implied finality in that tag and a LOT of people read that into it. Inactive allows the users to make up their own minds relative to how long the game has been inactive or if they have contact with the Dev by some other means.

There's just no way to ever know when/if a game has truly been abandoned short of the Dev saying "I'm done"

Drew Anderson

Dec 1, 2017
Nothing would change though, it'd mean the same thing then as it does now, just with a possibly more accurate name. People would still whine about everything else, which was what I was actually asking about.
I disagree. As I said a second ago. Abandoned has implications of finality. Inactive does not. People would read into it differently.

Would it keep them from being upset? Maybe not, but the implication of the tags is different.

Reactions: HornyyPussy
4.40 star(s) 188 Votes