Love Gene

Jan 26, 2019
Because people look at Patreon numbers for Icstor, DarkCookie and others and say to themselves "I can do that too".

Nearly every developer here is on Patreon but how many make more than 3k a month? I'd guess less than 10%.

That number would be under 5% if one were to include all the people who abandoned their games after a few months because they set up their Patreon before realizing they never wrote a line of code in their lives, have no experience in graphic design, haven't done any creative writing since high school, their hardware can't produce decent renders even if they knew how to, assets cost money and if they don't bring anything new/unique/superior to the table they will not gather any substantial number of supporters.
To make decent money from Patreon these days, you basically need to have money from start. A lot of money. I mean, you can buy high quality assets, hire some guys if you can't code, animate, model or write and even rent render farm to produce renders faster.

• Angry
Reactions: Canto Forte

dirtythiccboi

Aug 7, 2019
This forum needs to start a web-series.This is better than any Jerry Springer or Oprah shit out there with all of your theories, information on income, lazyness, personal issues of dev and so on. The last 700 pages have around 600 of useless shit and than some mod or other older users of this forum trying to calm things down. Last time I was here, waaaay back 70 pages ago....jeez

While I don't agree with the idea of closing down this thread temporarily, but if you think about it...:)
Locking a thread would do more harm than good. Worst case is they all go quiet and that stuff just builds up. Then when the thread unlocks it's like setting off 1000 nukes at once (or however many people visit this thread.) Best case is everyone flocks to other pages, or creates another thread for milfy city discussion and it continues there. The point and moral of the story is: dumpster fires can easily be contained. Keep it inside the bin.

Reactions: Jaun Karr

Q Who

Donor
May 16, 2017
Japan pays much, much lower on average than the Western game development industry, so FromSoftware is not a good example. However the only branches of game development likely to push a salary of around $120,000 a year is programming. I know some programmers in the industry who earn more than anyone else on the project outside of the project lead and programming lead.
There is a small YouTuber from Japan. One of his vids was about how little these guys make and how many hours they work. You had to feel bad for them.

• Angry

dudunin

Aug 20, 2018
Hey guys ! I see some posts mentioning a guy named Neighbour or smth like that. What is his game ? I hope his game can help me to wait for ICSTOR's next release. I highly doubt it'll come before november (yeah I know he said October but he did lie too much).

Baxonius

Nov 23, 2018
so just 600+ Renders for Caroline? over 1 years wait time. really hope its not that all. cross fingers for big update!

Q Who

Donor
May 16, 2017
Locking a thread would do more harm than good. Worst case is they all go quiet and that stuff just builds up. Then when the thread unlocks it's like setting off 1000 nukes at once (or however many people visit this thread.) Best case is everyone flocks to other pages, or creates another thread for milfy city discussion and it continues there. The point and moral of the story is: dumpster fires can easily be contained. Keep it inside the bin.
I don't think it would cause any harm but it would also serve no purpose to do so. No one is forced to come to this thread. If the thread bothers you so much you feel it should be locked. Why would you even be here then? Are people coming here to be offended? Are a lot of people pissing all over Icstor? Sure, but what harm is there in that? This is just a silly thread that does not involve RL(other than to joke about the horrible characters) for a little bit of fun. I really do not understand the supporters wanting this thread shut down. There is his Discord and Patreon chat as places to avoid becoming upset.

And I am no longer guessing when he will actually publish. I do not see his Patreon being affected for months if he continued a delay. Enough people find the game as new players to keep him going for some time. I keep saying to myself he is going to release it in the month and he keeps surprising me. I have a really bad feeling about this update for some reason. The last few renders released have been underwhelming.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
This is all beyond any point because we are not talking about a studio .. at least nothing like real studio types like leonizer, philligames, adeptus steve or even pink baker. These all have acknowledged that they do outsource some development activities but at no point was any mention of any presure of any kind on anybody outsourced. Maybe because most of our beloved devs on this site and many more, including this wonderful dev => they are the animators! They do the heavy lifting!
There is always blame taken upon themselves and all of them did say every time they crossed dead lines that their work in coding or rendering or debugging was the reason for the delay. What ever you spout about them, they are at the fore front of any outrage. They take the blame and if anything happens ... they take the fall. There is no issue about some studio culture and other bad practices.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
This is all beyond any point because we are not talking about a studio .. at least nothing like real studio types like leonizer, philligames, adeptus steve or even pink baker. These all have acknowledged that they do outsource some development activities but at no point was any mention of any presure of any kind on anybody outsourced. Maybe because most of our beloved devs on this site and many more, including this wonderful dev => they are the animators! They do the heavy lifting!
There is always blame taken upon themselves and all of them did say every time they crossed dead lines that their work in coding or rendering or debugging was the reason for the delay. What ever you spout about them, they are at the fore front of any outrage. They take the blame and if anything happens ... they take the fall. There is no issue about some studio culture and other bad practices.
Philly doesnt outsource anything. He has someone proofread and a co-writer to bounce things off of. He's an indie.

• Wow

boxedjack

Apr 23, 2017
Japan pays much, much lower on average than the Western game development industry, so FromSoftware is not a good example. However the only branches of game development likely to push a salary of around $120,000 a year is programming. I know some programmers in the industry who earn more than anyone else on the project outside of the project lead and programming lead.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. The post I quoted specifically said if you are a normal animator in Japan you'd likely make around 120k a year and I challenged that.

3.80 star(s) 415 Votes