Ghostly Hale

Jan 26, 2018
A question for anyone able to answer.

If we can get the dev to admit he has halted the game - is anyone here capable of picking it up and finishing it? I don't mind helping with the writing/editing part, seeing as I lack any other experience required.

The game is something of a gem, and as a poster earlier today said it, the dev has probably overestimated himself and is now suffering the stresses of an inefficient workflow. His post says it better and I have to agree, seeing as I've been a writer on games before, I can confirm this happens quite frequently in smaller dev teams.

Again, if the dev drops the game or puts it on indefinite hold, I wouldn't mind helping to pick it up. Now it's out there.
may as well start. this dev just greenlit this to be abandoned. just look at his track record

exirock

Game Developer
May 4, 2018
Ok for those who arent aware and asking themselves why is it taking so long, let me resume it, since last update he started to work on it until he post on Patreon either was #20 or #21 report, where he after so many people complaining "no communication" and other stuff on discord he wrote down on that post that he didnt lift a finger for 4 months so he didnt produce nothing during that time (imagine getting payed to produce a game and doesnt work for months and yet patreon thinks its alright), so it created another mass of complains and he ended up saying that he would rush the game cause he cant manage to do a big game (which milf city so far its a tiny game), so yea that is the story of the upcoming update, best developer in the industry of poon games for sure its a worthy of supporting.

BurnerGuy

Aug 27, 2018
It's paradoxical, really, because the same crowd will often crow that because a dev gets more money on Patreon then it should also lead to faster development times. Basically there's no monetary situation under which a dev is allowed to work slower :rolleyes:
It's not really paradoxical. Ideally, a dev having a large income from patreon should mean that they can devote more time to development and more money to better/faster equipment. That's the gripe people have with ICSTOR. He's making a SHIT TON of money, yet he's obviously doing no work to justify that income. He has no motivation to work, because that massive income flows regardless of what he does. That's why people hope for him to lose patrons, because they (probably rightly) assume that if enough people stop paying him, he'll have an incentive to work to get those patrons back.

I actually was a patron for a few months. I had no clue about his history until I read this thread, and I immediately stopped my support.

Reactions: Sarducar

Anarchizt

Apr 21, 2017
When he put it from 70% to 80% complete I think he just did that to hold on to patrons a bit longer. He hadn't actually done anything.

Reactions: Sarducar

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
Its just funny how people keep saying this should be abandoned.

A title gets the abandoned prefix when the Dev's last post over its respective site, which ofte means patreon, happened more than 3 months ago OR if the Dev made it clear that he or she gave up on the title.

Icstor's last post was made by May 22 and it was definitely NOT about giving up on this title. That was two months ago. The earliest convenience for the staff to actually consider giving it the prefix is still a month away. This isn't some haphazard decision. It has a simple, clear format. Has nothing to do with certain Devs questionable work ethics and/or real or imaginary mental hygiene issues. Some titles don't get it as early as 3 months because nobody alerts the staff by that time. It gets forgotten sooner than that by the community really.

Some other titles are given some leniency out of common sense. But this one is well within the time limit.

exirock

Game Developer
May 4, 2018
Its just funny how people keep saying this should be abandoned.

A title gets the abandoned prefix when the Dev's last post over its respective site, which ofte means patreon, happened more than 3 months ago OR if the Dev made it clear that he or she gave up on the title.

Icstor's last post was made by May 22 and it was definitely NOT about giving up on this title. That was two months ago. The earliest convenience for the staff to actually consider giving it the prefix is still a month away. This isn't some haphazard decision. It has a simple, clear format. Has nothing to do with certain Devs questionable work ethics and/or real or imaginary mental hygiene issues. Some titles don't get it as early as 3 months because nobody alerts the staff by that time. It gets forgotten sooner than that by the community really.

Some other titles are given some leniency out of common sense. But this one is well within the time limit.
Normally to get abandoned tag it needs to be around 5-6 months here on f95 if i remember well and only gets it if the dev doesnt show any proof of living (lack of communication), its true it shouldnt be getting abandoned tag atleast not yet.
Icstor mentioned that he was not giving up, but was rushing the game content cause he cant handle producing a game.
--

Lets be honest he only made 6-7 updates and he already kinda giving up, its pretty sad and shows how he is not ready to be a dev and he has money to invest he doesnt have a team cause he doesnt want cause he want the cash all for himself.
Like someone sayed on this thread if people would actually stop their patreon for a like 1-2 months u would see him start working and communicating more (making post like apologizing for taking so long, how sad he is losing money, etc), i wish people would do that not in a bad way but to only show if he is really commited to keep working, cause so far we only saw proof of a dev with no motivation to work, doesnt show any progress, 4 months without doing anything just relaxing and the new update status its really hard to believe its on 80% when he literaly sayed he didnt work for 4 months how the hell did the % go up.

Reactions: Mitchconner29

keepitrollin

Apr 17, 2019
Jesus Christ $16,000 per month? Okay fuck this asshole and fuck his game. Everybody that's subbed right now drop it. Bleed this asshole dry. There is absolutely no excuse for not having biweekly updates at a minimum when you're making $192,000 per year minimum.
You would be very incorrect about your numbers here...The average income he's been making for the last few years is ~$8 per patron. With 6741 patrons, that's $53,928 per month, or $647,136 per year (that he's still earning now). Now take into the account Patreon takes 5% of that, he's left with $614,779. Doing what exactly? ...well....it would seem, not a fu**ing thing (not this year at least). The dude deserves an applause for his scheme. Incredible to scam so many people who continue to support his BS on monthly basis.

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
You would be very incorrect about your numbers here...The average income he's been making for the last few years is ~$8 per patron. With 6741 patrons, that's $53,928 per month, or $647,136 per year (that he's still earning now). Now take into the account Patreon takes 5% of that, he's left with $614,779. Doing what exactly? ...well....it would seem, not a fu**ing thing (not this year at least). The dude deserves an applause for his scheme. Incredible to scam so many people who continue to support his BS on monthly basis.
Where do you get that 8 dollars average from?

I feel like the last posters figures are far closer to the truth.

Whatever the case, who knows what's going on. Maybe they are implementing features that were more complicated then previously anticipated. All I know is that his PR game is abysmal. If I were him with even 150k+ per year I would just outsource a ton of the workload if I am uninspired. His income is high enough that he doesn't have to put in a lot of effort himself. Just seems very strange to screw over such a great source of income. The guy is set for life and he could literally build a company in which he divests most of the design decisions to people who are more motivated.

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
Attention Medical Alert:

It has been reveled that the true cause for the continued degrading performance of ICSTOR Has been discovered. Being Diagnosed with a mental affliction known as (tortousa nervosa), Or better known as the turtle disease. This nervous disorder is brought on by anxiety due to stress. in this instance the over abundant monetary stimuli and thus causes the subject in extreme cases to shut down all communication, productive interaction, inability to address date and time correctly, and increased boredom. The remedy to this affliction is to remove said stimuli to allow the subject to return to societal norms. So having been given this diagnosis We must band together for ICSTOR's mental well being and help remove this impediment that has befallen this poor man. To allow him to become a productive citizen once again. Show your humanity for this lost soul and help take the steps needed to heal this man.

Again I reiterate ICSTOR will not be capable of reentering society as a fully functioning member unless the source of said Anxiety is addressed:
This repost has been a public service announcement

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Where do you get that 8 dollars average from?

I feel like the last posters figures are far closer to the truth.

Whatever the case, who knows what's going on. Maybe they are implementing features then were previously anticipated. All I know is that his PR game is abysmal. If I were him with even 150k+ per year I would just outsource a ton of the workload if I am uninspired. His income is high enough that he doesn't have to put in a lot of effort himself. Just seems very strange to screw over such a great source of income. The guy is set for life.
He did that already... he contracted a writer, a scripter and now even a graphic guy for renders and animations (or so he claims).
Yet he is still in control of shareing the workload and organize the project aswell as his own set of graphics and animations... but since he is dead set to not work on this game anymore, as it seems... production is more or less halted unless his contractors decide to work on the game without instructions hopeing ICStor will not fire them right away or accept their attempts to build this game

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
He did that already... he contracted a writer, a scripter and now even a graphic guy for renders and animations (or so he claims).
Yet he is still in control of shareing the workload and organize the project aswell as his own set of graphics and animations... but since he is dead set to not work on this game anymore, as it seems... production is more or less halted unless his contractors decide to work on the game without instructions hopeing ICStor will not fire them right away or accept their attempts to build this game
That's just ridiculous. I would do anything to make a third of his wage.

It's not like he's coding Cyberpunk 2077. It's literally some pre rendered animations, still images, and some point and click design elements. Yeah it can get complicated if you have choice tree's and some bugs can be super complicated to figure out. But it just sort of seems like to me that he doesn't have the constitution to be proactive about the process. If you are having issues figuring stuff out, tell the people who support you what's going on. It amazes me how many people have such issues communicating when that's often the only barrier there is. Hell, I'm sure he has supporters who would figure out the bugs for him.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
That's just ridiculous. I would do anything to make a third of his wage.

It's not like he's coding Cyberpunk 2077. It's literally some pre rendered animations, still images, and some point and click design elements. Yeah it can get complicated if you have choice tree's and some bugs can be super complicated to figure out. But it just sort of seems like to me that he doesn't have the constitution to be proactive about the process. If you are having issues figuring stuff out, tell the people who support you what's going on. It amazes me how many people have such issues communicating when that's often the only barrier there is. Hell, I'm sure he has supporters who would figure out the bugs for him.
There are... for 0.6 he released the game from 0.6 to 0.6e which used his Patrons as beta testers.
However in order to test something you first need to build it... and that's the problem with ICStor... he is not working on the game as he claims (i.e. he claims to consider this his fulltime job). He never gets things done and has an infinte money stream...
The best way would have been to sell the rights of makeing Milfy City to a different dev or team and take the money he gets to turn to his new project... but ICStor concluded he'd get more money from bleeding the project dry rather than that

Reactions: Pagliano

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
There are... for 0.6 he released the game from 0.6 to 0.6e which used his Patrons as beta testers.
However in order to test something you first need to build it... and that's the problem with ICStor... he is not working on the game as he claims (i.e. he claims to consider this his fulltime job). He never gets things done and has an infinte money stream...
The best way would have been to sell the rights of makeing Milfy City to a different dev or team and take the money he gets to turn to his new project... but ICStor concluded he'd get more money from bleeding the project dry rather than that
I would feel so uncomfortable scamming people like this, legal or not. Literally thousands of people you don't know. Just knowing that there are crazy's out there potentially working up a rage directed at me would be enough for me to do something. Even if that means just giving it up.

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
Well i would agree that we shouldn't make vague assumptions, but it is true that there is most definitely an inconsistency in term of deadlines and issues with the development of the game.

Now of course, things happens and we must use diligence and understanding in our judgement but this had gone on for more than a year now.

And since the game is already gone quite far in development, it will be almost impossible for a new dev to pick up since it would need an overhaul of how the game work and is made. Because hand keying thousands upon thousands of seperate renders (Like how this game was made) is a very time consuming process and isn't a realistic method to make a game such as this in the long term. So you would quite literally need to remake the game in its entirety and you can't just make new images from a new dev with the old ones. You would need to replicate the exact parameters in term of lights, shadows, render settings and post-process effects because otherwise there will be a very clear distinction between the images.

Anyway, i hope things sort out and maybe we will get the chance of seeing this game finished. But i wouldn't hold my breath.

D-Two

Apr 12, 2018
Yeah it can get complicated if you have choice tree's and some bugs can be super complicated to figure out.
But then again, people have been doing that since the 80's. Just to put things in a bit of perspective, Monkey Island came out in 1990 and had a total budget of $200,000. In today's value that's just shy of $400,000. Assuming ICstor makes around $20,000 a month and has been working on this game for more than two years, the total income is in the same ball park.

Personally, I'm mainly curious about if it was luck or skill that put him in the position he is now. He produced high quality renders when the competition was minimal and has kept the patreons despite others surpassing him in quality. Did he see a market opportunity where he was early, or was it just luck that people wanted to pay big money for the things he was doing?

D-Two

Apr 12, 2018
I would feel so uncomfortable scamming people like this, legal or not. Literally thousands of people you don't know. Just knowing that there are crazy's out there potentially working up a rage directed at me would be enough for me to do something. Even if that means just giving it up.
I would also feel bad if I promised a bunch of things and repeatedly failed to deliver, but I hardly think any of his patreons are particularily angry. If someone is unhappy with what he delivers then it's just a matter of cancelling the support. Being discontent with what the creator delivers or doesn't deliver and still paying every month is just dumb.

3.80 star(s) 415 Votes