Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Guys, ICSTOR cant be sued for not delivering the update. Patreon is basically a platform for giving a tips to creators whos content you like. You don't buy anything, and they are not legally obliged to deliver anything. Same goes for SS (he is not banned there either, it's enough for him just to log in, and he will recieve money kept, and his page will again be searchable).

burstlimit

Oct 15, 2018
The programmer replied in the discord.

"my to-do list is finally getting shorter"

Just forget about it within the next month. Earliest october. Earliest.
So.... he won't deliver on his own deadline again. Which he gave himself. You can't make that shit up.

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
:FacePalm: Ffs, I'm not suggesting that people band together and file a suit. It would probably cost more than what most users here have actually paid him over the years, I doubt the most of the people who are affected are even around or even interested in trying to gamble a court case to get their money back at this point. But people can stop paying him and file a class action. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Again, it's not like I even think it's a good idea, I just answered a question that, technically, they could be on the hook if they never release a finished game.
nah
This is probably one of the very few cases where the Patreon ToS actually protects them, I dont really think there is much of a case

JiminyC

Sep 17, 2022
And yet it has been a long time since this game has been surpassed by masterpieces in animation, story and characters.
There are definitely games that look better, have better story and have better animation, but there's something about the visual style of Milfy City that really appeals to people. I've not seen a game with a better milf than Linda. I gave up waiting long ago and learned Stable Diffusion instead.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
You can file for a civil lawsuit. However you will need to file it in the country the defendant resides. Can't remember, for the life of me, where ICSTOR lives currently. Patreon don't need to be directly involved. The case would be the people vs ICSTOR. Patreon is just a sort of... mediator. A middle man. iirc their own rules, and regulations, and ToS make it so they can't be sued for the acts of the creators they host unless it is top tier bad.

It's a long, messy, process and will cost lots of money and you aren't guaranteed a victory. And even if you were who would get the rewards? Remember it would only be a civil case, not criminal. So there would be no prison time. Plus, it all comes down to the local laws of the country he resides.Trying to sue people over the internet is... well... Not advisable. Sadly, because ICSTOR does need a harsh kick p the rear.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
The case would not even make it to court.
"As a patron, you’re supporting a creator and may receive special benefits like shoutouts, exclusive creations, or merchandise. You pay on a one-time or automatically-renewing subscription basis as specified; Patreon is the billing entity that is associated with this charge."

You are not making a purchase, and nowhere does it mention any length as far software use license duration either.
There's no mention of completing a project either.
Meaning, you pay to support X, and MAY gain some stuff from it.

You'd only end up loosing money on legal fees.
Since as long as you've subscribed, you had access to discord, and to the game in its current form, you haven't got a leg to stand on, as there was no contract between you or the devs stating a full product will ever be released, nor when it will be released.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
, although written contracts are generally the most concrete examples, a user accepting a Patreon page's rewards in exchange for funding, can, and has constituted a contract under court cases in the past, . It would basically be at the discretion of a judge (if there ever was a case) to determine if the offering of rewards or perks in exchange for funding meets the standard of being considered a contract, then the case goes forward from there.
Keep in mind that the examples you posted relate to Kickstarter/IndieGoGo projects which have included concrete rewards for individual pledges. Like if you pay $100 for a project that includes a plushie and a completed book you have to either deliver the items or refund the customer. If we use those examples as a framework the only binding items on ICSTOR's Patreon page would be his reward tiers, which include access to Discord, polls, and game updates but make no promises as to update frequency or even a projected completion date.

So yeah, if you pay him and he doesn't give you access to the Discord or the latest update you can sue him, but otherwise the court would toss the suit during the preliminary phase. Patreon payments constitute a pledge towards the creator and do not entitle you to any sort of investor protections or anything outside what's laid out in the reward tiers.

Also, even if you push it and sue him anyways there's probably no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. As noted in your first link setting up an LLC to provide a liability shield is both easy and recommended, and since he's ostensibly paying contractors a good way to keep money from the taxman. Absent penetrating the corporate veil (good goddamn luck) all you'll find in ICSTOR, LLC is gonna be a bank account with a few hundred bucks in it.

3.80 star(s) 413 Votes