4.00 star(s) 5 Votes

Golem98

Feb 23, 2018
Don't listen to the haters OP, the art looks alright because the art is unique (I can't think of ANY games that look like this), I don't see why people should be complaining about the appearance of the game when you're still early on in the game, I'm sure the art style will improve over time as you work on it and develop your skills with it. It will eventually become something that most people can appreciate, the people that are complaining here are simply trying to smother a new style in the crib before it can develop.

Mr. M 11

Jun 21, 2019
Don't listen to the haters OP, the art looks alright because the art is unique (I can't think of ANY games that look like this), I don't see why people should be complaining about the appearance of the game when you're still early on in the game, I'm sure the art style will improve over time as you work on it and develop your skills with it. It will eventually become something that most people can appreciate, the people that are complaining here are simply trying to smother a new style in the crib before it can develop.
I see you're interested in this game Kermit, could it be that it's because it has girls that look like Miss Piggy?

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
It's not filter, the dev using filament rendering in Daz Studio.
And to be honest, while filament render is horrible, the dev also don't know how to use properly, like increasing texture quality...
Filament? This??? Are you 100% sure?
Cuz if I do filament renders, I get something completely different and almost game ready.

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
Yeah, not wasting my bandwidth on art that looks like that, much less with models that look like cows in human skin suits. Unique doesn't automatically equal good. 'Unique' in this case, prompted an automatic twitch response for the ignore button with a grimace of revulsion on my face.

Reactions: InnocentKiss5

Walka

Jul 18, 2017
Interesting premise, only confusing thing is it says 0.0.5 but the download is 0.0.1, what's up with that?

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
~2 GB it's .kra files, Don't understand for what this files in this game. More info
kra is likely krita files like psd files for photoshop I'm sure its not the first time you compressors have bumped into dev side source files and the like though maybe the first time theres been 2gb of them?

Reactions: kekpuker

Andy123321

Jul 23, 2021
So am i supposed to be stuck on the farm and the bakery? I've tried everything, clicked everywhere, talked to everyone, traveled everywhere i can go.. I don't get it. Could you upload a walkthrough?

Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
Filament? This??? Are you 100% sure?
Cuz if I do filament renders, I get something completely different and almost game ready.
The models are made in character creator 3 and then imported into unreal engine, then given a cel shading post process to give it the cartoon filter, same method as breath of the wild that sort of thing

• Wow
Reactions: lnppo and aze123451

Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
So am i supposed to be stuck on the farm and the bakery? I've tried everything, clicked everywhere, talked to everyone, traveled everywhere i can go.. I don't get it. Could you upload a walkthrough?
That's all there is so far, it's only an alpha build I haven't got all the locations set so far, it's just to show how big the world will be as it goes on

Reactions: aze123451 and Walka

Golem98

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, not wasting my bandwidth on art that looks like that, much less with models that look like cows in human skin suits. Unique doesn't automatically equal good. 'Unique' in this case, prompted an automatic twitch response for the ignore button with a grimace of revulsion on my face.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it looks good either haha, what I like is new art styles and I see Goblincore pioneering a new style that I've never seen before. I personally appreciate it when devs make the effort to use a style that I don't see often (and especially so when I haven't seen it before). I will often follow games exclusively to observe the art style progress as the game updates, I've even watched plenty of games that I have no interest in besides the art style. I also remember watching the progress of "Bone's Tales: The Manor" by the dev OseoBones, partially because of his art style, his style from before to after improved significantly and this much is undeniable. Should Goblincore achieve the same level of improvement, I highly doubt many people would complain about his art style, he simply needs to have the time to achieve it. Differing art styles provide a certain level of variety that would otherwise make too many games vaguely similar enough to reduce their individualism and therefore their value.

For example, there are tons of those Renpy games that use those 3D models from whatever program, have a bunch of basic tags like "Milf" and "Incest" and whatever else (you know what I'm talking about because of how common these games are). Games like that pop up left and right by the dozen and they quite often end up abandoned later on, most of those games look nearly identical with each other with only hair styles, outfits and body proportions being the primary driving factor that differentiate the characters between all of those games, effectively the constant uniformity of the art style of those games blurs them all together more or less.

Another example would be the games that employ Scarlett Ann as the artist, she has a distinct art style and she quite often makes games with the same primary tags, shota, incest & milf. Three of of these games have a Zombie theme, the MC has a primary base/house where he, his mother and his sister live together. It also just so happens that his aunt lives within walking distance of the MC's base/house (in all three games haha), and he also just so happens to be very well endowed despite being a manlet, who's like 6-12 inches shorter than the women he's involved with.

These games are; A Zombie's Life and Zombie's Retreat 1 & 2, they are all quite similar, and they all have nearly 100% identical gameplay. This blatantly obvious pattern really pushes forward the blurring that I mentioned earlier, three separate games carry a very similar feel and they lose part of their individuality and can easily be lumped together as extensions of each other. There is also another game by Scarlett Ann called "Prince of Suburbia" (If I remember correctly), the mother character in that game looks quite similar to the mother in Zombie's Retreat 2, there are also other examples of characters between Scarlett Ann games looking quite similar.

(As a side note, you may observe the improvement in Scarlett Ann's artwork between those games as a good example of what I mean when I support the dev's art, A Zombie's Life is much older than Zombie's Retreat and the improvement is significant)

If you look into the Zombie's Retreat games, you'll see that they actually employ another artist to draw out "pictures" which are collectible items that may be found throughout the game, though the artist is drawing the same characters as Scarlett Ann, their two art styles are so incredibly different that the characters are almost unrecognizable.

For example, Summertime Saga has a very unique art style, and fans of the game would easily recognize it if another game used the same style, largely due to the popularity of the game. There are also some game's with styles that make them quite unique to other games, and if executed properly really make those game stand out, such as Dandy Boy Adventures. There are also many games that even provide the option of using different art styles, such as the Queen Opala series and the aforementioned Zombie's Retreat games which make use of different art styles to a lesser degree.

4.00 star(s) 5 Votes