don2sail

Jun 3, 2017
developer tried to eliminate the grind? are you kidding? I found nothing but grind. One girl, one conversation. go pick mushroom, fight raccoon - anything bigger and you are sent home empty handed, fix bridge. That's as far as I could get after several dozen tries and several hours wasted. Obviously I'm missing something. hint said fake leaving. cant find an option for that and gave up in disgust. Tempted to give a bad review but won't since other people have figured it out.

SilverOwl

Jan 11, 2018
developer tried to eliminate the grind? are you kidding? I found nothing but grind. One girl, one conversation. go pick mushroom, fight raccoon - anything bigger and you are sent home empty handed, fix bridge. That's as far as I could get after several dozen tries and several hours wasted. Obviously I'm missing something. hint said fake leaving. cant find an option for that and gave up in disgust. Tempted to give a bad review but won't since other people have figured it out.
Go into the kitchen to fake leaving. There will be an icon you can hit to hide and progress.

Honestly, there isn't much grind in this. What there is, is a need to look around at times. If you ever find yourself unsure of what to do, check the journal, or just bounce between each room in the house real quick to look for anything new.

Reactions: Hajtand

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
Go into the kitchen to fake leaving. There will be an icon you can hit to hide and progress.

Honestly, there isn't much grind in this. What there is, is a need to look around at times. If you ever find yourself unsure of what to do, check the journal, or just bounce between each room in the house real quick to look for anything new.
I agree and it can also be removed by one of the very first options in the game... some of these comments man.

1590266971938.png

For these people complaining what do you want? Can there be no gameplay at all? You don't read the text and you can't be bothered clicking the mouse a few times. It's in the games section, not the video section.
To the developer, you should not worry about putting any gameplay into your game from reading any of those comments. Personally I'd like even more resource management. How about a sanity meter or something? How about different stuff to cook that give various combat buffs for the rest of the day? Add a splitting perk/trait system (with access to respec'ing for the worry warts) to accomendate different play styles on top if you want. As long as you make it fun, I'm sure a lot of people would like it too.

I might have been a little too harsh. I just try and also see if from the developer's perspective.
We are finally once in a blue moon getting a game, that's not the copy pasted default models daz studio hold ctrl incest VN. It has character and heart, it shouldn't be forced to head to bland vile. I know about the insinuations regarding the MC's "sister" and "mother" possibly making it into the game. There's just so much more to this game.

Want to know about grind? Start from scratch in Foot of the Mountains with no walkthrough and no cheats and you will see how spoiled we are here.

Last edited:

Deadpool76

Dec 29, 2017
I figured it out today, the only way to pass time is with the survival guide that you have to read, if you make a mistake and read the guide twice it will skip one of the nights that you have to listen to Mia and lock you into the daytime.
Thanks!

I used unren and changed "survivalguide = 3" to "survivalguide = 2"
Then I was able to reread part 3 and skipped to night for part 3

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
FWIW I didn't think the grind was a problem in this game and I never used a walkthrough. In fact I appreciated that for the most part the game told you what you needed to do next and there were only a couple of "click all locations looking for a glowie" puzzles. Early on the mushroom gathering minigame can be kind of a drag if the RNG decides to dick you over a couple of days in a row, but once you unlock the fishing hole the food problem is basically solved, and then the game throws a bunch more food on you later.

don2sail

Jun 3, 2017
i noticed complaints above about the axe, i got stuck there for a while too until I realized i already had the axe and was using it in my battles.
thanks for the hint above about the kitchen. I will admit i was so frustrated I gave up too early. Guess I'm still there because it took me less than 2 min before i got stuck again. cant get to the fishing dock with any energy so im sent home without even looking around. To say nothing of no fishing pole and no bait

Sbender99

Mar 28, 2019
Can anyone help me out as I'm stuck. I'm at the part where I have to go explore further and find the pier but I can't ever make it that far without my energy running out. I'm at 140 energy with no way to increase further, and it takes 60 to get to the crossroad, 60 to beat the boar which lets me move twice after and I can cross the bridge and go one further then it sends me home. Robin is avoiding me and I've already gathered nails, planks, shovel head, broken broomstick and built the plank bridge. So I literally have nothing I can do. I've tried every part of the map day and night.
Same....

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Never had an issue with food after unlocking the wheat. I do one day mushrooms, one day fishing, one free day, one day to harvest and plant wheat which doesn't take up any time and I've never run out of food. IIRC, I've got a store of about 30 or so food. And it's completed without a hitch. It's the kind where if you MISS one sentence, you'll be lost. So be careful when reading and don't move too fast. The trick to surviving is trading off some HP for Stamina. If you use heavy attacks, it drains your stamina faster which also limits how far you can go. For instance, I'll collect mushrooms or fish and simply fight with low power attacks and get there with some HP left but as long as I stay in the fishing hole, I won't be attacked. However, in the mushroom area, you do attract attacks. So I'll have to fight 2 raccoons while collecting about 2-3 days of mushrooms in one outing. But once you add the garden, you can take zero time and add literally free food. So it's not as bad as you think it is.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
i noticed complaints above about the axe, i got stuck there for a while too until I realized i already had the axe and was using it in my battles.
thanks for the hint above about the kitchen. I will admit i was so frustrated I gave up too early. Guess I'm still there because it took me less than 2 min before i got stuck again. cant get to the fishing dock with any energy so im sent home without even looking around. To say nothing of no fishing pole and no bait
How can you not get to the fishing dock with any energy? Do you only use strong attacks and do you completely ignore the rifle? Weak attacks are free and the rifle can 1–shot raccoons and almost kill a bore. You only get a single bullet per exploration, but it's very effective.

Last edited:

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
I like that the monsters are a threat and not simply cannon fodder, it creates a form of tension, and makes them scary. You can't fight too many of them (you don't need to either) and you have to prioritize between survivability and stamina. It's good game design.

I also have to give kudos for all the custom assets you are making. Must have taken a long time, but it really does make the world more interesting.

don2sail

Jun 3, 2017
simple never found any ammo for the rifle, don't recall anything about unlocking the rifle

Last edited:

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
You do have to equip the rifle to use it however.

I assume it's some black powder thing and your character doesn't have the confidence to repack it out in the woods where murder raccoons can pop out of the trees at any time. Not that it stops him from taking a break and fishing though...

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
You do have to equip the rifle to use it however.

I assume it's some black powder thing and your character doesn't have the confidence to repack it out in the woods where murder raccoons can pop out of the trees at any time. Not that it stops him from taking a break and fishing though...
I'd break the game if we had more ammo, so it's probably a design decision. From a lore perspective we can say the MC imagines the dingling sounds of bullets, would create more of a danger than they'd prevent. Reloading the rifle in combat would probably also be too dangerous. I know it's not the best explanation. We can also say that the MC only has the energy to imbue his power to a bullet once a day and keep it there. Doing it to more than one bullet would put too much of a strain on him... something he knows and does subconsciously. Once the bullet has hit it's mark, he doesn't need to maintain the energy in the bullet and it's "released". Meaning he can imbue another bullet the next day after recovering from the strain.

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
Oh no, I might make some jangly sounds when I reload the gun...after the gigantic fucking boom of firing it.

The rifle could be balanced differently if balance is the concern. Like firing it increases the rate at which monsters spawn for the rest of the trip, and each time you fire it the effect is cumulative. Or if you used the rifle the danger gauge starts at 50% after the battle.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
Oh no, I might make some jangly sounds when I reload the gun...after the gigantic fucking boom of firing it.

The rifle could be balanced differently if balance is the concern. Like firing it increases the rate at which monsters spawn for the rest of the trip, and each time you fire it the effect is cumulative. Or if you used the rifle the danger gauge starts at 50% after the battle.
Well, it probably makes a lot more sound in our pockets before firing the bullet... again, I said it was not the best explanation. The rifle almost one-shots the Boar and it 1-shots the raccoon without any stamina loss. I think it's fine, we have it as an "oh shit" button. Turning it into call of duty would remove any sense of danger and tension. If we kill them in droves and we are so much less limited in the usage of the rifle. The enemies would turn into a complete bore and annoyance instead of a threat.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018

no big boom it's an airgun they are not loud, but they also don't make much damage

SilverOwl

Jan 11, 2018
The rifle is an air-rifle. It takes time to pump them, and it probably needs a tool back at the house. So, you get one shot on every outing.

For fishing, us the rifle on whatever attacks you, and finish it off with standard attacks, not heavy. You'll have plenty of stamina left to fish.

After a certain point it will tell you to hide and surprise Robin. Go to the kitchen and select the hide option. After that, you'll have the idea to get fish to lure her out. Go to the pier, catch fish, go to your room, get the cookbook, go to the kitchen, follow the directions in the book and make the fish.

Seriously, the log and dialogue are pretty clear about what you need to do. If you somehow get lost, just check the glowy things around the houses rooms.

Just make sure to equip your weapons as you get them, otherwise you can't use them.

Another tip, anytime you need to make something, you seem to do it in the kitchen at the table. That's where you repair the axe, make the spear, and so forth.

4.60 star(s) 693 Votes