narutomater

May 2, 2020
I think the reason it stuck out to me so much is because most of the time this IS a by-the-numbers fantasy hentai game, although this probably sounds harsher than intended. You start with an elf girl in your bed offering herself to you and soon enough you're told you need to fuck as many different girls as possible with no qualifications other than that you're basically the chosen one and a male. Nearly every encounter is a girl dripping with excitement at the mere thought of you, some even willing to devote their entire lives to you after knowing you all of 10 minutes. Complete a contract, maybe talk to them once or twice, and sexy times occur. Nothing quite so serious about that. Clearly you intend to have meaningful plot and serious subject matter, so why not have that all throughout the game, instead of certain jarring scenes? It's less like me complaining a horror game is too scary and more like me complaining that a game I was playing shocked me with horror. From what I remember virtually nothing in game (up until it's in your face) indicates anything truly serious. I mean seriously, one of the contracts involves enchanting the MC's dick so he can fuck a powerful monster to sleep, and not only is this plan completely rational, but the monster in question is in fact desperate for a mate because they failed to start a male harem. If you wanted a serious game, why not make it serious? There's no blood or wounds even in dire combat. Ray is thrashed several times and the most I've seen have been torn clothes and maybe a few scratches, dsspite being described as beaten, bloody, and near dead. I agree wholeheartedly that these scenes are impactful, but they stick out sorely. Beyond simply their placement in the story rather than plot relevance, what use was the first scene? Just to make me feel bad so I can feel better later? You seem to have ignored when I said that it's hardly the worst thing I've seen, but I'll reiterate that it's true. It's not the level of violence or the implication of harm that discomforted me, it's that these scenes feel out of place in an otherwise carefree world. To my knowledge, no one even dies before the first scene (besides an exception that clearly doesn't apply). All that being said, my score is probably closer to a 4/5 than a 3/5, but to be perfectly honest it really won't affect you. I never intended to be mean, but clearly you took offense anyways, so I don't feel reserved in saying that you won't sink under the weight of one middling review. I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of the population would commit real murder to the tune of $11k a month. Oh well. I still enjoy the writing and will likely continue to enjoy it in the future.
if you dont like the game then dont play it no ones stopping you me and alot of other people love TwistedScrlett60s Game we dont have any problems with it but when a Critic comes along and trys to make the Devloper feel bad it makes me pissed off and alot of other people pissed and upset to cause we love his work so try to learn more respect if you dont like it dont play it AND FYI the point of the whole story is to breed with 1,000 monster girls so he has to fuck as many as he can and plus monster girls and demon girls are always Lewd and horny in any game with them in it i played alot of Visual novels with monster girls and demon girls and there always horny even when they first meet the guy so idk why your complaining there fucking right away

Last edited:

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
I think the reason it stuck out to me so much is because most of the time this IS a by-the-numbers fantasy hentai game, although this probably sounds harsher than intended. You start with an elf girl in your bed offering herself to you and soon enough you're told you need to fuck as many different girls as possible with no qualifications other than that you're basically the chosen one and a male. Nearly every encounter is a girl dripping with excitement at the mere thought of you, some even willing to devote their entire lives to you after knowing you all of 10 minutes. Complete a contract, maybe talk to them once or twice, and sexy times occur. Nothing quite so serious about that. Clearly you intend to have meaningful plot and serious subject matter, so why not have that all throughout the game, instead of certain jarring scenes? It's less like me complaining a horror game is too scary and more like me complaining that a game I was playing shocked me with horror. From what I remember virtually nothing in game (up until it's in your face) indicates anything truly serious. I mean seriously, one of the contracts involves enchanting the MC's dick so he can fuck a powerful monster to sleep, and not only is this plan completely rational, but the monster in question is in fact desperate for a mate because they failed to start a male harem. If you wanted a serious game, why not make it serious? There's no blood or wounds even in dire combat. Ray is thrashed several times and the most I've seen have been torn clothes and maybe a few scratches, dsspite being described as beaten, bloody, and near dead. I agree wholeheartedly that these scenes are impactful, but they stick out sorely. Beyond simply their placement in the story rather than plot relevance, what use was the first scene? Just to make me feel bad so I can feel better later? You seem to have ignored when I said that it's hardly the worst thing I've seen, but I'll reiterate that it's true. It's not the level of violence or the implication of harm that discomforted me, it's that these scenes feel out of place in an otherwise carefree world. To my knowledge, no one even dies before the first scene (besides an exception that clearly doesn't apply). All that being said, my score is probably closer to a 4/5 than a 3/5, but to be perfectly honest it really won't affect you. I never intended to be mean, but clearly you took offense anyways, so I don't feel reserved in saying that you won't sink under the weight of one middling review. I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of the population would commit real murder to the tune of $11k a month. Oh well. I still enjoy the writing and will likely continue to enjoy it in the future.
"Clearly you intend to have meaningful plot and serious subject matter, so why not have that all throughout the game."
"From what I remember virtually nothing in game (up until it's in your face) indicates anything truly serious."
"these scenes feel out of place in an otherwise carefree world."

Did the allegories to racism, trauma, loss of loved ones, and tragic backstories in the first three areas not even hint to you that the game takes itself seriously in the midst of the fun? This is all here from the very first contract, and these themes are recurring through a lot of the early story contracts.
It sounds like your eyes glazed over a lot of moments involving characters you didn't care for but were hyperfocused on certain specific moments as being out of place because they involved characters you felt a deeper connection to. In reality, those scenes fit in just as much as the others.
Just walking through the start of the game we have Mimi, a tragic character defined by her trauma and inability to connect with others — an introduction to the inequality and real problems of the new world you'll be travelling through.
Later we have Davy and Isadora, hot off an awful losing battle in which their entire crew died. It's a story of revenge, and a trauma that continued into her optional Mistral Village quest.
Misty Woods repeats this; it's almost cliché how every single character there has yet another tragic backstory. It's a town of outcasts who, despite appearing to be abandoned by the rest of the world, have found a place to be together and loved.
The early scene with Quistis shows that blood, death, and dire circumstances are certainly not off the table.
I don't think most players get to this point and don't expect the ride ahead to be wild and have bumps. Frankly, it'd be boring if it didn't.
The feelings you have in regards to the scenes you complained about were my exact intention, and based on the escalation of conflict and stakes, I don't think either the headshot scene or the Eris threat scene were out of place. And I'm just gonna say it; by the time the final episode comes out, shit's going to get even more wild, and I'm really excited for it.

"I never intended to be mean, but clearly you took offense anyways,"
I'm not offended, but I am frustrated at a pattern I've seen emerge on this website. I often browse reviews for the games here, highly rated or lowly rated. I've seen a growing amount of people leave reviews bashing intentional and sometimes even high quality aspects just because it didn't fit the norm, or it wasn't as accessible.
You're entitled to your own opinion, and I love critique; it's one of the core reasons I've been able to make games people like, but sometimes there are dangerous critiques that developers and even players probably shouldn't listen to. I genuinely believe that if I were to smooth out the edges and make my game more safe and accessible to suit your sensibilities, it'd be a much weaker experience with less of an identity. Perhaps you can agree with that much.

"my score is probably closer to a 4/5 than a 3/5, but to be perfectly honest it really won't affect you."
That affects me and every player that looks up this game. They'll open the reviews and their first impression will be a 3/5 for up to a month. Not only that, but my game was knocked down on the F95zone ranks by several places, firmly sitting at a 4.6 now. I'll be honest, that sucks and makes me feel like shit after spending two years working as hard, carefully listening to feedback and polishing my game, only for someone to say: "That scene was a bit too violent, 3/5". I wouldn't mind if it were something objective and fixable, but it's such a subjective take that what it really comes down to is that if you really feel so strongly about it the game might not be for you. But at the same time, you've said you love the game and think it's more of a 4/5, so it's harder for me to understand your angle.

Apr 2, 2022
"Clearly you intend to have meaningful plot and serious subject matter, so why not have that all throughout the game."
"From what I remember virtually nothing in game (up until it's in your face) indicates anything truly serious."
"these scenes feel out of place in an otherwise carefree world."

Did the allegories to racism, trauma, loss of loved ones, and tragic backstories in the first three areas not even hint to you that the game takes itself seriously in the midst of the fun? This is all here from the very first contract, and these themes are recurring through a lot of the early story contracts.
It sounds like your eyes glazed over a lot of moments involving characters you didn't care for but were hyperfocused on certain specific moments as being out of place because they involved characters you felt a deeper connection to. In reality, those scenes fit in just as much as the others.
Just walking through the start of the game we have Mimi, a tragic character defined by her trauma and inability to connect with others — an introduction to the inequality and real problems of the new world you'll be travelling through.
Later we have Davy and Isadora, hot off an awful losing battle in which their entire crew died. It's a story of revenge, and a trauma that continued into her optional Mistral Village quest.
Misty Woods repeats this; it's almost cliché how every single character there has yet another tragic backstory. It's a town of outcasts who, despite appearing to be abandoned by the rest of the world, have found a place to be together and loved.
The early scene with Quistis shows that blood, death, and dire circumstances are certainly not off the table.
I don't think most players get to this point and don't expect the ride ahead to be wild and have bumps. Frankly, it'd be boring if it didn't.
The feelings you have in regards to the scenes you complained about were my exact intention, and based on the escalation of conflict and stakes, I don't think either the headshot scene or the Eris threat scene were out of place. And I'm just gonna say it; by the time the final episode comes out, shit's going to get even more wild, and I'm really excited for it.

"I never intended to be mean, but clearly you took offense anyways,"
I'm not offended, but I am frustrated at a pattern I've seen emerge on this website. I often browse reviews for the games here, highly rated or lowly rated. I've seen a growing amount of people leave reviews bashing intentional and sometimes even high quality aspects just because it didn't fit the norm, or it wasn't as accessible.
You're entitled to your own opinion, and I love critique; it's one of the core reasons I've been able to make games people like, but sometimes there are dangerous critiques that developers and even players probably shouldn't listen to. I genuinely believe that if I were to smooth out the edges and make my game more safe and accessible to suit your sensibilities, it'd be a much weaker experience with less of an identity. Perhaps you can agree with that much.

"my score is probably closer to a 4/5 than a 3/5, but to be perfectly honest it really won't affect you."
That affects me and every player that looks up this game. They'll open the reviews and their first impression will be a 3/5 for up to a month. Not only that, but my game was knocked down on the F95zone ranks by several places, firmly sitting at a 4.6 now. I'll be honest, that sucks and makes me feel like shit after spending two years working as hard, carefully listening to feedback and polishing my game, only for someone to say: "That scene was a bit too violent, 3/5". I wouldn't mind if it were something objective and fixable, but it's such a subjective take that what it really comes down to is that if you really feel so strongly about it the game might not be for you. But at the same time, you've said you love the game and think it's more of a 4/5, so it's harder for me to understand your angle.
No, as a matter of fact, the allegories to racism and traumatic backstories didn't hint to me that the game wanted to be taken seriously. They're dealt with so handily they hardly seem like problems at all. A scenario where Ray dealt with some form of racism, despite being a serious matter that clearly affects the characters, is not the same as watching someone get their head blown off. If these are serious issues, they should be seriously explored beyond therpaeutic talks and buying Davy a bar so she isn't bored. Is Mimi's backstory sad? Yes. Is it an issue in real life people can relate to? Yes. Is it quite as serious as seeing someone get killed suddenly? I might have to say no. My "angle" is exactly as I said: these scenes seem out of place. Seeing a Chinese factory worker get degloved caused me less discomfort. The level of violence is clearly not the issue. The Eris threat wasn't even visually violent unless you chose the early ending. I simply want the game to focus on either being serious or being silly, because to me sprinkling in tragedy offscreen doesn't prime me for shocking events. Many games have these exact themes while still being more violent and less discomforting. When I see a mangled corpse in Darktide, I don't gasp in surprise because I expect this event: I'm a suicidal soldier killing as much as possible seemingly to no end, and violence is often the goal. Beating up fantasy monsters that sink into the ground when "killed" and having no consequences for failure or even the option to truly fail gives me the exact opposite expectations. If your intentions were solely to subvert my expectations and take me out of my comfort zone by jumping from 0 to 100, then I guess you succeeded.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
wickedlyevil

The threat of reviews like this is why I pussied out and rewrote all of Little Shroom City to not kill certain characters off, even though it could have become one of the most impactful and memorable sequences in the entire game. You are actively hurting the creativity of developers with these timid reviews. This is a serious fantasy story; of course the villains of the story are going to do villainous things that are supposed to make you uncomfortable. The very existence of your discomfort indicates the success of my writing and intentions to engage with your emotions. I bring you down so I can bring you back up, and the view from the top always looks so much better when you have that strong contrast and feeling of success. The juxtaposition is intentional and is a powerful narrative tool that makes the wholesome moments so much sweeter.

Reviews like this, expressing discomfort at the idea of feeling any emotion other than happiness and horniness, only serve to stifle developer creativity and freedom, especially when this website operates on a strict system of your game being more visible to the community if it has a higher rating. All you're doing is forcing developers to strip themes and creativity away from their games to make the most accessible products that appeal to the widest common denominator. You will never be challenged, or forced to feel anything but happiness and horniness, and the games will be reduced to mere soulless products.

And let's not forget that all of this is due to a level of violence that would make your average R15 game, film, or TV show blush. 1) A minor character with only two scenes losing their head. 2) The main villain of the game threatening you. The reason these scenes bothered you at all is probably because of how attached you were to the story, world, and characters, which by many accounts is typically seen as a sign of high quality. It is frankly bizarre to give something a 6/10 when it's done its job too well, even if you personally don't enjoy it. It's like playing an incredibly scary horror game and complaining that it's too scary and you don't like horror games. Why bother leaving a review at that point? You're wasting the time of everyone looking for a horror game and reading the reviews. I'm sorry that this game is a serious fantasy story, and not another by-the-numbers sex fantasy where the overpowered protagonist solves every problem instantly and effortlessly, but is that really so fucking bad it deserves a 6/10? I don't want to live on a planet where that's the case.

Despite your review, I'm not going to let it change the direction of my game. There will be more important scenes like the ones you disliked that are absolutely required for the story. I'm going to commit to my vision because I know it'll result in a better game in the end.
A lot of artists get far too hung up on creativity and originality.
It is ok to do the occasional non innovative thing.

narutomater

May 2, 2020
No, as a matter of fact, the allegories to racism and traumatic backstories didn't hint to me that the game wanted to be taken seriously. They're dealt with so handily they hardly seem like problems at all. A scenario where Ray dealt with some form of racism, despite being a serious matter that clearly affects the characters, is not the same as watching someone get their head blown off. If these are serious issues, they should be seriously explored beyond therpaeutic talks and buying Davy a bar so she isn't bored. Is Mimi's backstory sad? Yes. Is it an issue in real life people can relate to? Yes. Is it quite as serious as seeing someone get killed suddenly? I might have to say no. My "angle" is exactly as I said: these scenes seem out of place. Seeing a Chinese factory worker get degloved caused me less discomfort. The level of violence is clearly not the issue. The Eris threat wasn't even visually violent unless you chose the early ending. I simply want the game to focus on either being serious or being silly, because to me sprinkling in tragedy offscreen doesn't prime me for shocking events. Many games have these exact themes while still being more violent and less discomforting. When I see a mangled corpse in Darktide, I don't gasp in surprise because I expect this event: I'm a suicidal soldier killing as much as possible seemingly to no end, and violence is often the goal. Beating up fantasy monsters that sink into the ground when "killed" and having no consequences for failure or even the option to truly fail gives me the exact opposite expectations. If your intentions were solely to subvert my expectations and take me out of my comfort zone by jumping from 0 to 100, then I guess you succeeded.
why do you keep going on and on about this? TwistedScarlett60 isnt gonna change his mind if you dont like the game then dont play it cause its starting to really upset me when i read the stuff your saying cause i love his Game the way it is it still has a great story and good Sex stuff and alot of good Characters

DBAV

Jul 22, 2017
You clearly missed the big turning point, this game starts as a lighthearted harem as many of us expected from the first moment we played it and keeps expanding beyond that, there are many sour parts like with pumpq the first or the discussion about the extinction of all living beings due to lack of men etc etc...
I think you are the only one here that got his mood killed by the "sudden" gore that almost all of us saw coming since the abomination bug in the forest.

wuckfit123

Dec 12, 2019
As a matter of fact, this is what I like about indie patreon games like this. You get a full display of the dev's artistic vision (especially one as passionate as TS is). Yes the overall tone is quite tongue in cheek, but then it is interspersed with social and personal commentary which reflects dev's worldview. Then maybe, some particular day dev is struck with a artistic flare to create 'unconventional' scenes. Personally, I find that those found in this game not jarring, but to each their own.

But on the bright side, since you say that you still enjoy the game overall, you can now adjust your expectations for this game. It is both silly and serious, and sometimes violent. That's a win-win, no?

Iwahahe

Jul 28, 2020
I really liked that moment. Could be misremembering but like, "This world is so beautiful...so why do I look like this?" really, really struck me. I was expecting jumpscares from this spooky town and spooky quest but a somber moment like that in a middle of a fight made me ask questions n feel things.

CarlCarlson99

Oct 27, 2022
I can't believe someone is getting their panties in a bunch over a tame ass death scene in a game. It's not like there was a geyser of blood and brain matter flying everywhere, covering the characters and traumatizing the party.
We were in the middle of a literal terrorist attack after all.
Sure, we hadn't really seen a character other than the abomination or the Pumpkin queen die before then, but it really wasn't that big of an issue. The game has enough serious moments in it where this really wasn't "out of place", i think you're just being overly sensitive because there's more to the game than just fucking monster girls and you don't want to think more than the minimum requirement.
Sorry if that's mean or whatever, but you're bitching about nothing and all of your arguments fail.

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
can we have an ETA on next update?
Might be out on the 27th or 29th.

Man, now i want to know more about the original outcome for little shroom city
I do too, honestly.
The original plan was for Cecile to die and Lyra to live, so Lyra would have to deal with the trauma of losing her best friend. It was pretty heavy stuff. It is admittedly difficult to give these moments the time and delicacy they deserve when the game has a large cast of characters and needs to keep moving, so maybe it's for the best that it was more tame in the final release. I also ended up liking Cecile a lot, she's so cute.
Beatrice would have also died, but Deathclaw survived although she wasn't quite as strong as she ended up being.

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
People keeps asking about the "Final Battle" happening in the next update, and after the conversation with the sleeping beauty in the current release, having the final battle so soon after without a time skip or something feels very off to me.

A more important, and reasonable question to me is, is the "Final Battle", going to not be against the rebel goddess, but against the other celestial being?

I think, beating the rebel goddess would be a nice end for this game/season, and having to fight the other celestial and the build up to that would make a great base for a second game/season.

Reactions: Kharsis666

narutomater

May 2, 2020
hmm maybe i am thinking to much it possible during the lab update they talk to Rosoria and he somehow awakens his powers to asorb his fathers spirit and maybe he meets his mom there to but i get the feeling his mom might be that dragon that attacked little shroom city cause dragon didnt attack dante so maybe thill be more of the story to explain that and when he awakens his powers he goes and meets the Goddess of the scarlet tears and fixes her to awake her from her sleep so yea maybe i was over thinknig it in next update he probably plans to gather all his comrades and stuff and in next update after episode 17 the final battel happens

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
hmm maybe i am thinking to much it possible during the lab update they talk to Rosoria and he somehow awakens his powers to asorb his fathers spirit and maybe he meets his mom there to but i get the feeling his mom might be that dragon that attacked little shroom city cause dragon didnt attack dante so maybe thill be more of the story to explain that and when he awakens his powers he goes and meets the Goddess of the scarlet tears and fixes her to awake her from her sleep so yea maybe i was over thinknig it in next update he probably plans to gather all his comrades and stuff and in next update after episode 17 the final battel happens
Everything to do with this games universe, being finished by update 18 would still be disgustingly fast and rushed to me.

Reactions: Kharsis666

narutomater

May 2, 2020
Everything to do with this games universe, being finished by update 18 would still be disgustingly fast and rushed to me.
im just going by what TS60 said story ends in 1-2 episodes but he plans to continue with the game afterword adding the Misic and optinal and extra stories for older charcters and alot of other cool stuff

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 102 Votes