Rodri 0496

Oct 3, 2018
Was anyone able to win the final "tournament" in the colisseum? I only lasted 2 rounds even though I bought the best of the best

Apr 25, 2019
Are these not nice looking? Some of the BGs are weaker, that's true, but this game was also quite an early adopter of generated backgrounds, using them when the technology was only just being introduced. I've made a few improvements here and there since then, and I'm hoping it'll only get better moving forward. It's a lot more flexible than just using stock images, or editing images from google :KEK:

You won't be able to replace it on the most recent version. I really don't see what the big deal is, who sits on the main menu for the entire 6 minutes it takes for the song to play? You can just download the song yourself and listen to it whenever you want.
The backgrounds are ok at best. But the AI art for characters are ugly. And they clash with the rest of the game. I woulda taken no character art over AI character art.

Mar 8, 2023
Bug: After the final hangout,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also, another bug, the quest "Uneasy Shores" incorrectly counts as getting someone pregnant (either Chloe counted a second time, or Polly, idk). I noticed this because immediately after my first final hangout I had 28 pregnant, including Bessie and Ray. I could only account for 27 - there are 22 in Mistral village (
) plus 5 outside Mistral Village (
). I went digging through my mid-game saves to figure out when the problem started, and then on the last unaffected save completed the quest and confirmed the pregnancy counter increased. I'm not certain what happens if you do this quest without ever visiting Chloe to find out she's pregnant in the first place.

Edit: While I'm at it, the final hangout only increments the day counter by 1 day. At this point in the game, you've probably maxed everything out anyway, but it's just weird, especially because the high level hangout where Ray goes away for a few days counts several days. Final hangout should definitely max the chest.

Reactions: TwistedScarlett60
Dec 4, 2019
The backgrounds are ok at best. But the AI art for characters are ugly. And they clash with the rest of the game. I woulda taken no character art over AI character art.
My guy, art costs a lot of time, or it costs a lot of money. The art looks fine. Considering the devs can obtain them within seconds rather than days of work for one, the backgrounds are more than okay and perfectly suitable for virtual novels. If you hate art so much, stick to text-based games lol.

I'll give you one thing: the AI art characters definitely clash with the rest of the art and drawn characters of the game, but considering there is not much animation with the drawn characters anyway, it's not that big of a deal. The AI art characters don't even look bad. They look great; it's just that they don't really blend in well with the game as a whole.

Overall the narrative is really well done, and your issues with the game have nothing to do with the sex scenes. It's just the actor art for dialogue scenes for only a COUPLE of characters and some of the monsters for combat.

Last edited:

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
I do agree that using AI Art for characters feels like a step too far and kind of turns me off from the game entirely, even if those characters aren't in focus for any reasonable length of time. I was able to ignore the backgrounds for the most part, but it infecting character art as well feels like a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for this game to finish for a long time and just now tabbed back in to check on it, so this information saddens me.

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
I swear, some of the people complaining about this game being too wordy just can't read fast. It's only 500,000 words, which includes every optional conversation, which takes the average person about 27 hours to read through, and some people have beaten the game in 17 hours. Imagine unironically calling it a 100 hour game and not realizing that you're calling yourself out.

I do agree that using AI Art for characters feels like a step too far and kind of turns me off from the game entirely, even if those characters aren't in focus for any reasonable length of time. I was able to ignore the backgrounds for the most part, but it infecting character art as well feels like a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for this game to finish for a long time and just now tabbed back in to check on it, so this information saddens me.
They're just background characters that wouldn't exist otherwise. They used to look like this, the same art style as the enemies, but people preferred the new designs:
Legendary Knights Summoner Dante A.png Elves Spellcaster.png
But sure, if I were to go back and remake MG1K, I probably wouldn't bother including these background characters at all.
Overall, they barely make up 2% of the meaningful content in the game. It was just an experiment to see if I could flesh out the world. Since it can take over a week to add each character, I wanted each area to be represented by more than just 1-2 characters. I wouldn't say it worked out overall, but in theory if I had a development team I would have liked every area to be as ambitious as Misty Woods or Capital City.

Last edited:

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
I swear, some of the people complaining about this game being too wordy just can't read fast. It's only 500,000 words, which includes every optional conversation, which takes the average person about 27 hours to read through, and some people have beaten the game in 17 hours. Imagine unironically calling it a 100 hour game and not realizing that you're calling yourself out.

They're just background characters that wouldn't exist otherwise. They used to look like this, the same art style as the enemies, but people preferred the new designs:
View attachment 2527354 View attachment 2527356
But sure, if I were to go back and remake MG1K, I probably wouldn't bother including these background characters at all.
Overall, they barely make up 2% of the meaningful content in the game. It was just an experiment to see if I could flesh out the world. Since it can take over a week to add each character, I wanted each area to be represented by more than just 1-2 characters. I wouldn't say it worked out overall, but in theory if I had a development team I would have liked every area to be as ambitious as Misty Woods or Capital City.
500 000 words is A LOT. That's on average 1200 pages more or less, with 400-500 words per page roughly. Double that if it's double spaced.

Lords of The Rings Trilogy books has 481,103 words. (Without counting The Hobbit)

The difference is, Lords of The Rings is an epic fantasy novel. Your game is a lewd RPG game.

I'm not expecting to read a literal Tolkien sized story for a lewd game. And in this case, you can't really have a good lewd game with that much of a monster of a story, it gets in the way.

Btw, use of AI art can be great. It has its uses. For background art that's plenty great. For characters mixed with original art, not so much.

EDIT: When you make a game, you want to write the story, plot and characters in a way that in conducive to the main goal of the game. An action game usually has over the top, funny dialogue. An adventure game will often have more dialogue, and be more focused around puzzles, mysteries, etc...

So a lewd game, by nature, should have a plot that is conducive to their goal: Sexual excitement. Which is present in MG1K for the beginning: Breed a 1000 offsprings.

The problem is the story constantly hold back this goal. Most girls you meet don't join your harem in the mid to late part of the game. Most don't get pregnant. So what's the point then? I'm not here for the 500k words. Yet the game mechanics and quest structure is geared towards building this 500k story instead of toward the main goal.

Last edited:

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
500 000 words is A LOT. That's on average 1200 pages more or less, with 500 words per page roughly. Double that if it's double spaced.

Lords of The Rings Trilogy books has 481,103 words. (Without counting The Hobbit)

The difference is, Lords of The Rings is an epic fantasy novel. Your game is a lewd RPG game.

I'm not expecting to read a literal Tolkien sized story for a lewd game. And in this case, you can't really have a good lewd game with that much of a monster of a story, it gets in the way.

Btw, use of AI art can be great. It has its uses. For background art that's plenty great. For characters mixed with original art, not so much.

EDIT: When you make a game, you want to write the story, plot and characters in a way that in conducive to the main goal of the game. An action game usually has over the top, funny dialogue. An adventure game will often have more dialogue, and be more focused around puzzles, mysteries, etc...

So a lewd game, by nature, should have a plot that is conducive to their goal: Sexual excitement. Which is present in MG1K for the beginning: Breed a 1000 offsprings.

The problem is the story constantly hold back this goal. Most girls you meet don't join your harem in the mid to late part of the game. Most don't get pregnant. So what's the point then? I'm not here for the 500k words. Yet the game mechanics and quest structure is geared towards building this 500k story instead of toward the main goal.
1200 pages at 500 words a page is 600 000 words.... and considering you are using exact numbers you wouldnt use on average or roughly. something more like, "500 000 words isnt that much. at 500 words per page, thats 1000 pages. being double spaced or not is irrelevant since we arent turning pages we are clicking to the next dialogue, so if it increases the hypothetical page count it doesnt matter." baldurs gate 2 shadows of amn has roughly 1.3 million words, for an action rpg. breaks your mold right there. maybe the developers main goal was to tell a story? your main goal isnt necessarily the developers main goal. you might not appreciate an epic story, but others will.....

i am fine with the ai art being used on background characters that otherwise would not have been there. the developer wants to fill the space with bodies, why waste time hand rendering a character that will be seen for a few screens or maybe 1 conversation then disappear because they were irrelevant to begin with? dump in something done by a computer in a fraction of the time, fill the world with extras to give it more of a solid feel, and move on. sounds like you dont like reading, or math, but prefer that guard number 1 should have exquisite detail even though hes about to become spider food? priorities bud. those aint them.

good day, gentlemen.

TwistedScarlett60

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
1200 pages at 500 words a page is 600 000 words.... and considering you are using exact numbers you wouldnt use on average or roughly. something more like, "500 000 words isnt that much. at 500 words per page, thats 1000 pages. being double spaced or not is irrelevant since we arent turning pages we are clicking to the next dialogue, so if it increases the hypothetical page count it doesnt matter." baldurs gate 2 shadows of amn has roughly 1.3 million words, for an action rpg. breaks your mold right there. maybe the developers main goal was to tell a story? your main goal isnt necessarily the developers main goal. you might not appreciate an epic story, but others will.....

i am fine with the ai art being used on background characters that otherwise would not have been there. the developer wants to fill the space with bodies, why waste time hand rendering a character that will be seen for a few screens or maybe 1 conversation then disappear because they were irrelevant to begin with? dump in something done by a computer in a fraction of the time, fill the world with extras to give it more of a solid feel, and move on. sounds like you dont like reading, or math, but prefer that guard number 1 should have exquisite detail even though hes about to become spider food? priorities bud. those aint them.

good day, gentlemen.
Yeah, Disco Elysium also has 1.1 million words, and it's only a 25- to 30-hour experience.
Monster Girl 1,000 was overall just too ambitious and bloated of a game for me to give it the depth it needed to succeed, and RPGMaker MV is too stifling and inaccessible of an engine for me to make a lot of commonly suggested improvements which I'm eagerly excited to bring forward into my next game. It's been a breath of fresh air returning to Ren'Py.

I'd say the biggest weakness of MG1K overall is probably a lack of focus and direction for the sex scenes, hampered by the engine not having multiple background tracks, and being difficult to add animations and effects to, since I don't think it's possible to loop images and their transformations without being a crack coder.

While the game does throw a sex scene in your face roughly every thirty minutes, they're typically afterthoughts and not built up as effectively as I'd like. And while I'll still disagree that the game is vanilla, it doesn't focus enough on the oddities and quirks of the various characters, nor place you in enough unique scenarios to make any individual scene stand out as much as it should.

I definitely don't think this game is a "pregnancy game". It's just a game that features some elements of pregnancy. It's a monster girl game first and foremost, and while one of the main motives for the character is the need to breed, it's no bigger than the focus of being a hunter, or uncovering the main mystery. So it only makes sense that about a 1/3 of the girls get pregnant when the game is only about 1/3rd focused on that part of the game.
Unfortunately, pregnancy fans are pretty toxic and overly vocal. More than any other fetish on the site. It's very clear to me that when it comes to pregnancy, nothing is ever good enough. "What's that? Only 27 of the game's 75 characters can get pregnant? Garbage game!", as if that at all is a metric for quality, ffs. :KEK:
So it's a fetish I'm going to steer clear of in the future. I'd rather draw feet than deal with the shit I've gotten from the "pregnancy crowd."

Aug 22, 2021
Yeah, Disco Elysium also has 1.1 million words, and it's only a 25- to 30-hour experience.
Monster Girl 1,000 was overall just too ambitious and bloated of a game for me to give it the depth it needed to succeed, and RPGMaker MV is too stifling and inaccessible of an engine for me to make a lot of commonly suggested improvements which I'm eagerly excited to bring forward into my next game. It's been a breath of fresh air returning to Ren'Py.

I'd say the biggest weakness of MG1K overall is probably a lack of focus and direction for the sex scenes, hampered by the engine not having multiple background tracks, and being difficult to add animations and effects to, since I don't think it's possible to loop images and their transformations without being a crack coder.

While the game does throw a sex scene in your face roughly every thirty minutes, they're typically afterthoughts and not built up as effectively as I'd like. And while I'll still disagree that the game is vanilla, it doesn't focus enough on the oddities and quirks of the various characters, nor place you in enough unique scenarios to make any individual scene stand out as much as it should.

I definitely don't think this game is a "pregnancy game". It's just a game that features some elements of pregnancy. It's a monster girl game first and foremost, and while one of the main motives for the character is the need to breed, it's no bigger than the focus of being a hunter, or uncovering the main mystery. So it only makes sense that about a 1/3 of the girls get pregnant when the game is only about 1/3rd focused on that part of the game.
Unfortunately, pregnancy fans are pretty toxic and overly vocal. More than any other fetish on the site. It's very clear to me that when it comes to pregnancy, nothing is ever good enough. "What's that? Only 27 of the game's 75 characters can get pregnant? Garbage game!", as if that at all is a metric for quality, ffs. :KEK:
So it's a fetish I'm going to steer clear of in the future. I'd rather draw feet than deal with the shit I've gotten from the "pregnancy crowd."
Out of curiosity, what metric(s) are you using to interpret that the game didn't succeed? I for one am waiting for it to go off of its initial sale on steam so I can give you the full value for the excellent experience I already enjoyed. That might be an uncommon reason for not having bought it yet, but from the majority of the posts on this forum, I would call the game a resounding success in terms of community appeal.

Also yes, the pregnancy fetish is a weirdly passionate one on this site. I've never seen so much anger on the DoL thread as when Vrelnir finally agreed to add it.

Dalaranec

Mar 29, 2023

Maybe a little off topic, but, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of visual novels, but I played some games made in Ren'py and there was only text with the ability to choose what to say and pictures without animations, and since I love games that have animation and combat system, I didn't really like them (games made on Ren'py), but I hope that over time there will be more visual novels in combination with other genres.

TwistedScarlett60

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
Out of curiosity, what metric(s) are you using to interpret that the game didn't succeed? I for one am waiting for it to go off of its initial sale on steam so I can give you the full value for the excellent experience I already enjoyed. That might be an uncommon reason for not having bought it yet, but from the majority of the posts on this forum, I would call the game a resounding success in terms of community appeal.

Also yes, the pregnancy fetish is a weirdly passionate one on this site. I've never seen so much anger on the DoL thread as when Vrelnir finally agreed to add it.
I'm being harsh on myself, but the game is of course a big success both here and on Steam with an average review score of over 9/10, but I just KNOW I can do better, and I struggled to contend with Monster Girl 1,000, knowing that it wasn't my best. There's also the issue that a lot of the early art in MG1K just wasn't that good, since I was learning and practicing how to draw humans back then.

If I were to remake Monster Girl 1,000, I don't think I'd do a single thing the same, but if I were to remake Friendship with Benefits, it'd just be a remaster that's almost identical in structure.

Maybe a little off topic, but, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of visual novels, but I played some games made in Ren'py and there was only text with the ability to choose what to say and pictures without animations, and since I love games that have animation and combat system, I didn't really like them (games made on Ren'py), but I hope that over time there will be more visual novels in combination with other genres.
All my games except Tuition Academia have been a little text-heavy, but that's probably because they are visual novels at the end of the day. Friendship with Benefits, for instance, had a 11,000-word introduction—practically a short novel—before it let you explore the map.

On the other hand, Tuition Academia was very snappy Ren'Py game with a focus on the gameplay, almost far too snappy, with no overarching story and just a focus on diegetic storytelling through the mechanics and scenarios. I don't think this approach worked all that well, since a narrative helps hook people into the world and leads to the game being more memorable.

And then Monster Girl 1,000 is just colossal in size, and in most cases, it feels like a lot could be cut out without losing much. I've always tried to be as concise as possible with my writing, you'll very rarely catch me slipping into flowery, descriptive prose that drags scenes out. I try to keep my pacing as tight as possible, and direct each scene to have a specific purpose, and to further that, I tried to make sure each sentence and description has a purpose for existing.

In my next game, Unveiling the Unknown, this snappy pacing and concise use of writing enabled me to make the best intro to one of my games so far, IMO. Not only does it feature three lengthy sex scenes, but it's still much shorter than Friendship with Benefit's intro while introducing a lot more characters.
Just because it's made in Ren'Py, doesn't mean I'm not planning on adding gameplay. I think mixing up the reading with regular breaks of doing something else is something I want to try bringing to all my games. Every day you will visit the dungeon and try to kill some monsters to collect loot and upgrade other aspects of the game. I'm not fantastic at coding yet, so coding in-depth gameplay mechanics is challenging for me. While it would be awesome to develop an engaging gameplay system, the best I can really do are text/image-based strategy games.

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018

good day, gentlemen.
My dude, the 500 words per page is ROUGHLY the number of page in a book. It depends on the exact formatting, font size, spacing, if there is decoration, etc...

The word count for Lords Of The Rings was set as an example, not meant to be a true 1:1

Perhaps i should have been more precise tho with the page count. However, my point still stands. 500K words is huge, and largely unnecessary.

And Baldur's Gate is a large scale RPG DnD-based game. Of course, it has a lot of words, you're playing this game specifically for the story and characters. What exactly is it breaking in my argument, except your own?

My point is if the author wanted to create an epic story, using a lewd game for that isn't exactly the best vessel. You will find people that wants an enjoyable, snackable story that can be achieved in a timely manner. Most plays lewds games for the lewd stuff, not for the story it comes with (Although great stories and characters will always be extremely appreciated). Which means you need to consider that in your story approach.

Sure, you could skip the story, but then the story that definitely took a lot of efforts to be made won't be appreciated. Which defeats the purpose of making it in the first place.

Finally, fuck off with the straw man arguments of "sounds like you dont like reading, or math, but prefer that guard number 1 should have exquisite detail even though hes about to become spider food?"

Nowhere in my initial post do I make any mentions of that.

Last edited:

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
I'm being harsh on myself, but the game is of course a big success both here and on Steam with an average review score of over 9/10, but I just KNOW I can do better, and I struggled to contend with Monster Girl 1,000, knowing that it wasn't my best. There's also the issue that a lot of the early art in MG1K just wasn't that good, since I was learning and practicing how to draw humans back then.

If I were to remake Monster Girl 1,000, I don't think I'd do a single thing the same, but if I were to remake Friendship with Benefits, it'd just be a remaster that's almost identical in structure.

All my games except Tuition Academia have been a little text-heavy, but that's probably because they are visual novels at the end of the day. Friendship with Benefits, for instance, had a 11,000-word introduction—practically a short novel—before it let you explore the map.

On the other hand, Tuition Academia was very snappy Ren'Py game with a focus on the gameplay, almost far too snappy, with no overarching story and just a focus on diegetic storytelling through the mechanics and scenarios. I don't think this approach worked all that well, since a narrative helps hook people into the world and leads to the game being more memorable.

And then Monster Girl 1,000 is just colossal in size, and in most cases, it feels like a lot could be cut out without losing much. I've always tried to be as concise as possible with my writing, you'll very rarely catch me slipping into flowery, descriptive prose that drags scenes out. I try to keep my pacing as tight as possible, and direct each scene to have a specific purpose, and to further that, I tried to make sure each sentence and description has a purpose for existing.

In my next game, Unveiling the Unknown, this snappy pacing and concise use of writing enabled me to make the best intro to one of my games so far, IMO. Not only does it feature three lengthy sex scenes, but it's still much shorter than Friendship with Benefit's intro while introducing a lot more characters.
Just because it's made in Ren'Py, doesn't mean I'm not planning on adding gameplay. I think mixing up the reading with regular breaks of doing something else is something I want to try bringing to all my games. Every day you will visit the dungeon and try to kill some monsters to collect loot and upgrade other aspects of the game. I'm not fantastic at coding yet, so coding in-depth gameplay mechanics is challenging for me. While it would be awesome to develop an engaging gameplay system, the best I can really do are text/image-based strategy games.
Honestly, the simple fact that you can acknowledge the potential issues of your previous games and build onto it is fantastic. That's something lots of game devs all around the world have difficulty to do, despite the fact there is no better path for self-improvement than looking back on your own work impartially and identifying what was good and bad.

I never doubted you can make some incredible stories and characters. MG1K really has some great story arcs (I personally loved the revelations made in the Capital City mid-game) and characters (I personally enjoyed having Bessie and Ray with me for most of the campaign). My main critic was always that the game could easily have been much more snackable by simply removing superfluous dialogue.

On the game i'm working, it's a sci-fi horror universe that tries has much as possible to base itself on a good ground of reality. Multiples times, we had the chance to go really deep in the lore. And many times, we did. But we always have to keep ourselves in line to make something that is easy to understand and not go too deep in a rabbit hole of revelations, twists and such. Because our story is made to support our game universe, not the reverse.

It's all about balance. You need a carefully made balance of enough words to appropriately explain the story, yet not too much that it bogs down the pace and lose sights of it's goal.

Also, the fact that you were actually able to deliver finished games and updates on a timely manner is a genuinely great feat on it's own.

Anyway, with all that, i'm really looking forward to the next game.

Dalaranec

Mar 29, 2023
I may ask a strange question, but when I first played this game, I asked myself the question, will I meet a cyborg monster girl? I asked myself this question until I got to Calamity Overlook and met Erika, at first I thought she was a cyborg monster girl but after reading the dialogues with her I doubted it because she turned out to be a magical girl. But could it be canon that Erika could technically be a cyborg monster girl judging by the look of her body?

Dec 4, 2019

Honestly, though, with what the game is now, I do not believe it was -too- ambitious. It's a surprisingly decent story for a lewd game considering there is often a lot of fluff and exaggerated or farfetched tropes in them. I found MG1K's story to be fairly engaging comparatively. If MG1K were to be remade/remastered, I'd honestly hope that you would cut not too much from it but instead refine or build onto what's already there. Granted, many of the scenes themselves may not feel meaningful enough due to pacing at the moment, but there is definitely a strong enough foundation to make an already great game even better.

It sucks to hear that you'll be moving away from pregnancy though! It's one of my interests in lewd games. :(
There will be toxic people in every crowd, but I am sorry to hear you've gotten flak for that. People are always going to want more of one thing or another and for some people, it'll never be enough (Heck, I even asked about Hannah!), but at the end of the day, it's your story and you're developing a community who enjoys your games and stands behind your work.

Though, if you did ever remake MG1K, I hope a third-party developer like StraightSkyblue09 would one day make a patch for characters like Hannah :BootyTime:.

Reactions: billyjoebobmartin

hexkitty01

Jan 19, 2021

View attachment 2527354 View attachment 2527356
Dude, don't credit those haters. Look at how many people are playing this, how many love it, take some of these critics' desires as "optional extras" or "well, if I had infinite time / resources" bits, and ignore the rest. I've played FwB, Tuition, and this, and loved them all. Basically if I see a TS60 dev'ed game now, that s**t's getting downloaded and played instantly.

4.50 star(s) 102 Votes