Unity Morningstar: Book of the Fallen [v0.4.0] [Droid Productions]

4.90 star(s) 12 Votes
Aug 5, 2017
After finishing "Love of Magic" some time ago i'm expecting great stuff here!
Good luck(y)
That's quite an impressive feat given that LoM is still in development. :D

Has anyone found "Ready.Aim.Fire"? I got all the others, but that one, I can not find the flyer anywhere.

I assumed it would be in the chili restaurant, since it's the only main map without one, but I'm not seeing it anywhere in there, regardless of the time of the day I go there.

Also, what is that cat doing in the cafe? :D
Some of the assets for act2 are included in the download even though they're not used by the story yet, and that includes one of the collectables. The location (unsurprisingly a firing range) is only reachable by playing with debug commands right now.

As for the cat, talk to Katja as on of your choices on day 15, there's a hint

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Some of the assets for act2 are included in the download even though they're not used by the story yet, and that includes one of the collectables. The location (unsurprisingly a firing range) is only reachable by playing with debug commands right now.

As for the cat, talk to Katja as on of your choices on day 15, there's a hint
Dear lord, I've been looking for it for eons. I thought it was a joke with chili, and explosive reactions to it :D

Reactions: Droid Productions

Ogre

Mar 29, 2018
Love of Magic is so good, and epic in scale. The one flaw I always felt it has is that the sex parts are pretty bland and vanilla. It would be great if this new project leaned into the kinks, and that the sex scenes in general were deeper and less repetitive.
That may not be what the developer intends, and that's fine, but it would be nice.

Aug 5, 2017
Right, and now, onto the criticism:

First point, the combat:

The match3 game, unlike your poker previously, is way too restrictive as far as mix of skills go.

Previously, we had a rather large amount of choice on effects and bonuses, simply due to the amount of potential results from your hand.
On this one however, we're limited to a four choices. Meaning, and I assume you did that on purpose, some colors, will be useless to you, aside from matching 4 for an extra turn.

As far as skills go however, we really do not have a lot of mix and match potential with only 4 slots.
My suggestion would be two more slots, BUT, a restriction on the amount of colors we can use instead.

As it stands, if you pick two of the same color, one will rarely, if ever, fill up. Simply because out of so little amount of colors, since your adversary will share at least three with you, it becomes really long to build up your skill, and honestly boring, to try to set things up.
Unlike in your poker, were you could apply some tactics, on this one, it's virtually impossible.

Add to that the very little amount of battles we can do in the allotted amount of time, unless you're planning to add a lot more ways to gain exp and levels, soon, combat is more than likely going to become a chore, and will bore people rather quickly.
There's already a lot of interactions between skills, jab/flurry/jump-kick has solid synergy where you jab every time it overflows then unleash a devastating flurry, and jump-kick feeds you more blues to use on them.

Doggedly going for yellows to fill up kidney blow then one-shotting your opponent when you use it, Rage to neutralize the opponent's red skills and make skulls useful as matches, etc.

There's already a lot of of tactical options and you're at the scripted fight with the wraith in elsewhere storywise. Expect it to open up a lot more as the other trainer paths get unlocked and repeatable fights start happening.

Lack of sexy time:

You know me, this was coming... lack of sexy times, especially with the redheads, this is a crime. Period :)

Story:

It seems to be starting pretty well, however,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's actually a last minute change to (I assume) make sure people had a chance at seeing the side content for the first release, and because of that it does feel rushed. You get a bunch of the lead-up conversations to it after it happens. Lin tells you she tries to put a leash on you which makes no sense until you get texts from her later trying to invite you to company events to show off, and MC refusing. I'd like to see the progression go back to how it was for act2, when there's more game time for it to play out in. Some of the optional content does feel a bit disjointed because of that, Katie sends you nudes out-of-sequence that originally were a reaction to kelly turning out to be a stalker. With more game-time for the stories to develop they should feel more natural.

The side quests:

They're mostly fine, but, getting them to trigger, is too costly and too long in my opinion.

We just end up having days talking to nobody, just training/running/drinking/eating, with nothing of note happening.
Considering the length of the first chapters, using the side quests to fill up the "empty days", would make the player have a better experience, and it'll feel a lot less grindy this way as well in my opinion.

Skill points / Stats:

Like in LOM, unless you've played it, it is impossible to even start to guess how many points you'll be needing in the chapter to succeed on any given interactions. Considering the limited time we have day wise, this will, like in LOM, force people to either cheat, or replay from scratch trying to guess the values needed to pass the checks.
Adding an option to retry them a couple of days laters, would in my opinion, be the bare minimum, as I assume we'll end up missing sexy scenes because of this. Early on, the game is still small it's fine, but in LOM, well, you know how long it was... replaying it just for an extra scene or two... the games are nice... but......... :)
The guessing is a good point, and it might help that for an important storyline to have a quest entry associated with it. Something like a quest text of: "I need to get ready for the fight, I should get my stats all up to at least 10 before weigh-in" to let players know what's expected of them? Failing isn't the end of the game though, it's only an XP reward for beating the stat check.

I'm surprised it felt grindy, having playtested a bunch of times I appreciated that there were unique scenes for nearly everything I needed to do. What did you feel you had to do too many times? It might help to highlight that there's multiple ways to increase each stat so you don't feel that you're stuck in a rut.

Edit: thinking about it, one way having insider knowledge/the wiki helps a lot: there's a number of events that advance on a 1,2 or 3 day timer and if you don't know that you keep repeating PT/Drinking at the bar not realizing that it isn't advancing the sidestory. I'm not sure what a good balance between discovery and holding the players hand for every step of the journey is, but there's definitely room to drop hints that you've already triggered the next step and you can do other things while you wait. Some are pretty obvious, snowdrop says somethings coming up and a day or so later you find out what happened. With Lin it's less obvious that there's a going to be a fixed 2 or 3 day gap every time she talks to you on Facial.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017
Love of Magic is so good, and epic in scale. The one flaw I always felt it has is that the sex parts are pretty bland and vanilla. It would be great if this new project leaned into the kinks, and that the sex scenes in general were deeper and less repetitive.
That may not be what the developer intends, and that's fine, but it would be nice.
Have you played the latest release of book3?

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
There's already a lot of interactions between skills, jab/flurry/jump-kick has solid synergy where you jab every time it overflows then unleash a devastating flurry, and jump-kick feeds you more blues to use on them.

Doggedly going for yellows to fill up kidney blow then one-shotting your opponent when you use it, Rage to neutralize the opponent's red skills and make skulls useful as matches, etc.

There's already a lot of of tactical options and you're at the scripted fight with the wraith in elsewhere storywise. Expect it to open up a lot more as the other trainer paths get unlocked and repeatable fights start happening.
The problems are not the synergies, but the time it takes to fill them up, considering the next drops are unpredictable, any kind of tactics is impossible, as there's no telling what the next drops at the tops will be.
On a normal match3, it's fine, but since we're sharing the board with an enemy, it's purely luck based, and you get even less choice as to which pieces will drop where, as any good move, will be consumed by the other one at the next turn.

The adversary, several times, got combos of 4 and 5's, as did I from time to time, but it had nothing to do with strategy.
In the poker, if you were so inclined, you could actually try to predict/block the adversaries, but in a shared match3 board, that is simply impossible, short of consuming the colors the other would need constantly.

Ideally, to fill a 15, you'll need at the very least, 3 turns of 5 identical colors. But, with the enemy, you're already at 6 turns. Now add the randomness to it, it simply takes way too long to fill the skills to use them, which in turn, makes the fight extremely boring. Do not get me wrong, I love the concept like in LOM, of having a proper minigame instead of fights with dodge and the like, but the pace of it, is just completely off, especially here where we're supposedly fighting MMA style hand to hand.

Short term, sure, it's fun. Long term? People will get bored of it extremely quickly.

That's actually a last minute change to (I assume) make sure people had a chance at seeing the side content for the first release, and because of that it does feel rushed. You get a bunch of the lead-up conversations to it after it happens. Lin tells you she tries to put a leash on you which makes no sense until you get texts from her later trying to invite you to company events to show off, and MC refusing. I'd like to see the progression go back to how it was for act2, when there's more game time for it to play out in. Some of the optional content does feel a bit disjointed because of that, Katie sends you nudes out-of-sequence that originally were a reaction to kelly turning out to be a stalker. With more game-time for the stories to develop they should feel more natural.
I noticed things happened weirdly as well, but I really was talking about the actual text progression for that specific event. You only speak to her twice I think; including the shower scene. And a couple of messages and pictures. I mean, sure it's a game, but... it just feels way too fast on the interactions between them to progress that far and that quickly.

Master/sub is not something that should happen this quickly, with so little efforts or communication. It just feels, wrong.
I mean, when seducing someone, the chase is the fun part. Getting your dick sucked or getting laid is just the reward, but the hunt is the actual fun part.

The guessing is a good point, and it might help that for an important storyline to have a quest entry associated with it. Something like a quest text of: "I need to get ready for the fight, I should get my stats all up to at least 10 before weigh-in" to let players know what's expected of them? Failing isn't the end of the game though, it's only an XP reward for beating the stat check.

I'm surprised it felt grindy, having playtested a bunch of times I appreciated that there were unique scenes for nearly everything I needed to do. What did you feel you had to do too many times? It might help to highlight that there's multiple ways to increase each stat so you don't feel that you're stuck in a rut.
This was an issue I fed back on LOM early on, in LOM, many events were random/scripted, and it seemed like we had a lot more "freetime" as well, so you had quite a fair bit of time to raise your stats high enough not to fail even with no indication, but there, everything is so fast timewise, with so little freetime to raise your stats, that it is pretty difficult to make it on time.
The first time, the game did not feel grindy, because I changed the activities and as such, spread my stats blindly. Then, encounters happened, and since I had no indications on that targets, there's no telling how much I was off by either.
On the 2nd try, I focused mostly on charisma at first, until the encounter (sadly, there were no scenes for them either :-( ).

It's not so much grinding, since the chapter is rather short, but redoing the same stuff (training/running/eating) blindly, because there's no indication on which events happens after what, or how many of X actions.
In the last game, I kept drinking from the cute snow one, and nothing happened for eons. Then all of a sudden, she had 3 posts, and a facial. I literally have no idea what triggers what at this point :(

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Has anyone found "Ready.Aim.Fire"? I got all the others, but that one, I can not find the flyer anywhere.

I assumed it would be in the chili restaurant, since it's the only main map without one, but I'm not seeing it anywhere in there, regardless of the time of the day I go there.

Also, what is that cat doing in the cafe? :D
It's from a scene that's in the game, but won't be accessible until Act 2. Saffron's Mu Lau's cousin, and is part of the tac-ops team for Hua Long.
intro.png

SomeoneX22

Dec 1, 2017
Reusing same models seems like great social expreiment on patrons to check amount of bullshit they can eat.
I'm not even mad, it's amazing!
Droid Productions is really mad geniuous we deserve.

Reactions: rspkers

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Reusing same models seems like great social expreiment on patrons to check amount of bullshit they can eat.
I'm not even mad, it's amazing!
Droid Productions is really mad geniuous we deserve.
I think you overestimate the work in creating a new model; there's 80+ characters in Love of Magic. The work is more in posing, lighting and rendering (and in my case, setting up spine 2D animations). I re-rendered all the characters to be larger and have facial animation, re-rendered all the faces to use a consistent light setup; the only pixels re-used are in wallpapers or situations like this.

smartphone1.png

SomeoneX22

Dec 1, 2017
I think you overestimate the work in creating a new model; there's 80+ characters in Love of Magic. The work is more in posing, lighting and rendering (and in my case, setting up spine 2D animations). I re-rendered all the characters to be larger and have facial animation, re-rendered all the faces to use a consistent light setup; the only pixels re-used are in wallpapers or situations like this.
Jokes aside for me it's more general fatigue from LoM, even good things should come in moderation. Lust Theory [v1.0.3] [Inceton], was ruined by doing sudden asset filp with tons of sex scenes and "matrix" simulation revelation, rendering all of previous story meaningless. I hope that I am wrong with this comparison...

Reactions: The D0n and rspkers

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Jokes aside for me it's more general fatigue from LoM, even good things should come in moderation. Lust Theory [v1.0.3] [Inceton], was ruined by doing sudden asset filp with tons of sex scenes and "matrix" simulation revelation, rendering all of previous story meaningless. I hope that I am wrong with this comparison...
Play the game and find out, I guess :)

And no, there's no relationship between the story in LoM and the story in Morningstar. Same souls, different world.

Reactions: SomeoneX22

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Aside from the looks and names (which can be changed), it is completely different, you're safe.

Droid is one of the very very very few devs of adult VNs that can be trusted.
He's been going for years now, and I've never even so much of a drop of a hint of him doing anything dodgy.

If anything, we could do with MORE sex scenes, especially with Bella and Foxy :D

jtjr26

Dec 6, 2019
I am a big fan of Love of Magic and I like this game so far, though this first release was a bit short. I understand you are using a kind of star system with familiar faces in different roles. I would have not minded switching up the roles some more. Katie is still the friend (maybe with benefits) and Emily is still the princess as she is still the daughter of a powerful otherworldly being whom our hero interacts with. I would have preferred to have other characters brought to the forefront and maybe have Katie and Emily be more in the background. Maybe Emily could have been the villain. Just a thought. Looking forward to more.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I am a big fan of Love of Magic and I like this game so far, though this first release was a bit short. I understand you are using a kind of star system with familiar faces in different roles. I would have not minded switching up the roles some more. Katie is still the friend (maybe with benefits) and Emily is still the princess as she is still the daughter of a powerful otherworldly being whom our hero interacts with. I would have preferred to have other characters brought to the forefront and maybe have Katie and Emily be more in the background. Maybe Emily could have been the villain. Just a thought. Looking forward to more.
Yeah, there's definitely an aspect of them taking similar roles, though things shift around a little. Obviously there's no Chosen in this game, so Bella and Molly will feel very different. There's also the aspect that Katie's pushing hard for a primary LI role :)

We'll see... I have places the story needs to go, but I also try to give the characters room to breathe.

The length aspect is fascinating; in Love of Magic's Act 1 (21 days vs 16 days in Morningstar) there were a lot more free time; over the course of Book 1 I filled that up, so you had lots of things to do, but initially it was an issue that there was too much free time, and nothing to do except grind stats.

With Morningstar it's the opposite problem; I could have shifted the fight night to day 30, and people still wouldn't have run out of side-content (Lin/Snowdrop, primarily). This is a mix of less days (16 vs 21), more mainline content (there's a scripted event every day, though not all of them take time), and a lot more side-content.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'll try to give a little more space for free-roaming in Act 2, so people can catch up with side content (but then I'll also be adding more side content, so... :D)

Reactions: Boobs Lover
4.90 star(s) 12 Votes