Hentaicheg

May 28, 2018
This is the first game of the series right?
Kinda...

To be exact the series can be summed up as:

1) Muv Luv(Extra + Unlimited) - this game, the original.
Extra is a very short super crap romance novel that introduces one version of characters in a world resembling our own - no otherworldly mumbo jumbo.. Would be absolute disaster if taken outside of context as it does not stand out much out of any random romance VN.

The characters get drastically changed in later games and this short 'game' is ALMOST fully pointless.. but it's super short, so there is that.
It adds a bit context to some things that will be mentioned in the other games.

Knowing that this world 'exists', knowing characters from this world and that MC of unlimited/alternative is originally from 'this' world is enough knowledge for the later games.

Unlimited - you have to get through Sumiko + Meiya route of Extra to unlock it.
This is what the 'main game' is all about.

It's an 'Alternate Universe' setting with alien species invading.

In this version - MC is super weak 'Extra' game one BUT everyone else is the 'Alternative' version of their selves... with usually minor to big changes of their background, but mostly retaining same personality.

To summ it up the ending of this one is relatively 'bad' for humanity. This is not so much of a spoiler honestly, the interesting thing is how the process goes.

The game itself is pretty weak individually but does give some insight into playing the 'much better games' - 'The Day After' and 'Alternative'

1.1 The Day After - probably the most noteworthy non 'Alternative' game.

It is the direct continuation of 'Unlimited'.

It is a game consisting of '4 games'. 4th has yet to come out as of my post in July 2022, although it has been announced already.

It follows events after 'The Day', which is slight spoilers to how Unlimited ends. So far I would say it's not going as strong as Alternative, BUT it's certainly a 'good' VN. Just don't go expecting 'Alternative' tier story and you will be happy.

2) Muv Luv Alternative - the VN you probably heard the most about and the reason the whole series is popular.
It's a very deep story that is essentially 'what if' MC could relive the 'Unlimited' story while knowing every event that has happened in 'Unlimited' and having a Giga Chad trained body retained.
Since you are a Giga Chad protag in this game with future event insight - you kinda do the things that any Giga Chad would do and change the fate of the world.

Don't let my joke summary drive you off though, it's mostly there to avoid spoiling anything big.

This game is considered one of best VNs of all time for a reason, it's a truly mature story which is not afraid to touch difficult subjects.

2.1 Schwarzesmarken - the arguably 'best' 'big' side game. Just like how you could have concluded from the name - it's 'Germany' perspective in early part of 'Alternative' timeline.

Untranslated to EN.

2.2 Alternative Total Eclipse - yet another big side game of 'Alternative', this time focusing on UN.
Got a recent remaster version.

3) Mostly every other currently released game - those are mostly 'extra stories' with different cast of characters, usually based on one of the other countries perspectives in 'Alternative' timeline. Or some short stories with existing ones... Basically 'side dish' for milking big time fans.
Nothing too noteworthy and better ignored.

4) Muv Luv Integrate - a game which is planned to be a direct sequel to 'Alternative'. Currently very little info is available(july 2022)

TLDR:
Game has 2 timelines.

1) 'The Day' Time line - Extra(mostly unrelated) > Unlimited > The Day After(4 games, last is not released yet, july 2022)

A "what would happen if no 'Alternative' time travel shenanigans happened".

2) 'Alternative' Time line - Extra(mostly unrelated) > Alternative + loads of extra side stories for Alternative > Integrate sequel(not released yet, july 2022)

The Alternative being essentially same story as 'Unlimited' but with MC having prior knowledge of 'Unlimited' events leading to drastically different conclusion and overall drastically changing how events play out.

Nothing as complex as 'Fate' once you break it down into where something belongs.. So don't be afraid of the big amount of games, it's in reality a very small series with the only top tier game being 'Alternative', but it wants you to play some other shorter/worse games to understand a bit context.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021
That's just going to confuse him. If he wants to get into this franchise he should start here with Muv-Luv (which is made up of Extra and Unlimited), then read Muv-Luv Alternative, and afterwards branch into whichever direction he wants.

Hentaicheg

May 28, 2018
That's actually as short and precise summary as it gets and is designed to help him out how he wants to tackle the series.

Wanting or not to play Muv Luv is best decided after reading this summary.

I would say Extra/Unlimited are hardly worth it is my opinion after tackling the whole Franchise... Alternative tells all you need to know about Unlimited events. Knowing what happens in certain events yourself is a thing to hit you deeper... it works for some, does not work for others.

For a lot of people - extra/unlimited would just be ~30 hours down the drain, does not help that those are arguably weakest games in the series not counting maybe total eclipse and the small side stories.

Unlimited is kinda required to play 'the day after', but it pales compared to Alternative...
And reading summary of unlimited is IMO more than enough to get into Alternative and experience it without having to go through slog of a pretty meh tier VN.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021
The Extra/Unlimited/Alternative trilogy is Takeru's hero journey. Skipping all the way to the third chapter would be a mistake as he would miss out on all of the character development that Takeru grows through. That's the beauty of this franchise. One ought to at least do Sumika's route in Extra in order for the full emotional impact of Alternative to work its magic. And Unlimited is a great VN in its own right, so there is absolutely no sense in skipping it. Anyway I wrote down my full thoughts in my review.

Nicorondo

Feb 5, 2021
i can't even open the game and i keep get this error message. how can i fix this? (i already did what the read me said to do and installed it into the C drive) broiwannaplaymuvluv.PNG

• Hey there
Reactions: karabiner98k

rmay420

Mar 4, 2020
Hi, I'd like to add that if you're using the "Torrent/Install" method and when choosing your own install location, try not to have any special characters like "[]" in the install path.

I was struggling with RuntimeError(406) for the longest time because of how I like to group and name folders by their developers. But now the game works even without using the " vdf2registry.exe " registry patch.

D:\[Age]\Muv-Luv //Doesn't work
D:\Age\[Age]Muv-Luv //Doesn't work either

D:\Age\Muv-Luv //Works

Directory error.png
Directory fix.png

souldray

Jun 5, 2020
Well, i suggest that trying to read something from this series after 3 main game...you might have just kill yourself, Morimo-chan....why this is happening?

under_Joe_cut

Aug 18, 2020
Help!!!!
I did everything the installation guide for DDL said, but then this pop up.
I try all the link but they are still missing. How can I fix it
322147780_1221217645457252_2184084310799847482_n.jpg 322020074_2131769150544210_3040163374717788393_n.jpg

Delta.Primis

Jul 16, 2021
ok so i have a massive issue here the directers cut patch is not instaling it keeps saying i need to run the game first and its making me so angry that im seeing stars can somebody help me out here what am i doing wrong im using the version of the game where u have to put it in the C folder also i have used the normal game .exe this whole time to run it i just discovered that the steamloader does not function it gives me this wierd stupid error Edit: i managed to stop it from complaining using the weight of my dick basicly while i did have it installed in the C drive it was in a folder in the C drive i had to install it in the c drive itself so it looks like this C: muv luf not C: some dumb ares folder name then> muv luf alright delta out

Last edited:

Delta.Primis

Jul 16, 2021
also i hate the mc in muv luv i hate him so much hes so anoying no spoilers but certin actions at the end of alternitive just make me wanna pheal the flesh from his face ! he would rather let somebody screem and beg for him to do "it" then just not letting that person go trough that hell fuk man i wanna bash his god damm skull for taking so long to do it........ i think its save to say he brings out my anger...... all of it

Last edited:

BangB420

Dec 11, 2021
Doesn't work at all, try install reinstalling, on C drive. Just freezes my comp and displays Application Load Error S:000006542

MusouA12

Aug 25, 2021
I don't think installing the game on drive C or D or anything else will be affected, because I put the game folder in drive D, and the game runs normally. Then I moved the "MuvLuv_DirectorsCut.exe" file to the game main folder, and install it directly and not through the weird "ages.reg" file (I believe the legit users also install it directly and not through the "ages.reg" file because the original patch only had one file called "MuvLuv_DirectorsCut.exe", no "ages.reg").

After applying the fix patch for win10, I was able to run Muv Luv without any problems.
*Note: Currently my pc is running win10 21h2

I see in the comments some people report that H scenes are not played in the game, I'll check it out later.
Screenshot_17491.png

Last edited:

Game Bond

Nov 20, 2019
I don't think installing the game on drive C or D or anything else will be affected, because I put the game folder in drive D, and the game runs normally. Then I moved the "MuvLuv_DirectorsCut.exe" file to the game main folder, and install it directly and not through the weird "ages.reg" file (I believe the legit users also install it directly and not through the "ages.reg" file because the original patch only had one file called "MuvLuv_DirectorsCut.exe", no "ages.reg").

After applying the fix patch for win10, I was able to run Muv Luv without any problems.
*Note: Currently my pc is running win10 21h2

I see in the comments some people report that H scenes are not played in the game, I'll check it out later.
View attachment 2766569
So do H scenes play?

dderp921

May 23, 2023
I figured out what's causing the issue with the DLLs. You need the Visual Studio 2010 x86 redistributable, then you need to copy the DLLs to the game folder. The x64 versions unfortunately don't work, for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuberFF

RuberFF

Sep 27, 2018
Man, I'm so glad this version of the game has the patch xD I was gonna buy it on steam but once I've seen I have to buy the "UNCESORED PATCH" for my already-bought game, I was livid

Does this version has Alternative and the other expansions?

Sep 12, 2021
Man, I'm so glad this version of the game has the patch xD I was gonna buy it on steam but once I've seen I have to buy the "UNCESORED PATCH" for my already-bought game, I was livid
I never buy visual novels on Steam.
Does this version has Alternative and the other expansions?
This version contains only Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Unlimited.

4.40 star(s) 5 Votes