Roido

Jul 29, 2018
Is this the type of game where you can't just skip everything till the options come up? Like if you skip, I'm gonna miss out on options and scenes?

peas

Jul 31, 2018
Tired of doing the same thing day after day. I have tried every combination I can think of and still can't finish level 10. 34/35 The gallery shows all pics unlocked, but can't progress. Frustrating. And the fly is a terrible idea.

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
Hi, I get this error message every time I want to display the solutions.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1484, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1487, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1489, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1495, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1500, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1502, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1503, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1504, in execute
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1504, in keywords
  File "game/gallery.rpy", line 1505, in <module>
NameError: name 'mtt' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3101, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3512, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 567, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 432, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3512, in <lambda>
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 443, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 631, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
My best friend's daughter 11.32
Thu Aug 12 00:07:35 2021

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Just me or will there be another
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
in the game?
I don't like games where the protagonist is not man enough and shares his girls with others.
I was waiting for the game to be earlier to start, and I took a look at the screenshots, and I saw this.
Anyone who is already following, could you tell me if this is the direction the game will take?
The only dick in there is the player character. The fly doesn't get any action unless you count being swatted and killed. But one thing that does happen is the girls frequently touch each other's breasts. If that's too much for you to handle, then you have my condolences.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
So I just finished doing a little code analysis to see how this dev is kiting us around through a limited set of events, times and locations to meet the conditions for getting into the next episode. I was only into episode 2 and not particularly wanting to wait for another 30 some odd events to trigger. This thing should seriously be called "My Best Friend's Daughter's Groundhog Day"

I should first note that I run Linux and have rpatool and unrpyc installed. When I download and unpack a Renpy game, the very first thing I do is go into its game directory to unpack and trash any rpa archives that devs use to hide their content:

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux/game $ find . -name "*.rpa" -exec ~/rpatool/rpatool -x {} \;
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux/game $ find . -name "*.rpa" -exec rm {} \;
Usually this is all I have to do before continuing on. However some devs also hold back their rpy sources, only delivering the bytecode rpyc files in their download. So I may have to run unrpyc to decompile the bytecode files and regenerate the rpy sources like this:

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux/game $ unrpyc .py  .
And yes, I did have to do this with this VN. Mac folk probably have the same sort of tool suite and setup with rpatool and unrpyc as I have on Linux, but I'm sure a vanishing number of that community even knows they have a bash shell in there nowadays. Winders folk can do something similiar with UnRen, but I have no need to figure out how Renpy stuff works over there.

Next step is checking to see if the dev has performed asshattery with rollback.

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux/game $ find . -name "*.rpy" -exec grep -iH "rollback" {} \;
Devs have all sorts of tricks up their sleeve trying to disable rollback, but I won't go into it here because at least this dev hasn't sabotaged it in any way. A quick look at options.rpy in an editor shows that they haven't done anything stupid with remapping keys to the NullAction routine, a fairly common way to sabotage the console even when it is enabled by remapping shift-O and esc to stupid things or nothingness (looking at you most Japanese Renpy game devs). Better devs will often have stanza's in here to set console and/or debug mode to False that you can quickly flip back to True in order to enable debug and console for yourself. This dev doesn't do that, so I fell back to a tried and true method of re-enabling the console by editing a file in the renpy runtime that comes with the game:

Code:
cd ..
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux $  nano renpy/common/00console.rpy
Going into the nano editor, I look for this section of code in there

Code:
    # If true, the console is enabled despite config.developer being False.
    config.console = False
I set config.console = True and save out the file. Now I'm ready to run the game.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
So if your eyes haven't glazed over from all that and can now follow along with your own source tree, here's what I found.

There's a set of flags "episode1", "episode2", "episode3", etc that are set to one as the player transitions to that episode. The "Bookmarks xx / yy" gadget at the top left of the island map gui should probably actually be called "Events" instead. The xx there is actually stored in the variable "events". Since I was at event number 43 or so out of the 74 threshold needed for episode 3, I wanted to grep through the source code to find the statement "episode3 = 1". That turned out to be in this section of code in main.rpy:

Code:
    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and events >= 74:
        $ episode3 = 1
        $ events = 0
    call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_7
    return
So if you are wondering about what might be needed to force your way into the next episode, look in main.rpy for the corresponding episodeN = 1. Note you will probably want to have a certain lower level of shy and a minimum level of love with Juliet before jumping into the console and setting events to meet the check (74 in this case to go to episode 3).

A quick grep on "episode3" in the game folder showed that I probably wanted to be shy below 85 and love at somewhere between 15 and 25. I had love at 20 and shy at 80 through both honest and nefarious means when I jumped into the console on the night of day 6 and set events=74. Next thing I know, "Hello Episode 3".

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux/game $  find . -name "*.rpy" -exec grep -iH "episode3" {} \;
./game/drinks.rpy:                            if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/drinks.rpy:                            if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/episode_shift.rpy:    if episode4 == 0 and episode3 == 1 and events >= 63:
./game/episode_shift.rpy:    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and events >= 74:
./game/episode_shift.rpy:        $ episode3 = 1
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 15 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 84 and julia_bath == 0 and swimsuit == 3:
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour == 19 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 80 and sunburn_help == 0:
./game/house_left.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/house_left.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour >= 13 and hour <= 17 and episode3 == 1 and naked_yoga == 0:
./game/house_left.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/house_left.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour == 17 and episode3 == 1:
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour == 18 and episode3 == 1 and episode7 == 0:
./game/house_left.rpy:            if episode3 == 1:
./game/house_left.rpy:            if episode3 == 0:
./game/house_left.rpy:    if hour >= 9 and hour <= 16 and yoga == 0 and episode3 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 15 and hour <= 19 and episode3 == 1 and rocks == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 14 and episode3 == 1 and e3_54 == 0 and e3_60 == 1 and ida_shy <= 92:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 16 and hour <= 19 and ida_beach == 0 and episode3 == 1 and e3_29 == 1 and episode7 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/other_island.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 13 and hour <= 19 and swimsuit == 3 and episode3 == 1 and e3_56 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:                            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/other_island.rpy:                            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 13 and hour <= 19 and swimsuit == 3 and episode3 == 1 and e3_56 == 1 and e3_57 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour > 10 and hour <= 14 and episode3 == 1 and beach_scene_other_island == 0 and beach_girls == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 14 and episode3 == 1 and beach_scene_other_island == 0 and beach_girls == 1:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 14 and episode3 == 1 and beach_scene_other_island == 0 and beach_girls == 2:
./game/other_island.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/other_island.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/other_island.rpy:                if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/other_island.rpy:                if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/other_island.rpy:    if hour >= 9 and hour <= 13 and episode3 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:                        if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/other_island.rpy:                        if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/other_island.rpy:        if pearls_given == 1 and episode3 == 0 and episode10 == 0:
./game/other_island.rpy:                if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/other_island.rpy:                if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/boardwalk.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 13 and episode3 == 1 and nightdress <= 4:
./game/boardwalk.rpy:    if hour >= 23 and hour <= 24 and episode3 == 1:
./game/boardwalk.rpy:    if hour <= 16 and pearls_given == 1 and e2_29 == 1 and episode3 == 0:
./game/boardwalk.rpy:    if hour <= 14 and episode2 == 1 and episode3 == 0:
./game/script.rpy:default episode3 = 0
./game/event_reset.rpy:    $ episode3 = 0
./game/event_reset.rpy:    $ episode3 = 1
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and events >= 63:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and ida_shy <= 85:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and maria_shy <= 85:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and ida_love >= 25:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and maria_love >= 25:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode2 == 1 and episode3 == 0:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1 and julia_drown == 1:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 1:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 0:
./game/main.rpy:    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and events >= 74:
./game/main.rpy:        $ episode3 = 1
./game/bedroom.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 15 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 80 and julia_bath == 0 and swimsuit == 3:
./game/bedroom.rpy:    if hour == 23 and episode3 == 1:
./game/bedroom.rpy:    if hour == 19 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 80:
./game/bedroom.rpy:    if hour == 24 and nightdress == 3 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 82:
./game/bedroom.rpy:    if hour == 8 and episode3 == 1 and e3_28 == 0:
./game/bedroom.rpy:                        if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/bedroom.rpy:                        if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/kitchen.rpy:                    if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/kitchen.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/beach.rpy:    if hour >= 16 and hour <= 19 and naked_yoga == 1 and episode3 == 1 and e4_18 == 0 and e4_17 == 0:
./game/beach.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 16 and swimsuit == 3 and episode3 == 1 and beach_sunlotion == 0 and sunburn_help == 0:
./game/beach.rpy:    if hour >= 22 and hour <= 23 and episode3 == 1 and dress == 8 and swim_naked23 == 0:
./game/beach.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 17 and episode3 == 1 and swimsuit == 3 and box_jellyfish == 0:
./game/beach.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 13 and episode3 == 1 and swimsuit == 2 and e3_7 == 0:
./game/beach.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 1 and love >= 10:
./game/beach.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 1 and love >= 20:
./game/beach.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 1 and love >= 20:
./game/beach.rpy:                            if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/beach.rpy:                            if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/ida_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 1 and ida_shy >= 76:
./game/ida_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and ida_shy >= 86:
./game/maria_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/maria_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/maria_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/maria_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/maria_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/maria_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/breakfast.rpy:            if help == 1 and e3_29 == 0 and episode3 == 1:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                        if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                        if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                        if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                        if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                    if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/julia_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/julia_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/julia_events.rpy:            if episode3 == 1:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 1 and love <= 24:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                                    if episode3 == 0 and love <= 14:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                            if episode3 == 1 and shy >= 76:
./game/julia_events.rpy:                            if episode3 == 0 and episode2 == 1 and shy >= 86:
./game/bathroom.rpy:    if hour == 19 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 80:
./game/bathroom.rpy:    if hour >= 10 and hour <= 15 and episode3 == 1 and shy <= 84 and julia_bath == 0 and swimsuit == 3:

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I had a save from what I think was version 0.15, but that was probably from before the gallery code even underwent development. My speculation was that this stuff never worked in the first place, because I've jumped from that to the current release. Maybe a game save from a version in between those two might work, but I'm not holding my breath.

I figured I'd try this dumpster fire of a game again to see if it even works in the free version. Looks like it does not work if you start a fresh save since I'm seeing reports of the variable "mtt" not being defined on line 1600 in the gallery.rpy file. It just says "add mtt" and that can either be changed to define mtt or it should be defined before adding it. So what should it be defined as?
In my opinion, it would be better to offer a patch file and not have to re-download the entire game. Or someone could give instructions on how to fix it for those of us who can understand it.
In the meantime, I'll slowly try this version out with hints enabled and see how it goes. Wish me well since I'm familiar with RfR. o_O

Roido

Jul 29, 2018
Does anyone have another walkthrough cause the one they have right now doesn't seem to be in the right order or maybe changed?

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Based on this it would appear to be dead code since it is only ever set to 0 or 1 and not checked in an if-then statement anywhere.

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux $ find . -name "*.rpy" -exec grep -iH "unlock_game" {} \;
./game/boardwalk.rpy:        $ unlock_game = 1
./game/script.rpy:default unlock_game = 0
./game/event_reset.rpy:    $ unlock_game = 0

Anyone have any clue what the "unlock_game" varible in saves do?

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Welcome to Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like. You just can't ever leave.

It would appear that the Episode cap is currently at 10 since ep9 is the last level shift (9 -> 10) in main.rpy based on this grep search:

Code:
Mybestfriendsdaughter-11.32-linux $ find . -name "*.rpy" -exec grep -iH "episode_shift" {} \;
./game/episode_shift.rpy:label episode_shift:
./game/main.rpy:                call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_8
./game/main.rpy:                call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift
./game/main.rpy:                call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_1
./game/main.rpy:            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_2
./game/main.rpy:            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_3
./game/main.rpy:            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_4
./game/main.rpy:            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_5
./game/main.rpy:            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_6
./game/main.rpy:    call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_9
./game/main.rpy:    call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_7
If there was a statement that looked something like "call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_10" in that result, then you probably would have been able to move to Episode 11 after doing all of the proper "bell, book and candle" groveling. Instead it looks like you are basically done until dev decices to drop a release 11.nn > 11.32 that finally implements the level bump.

prob not the same but cant move to epi 11 just get loop back to 10 with 35/35
not work, i have save from last version 34/35 - all event unlock at v10 but cant continue ... some help ?

MaK1N

Aug 14, 2019
screenshot0001.png
when i chosse Julia
it give me Error ?
i'm new to this game so it's 1st day

Code:
[code]

While running game code:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()

Full traceback:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
    callback(self)
    self.update()

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Thu Aug 12 03:02:05 2021
[/CODE]

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
View attachment 1348028
when i chosse Julia
it give me Error ?
i'm new to this game so it's 1st day

Code:
[code]

While running game code:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()

Full traceback:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()
    callback(self)
    self.update()

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Thu Aug 12 03:02:05 2021
[/CODE]
When you click on the bottom right on the portrait it is the solution area, I have exactly the same error message. Since this section is not available because of a bug, you will have to turn on the different sections a little bit at random or follow some clues in the texts. Basically the game is in hard mode instead of normal mode.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
So now I'm in Episode 3 and I'm already impatient to move on to 4 and did a bit more of a dive into why there are so many events around the Groundhog Day Daughter game. The dev is using a set of variables e3_n that flip from 0 to 1 to indicate that one of these many events have fired for Ep3. There are a legion of eX_N variables out there where X is the episode or level and N is the event number.

So why so many e3 thingees? A quick grep suggests that these are all permutations of basic event, time of day, perspective (mc, Julia or fly) and whatever freekin dress she's wearing (dress = 1 to 10?) . So Ima gonna say FDS (aka Fuck Dat Shit) and blast 63 into the events variable after being only a couple of days into Ep3 in order to go to 4:

Code:
    if episode3 == 1 and episode4 == 0 and events >= 63:
        $ events = 63
        $ episode = 3
        if hour == 24:
            call episode_shift from _call_episode_shift_6
There was a poor user a few pages back wondering why they were stuck in Ep3. If they see this, I might suggest that they follow my lead by jumping into the console to set "events=63" and then go to sleep. They probably missed a fly event somewhere or another when somebody was wearing a certain dress. I also had shy at 75 and love at 25 at this point.

Hello Ep4. Here's to the new boss, same as the old boss....

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
Did anyone figure out how to get Episode 11 to trigger? I'm at the end of Episode 10 with 35/35 complete, select change to new episode - 11 and it takes ne back to where I was. Episode 10 35/35. I don't know coding well enough to figure this out, but I see episode 11 called out in the script. Maybe it's in some other file where it can be triggered or are we just buggered at this point?

Edit - opened the gallery.rpy and while the blank images show in the game I find no Episode 11 images called out there...not sure what is going on...

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
Did anyone figure out how to get Episode 11 to trigger? I'm at the end of Episode 10 with 35/35 complete, select change to new episode - 11 and it takes ne back to where I was. Episode 10 35/35. I don't know coding well enough to figure this out, but I see episode 11 called out in the script. Maybe it's in some other file where it can be triggered or are we just buggered at this point?

Edit - opened the gallery.rpy and while the blank images show in the game I find no Episode 11 images called out there...not sure what is going on...
'Skip to another episode is still in alpha mode. Just skip day and you'll be in next episode

Reactions: Hoboy

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
Dev has gone overboard with a series hard paused credit screens in the front and a really annoying 30 second pause shilling their patreon page when the user attempts to quit. So I unpacked and decompiled their script and ripped all of that shit out. Put this in your game directory if you want to avoid all of this.

Dear devs: I might respect your shit if you let me hit return or click to skip your pauses. But if you put Hard=True in, I'm ripping your shit right out.
Why don't you just hit TAB?

2.50 star(s) 92 Votes