VN Ren'Py Abandoned My Boss's Daughter [v0.2] [RocketGirlGames]

3.30 star(s) 4 Votes
Oct 30, 2020
Hey guys, DEV here. First I just want to say thanks to all of you for commenting on v0.1 of My Boss's Daughter. I'm reading every one of them. I appreciate all the feedback!

Just so you know, this isn't my thread. Whoever is pirating (arg!) the game is the host of the thread so the tags for the thread/game may be inaccurate as the story develops.

To all the comments regarding this story being familiar trope or "just like all the others out there". Yeah, honestly that is my intent. It's my first game so I wanted to make it relatively mainstream with a pretty standard storyline. Mainly so I can get a feel for the whole VN community/culture/whatever. I have about a dozen ideas for future games that will revolve around other, less mainstream, topics.

Story choices:
I've been thinking hard about what I want in-game choices to be. It's a rather difficult topic to decide on and I've seen too many VN's do in-game choices poorly. Some VN's only have either the RIGHT choice or GAME OVER choice for every interaction. Other games seem to either have no effect from their choices, making your choice meaningless, or one simple choice really early on in the game has massive implications WAY down the line, forcing you to replay potentially hours of gameplay to redo an incorrect choice.

I didn't like these options so as I continue with the game, my in-game choices are going to revolve mainly around whether you want to watch certain graphical scenes and how you want relationships with side characters to progress. So you can skip scenes you don't want to participate in. For example, if you don't like Liz, you can skip all the scenes with her. Or if a particular sexual act you don't really like, you can skip that as well. You'll be able to make those choices.

You know how you get me to swear to never donate to a game? Hold it hostage with a message at the beginning saying that you need more donors before you'll put out more content.

Like "Well, I'm never giving you any money, because next month my money won't be enough for you either."
You make a good point here. While I'll likely keep the splash screen, I should make sure to acknowledge my existing supporters. Like you say, you don't want to make the people that are already supporting you feel unappreciated.

Unfortunately, this isn't about holding anything hostage though. It's simply a matter of economics. As of v0.1 release I have invested about 250 hours of labor and $500 worth of purchased assets to get this game where it is (hardly even started). That's about 6 weeks worth of 40 hour work weeks. I'm not looking for enough supporters to cover even a small portion of that. 10 - $5 tier supporters is only $50 a month. That doesn't even cover my asset purchases.

What it is, is a metric to show me that people are actually interested in the game and want to keep seeing more. That tells me "hey they like what you are doing" and that will prompt me to want to continue. If no one signs up to my SubscribeStar as I keep putting more and more effort into this game I'm going to start wondering if it's even worth it, you know? Wouldn't it be better to move to another VN story that more people might be interested in? I have plenty of stories, so it's not like I'm going to stop producing VN's. I just want to make VN's that people like. Or, that are at least are good enough to justify to some small degree the massive amount of time and effort I put into them. As a developer, I'm sure you struggle with the same issues.

How do you convince people to help support your game so you can justify the amount of time and money that goes into making it? I'm more than happy to change that little feature if there is a better way bring people to my SubscribeStar though. So any ideas are appreciated.

Mistakes:
If anyone sees any spelling mistakes or notices any problems with the game. Or just wants to help out with playtesting or whatever, shoot me a message here or hit my website and send me an email. I stare at the code all day long so I'm sure there are a few things I've become blind to and miss.

I enjoy all your comments (both positive and negative). Honestly I never expected so much interaction with my game so early in its development. I do take all your comments into consideration so please feel free to keep leaving them. Some things I just wont be able to do simply because it's not within the scope of the story as it is planned. However, as I mentioned earlier, I do have other VN stories planned so they could show up there.

Thank you all!
RGG

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
I didn't like these options so as I continue with the game, my in-game choices are going to revolve mainly around whether you want to watch certain graphical scenes and how you want relationships with side characters to progress. So you can skip scenes you don't want to participate in. For example, if you don't like Liz, you can skip all the scenes with her. Or if a particular sexual act you don't really like, you can skip that as well. You'll be able to make those choices.
will those skipped scenes still happen just not seen or wont happen and we can just focus on 1 grl

Oct 30, 2020
will those skipped scenes still happen just not seen or wont happen and we can just focus on 1 grl
That's a good question. My aim will be that they wont happen so you can just focus on 1 girl (or the girls that you like). Basically I think what I'll do is add a relationship dialogue option so you can elect to not pursue the other women (hell or maybe even guys if you want lol)

Moleman111

Oct 15, 2019
That's a good question. My aim will be that they wont happen so you can just focus on 1 girl (or the girls that you like). Basically I think what I'll do is add a relationship dialogue option so you can elect to not pursue the other women (hell or maybe even guys if you want lol)
So will this be a harem path or will dating and banging multiple girls have consequences?

The renders are good, though the mothers face needs work maybe streamlining it a little to be more feminine, but overall not too bad

Honga

Jan 31, 2019
I didnt test the game. I just checked out the preview images and the thread for some popcorn consuming related stuff.
Many people ask, why the MILF looks so weird, AND HERE IS THE ANSWER:

Without a doubt, the milf-model is custom-made and for sure based on some real-life person. The model looks mediocre in every aspect, and thats exactly what people IRL do.
I assume its a DEV's lost real-life love :)

Oct 30, 2020
First thing you should get a dev tag, second you can get the ownership of the thread, and third what are the actual tags of the game including future ones?
It's on my to-do list but I'm focusing my efforts on making my VN and communicating. Everything else I intentionally make a low priority because for me I can get WAY to distracted by the side stuff and never get the main stuff finished. As for tags, I don't really know, I haven't really looked at the tags to find out. Though now with v0.1 out it should be enough information to establish the appropriate tags (for the most part).

And just like that I suddenly have no more interest in her. Honestly, what was the point of this? :unsure:
Primarily, I wasn't aware virgins were a popular topic. Though, based on the number of similar responses like this I'm getting the hint that it is.

However, one of my main author rules I abide by is "write what you know" and honestly I have no experience with virgins (other than myself of course, but I doubt anyone wants me to write about that lol). I tend to avoid writing topics about things I haven't experienced because I feel I could only make a caricature of the subject and not an authentic representation.

And I'm not really into the idea of graphical cherry popping. Not trying to kink shame anyone here. It's just not my thing. Though I'm not above working on someone else's VN that had it. Or, if I could skip the graphical aspect of this, then I'd probably think about incorporating true virgins into my VN's.

With all that being said, I intended for Melissa to have this limited sexual experience because I wanted her to be wary of further relations with men. Part of her lack of self confidence stems from the fact that the one time she's been physical with someone ended up "turning him gay".

We need more of boss's wife
So I have some (possibly) good news and some bad news here.

I never intended for the mom to actually be a character for the MC to go after. When I started rendering her images I was like "oh damn, that's some chin on her..." but then I was like "well it doesnt matter much for her to be fugly, she's not really involved in the story in the long term."

Of course enough people have mentioned her that I have considered bringing her in as a more important character but am ultimately deciding against it for two reasons.

1) My Boss's Daughter is not going to be a super long VN. Maybe 10-14 chapters total. I want to keep this story relatively short as I have other projects I want to work on and don't want this one to drag out for years and years.

2) Bringing her in as a main character I fear would drastically derail point #1. It would detract too much from the main story line. It's apparent that many people would be playing the game just for her and would want more and more of the VN to revolve around her.

The good news is, she does have a sister with a story of her own ;) (assuming there is enough interest!)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
I feel I could only make a caricature of the subject and not an authentic representation.
If you need reference material on how to set up a scene for the cherry popping, as you called it, maybe check out the games
My New Family and Now & Then both have first time sex in them and are good examples of how to make the scenes work, the only negative for you would be that both games are made with Honey Select and not in Daz.

bikdik123alphaxd

Jan 26, 2020
However, one of my main author rules I abide by is "write what you know" and honestly I have no experience with virgins (other than myself of course, but I doubt anyone wants me to write about that lol). I tend to avoid writing topics about things I haven't experienced because I feel I could only make a caricature of the subject and not an authentic representation.

You don't even have to write her as a virgin just don't ever mention ex's or experience, you just dumped your entire loli audience with that one line good job lmao

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
Primarily, I wasn't aware virgins were a popular topic. Though, based on the number of similar responses like this I'm getting the hint that it is.

With all that being said, I intended for Melissa to have this limited sexual experience because I wanted her to be wary of further relations with men. Part of her lack of self confidence stems from the fact that the one time she's been physical with someone ended up "turning him gay".

So I have some (possibly) good news and some bad news here.

I never intended for the mom to actually be a character for the MC to go after. When I started rendering her images I was like "oh damn, that's some chin on her..." but then I was like "well it doesnt matter much for her to be fugly, she's not really involved in the story in the long term."

Of course enough people have mentioned her that I have considered bringing her in as a more important character but am ultimately deciding against it for two reasons.

1) My Boss's Daughter is not going to be a super long VN. Maybe 10-14 chapters total. I want to keep this story relatively short as I have other projects I want to work on and don't want this one to drag out for years and years.

2) Bringing her in as a main character I fear would drastically derail point #1. It would detract too much from the main story line. It's apparent that many people would be playing the game just for her and would want more and more of the VN to revolve around her.
I "got it", I had no issues with her "technically" not being a virgin.

On the second point, I mean it's your game but I gotta disagree. I really dug the wife and drunken "oops" moments with her. And what could more emasculating than cucking your boss with his wife while diddling his daughter! :devilish::devilish::devilish:

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HansDampf788

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
RocketGirlGames Make sure to message a Mod about getting the Game Dev title like you see under my name.

Also, I love your game so far, looking forward to the next update.

3.30 star(s) 4 Votes