• Lily

• Freya

• Klara

• Naomi

• Moon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
It would be a good joke, except for the fact that dozens of developers of popular AVN games decide once they get a few thousand a month on Patreon, to milk their fans to death by performing years or even multiple years of reworking all their old content, never while splitting their time generating any new content of course, because of ...reasons, Heavy Five, Murmur, Summer's Gone, WIAB, cough, cough.

It's less a joke, than a cliche. Right up their with my video card died or my dog ate my homework.

Last edited:

VinnneV

Jul 20, 2023
It would be a good joke, except for the fact that dozens of developers of popular AVN games decide once they get a few thousand a month on Patreon, to milk their fans to death by performing years or even multiple years of reworking all their old content, never while splitting their time generating any new content of course, because of ...reasons, Heavy Five, Murmur, Summer's Gone, WIAB, cough, cough.

It's less a joke, than a cliche. Right up their with my video card died or my dog ate my homework.
Summertime saga... What? Did you say something? I did not hear anything.

Ciaran8023

Jun 4, 2018
Alright so I've played it through to the latest update and everything, figured I'd drop my thoughts.

I will say right off the bat that I am someone who inherently dislikes overarching doomsday plots where the MC basically ends up being a pawn for a large part of it; participating in plans unbeknownst to everyone except the people he should be able to trust. Regardless of how this is framed, I truly dislike this kind of premise, mainly due to my own personal experiences with betrayal and dishonesty. On top of this, it's so difficult to maintain suspension of belief when I've been around organized crime in my youth and I know how fast someone like MC would've just been fucking murdered if the plot followed realism, but again, more just personal pet peeve.

The humour in the game is top notch, has some good references (
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
) and overall the character writing is extremely good excluding a few characters;
Aine - despite being basically the titular character, she just falls extremely flat for me. She's also someone who owes the most towards the MC yet has done nothing to even attempt to make it up to him (unless I somehow tripped a "no route" flag before she even realized that the MC was the one she bullied, which would be weird on the devs side) and she just feels like she has no substance. It's like she's just the stereotypical "overly kind, timid" character and doesn't stray outside those bounds. Also, just the fact that she was a MASSIVE piece of shit to the MC is enough for me to not be interested.

Hera - I mean what's there to say here? Even though the dev will undoubtedly somehow spring a "but it really wasn't her fault!" type deal in order to redeem her, but I truly cannot ever forgive a character that is willing to just permanently destroy their children whether be it physically or mentally (or in Aine's case, fucking both considering the unwanted marriage since that also implies intimacy without consent). Truly if I had the choice, I'd just put a bullet in her head.

Gwen - For some reason she just feels like such a side-character compared to everyone else. She hasn't really stood out to me at all, and besides some small tidbits here and there, there's no real substance behind her being a raging alcoholic with personality issues. Maybe I again somehow tripped a "no route" flag here in the first like 20 minutes of the game or some shit, but she just feels superfluous.

On another note, there are also some characters that have some of the best writing I've seen out of nearly any VN I've played and those characters being a joy whenever they're on the screen as you can almost always count on them being there instead of a script, if that makes sense, meaning that they feel more like genuine and alive.

Emy/Emma - Just an incredibly sad story overall, her character toes the line of insecurity and emotional issues in a very real way despite the somewhat unrealistic circumstances. She doesn't force her ideals or wants onto MC which is admirable. She's not someone I'd ever consider an LI for my playthroughs given that again, she did some horrendous shit to the MC while knowing who he was and also involved him in a fucked up plan without his consent.

Freya - Not really someone I can see as an LI either since she just looks young as fuck, but again just a really well written character with how she's struggling with her own personal demons in a very realistic way, plus she's a bit of a weirdo but in a good way.

Lily - Honestly just really like her for her simplicity, she's basically just a regular person dealing with her own problems and flaws yet does her best and doesn't let anything bring her down, aswell as trying to push herself out of her comfort zone.

I will say that, given the glimpses of brilliance I've seen within a fair few of the characters, I feel like if the dev made a game focusing on interpersonal relationships more instead of overarching doomsday plots, that his skill with character development and having that drive the MC's narrative along with some minor overarching plots would end up being an absolute hit and a half. I am however saying this out of bias as, again, dislike the whole doomsday plots.

Now for my final words, the unarguable best girl of this entire game and someone whom I'd absolutely go for given the chance;
Runner up goes to Naomi. Straight-man behaviour and to the point with a slight bit of tease, and I have a bit of a bias as I am a mechanic/handy-man in real life aswell.

Sergiv2001

Jul 1, 2020
can anyone provide me the link to the compressed version?
See the post by Bob69 on page 257:

My Bully Is My Lover [Ch1 Ep3 Part 2] [NiiChan] - Compressed

Use at your own risk. NiiChan What's up with those 100MB webms? :HideThePain:

Win/Linux [1,45 GB]
- MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN

Mac [1,44 GB]
- MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN

Reactions: IzumiggG and Bob69

VinnneV

Jul 20, 2023
Alright so I've played it through to the latest update and everything, figured I'd drop my thoughts.

I will say right off the bat that I am someone who inherently dislikes overarching doomsday plots where the MC basically ends up being a pawn for a large part of it; participating in plans unbeknownst to everyone except the people he should be able to trust. Regardless of how this is framed, I truly dislike this kind of premise, mainly due to my own personal experiences with betrayal and dishonesty. On top of this, it's so difficult to maintain suspension of belief when I've been around organized crime in my youth and I know how fast someone like MC would've just been fucking murdered if the plot followed realism, but again, more just personal pet peeve.

The humour in the game is top notch, has some good references (
) and overall the character writing is extremely good excluding a few characters;
Aine - despite being basically the titular character, she just falls extremely flat for me. She's also someone who owes the most towards the MC yet has done nothing to even attempt to make it up to him (unless I somehow tripped a "no route" flag before she even realized that the MC was the one she bullied, which would be weird on the devs side) and she just feels like she has no substance. It's like she's just the stereotypical "overly kind, timid" character and doesn't stray outside those bounds. Also, just the fact that she was a MASSIVE piece of shit to the MC is enough for me to not be interested.

Hera - I mean what's there to say here? Even though the dev will undoubtedly somehow spring a "but it really wasn't her fault!" type deal in order to redeem her, but I truly cannot ever forgive a character that is willing to just permanently destroy their children whether be it physically or mentally (or in Aine's case, fucking both considering the unwanted marriage since that also implies intimacy without consent). Truly if I had the choice, I'd just put a bullet in her head.

Gwen - For some reason she just feels like such a side-character compared to everyone else. She hasn't really stood out to me at all, and besides some small tidbits here and there, there's no real substance behind her being a raging alcoholic with personality issues. Maybe I again somehow tripped a "no route" flag here in the first like 20 minutes of the game or some shit, but she just feels superfluous.

On another note, there are also some characters that have some of the best writing I've seen out of nearly any VN I've played and those characters being a joy whenever they're on the screen as you can almost always count on them being there instead of a script, if that makes sense, meaning that they feel more like genuine and alive.

Emy/Emma - Just an incredibly sad story overall, her character toes the line of insecurity and emotional issues in a very real way despite the somewhat unrealistic circumstances. She doesn't force her ideals or wants onto MC which is admirable. She's not someone I'd ever consider an LI for my playthroughs given that again, she did some horrendous shit to the MC while knowing who he was and also involved him in a fucked up plan without his consent.

Freya - Not really someone I can see as an LI either since she just looks young as fuck, but again just a really well written character with how she's struggling with her own personal demons in a very realistic way, plus she's a bit of a weirdo but in a good way.

Lily - Honestly just really like her for her simplicity, she's basically just a regular person dealing with her own problems and flaws yet does her best and doesn't let anything bring her down, aswell as trying to push herself out of her comfort zone.

I will say that, given the glimpses of brilliance I've seen within a fair few of the characters, I feel like if the dev made a game focusing on interpersonal relationships more instead of overarching doomsday plots, that his skill with character development and having that drive the MC's narrative along with some minor overarching plots would end up being an absolute hit and a half. I am however saying this out of bias as, again, dislike the whole doomsday plots.

Now for my final words, the unarguable best girl of this entire game and someone whom I'd absolutely go for given the chance;
Runner up goes to Naomi. Straight-man behaviour and to the point with a slight bit of tease, and I have a bit of a bias as I am a mechanic/handy-man in real life aswell.
First of all, I don't want to cause any confusion, it's just my opinion and I would like to show a different view from yours, I read your review and there are some points that I don't agree with, especially in relation to certain characters.

And the point of the game was always to tell a story, it never wanted to cling to reality, and you can see that in its tropes so you have to have a certain suspension of disbelief. My Bully Is My Lover deals with many themes, such as love and hate, family ties, consequences, forgiveness, death, cycle, freedom, but in my opinion the biggest theme of this game is purpose. When you analyze the characters from this perspective, you begin to notice a certain similarity between them.

Aine - Aine was created and molded by Hera to do something, something she was afraid of becoming, with a purpose, a purpose she didn't want. Aine simply didn't want to get close to anyone because she would be treated like a tool in her mother's plans, she didn't want to anymore and this is very evident when she meets the MC, she's a lonely character, she has no friends apart from Emma. And when she finally finds someone, she has to push them away and hurt them against their will, when she meets the MC again she faces the consequences of her more sober side. The character's turning point is when she tries to understand who she is, facing her mother, showing that her life couldn't necessarily be like that, and when she decides to face her mother, she starts to think about a tomorrow she never imagined, alongside the protagonist.

Hera - She shouldn't be forgiven, what she did is unjustifiable, it's understanding of her tragedy, she's a woman who has been mentally destroyed over time, lost her husband and her newborn son in a horrible way, a character who makes you wonder if revenge is worth it, and at what cost? Everything she did was for the purpose of revenge because, for her, it was the only way to reach those who had hurt her, a way of trying to deal with her pain. Hera was once a good person, she loved Emma's mother as a normal human being, not as a simple maid. And the tragedy of the character is to see how she ended up, in this blind quest for revenge.

Gwen - She was a girl who, at first glance, you would think is impetuous and unafraid to do what she wants, but she was totally stopped from following her own path because of her mother, like Aine, the difference was that she had a father to count on, her purpose was always to look for what would make her have fun but obviously she never went after what she wanted, like confessing to the MC, and not succeeding. When she puts this fear aside, she finally decides to take charge of her life, deciding to fight for the MC but also for the lost ties with her mother.

Emma - Her mother had died, she was alone, and when she finally met again with the person who would be the great love of her life, he already belonged to someone else, her love, her purpose, was no longer hers. How painful it is to be close to someone you love, without being able to hug, without being able to feel, because you have already made a choice. Emma is an extremely interesting character, both in the solo journey and in the main journey, as she not only finds the courage to fight for the people she loves but she starts to fight for herself, for her dreams.

Moon - An orphan girl thrown into a war she never asked to be in. Transformed to become a killing tool, with the sole purpose of serving, without freedom or showing feelings like crying, because it would make your eyes bleed. And when the war ended, she had lost her friends and her purpose, I find what My Bully Is My Lover brings interesting, because the war ended, so what? Moon didn't think about a different scenario because she was trained for that, it's sad, but it's like she didn't have a purpose after the war. She finally begins to understand that her purpose is hers to decide, and decides to choose to love/serve the MC and live for her friends.

Last edited:

NiiChan

Donor
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Moon - An orphan girl thrown into a war she never asked to be in. Transformed to become a killing tool, with the sole purpose of serving, without freedom or showing feelings like crying, because it would make your eyes bleed. And when the war ended, she had lost her friends and her purpose, I find what My Bully Is My Lover brings interesting, because the war ended, so what? Moon didn't think about a different scenario because she was trained for that, it's sad, but it's like she didn't have a purpose after the war. She finally begins to understand that her purpose is hers to decide, and decides to choose to love/serve the MC and live for her friends.

IzumiggG

Oct 27, 2023
First of all, I don't want to cause any confusion, it's just my opinion and I would like to show a different view from yours, I read your review and there are some points that I don't agree with, especially in relation to certain characters.

And the point of the game was always to tell a story, it never wanted to cling to reality, and you can see that in its tropes so you have to have a certain suspension of disbelief. My Bully Is My Lover deals with many themes, such as love and hate, family ties, consequences, forgiveness, death, cycle, freedom, but in my opinion the biggest theme of this game is purpose. When you analyze the characters from this perspective, you begin to notice a certain similarity between them.

Aine - Aine was created and molded by Hera to do something, something she was afraid of becoming, with a purpose, a purpose she didn't want. Aine simply didn't want to get close to anyone because she would be treated like a tool in her mother's plans, she didn't want to anymore and this is very evident when she meets the MC, she's a lonely character, she has no friends apart from Emma. And when she finally finds someone, she has to push them away and hurt them against their will, when she meets the MC again she faces the consequences of her more sober side. The character's turning point is when she tries to understand who she is, facing her mother, showing that her life couldn't necessarily be like that, and when she decides to face her mother, she starts to think about a tomorrow she never imagined, alongside the protagonist.

Hera - She shouldn't be forgiven, what she did is unjustifiable, it's understanding of her tragedy, she's a woman who has been mentally destroyed over time, lost her husband and her newborn son in a horrible way, a character who makes you wonder if revenge is worth it, and at what cost? Everything she did was for the purpose of revenge because, for her, it was the only way to reach those who had hurt her, a way of trying to deal with her pain. Hera was once a good person, she loved Emma's mother as a normal human being, not as a simple maid. And the tragedy of the character is to see how she ended up, in this blind quest for revenge.

Gwen - She was a girl who, at first glance, you would think is impetuous and unafraid to do what she wants, but she was totally stopped from following her own path because of her mother, like Aine, the difference was that she had a father to count on, her purpose was always to look for what would make her have fun but obviously she never went after what she wanted, like confessing to the MC, and not succeeding. When she puts this fear aside, she finally decides to take charge of her life, deciding to fight for the MC but also for the lost ties with her mother.

Emma - Her mother had died, she was alone, and when she finally met again with the person who would be the great love of her life, he already belonged to someone else, her love, her purpose, was no longer hers. How painful it is to be close to someone you love, without being able to hug, without being able to feel, because you have already made a choice. Emma is an extremely interesting character, both in the solo journey and in the main journey, as she not only finds the courage to fight for the people she loves but she starts to fight for herself, for her dreams.

I really liked your analysis, especially about Hera, and I would like to add something about the MC that few people talk about, because he is a character who is much more than he appears to be. The scene that separates the MC from Hera is precisely the scene in which he is ready to receive a slap from her after being confronted (if you choose not to fight back) he prefers not to react because that would only make it worse, unlike her who approaches to assault him, the difference between the two is that the MC always acts for others, his efforts are always to ensure the good of others, in the case of Aine/Emma at that moment, while Hera only acts for herself, doing what she did for revenge, but only for her own benefit, her strength is all for herself.

In the end, it's possible to draw a strong parallel between MC and Hera, two extreme opposites of each other. The MC could have become someone like Hera, seeking revenge against Aine, but he never did. Something that I could find even more meaningful in the scene, for anyone who has lived a period of their life in difficult situations, who has had hatred, who has thought about doing things that would actually hurt other people, as the MC himself admits to having thought, you take the situation of the MC and Hera and adapt it to your own... Of course we relapse, we feel hatred, anger... But as I write this message, I've been able to see it like the MC, receiving aggression and not fighting back, getting beaten up by life and saying "I'm better than that".

About the MC, I believe he is not a pacifist but a peaceful person, because he shows several times that he does not want to use force or cruel means,this is one of the reasons why he and Aine discuss in the last chapter, but even when the situation ask, he uses. Unlike the pacifist, who in my view is a person who totally abdicates this. The MC and the girls represent a break from a cycle, from the old generation to the new, the mistakes of the past did not repeat themselves. I’m curious about the next chapter, because it appears to be the darkest until then, and I want to see the consequences that would fall on the characters and how they handled it.

TRKaiser

Apr 11, 2023
I think with Hera, its easier to have compassion for her and how she acts tough because of her situation looking at both games. We see in this game what she goes through, but she clearly has been having a rough life and needed to be tough for her entire life... With the glimpses we've gotten through Sicae and her situation there, she was going through a tough situation there too, and on top of that we have what happened in this game. I for one like Hera as a character, will she become a LI...that depends on how things unfold, but I am open depending on how her character is developed from here...Even just as a strong ally against the larger evil if not a LI. I think it is easier to understand what she became if you put both games puzzle pieces of Hera together for a bigger more complete picture of her life given what we know so far...

P.S. Claire and Moon are low-key becoming my favorite characters and Moon has been taking leaps and bounds up the LI list lol.

Cant wait for the next update.

4.20 star(s) 135 Votes