VN Ren'Py Abandoned My Little Katelyn [Ch. 3] [Ellaraia]

2.90 star(s) 11 Votes
D

Deleted member 992182

You said this:

Well, you're back, CuteS is definitely a game about relationships and sex, so you're over that.

As for that:

It wasn't. People love the concept and the game. Please come back to it once you can, kay?
Exactly! People liked MLK and if you're back to making a new game (also good!) you should do what others do and switch updates between the two titles. I really enjoyed MLK in the bit that you released. You should definitely get back to it, Ellaraia.

Abibliboop

Oct 21, 2018
Regardless of how much we enjoy this game, if it brings up bad memories or destructive thoughts for the dev we shouldn't pressure or force it to be resumed. Give it time as I'm sure Ellaraia is aware that our view of this game is very positive. Not saying we shouldn't encourage it to be restarted, but keep in mind the situation that was going on when it was stopped as well.

Having said that, I'm hopeful this will be restarted too, but I understand if it isn't or if it will be some time before it is.

• Red Heart
Reactions: truien and Ellaraia

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
You said this:

Well, you're back, CuteS is definitely a game about relationships and sex, so you're over that.

As for that:

It wasn't. People love the concept and the game. Please come back to it once you can, kay?
Exactly! People liked MLK and if you're back to making a new game (also good!) you should do what others do and switch updates between the two titles. I really enjoyed MLK in the bit that you released. You should definitely get back to it, Ellaraia.
MyLK was supposed to be my escape from the shit that was goin on in my personal life and the one thing I could have to smile about. Instead, it was just more negativity to add to the pile. People didn't like it. Maybe you did, but you are the few, not the many. Almost all of the feedback was negative no matter how hard I tried to improve the game. It wasn't just because it was about relationships that I stopped, I did start it post break-up too, but because it was yet another fuck-up to add to the list. Another failure. And as I began to agree with your view that I had an obligation to continue it no matter how much I really wanted to, Patreon slammed the door shut on a return anyway with a warning and temp ban they never wanted to explain.

mandc

Jan 5, 2019
Well, I was another huge fan of MyLK but I understand your reasoning. Patreon really need to have a good look at themselves if they don't want to fade away into obscurity for their random decision making that is never explained. Utter arrogance.

Reactions: Ellaraia

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Well, I was another huge fan of MyLK but I understand your reasoning. Patreon really need to have a good look at themselves if they don't want to fade away into obscurity for their random decision making that is never explained. Utter arrogance.
Their support was atrocious and refused to elaborate on anything I asked, instead just repeating the same "against rules, please delete, thank you." over and over. I really don't think anyone actually played my stuff. Someone reported me and they assumed I was guilty of whatever it was I was reported for. They wouldn't even point me to which specific posts they had a problem with.

Reactions: mandc
D

Deleted member 992182

MyLK was supposed to be my escape from the shit that was goin on in my personal life and the one thing I could have to smile about. Instead, it was just more negativity to add to the pile. People didn't like it. Maybe you did, but you are the few, not the many. Almost all of the feedback was negative no matter how hard I tried to improve the game. It wasn't just because it was about relationships that I stopped, I did start it post break-up too, but because it was yet another fuck-up to add to the list. Another failure. And as I began to agree with your view that I had an obligation to continue it no matter how much I really wanted to, Patreon slammed the door shut on a return anyway with a warning and temp ban they never wanted to explain.
You sound very hard on yourself. Many liked it. I REALLY liked it. It may be your best work, IMO.
I can't vouch for Patreon's system but you're back to making other stuff so this should be fine. That said, if you'd rather not continie it that's your call and so be it. Just know that many liked it and you shouldn't let a couple people disliking your work bother you. Not everybody will like you or what you do...but many will and do! I do. Others here do. Create for us, if no other reason. Take care.

Reactions: smnb and Ellaraia

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
There was a clear difference in attitude of your girlfriend towards you between the next to last and last updates. You pointed out yourself that people were complaining that the relationship seemed to have been very one-sided and couldn't understand why the protagonist would stay with his girlfriend.
I could, sort of, understand it, but with the changes you made, it was much clearer.

I still say the concept is solid. If you feel like you have to rewrite the game from scratch to salvage the idea, by all means do it. Patreon shouldn't object if you explicitly state stuff like everyone is 18 or older and you avoid any intimate situations with your relatives (stuff like, she's not your sister, she's a roommate; she's not your mother, she's your landlady, you know what I mean because CuteS is built around that idea).

Either way, good luck with CuteS and your future games. And if you ever get back to MLK, so much the better.

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I liked this one a lot better than CuteS, and I'm picky as hell. I've criticized so many VNs the last few days that I'm surprised I haven't been warned yet by staff to keep it down a few notches; but I still wouldn've liked to see this continue and not just because of the eye-candy, but the actual story. (Although I would be lying if I said it wasn't the cute canadian exchange student's face who made me download this.)

I can somewhat relate to the reasons why you stopped, but that does little to nothing to lessen my disappointment that you made a new game with completely new character models, shallow personalities and more grind than a chinese MMO its spiritual successor, claiming it's an improvement...

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I liked this one a lot better than CuteS, and I'm picky as hell. I've criticized so many VNs the last few days that I'm surprised I haven't been warned yet by staff to keep it down a few notches; but I still wouldn've liked to see this continue and not just because of the eye-candy, but the actual story. (Although I would be lying if I said it wasn't the cute canadian exchange student's face who made me download this.)

I can somewhat relate to the reasons why you stopped, but that does little to nothing to lessen my disappointment that you made a new game with completely new character models, shallow personalities and more grind than a chinese MMO its spiritual successor, claiming it's an improvement...
Learn what grind means and I may give a fuck about your opinion.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I've criticized so many VNs the last few days that I'm surprised I haven't been warned yet by staff to keep it down a few notches;
I had a quick check to see just what you'd done to think staff would bother.....

You are very safe.

Probably one of the tamest posters to join the forum. I don't think calling a pout, and I quote, "an anime pose" is going to land you in hot water.

Laughed at, sure, in trouble not so much.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Learn what grind means and I may give a fuck about your opinion.
I actually liked this game a lot better than the new project too and i thought it had some good potential-- but holy crap your response here sorta ruined my mood for either of these projects, man. Jeezus... I mean, I've gotten some touch criticism over the years on my project and i think that's part of the process. In this case, it seemed like the dude was just pointing out the possibility of an old project and characters having some life left in them

Reactions: doe50818

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I actually liked this game a lot better than the new project too and i thought it had some good potential-- but holy crap your response here sorta ruined my mood for either of these projects, man. Jeezus... I mean, I've gotten some touch criticism over the years on my project and i think that's part of the process. In this case, it seemed like the dude was just pointing out the possibility of an old project and characters having some life left in them
And his comment was great until he decided to shit on my new game because he doesn't like the type of game it is and then end with a stuck-up fuck you for good measure. Does anybody play a FPS then call it crap because they don't like shooting games? No. If you don't like a genre of game, don't play them instead of whining and insulting the dev. You can't shroud your insult with a "I understand" caveat and steam right on ahead with taking shit.

I've gotten plenty of tough criticism too (ruining my first game half way through development kinda causes that - that game was fucking grindy) but there's a difference between helpful criticism and insults. Nobody (bar like 3 people and thank you to them) provides quality feedback with useful insight and ideas on improvement. Instead it's just meaningless buzz-words left unexplained.

Also, if all these lovely messages about how people like MyLK came when I made it instead of 2 years later, I'd have finished it.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
And his comment was great until he decided to shit on my new game because he doesn't like the type of game it is and then end with a stuck-up fuck you for good measure. Does anybody play a FPS then call it crap because they don't like shooting games? No. If you don't like a genre of game, don't play them instead of whining and insulting the dev. You can't shroud your insult with a "I understand" caveat and steam right on ahead with taking shit.

I've gotten plenty of tough criticism too (ruining my first game half way through development kinda causes that - that game was fucking grindy) but there's a difference between helpful criticism and insults. Nobody (bar like 3 people and thank you to them) provides quality feedback with useful insight and ideas on improvement. Instead it's just meaningless buzz-words left unexplained.

Also, if all these lovely messages about how people like MyLK came when I made it instead of 2 years later, I'd have finished it.
i love your work :)

• Red Heart

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020

If I had a penny for every time someone tried to defend their hilariously misshapen implementation of some content by telling themselves that the critique is coming from someone who categorically dislikes the type of content in general, I'd be wiping my ass with ben franklins. The fact of the matter is, I like free roam games like Milfy City and Personal Trainer, what I don't like is waking up to my sister flicking her bean, me joining her in the bathroom, flirtatiously commenting on her tits three times before being interrupted by the other sister etc. etc. etc. over two hundred times before anything changes. And you say it's not a grind... hilarious.

The only reason I wasn't explaining what I disliked in excruciating detail is because this is the forum thread for MyLK, not CuteS. But since you already explained that you don't give a shit about my opinion, I won't bother to post there and I'm done posting here too.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
If I had a penny for every time someone tried to defend their hilariously misshapen implementation of some content by telling themselves that the critique is coming from someone who categorically dislikes the type of content in general, I'd be wiping my ass with ben franklins. The fact of the matter is, I like free roam games like Milfy City and Personal Trainer, what I don't like is waking up to my sister flicking her bean, me joining her in the bathroom, flirtatiously commenting on her tits three times before being interrupted by the other sister etc. etc. etc. over two hundred times before anything changes. And you say it's not a grind... hilarious.

The only reason I wasn't explaining what I disliked in excruciating detail is because this is the forum thread for MyLK, not CuteS. But since you already explained that you don't give a shit about my opinion, I won't bother to post there and I'm done posting here too.
Oh look, you still don't know what grind means. And you say I'm defending my game by saying you don't like the type of game, call that bs, and then continue to explain that you don't like the core concept of the game. Make some sense ffs.

J'Daremo

Jul 2, 2020
Ellaraia, Keep holding your ground and keep doing what YOU want to do. I've only been in this community since the summer and this is actually my first post here. In those months I've learned that no matter what you do, there will always be those that hate on you. I've noticed that most users feel the need to dictate how an author writes their story like they have a right to do so and then get pissy when it doesn't go their way. It's the same on Steam for early access games, they don't like what the Devs do and then they review bomb them. Let them flow off you like water off a duck's back and ignore them.

I've read the post about why you stopped, and I feel for you. I've been there myself many times because I'm the same way when it comes to relationships and it doesn't help that I also have both depression and anxiety. I didn't get married until I was in my mid-40s and have been with her for 8yrs now. while it hasn't always been sunshine & roses, it's been good. You'll get there one day, don't worry.

I only recently found your games and I'm downloading them all now to try them. As for someone saying that no one west of Quebec has an accent . . . LOL, Yes they do and it comes out when they least expect it. Keep at it, Ellaraia. Go at your own pace and I hope one day you'll finish this one. Maybe not on Patreon, but there are other platforms like Subscribestar that other authors have turned to.

Hellster

Engaged Member
May 18, 2019
May be too late, but i liked My Little Katelyn as well, but i think only came across it not long before it was tagged abandoned

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
Oh look, you still don't know what grind means. And you say I'm defending my game by saying you don't like the type of game, call that bs, and then continue to explain that you don't like the core concept of the game. Make some sense ffs.
it never seizes to amaze me on how many people like some games and have to let people know it .. and yet ... all they have to do is delete a game they don't like and move on ... but then there are those , who insist ( repeatedly ) that everyone has to listen to them ....
Ellaraia ,, you do great work ... i know its hard , but try to ignore , people like this , your awesome :love:

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ellaraia and Aaryn

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Ellaraia, Keep holding your ground and keep doing what YOU want to do. I've only been in this community since the summer and this is actually my first post here. In those months I've learned that no matter what you do, there will always be those that hate on you. I've noticed that most users feel the need to dictate how an author writes their story like they have a right to do so and then get pissy when it doesn't go their way. It's the same on Steam for early access games, they don't like what the Devs do and then they review bomb them. Let them flow off you like water off a duck's back and ignore them.

I've read the post about why you stopped, and I feel for you. I've been there myself many times because I'm the same way when it comes to relationships and it doesn't help that I also have both depression and anxiety. I didn't get married until I was in my mid-40s and have been with her for 8yrs now. while it hasn't always been sunshine & roses, it's been good. You'll get there one day, don't worry.

I only recently found your games and I'm downloading them all now to try them. As for someone saying that no one west of Quebec has an accent . . . LOL, Yes they do and it comes out when they least expect it. Keep at it, Ellaraia. Go at your own pace and I hope one day you'll finish this one. Maybe not on Patreon, but there are other platforms like Subscribestar that other authors have turned to.
I read through subscribestar's ToS and it scared me. If you ignore Patreon's banned-content list, their ToS are way less controlling than Subscribestar's are. The moment Subscribestar decides it doesn't like something, they will be worse than patreon is. Also, don't really want to send them my passport to allow me to use the site.

2.90 star(s) 11 Votes