DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I think we deff read completely different stories.

The talk about her school life had her being incredibly popular and sleeping around then, she wasn't depandent on Tales for anything, they were exact opposites. She was outgoing and popular and he was a shut in that rarely did anything.

She lost her virginity to most of the football team.

She didn't find herself wanting Tales until things went too far at college. Even then she realised pretty quickly it wasn't going anywhere.

If you so much as peak at her in the shower at the start she freaks out and it's instant game over. Talk to her about masturbation in the kitchen and she thinks he's a weirdo.

I don't see any "significant other" vibes in their relationship.
That is where we disagree indeed, to me there are way to many hints like her describing tales perfectly when she tells what she is looking for in a man at the very start of the game more or less and then dating the opposite different kind of guys. Her not very healthy need to be popular and such are also signs of the vibes I feel. :p Problem is most of us people that have problems like that are incredibly good at blending in and hiding those from others and even better at covering them up and lying to ourselves. The others that are worse at it are more likely to get help already in their childhood years nowadays luckily.

Last edited:

Kame-Sennin

Engaged Member
Aug 29, 2017
Don't mind the No Nikki ending, but I mind the ending in which you'll have too see Nikki about to marry another guy damn it ! the envy and jealousy is on the player not on MC, It would have been much better if it's MC who's about to marry someone instead of Nikki and DEV, what about Sarah ?! well it's a relief if there will be a sequel to this game, with Nikki married to someone but still having an affair with her brother , it could be interesting since they only did it once

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
After mc becomes Molly's boyfriend, he didnt cheated on her and still she leaves the mc when at home for christmas; bug or is that suppose to happen?

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Do you say this in your sleep? Do you have a nervous tic? Do you need professional help? Call Now on 0800 fuck this is getting old! :ROFLMAO:
Well no worries this discussion will go on for quite a while still and will not be resolved since it is based upon a very different reading of Nikki nd the other women as the one Sumo intended. Sumo likely unintentionally put more than enough hints and situations into the game to make this reading not only possible but even probable. So some like the happy ending he wanted to provide and for others like me it was the saddest most unhappy ending possible doing most damage to her and people around her possible. (Now this might have something to do as well with my own background admittedly :p )

Still it does say something about this game that so many people have strong opinions and emotions about it. It means the game did touch lots of people on an emotional level beyond just getting a hard-on. So while I can understand if Sumo is a bit unhappy about the criticism, well it is because he made a great game that made people feel. :ROFLMAO:
I don't know what i'm going to do now this is over.

I suppose i've got Rockstar and the Julia thing and occasionally someone asks for incest over on Retrieving the Past but this was my main source of whine tasting.

It's taking goddess like levels of effort to stop myself quoting everyone that argued with me on this just to say "told you so".
If you never followed dev notes or threads like this one then I can see how someone would be frustrated by the lack of a Nikki ending. Everything in the game makes it look like the game is building up to ending up with Nikki as at least part of Taylor's (sex) life. Sure, in game Nikki pushes Taylor away, but then you get a bunch of mixed messages leading up to that last night before going home. That night seems to be the set up for a continuing relationship and then the rug gets pulled out from under you. The game should convey if a character is an option or not, not some dev notes.

Which is my biggest frustration with the end of the game. I did follow the thread and knew Nikki wasn't going to happen. OK, great. But why cut off every other interest other than Molly? It's like that "3 Months Later" screen was basically "cut contact with everyone except Molly and Nikki". Cutting out every other girl in the game just feels like wanting the game to be over as quickly as possible. The lack of any other options at the end of the game really drags the whole thing down. I'm very much of the opinion that a poor ending can absolutely overshadow a good game and I felt like the ending was pretty weak overall.

Good story up till the end. Hopefully the next project will have better story flow and make it clear to the players, in the game, if a character is a potential love interest, just a fling, or totally out without it being a complete surprise right at the end.
Game started good, went great, stood some time at great and dropped as average at best. No hate here, just my personal honest thoughts.
That's because you don't want to. You don't go from being a sexually adventurous person to being in a committed monogamous relationship with a celibate, super religious person unless you're overcompensating for something. Sure, there's the remotest possibility that she was actually in love with Marc (or whatever his name was), but it seems way more likely that he was a scapegoat so that Nikki didn't have to admit or confront her feelings for the MC. Nikki's complete 180 personality shift doesn't seem the least bit suspicious to you? Also, there is the part where she had to stop herself from dropping the "I love you" bomb on the MC. Pretty sure she had some serious feelings for him.
Guy and gal, calm down... Nikki from the start wanted to date ( and marry) a football player, she got what she wanted.
Everyone got what they wanted... if you want a game where you are shoehorned into a relationship that gets overturned, have a go at Haley's story because MSMR is anything but that

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
That is where we disagree indeed, to me there are way too many hints
This is the real issue here, not that Taylor and Nikki didn't end up together because that wasn't going to happen, but that the story hints several times that Nikki may have indeed developed or harboured feelings but then at the end she says she feels nothing. A few times, the phrase "mixed signals" pops up in this VN and that is exactly what it feels like with Nikki and even Taylor to an extent.

There perhaps are other ways of looking at this and we are generally inclined to view things through our own lense, but I feel like there are plenty of examples that objectively show Nikki's deeper feelings for Taylor. It almost feels like Sumo intended to have Nikki confess she felt something more for Taylor but then Taylor would reject her, but because of all the people bitching about there not being a Taylor/Nikki ending, they changed the ending to have neither of them feel anything as a way to punish those who complained by giving them an ending they'd dislike just as much. But if not this, then what were all those hints for?

People are rightfully confused and frustrated by this as well as all the choices that ultimately meant nothing as the only girl you have any future with is Molly even if you spent less time with her than others.

spitfire335

Jun 12, 2017
This is the real issue here, not that Taylor and Nikki didn't end up together because that wasn't going to happen, but that the story hints several times that Nikki may have indeed developed or harboured feelings but then at the end she says she feels nothing. A few times, the phrase "mixed signals" pops up in this VN and that is exactly what it feels like with Nikki and even Taylor to an extent.

There perhaps are other ways of looking at this and we are generally inclined to view things through our own lense, but I feel like there are plenty of examples that objectively show Nikki's deeper feelings for Taylor. It almost feels like Sumo intended to have Nikki confess she felt something more for Taylor but then Taylor would reject her, but because of all the people bitching about there not being a Taylor/Nikki ending, they changed the ending to have neither of them feel anything as a way to punish those who complained by giving them an ending they'd dislike just as much. But if not this, then what were all those hints for?

People are rightfully confused and frustrated by this as well as all the choices that ultimately meant nothing as the only girl you have any future with is Molly even if you spent less time with her than others.
I completely agree with you and DA22. I think it’s just that when the dev gives the player agency in making choices like going on dates with different girls but then only has a good end with one, this happens. People like to choose the girl they want to end the game with. This game gives the illusion of that but then takes it away in the end. Again, congrats to the dev for finishing the game but again I hope he takes the feedback as constructive and doesn’t just ignore it.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I think we deff read completely different stories.

The talk about her school life had her being incredibly popular and sleeping around then, she wasn't depandent on Tales for anything, they were exact opposites. She was outgoing and popular and he was a shut in that rarely did anything.

She lost her virginity to most of the football team.

She didn't find herself wanting Tales until things went too far at college. Even then she realised pretty quickly it wasn't going anywhere.

If you so much as peak at her in the shower at the start she freaks out and it's instant game over. Talk to her about masturbation in the kitchen and she thinks he's a weirdo.

I don't see any "significant other" vibes in their relationship.
I agree with 95% of your post.

My 5% is that in my mind, only looking at the game, disregarding dev comments etc. there was a bit of sexual tension left between Nikki and Tales at the end. Tales had to make a concerted effort at the pond to put a final stop to everything. The way I read Nikki, she was still up for some naughty action in the right situation, but no more then that.

Agreed it was never going to lead to anything, and also agreed that Nikki choosing Marc makes a lot of sence for me. He shared a lot of similarities with Tales. I also think she saw what Tales and Molly had (if you chose that arc) and wanted that for herself as well.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I agree with 95% of your post.

My 5% is that in my mind, only looking at the game, disregarding dev comments etc. there was a bit of sexual tension left between Nikki and Tales at the end. Tales had to make a concerted effort at the pond to put a final stop to everything. The way I read Nikki, she was still up for some naughty action in the right situation, but no more then that.

Agreed it was never going to lead to anything, and also agreed that Nikki choosing Marc makes a lot of sence for me. He shared a lot of similarities with Tales. I also think she saw what Tales and Molly had (if you chose that arc) and wanted that for herself as well.
It may not have been leading to anything in terms of Taylor and Nikki getting together at the end, but it did feel like it was at least leading to Nikki confessing feelings for Taylor and the fact that it didn't at least do that is what's causing so much confusion and disappointment.

So they don't end up together, fine, they both acknowledge that it could never work, fine, but having Nikki say she has no deeper feelings when she was the one playing a romance incest game; she was the one who initiated the sexual contact in what could be seen as an act of seduction; she was the one who would hesitate, avoid, and feel uncomfortable when Taylor would question her about what she really felt; she was the one who almost said "I love you" when they had sex for the 2nd time; she was the one who, despite seemingly wanting him to get with other girls, would constantly undermine it by pushing herself on to Taylor. If it was always going to end with neither of them feeling anything for each other, then what was all that about? Some sort of misdirection or tease to keep people playing even though it would ultimately amount to nothing?

For me, this felt like it would turn out to be a story of unrequited love, with it being revealed that Nikki harboured feelings for Taylor that she felt free to express and explore in college but ultimately Taylor would reject her, and up until this final update it seemed to be playing out that way. Marc as a Taylor-substitute almost bolsters this theory as, since she felt she couldn't have Taylor, she went for Marc even though they weren't compatible for one another because of Nikki having a wild, kinky streak and Marc seemingly being a devoutly religious, celibate, straight-arrow.

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
I really don't know if Sumodeine is super genius or just a lucky lazy story writer that people heavily discussed Nikki's characteristic like a very complex & deep person. While in another case, many characters are just sex drone's minded.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
It may not have been leading to anything in terms of Taylor and Nikki getting together at the end, but it did feel like it was at least leading to Nikki confessing feelings for Taylor and the fact that it didn't at least do that is what's causing so much confusion and disappointment.

So they don't end up together, fine, they both acknowledge that it could never work, fine, but having Nikki say she has no deeper feelings when she was the one playing a romance incest game; she was the one who initiated the sexual contact in what could be seen as an act of seduction; she was the one who would hesitate, avoid, and feel uncomfortable when Taylor would question her about what she really felt; she was the one who almost said "I love you" when they had sex for the 2nd time; she was the one who, despite seemingly wanting him to get with other girls, would constantly undermine it by pushing herself on to Taylor. If it was always going to end with neither of them feeling anything for each other, then what was all that about? Some sort of misdirection or tease to keep people playing even though it would ultimately amount to nothing?

For me, this felt like it would turn out to be a story of unrequited love, with it being revealed that Nikki harboured feelings for Taylor that she felt free to express and explore in college but ultimately Taylor would reject her, and up until this final update it seemed to be playing out that way. Marc as a Taylor-substitute almost bolsters this theory as, since she felt she couldn't have Taylor, she went for Marc even though they weren't compatible for one another because of Nikki having a wild, kinky streak and Marc seemingly being a devoutly religious, celibate, straight-arrow.
Let's assume you are right.

It is still just a normal relationship that does not work out. Unlike the game in your sig (Awesome game btw) Nikki does not have a history of anything romantically with the MC. When they start having sex, at most it's like a normal relationship to her. Nothing that she will not get over. She will get over it and move on, as she did. I do not agree that her and Marc is doomed for failure. There are different stages in your life. Tales was also never all in on this relationship and he finally put a stop to it all at the pond.

Nikki had a wild youth and decided to focus on other types of relationships, not focusing on sex.
I agree with Avaron here, people and priorities change. I feel like she moved on from meaningless, sexually charged relationships, to something with more substance.

Reactions: Jaun Karr

Sinphil

Nov 15, 2018
First let me preface this as saying I did really enjoy the vast majority of the game, but like others I do think the potential ending(s) is where it fell a little flat for me.

I like the idea of the happy Molly ending, and having a bad ending of forever alone, but I just feel like there should have been more. I know what the dev has said, but like others have said it doesn't actually matter what the dev says in a forum post, it matters what is written in the story. That is what the users will use to determine how they feel about any characters and endings involving those characters.

A couple things could have easily added more to it, one being with Mrs. S. Frankly if you are not with Molly and you get Mrs. S preggo (which I think happens no matter what right?) then you should have a choice to be with her, or something like that. Hell if you really wanted to appease the incest crowd then you could have thrown mom in for a threesome at some point in the epilogue. I mean he talks about his moms ass and then she flashes him and is wearing more revealing clothes, which all amkes you think something could happen. The other girls I actually get not really turning into longtime companions, although I think we could have maybe got another scene or two with them, specifically Cory, which would have been easy to write the growing apart due to the volleyball and olympic training etc, but I still see them drifting apart.

Now the real issue most are having is with regards to Nikki. With the way it is written, I do believe that having a straight brother sister together forever situation wouldn't happen. But if you are with Molly and you do everything right, Nikki is there together with you and Molly. Molly seems to be very accepting of it and I feel like there are hints of more fun time with all of them. So I have to admit I was very let down that there was no option to continue to have Nikki not just in yours and Molly's life but active in their sexual life. They (Tales and Nikki) obviously love each other, even more than just normal siblings, but not enough to admit they want to change their names and get married etc. I really feel that even if everything else was the same, if all you did was add a way to get the MollyxNikkixTales ending (I know that I tried many different choices attempting to get that option before finding out that it was not possible), you would not have anywhere near the kick back you are receiving. And the reason for that is how it is written, people would not jump to that conclusion without it being written that way. It's pretty obvious that Nikki would continue their fun if she really had the option without hurting Tales and Molly, and depending on your choices Tales does question if they could be more, so it is not like he is completely against it, at least the physical part.

And no I am not asking Sumo to change the end or anything. I honestly hope that he can take the bits of well worded criticism (not the bashing shit, that is not needed or helpful) and use it to better his writing in the future. Like I said at the start, I did really enjoy the game, it was both sexy and funny and well written for the most part. Just try to remember that the reaction is because people felt that there should have been more ending options considering the writing leading up to it. That really is more a testament to the quality of your writing leading up to the end.

And no matter what anyone else says, congrats on the finishing of the game, that alone is more than the vast majority do.
Well there is a sequel and we had preview at prison so maybe there is good reason that not a lot of endings, depending exactly what characters in sequel. There was more than enough little clouds dropped in ending to suggest story far from done.
I'm going to refence another game here..sorry, but the parralel between the two games are too similar.

Compare this game to Haley's Story:

In Haley's story, there is no doubt that Haley's always been in love with her brother. Since her early childhood, everything she did and still does centres around her brother. Every relationship she had in the past, had her brother in mind. She tried her best to hide that feeling, but is so obsessed with her brother that she is fully unable to do so. The events that happens in the game (in the canon version) is basically her most secret dream becoming true.

By contrast in My sister My Roommate:
Nikki is completely different then Haley. She is very popular. Never had a crush on her brother in the past as far as I remember. Even when they were roomates, she started having sex with various guys, not really bothered about her brother. At some stage, she feels that her brother is wasting his college years away by never going out and never getting laid. Nikki decided to do something about this by trying to get him into relationships and loosening him up by walking naked in front of him etc. etc.

Yes she also pushes her brother into a relationship, but the reasons are totally different. Haley does this to hide/supress her own feelings about her brother. Where as Nikki genuinely wants her brother to be more social and outgoing. The fact that Ashley was a complete nut job, was not her fault.

Then Nikki, being Nikki (Enjoying life and does not always thing about the consequences) started to push the boundries and eventualy had sex with her brother. Here I will agree. In my view, Nikki did fall for Tales, but this is not a childhood fantasy coming true (Unlike Haley). This is a spur of the moment thing that grew into something she was not ready for. Like every normal relationship, one can get over it and move on. That is what Nikki and Tales did.

Yes, I think she will always fondly remember her fling with her brother, yes there were still a lot of sexual tension left between them, especially from Nikki's side, but no, she will be able to move on and her choice of Marc is precisely because of her fling with Taylor. Marc is similar to Taylor on all accounts.

By contrast, I think Haley will never be happy without her brother. The only way she gives him up willingly, is by sacrificing her own love and accepting that it can not work out. But she will not live a happy life without him.
Except even after dating Marc, her feelings for Taylor were to strong to resist even after dating Marc for months and months...how can her feelings for Marc be true love ? Secondly she gives up her education (This is in the ending and no one has managed to explain it away, simply put she again distanced herself from Taylor and no reason for that if she doesn't love Taylor), totally forfeits her cherished freedoms and totally represses her nature and personality. I sorry there is no way she ever going to find happiness and putting a single frame of a wedding does not make a happily ever after life deleting all that happened.

In this they had always been very close, in fact she even all but admits she became a "slut" to try stop thinking of Taylor as a love interest. In start there was even a reference that she had only distanced herself from Taylor recently.

Haley's Story not best comparison as Haley and Nikki totally different personalities and so are MC's.

We really wont know until we see sequel and which characters are in it. Sumo is way better at character development and dynamics between characters which is why the happy ending doesn't sit right (add to it the little dark clouds snuck into ending, the isolation of Taylor with all his social circle lost and the dropping out of college and her isolation from everyone as well). To me this was setting up for sequel not the end of their story. Lets not forget the movie they watched in final either, don't tell me the romance and the dialogue was accident from the two main characters always ending up together, to the boring nature of romance stories and finally ceding there was actually some merit to conventional wisdom. We also have the fact that he was so adamant entire time there was going to be no Nikki ending and no matter the flack or crap he copped on here and patreon he never backed down. This suggests more to me that he had already planned the story into sequel and they needed to be exactly where they are now. I don't think ending was rushed, in fact I think it was very intricate. The superficial happy ending to satisfy the casual players but the shadows looming over future.

Sinphil

Nov 15, 2018
I don't have a problem with Critics...It's critics losing their marbles that gets to me.

I mean this game was Pretty good, even the 1 star reviews enjoyed it up until the last update. So even if I buy into the ending sucks balls narrative, It still does not deserver 1 star?

Take Mass effect...A Lot of people disliked the ending strongly. But that does not make the Mass Effect Trilogy bad?
It is still seen as one of the best games ever.

Game of Thrones... The last couple of seasons were terrible, but that does not take away from the brilliance of the earlier season. I'm sure that no one will look at the GOT series overall and think it deserves 1/10? The las seasons brought it down from a 9/10 to say a 5/10 or even 4/10 ?

One poster refers to the mistake of Harry Potter where Hermoine ended up with Ron. That does not mean that the whole Harry Potter series sucked.

So yes, I get the ending were dissapointing for some, but maybe a bit of perspective is needed? Maybe score it 2 or 3 out of 5?
For me it's a solif 4/5
I agree the poor ratings make no sense. Lets not forget there is sequel coming and we only know one of characters involved, but the fact sumo so adamant there be no Taylor/Nikki ending from early on suggests to me they needed to be exactly where they are for part two. There was more than enough clouds thrown in to ending to make it clear the relationship far from resolved and not a ride off into sunset ending. The romance movie at Christmas also very suggestive.

Reactions: PeteHanson

Profound_Madman

Dec 3, 2019
So you've said and you are more than welcome to your opinion hunni.

I enjoyed the tale for what it was, you didn't. Would it not be easier to find something you do enjoy rather than try and argue a point that isn't going to change either of our opinions?

It's only been said for 2 years and many times on this forum that Nikki isn't the end goal and won't be a love interest.

No, there is no Nikki ending with her brother.
I'm allergic to hunni

Mistress_Kixen

Engaged Member
Jun 12, 2017
played the entire game as I remember playing it before the game was finished and I must say I am totally disappointed in the ending. It was obvious that Nikki and Taylor were close to one another, and that Nikki from what we saw wanted to keep going forth with said relationship with him, but in the end it like the creator just gave up and threw Nikki's whole character out the window. The Nikki from this game would have never truly settled down the way she did at such a young age, if anything she would have either

A) found away to keep what she had with Taylor going even if they did it in secret

or

B) would have given society the big middle finger and just make taylor her boyfriend.

I just couldn't see her not only giving up everything that was her to be with someone that wasn't a fit for her, but giving up on school just because her brother was her roommate.

But at the same time with the way the game at times broke the 4th wall and pulled what I call a "Pinky Elmira and the Brain" something tells me this was done because of the platform they were using to make money. I could be wrong but those clues lead me to think this.

ways this game could have been better

1) Actual ending with several of the girls within the game not just a good/neutral/bad ending that revolved around Molly

For example Part of me was holding for an ending where Skylar or Cory would have been is girlfriend and with the later him having the possibly of having multiple threesomes with Cory and her best friend.

2) An actual ending where Nikki would have been his main girl.

Even if I am right and the author did this for the sole purpose of the owners of the servicing enforcing their rules I still wished we could have had a Nikki/Taylor ending where they were either together as boyfriend and girlfriend, or better yet where Molly, and Taylor were together to the public but behind the scenes it was Molly, Nikki, and Taylor together having wild threesomes together as his girlfriends.

3.90 star(s) 128 Votes