Ahchi

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2020
Hi,
I've now played 1 more week in game and on each day are checking the manor at morning/afternoon, but cannot unlock riley (hotel level 4). And another question: Anikka and Laura experience level shows 2 (as it should be to unlock), but still not unlocking (see images)
View attachment 1071966
View attachment 1071969
The profile shows: View attachment 1071971

and here is my save-file:
If the above profile is for Laura , then she is still level 1,
It is the "Lowest" skill level that will determine her "Progress" Level.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Best example of a PEBCAK if I ever saw one. :ROFLMAO:
Fortunately you didn't get my IT problem two weeks ago, which was embarassing. Though I told the IT guy I was pretty sure it was a Layer 8 error (alternatively PEBKAC/Identification 10T) and it turned out to be correct.

YoRHa_A2

Aug 6, 2017
Thanks again. Together with Faerin we are trying to narrow down what the issue might be.

Do gather more information I would like you to check and report back your memory consumption before and after launching the game. Maybe you can share a screenshot.

I assume you tried to play the game if disabled AV too.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also yes, I first tried to make an exception for the game and then ended up disabling the AV and Windows defender entirely.
If there's anything else I can do to help you guys narrow down what the issue might be just ask (;

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Exoplast said:

The cheatmod doesn't produce this error . It only fast leveling till level 4 and level 5 has the same value that the original version has. So Obsidian has done nothing wrong.
That's okay then thanks for pointing that out to me about his Mod you see I have no idea about coding and such, it takes me all my time to link my sig on here. But after having looked at it for now I owe an apology to Obsidian until the game screws up through his Mod it might not who knows.

Exoplast said:

The debug key can caused errors like that,
You don't say can it, myself and my colleagues never knew that, thanks for pointing that out to us.

Exoplast said:

but blaming this error to me a very cheap. If the game would be good balanced than that should not be happend at all.
No actually as you pointed out yourself Obsidians Mod doesn't do anything this is caused by the debug key the one you were asked not to share, but you decided you would. So I think I have the right person. I don't care about the cheat key congrats on sharing it but the debug key is a different issue altogether.

Exoplast said:

You know you can't reach a level that not in the game, but level 5 is in the game. But to who i'm talking
I know that. You know why I know that it's because I work for Faerin, testing the game and helping people who are stuck not just with this but with his other game Man of the House, and tech support as well, as far as my limited knowledge will take me.
I'm one of the guys who will take a save and look at it and fix it need be and pass it back to the user so they can continue, or I will try to find out why something isn't triggering for them to see if it is a bug and if it is, pass it onto the dev so he can look at it and track the bug down. This can sometimes take a few hours.
But now I also have the problem of the flag console being altered, the one that was posted was pretty obvious but others can be more subtle and why should I spend hours looking through a save only to find that the user has altered a flag because you decided to give it to the public, an error we made ourselves with Man of the House.
You see we do have a little bit of experience in this, and not everyone here is as logical as you.

The hotel can only go to 5 but if I alter the flag to 100 what will I get some hidden content

for you these error only exist, because i have publish two keys.
But good programmed game shouldn't even give error like that, especially for data that can be acces by the debug menu. Think about that.[/QUOTE]

As you seem to think these errors only exist for me, I'm afraid we differ on that one as well. They now exist for you as well, because each time I find a post with the flags being altered, I will refer them to you. Share the cheat key by all means but keep the debug key to yourself.

But good programmed game shouldn't even give error like that, especially for data that can be acces by the debug menu. Think about that.
Think about this, you called my post cheap, what would you call this. "I released the debug key, so what, it's not me it's the games coding." I call that pathetic
All you have shown us here is that you can get the code for the debug key and the cheat key nothing else. Show us all a game, show us how it should be done. Come on when Obsidian was called out he made a mod I'm calling you out show us a game and your brilliant coding skills, you won't need any help because you're just that good.
When you have a game as successful as Man of the House and another that is 50% done (don't take this as accurate I am probably a mile out but you get the gist) and this one looks as if it may surpass the success of Man of the House.
Come back and I will apologise, but don't ask me to think that you're some kind of coding genius because you got the debug and cheat key out of the game.

And i will give support for this unfinished and unbalanced game, if that error is produced by the debug menu. But keep in mind that the keys normally belongs to the original and unmodified game.This can easily fixed with the debug console in cheatmenu. Go to the menu, click on cheats, then on debug. After that you select your username, then select Riley unlocked or something and then set the value to 1. After that explore the manor in the morning or afternoon.
So it doesn't belong here in a work in progress. As a workaround for bugs not caught in testing, so people can still enjoy the game.
On that point again I disagree with you as this game is far from complete.
Oh and also if you're going to give support, at least do it right he couldn't unlock Riley you gave him a solution now give him the solution to why he can't claim Laura's or Annika's level 2 uniform.

Yes, I work for Faerin as do a few others here and we are grateful to all the users on this site who help out here when we are not here. No, we don't have exclusivity to helping people and we are grateful to others when they do that is what a community does, and everyone here that enjoys the game is part of that community.
The debug key isn't there as a cheat console it's there for us to do workaround's if there is a bug that we missed so people can still enjoy the game. We locate it and pass it onto Faerin who can then rectify it. One other point is while we are doing this Faerin is working on content rather than spending hours tracking down bugs and we are grateful for all the help we get from the community here.
So Exoplast all I ask is keep the debug key to yourself, but by all means share the cheat key

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
No one said it was the cheat mod or debugger key that caused the problem. It was the user's access to the debug console and modifying the values in it that did. It's not poor programming, as you falsely claim. Ever hear of the term "placeholder"? Right now, level 5 is just that.. a placeholder for later updates since neither the manor, nor the staff can get to that level yet (if you play the game as intended) due to the fact it's not implemented. But you'd know that if you were part of the team instead of making accusations and assumptions based on your lack of knowledge of how the game is developed.
The funny thing it that i also get the same error sometimes without modifying anything. But a small minded person would blame another person, for releasing somethings that belongs to the game. You know what's placeholder are and how they are used ?
I don't really think that. Placeholders are put in the game and will be made unaccesable for public builds (not only with high numbers). Sometimes they will also be used for missing pictures or videos. But unfinished mechanics normally doesn't get implement into the game until they are finished. So tell me the reason for adding hotel level 5 to the game. If you can tell me any reason, without telling me for developing and testing new feature that will add later, then i will say nothing more about it. For such thing dev or beta builds are used for but not builds that are released to the wide audience. That's why i blame the dev.

Here you are wrong. The debug console isn't available for anyone aside for official testers. Now you can argue and blame dev for bad coding etc.

However, you made the debug key public, not Faerin or any of the testers. By doing that you made it possible for a noob to butcher his/their gameplay/save. Therefore you are indirectly responsible for their corrupt game.

So to be clear: If one of us notice that a player used the debug console we won't help them anymore and direct them to you, because you made the debug key public in the first place.
You say that's i'm wrong. But your reply exactly say that the debug menu are build in and you can only acces it with that keys. So they belong to the game. I blame the dev because he input Placeholders in an public build and not testing the game enough. The Videoplayer bug for example was an known issue and on the unity support site was also listed the solution. This bug was only in v.0.4.1.7 because of the lag of testing.

I will asked you the same question as i asked Sycho : Tell me one good reason for these placeholders, without saysing it is for testing and developing unfinished gamebreaking stuff. Such things belongs to dev and beta builds and not to public builds. Do you know how to fix it ? You are right by using two release channels . One for dev and betatester and one for the public.

But i now know that you two don't accept any other opinion then yours and you will always protect the dev, even if anybody can prove that it is the dev's fault. For that reason i continue to release these keys only for fun because i can do this and stop argue with you two. It is a waste of time.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Maybe Faerin and staff could have averted this happening by changing their modus operandi.

In essence it is still: people accessed parts of the program they were not meant to access, fiddled around, broke the game, and now blame the programmer - for the breaking down (OP) or for not entirely making it impossible to access the stuff in the first place (you). And while some of the responsibility may indeed lie at Faerin for not safeguarding the knifes in his house, the guy who used said knifes still has to take responsibility for anything he destroyed and not say "the knives were there, I am not to blame at all".

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
All you have shown us here is that you can get the code for the debug key and the cheat key nothing else. Show us all a game, show us how it should be done. Come on when Obsidian was called out he made a mod I'm calling you out show us a game and your brilliant coding skills, you won't need any help because you're just that good.
I must not proven anything to you or somebody else. I have released allready a bug fixes for an other game, where the autosave function was not working probably. I have also made severals mod for World of Warcraft and Tiberium Alliances under an other nickname. I has also helped other devs of these to games to update their mods. Also here on the forum are a bunch of updater released, things like that you will never reach.

In my opinion you are the one that must proven, that you are better for shittalking like that. I was working on an installer for this game, that also would be checking if the neccesary frameworks was installed, but i now stopping the work on that little project. This installer was also compressing the game to 400mb donload size.

Last edited:

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
You're right.. trying to get through to you is like trying to clap with one hand.

*plonk*
I say only thigh clap. But getting you to not be arogant is inpossible, before that Nvidia will released their 70000er series.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
See, you could have had this idea and asked if it was appreciated. Just doing something that others may like or not and then expecting a big dose of "thank yous" will not work all the time.

And this has nothing to do with "who is the better programmer" or similar. It is about providing tools to people who misuse them and then will be annoying towards the dev and his crew. Any team has a modus operandi. Coming from the outside and trying to force a change just like that is never a welcome idea, even if the change in question may be beneficial. Trying to tell the team "you suck, I can do that better" also isn't always gonna earn a friendly reception.

Reactions: Sycho and larry5168

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Faerin and staff could have averted this happening by changing their modus operandi.

In essence it is still: people accessed parts of the program they were not meant to access, fiddled around, broke the game, and now blame the programmer - for the breaking down (OP) or for not entirely making it impossible to access the stuff in the first place (you). And while some of the responsibility may indeed lie at Faerin for not safeguarding the knifes in his house, the guy who used said knifes still has to take responsibility for anything he destroyed and not say "the knives were there, I am not to blame at all".
Nobody has said that i not take the responsibility for the errors that happen. But things that can also be happen without the modifcation i do not take the responsibility. Haven't i provided what must be done, with that riley error. Both sides have made errors.

For your knife metaphor:But if the knife has a factory issue and the user will be get hurted, who you blame then.
The user for using the malfunction knife or the crafter who crafted the knife which not knowing his knife was malfuntioning.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
For your knife metaphor:But if the knife has a factory issue and the user will be get hurted, who you blame then.
The user for using the malfunction knife or the crafter who crafted the knife which not knowing his knife was malfuntioning.
If I do not have permission to use the knife, but I choose to, it is my responsibility.
User is responsible. Product was not made available to them by the manufacturer, so the manufacturer is not responsible.
The person who did make it available to them is accountable/responsible for making it available without permission.
User is responsible for using it without permission.

Reactions: ZenGarden and Sycho

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Nobody has said that i not take the responsibility for the errors that happen. But things that can also be happen without the modifcation i do not take the responsibility. Haven't i provided what must be done, with that riley error. Both sides have made errors.

Well, since the manufacturer clearly said he didn't want the knife on the market because it is not suitable for the general public, but somebody sold it anyway ... yes, the manufacturer could have destroyed the whole production line, that he didn't you can blame on him. But knowingly distributing it is a different beast.

And if an error because of level 5 employees at this stage of the game could happen without fiddling with the data, then no, that is not your responsibility. But did it?

Reactions: TheDevian

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
If I do not have permission to use the knife, but I choose to, it is my responsibility.
User is responsible. Product was not made available to them by the manufacturer, so the manufacturer is not responsible.
The person who did make it available to them is accountable/responsible for making it available without permission.
User is responsible for using it without permission.
And because of that i also help people who has problems when they altered the the game with the debug menu. But i seen that's a lot of people have use the tools wisely. Like i say, i take the responsibility for what i made.

Reactions: Michel Mak

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
And if an error because of level 5 employees at this stage of the game could happen without fiddling with the data, then no, that is not your responsibility. But did it?
I had reproduce the error that riley was not accessable, without altering the game files. Sometimes if flags and sometimes it is not flagging. It was not only because the level 5 employer, it also happens on lower levels.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
And because of that i also help people who has problems when they altered the the game with the debug menu. But i seen that's a lot of people have use the tools wisely. Like i say, i take the responsibility for what i made.
I'm sure that lots of people do use the tool wisely.
But we're not talking about them.
We're talking about the people who force higher stats than are naturally available through standard game-play & subsequently break their game.
As far as I gather, the situation is as follows:
You made it available.
You didn't force them to use it, whether stupidly or otherwise.
If you had not made it available, they would not have been able to use it stupidly.

Edit: I am not criticising you, or anyone else, I am merely establishing the facts to ascertain where responsibility lies.
As far as I see it, it's as I said.
They are responsible for using it.
You are responsible for making it available for them to use. I would call this an irresponsible act.

Last edited:

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Nobody is doubting that many can use the tools wisely. And that many of those who do not do so will realize "well, I shouldn't have tried to do this, that was stupid of me but it was worth a shot, now back to square one". All of that is fine and wouldn't disturb anybody in the least.

But still some remain. A minority, but they remain. And these will attack the dev and his team. The same has happened before on MotH. And then the devs have the choice whether they prefer to help each individual with a problem caused by a real bug and thus their mistake - or prefer that most of these issues can be solved by the "good" people who can now fix problems themselves but in return get people doing stuff they don't know anything about and blaming others, fewer probably but more annoying.

There isn't an objective "right" or "wrong" choice here. Matter of personal preference really IMO. But the devs decided on which way they wanted to go. And publishing the keys killed that decision. Even worse: probably quite a few of the "good" ones will not use the tool since the dev does not want it to be used, so their problems remain, while the "not so good" ones will still appear - they will always appear. So it's not entirely improbable that making this exploit public has not only increased the annoyance but the actual workload as well.

Reactions: larry5168

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Exoplast said:

I must not proven anything to you or somebody else. I have released released allready a bug fixes for an other game, where the autosave function was not working probably. I have also made severals mod for World of Warcraft and Tiberium Alliances under an other nickname.
I'm actually Elvis and I never left the building. See it's easy to say you're something and you're really not.
I invented the internet but did it under a pseudonym.

It's easy to say what you can do and what you can't do. You probably have a great deal more experience in coding than I do, actually, you do as I have none.

You may have done what you said, but again does that matter. You have come onto this thread and basically told us all that the coding is shite and how you would improve it. But I read further into this post and take a look you seem to be great at improving something that has already been done, yet have produced nothing original yourself. I wonder why?

Exoplast said:

I has also helped other devs of these to games to update their mods. Also here on the forum are a bunch of updater released, things like that you will never reach.
To reach them I would want to attain them, I can assure you I don't. My reason for posting was you keep telling everyone how good you are, where there are flaws in the game, how the game is made wrong and how you would improve it.
Yes, I will defend the game and the dev as I class him as a personal friend.

Exoplast said:

In my opinion you are the one that must proven, that you are better for shittalking like that. I was working on an installer for this game, that also would be checking if the neccesary frameworks was installed, but i now stopping the work on that little project. This installer was also compressing the game to 400mb donload size.
If you have a look at my posts I don't have to prove anything, as I have never professed to be anything more than I am which is support.
You on the other hand have come on here and told us all that the coding in the game is wrong, it should be like this and that, yet you have no proof as to whether you're better at this than Faerin.
I may be speaking out of turn here but I don't think Faerin thinks he's the best coder on the planet either.
(I shall await my punishment later Master for speaking out of line.)
If you were making that that please continue, I worked with another guy on Man of the House that posted an update only mod and you know what, we had a great relationship
But take a look at your posts, my grandchildren don't spit their dummy out as much as you.
Try working with us rather than against us and accept your failings as well
I handed them the gun, what they did with it afterward isn't going to cut it, it's not my fault. It is actually, and we will make sure you know it when we refer all broken saves to you
Would you believe we are actually nice guys, but we will defend the dev and the game, and ourselves for that matter, but if anyone wants to help us we will always be grateful.
By all means, continue with your side project, seems like it's a good idea.
Here's the but part
Just don't share the debug key

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: whichone
4.00 star(s) 243 Votes