Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
smh

Dev: We're excited to announce the next release should be in early July!
Mob: BUT WE NEED AN EXACT DATE!!!!
Dev: [sigh] We want to make sure it's a working bugfree update, so it's being tested and we're not completely sure...
Mob: FUCK THAT, WE NEED A DATE!!!!!!
Dev: [wincing] Ummm, how about July 11th? No promises, but that sounds reasonable to reasonable people
Mob: THANK YOU WE LOVE YOU WE LOVE YOUR GAME IT'S THE BESTEST!!!
[July 11th ends with no update]
Mob:
View attachment 123329
I don’t remember him ever giving a date? Where did he say so?

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I don’t remember him ever giving a date? Where did he say so?
I think that was in reference to how people act, not just here.

Go to the thread of any game and you see a constant stream of "next update?", "date for next update" or some other way of asking for a date.

Problem is as soon as a dev gives a date and misses it for whatever reason you get complete fuckstains flooding the forums with "fucking dev is milking", "look at all the shit excuses".

It has reached the point where no devs give out exact dates anymore. Most devs avoid rough dates and usually just give a month or say "when it's ready".

spellbreaker

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, everything depends on the bugs, could be a day, could be a week or two.
A week of bugtesting is really eyebrow raising, since this is ren'py, how buggy could be your code to fuck it up that bad :D It should be a few days at most, really, from what I estimate

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
A week of bugtesting is really eyebrow raising, since this is ren'py, how buggy could be your code to fuck it up that bad :D It should be a few days at most, really, from what I estimate
Considering that they're saying this is going to be a big update and that even the slightest thing in coding can cause problems, yeah a week is a good estimate. Hell, I'd say it may even be a short estimate.

Reactions: IceBearApproves

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
The bug testing should be fairly easy for this sort of game, the game mechanics are fairly simple and mostly handled by the engine itself. What probably takes a fair bit more time is the play testing/proof reading. As the text is the most likely place to run into errors with this sort of game, and it isn't just down to spell checking and grammar. They also have to make sure the characters have unique voices and outlooks on the world and that the text is properly portraying those. They also have to stay vigilant in regards to continuity, making sure the text faithfully matches up with the current point in the time line of events and that everyone is where they're supposed to be at any given moment.

A lot of this can be considered logic bugs, so in a way I suppose it may count as bug testing if you really want to look at it that way. But I'd say in general it should take about as long as it takes to do a 100% play through for someone who's already well familiar with the game. So they can just skim over the older material and focus on doing a deeper study of the newest parts, but still making sure they fit properly with the old material. So a few days on average, barring any serious problems that require a fair bit of reworking.

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
Ahaha, foh. :))) You got no idea how software engineering or Renpy gamedev works, dude. Classic white knight.
You're right my knowledge of coding is only limited. I'm not a Renpy dev nor a software engineer, nor a computer scientist. I do however understand that bug testing isn't that simple and can take time, as fixing a bug might cause problems elsewhere. As well, are you a software engineer or a gamedev? Because if not then you don't really have the right to start calling me out on this either. I'm not some "white knight", I'm simply realistic in that it might take time. Do I hope the bugtesting takes a week? No, but I'm also not expecting it to be out in a day. The way I figure it, better aim later than sooner, to avoid disappointment and any over-hyping I might do for myself. With development on things like games I find it's better to expect it later than sooner.

4.50 star(s) 189 Votes