VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Not gonna lie, I thought this game was abandoned.
Yeah, same here. I saw it in latest updates, saw the OP and thought: "Hm, why does this seem so familiar." :)
It's been a very, very rough year, but I've done my best to keep everyone in the loop about what's been going on. I post public updates (no paywall) every week that detail what I've done and what still needs to be done, just so nobody thinks I've vanished or died.

For the curious, of just what made this year so difficult for me, though I understand if nobody really wants to get into the weeds on that.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
It's been a very, very rough year, but I've done my best to keep everyone in the loop about what's been going on. I post public updates (no paywall) every week that detail what I've done and what still needs to be done, just so nobody thinks I've vanished or died.

For the curious, of just what made this year so difficult for me, though I understand if nobody really wants to get into the weeds on that.

No problem, wasn't criticism, just an observation.
With so many games I follow and play on here, I'd spend most my day on keeping up with the game threads or the devs sites, so I just keep up with few of them and otherwise just check games if they pop up in latest updates, but it's great that you do try to keep people informed.

You already mentioned your difficult times in regard to my previous comment, so I already knew about it, but again, my post wasn't in any way meant as an attack against you.
It was a really pleasant surprise to see this was still being worked on, and even better to now actually get the new update.

Keep up the good work and I hope you have a better year ahead of you and work on your game progresses steadily (still wishing you a better time, even IF it doesn't make the next update come any faster, of course :) )

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
No problem, wasn't criticism, just an observation.
With so many games I follow and play on here, I'd spend most my day on keeping up with the game threads or the devs sites, so I just keep up with few of them and otherwise just check games if they pop up in latest updates, but it's great that you do try to keep people informed.

You already mentioned your difficult times in regard to my previous comment, so I already knew about it, but again, my post wasn't in any way meant as an attack against you.
It was a really pleasant surprise to see this was still being worked on, and even better to now actually get the new update.

Keep up the good work and I hope you have a better year ahead of you and work on your game progresses steadily (still wishing you a better time, even IF it doesn't make the next update come any faster, of course :) )

Oh, I know you weren't attacking or anything, just wanted to address both the posts at the same time, sorry!

I still feel horribly guilty about how long this update has taken, even if the game is free. :(

HBKTheIcon69

Dec 25, 2018
Oh, I know you weren't attacking or anything, just wanted to address both the posts at the same time, sorry!

I still feel horribly guilty about how long this update has taken, even if the game is free. :(
Good to see that you're doing what you can trust that's the most anyone can hope to do given really how matters in the world as a whole have gotten. BTW seems like the download links for mega and mixdrop seem to be broken as for mega I get "server not found" and mixdrop is "sorry can't find the file you're looking for"

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Good to see that you're doing what you can trust that's the most anyone can hope to do given really how matters in the world as a whole have gotten. BTW seems like the download links for mega and mixdrop seem to be broken as for mega I get "server not found" and mixdrop is "sorry can't find the file you're looking for"
That's strange... all three Mega links in the OP work for me (and the three on my site as well). Try the ones on to see if those work?

Mixdrop's PC download does seem to be broken, however; I'll let the uploaders know about that.

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
That's strange... all three Mega links in the OP work for me (and the three on my site as well). Try the ones on to see if those work?

Mixdrop's PC download does seem to be broken, however; I'll let the uploaders know about that.
my next playthrough I'll be clicking on every word.

• Haha
Reactions: Nine of Swords

HBKTheIcon69

Dec 25, 2018

Yeah I just did some research that for mega.nz it's the country servers for example my country has had reports for the server being down where other countries it is working.

• Sad

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
So......I have to play through all the scenes with some of my favorite characters in all of gaming again?

Ok :love:
Been doing that for the pas hour or so, and discovering little things I didn't notice the first time, or have forgotten. Was that Cece I saw? She looked happy.
This is a good day.

TheDick69+

Jun 29, 2021
That the old save doesn't function doesn't matter at all. As I had completely forgotten what was going on in this game. All i remember is that I liked it, so a replay will just be fun. Hoping for a better year for you Nine, not only for a quicker update! ;)(y)

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
So......I have to play through all the scenes with some of my favorite characters in all of gaming again?

Ok :love:
In all of gaming??? Don't give me an ego, here!

Been doing that for the pas hour or so, and discovering little things I didn't notice the first time, or have forgotten. Was that Cece I saw? She looked happy.
This is a good day.
I'm... honestly not sure who Cece is, so any cameo made by her is coincidental. :( Glad she's happy, though!

That the old save doesn't function doesn't matter at all. As I had completely forgotten what was going on in this game. All i remember is that I liked it, so a replay will just be fun. Hoping for a better year for you Nine, not only for a quicker update! ;)(y)
Chapter Three is about the midpoint of the whole story; it's all downhill from here, so I shouldn't have to take nearly as long for future updates. I can't see it ending up to be more than five chapters. It depends on the reception to Chapter Three if I need more work to clarify (or obfuscate) things.

Though I appreciate the well wishes! I really hope 2023 isn't as mean to me as 2022 was. But hey, I don't have many pets or relatives left!

(God, that was dark, sorry for that joke!)

cubba

Jul 12, 2018
The "Detective Mode" (or whatever it was called) is confusing me. I'm not sure if there is actually something i can click on in the text or if I'm being trolled.
Can anyone give me an example how it is supposed to look or what is supposed to happen?

RandomGuy99

Nov 11, 2018
I've tried to run the game but all i see is exceptions error. If i use the older version of renpy, then there is a bunch of error on the name and gender. It very buggy
Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/stats.rpy", line 117: invalid syntax
            raise TypeError, "Supplied value '{0}' for key '{1}' does not " \
                            ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Tue Nov  1 01:33:20 2022

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
The "Detective Mode" (or whatever it was called) is confusing me. I'm not sure if there is actually something i can click on in the text or if I'm being trolled.
Can anyone give me an example how it is supposed to look or what is supposed to happen?
The text will look just like any other text; it's just an extra thing for people to find if they notice peculiar things that are said in the dialogue. I don't wanna give any specific examples, but I bet someone else in the thread would be willing to chime in. <3

I've tried to run the game but all i see is exceptions error. If i use the older version of renpy, then there is a bunch of error on the name and gender. It very buggy
Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/stats.rpy", line 117: invalid syntax
            raise TypeError, "Supplied value '{0}' for key '{1}' does not " \
                            ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Tue Nov  1 01:33:20 2022
Does this happen if you run the .exe included in the zip file? I'd heard of people who have this issue running it via Ren'Py (which I didn't even know was something you could do), but running it as a standalone may work better.

Reactions: HogRocket

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
Cece is the girl suffering from severe depression in Leap of Faith. Basically the catalyst for the entire story.
Yup. There's a girl in the background when Kylie is on the phone with Rain (I think that was the scene). Looked a bit like CeCe to me, and we know a lot of the best games have little crossovers sometimes.

• Red Heart

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Yup. There's a girl in the background when Kylie is on the phone with Rain (I think that was the scene). Looked a bit like CeCe to me, and we know a lot of the best games have little crossovers sometimes.
OH! That's not Cece, but it is someone of note: That's Rin.

Reactions: Antosha and Jarulf

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
OH! That's not Cece, but it is someone of note:
Oh. Either she had bunny slippers on (which is a thing in Leap of Faith) or I really should give my eyes a rest.

Either way I am thoroughly enjoying my replay (with slightly different choices - gonna be faithful to Tara) and I haven't even got to the new stuff yet.
You're really one of the best VN writers I've come across so far.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Oh. Either she had bunny slippers on (which is a thing in Leap of Faith) or I really should give my eyes a rest.

Either way I am thoroughly enjoying my replay (with slightly different choices - gonna be faithful to Tara) and I haven't even got to the new stuff yet.
You're really one of the best VN writers I've come across so far.
She did indeed have bunny slippers on, which is an amazing coincidence!! I swear, I've never played Leap of Faith, that's just too funny...

Thank you so much for the compliments, though!!! :love:

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
She did indeed have bunny slippers on, which is an amazing coincidence!! I swear, I've never played Leap of Faith, that's just too funny...
And a ponytail. :D
If you ever have the time, I think pretty much everyone who has played LoF would recommend it. And it was completed recently too, so no agonising wait for it to finish.
Anyway, thanks for Mythos.

• Red Heart
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes