VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Ward for later...

That's true in stories where Vampires hold all the power, they need something to balance them.

Vampires aren't the most powerful in this universe and a lot of humans have magic.

Vampire isn't much of a problem when you can Flambé them.
Of course... everyone knows Choco Vampires are at the head of the food chain..

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: HornyyPussy

minoslune

Aug 17, 2017
Awesome game! I really like the humor, its really difficult to find games that have actually funny dialogues and not come out as cringe when telling the jokes. Cant wait for next release :D

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Awesome game! I really like the humor, its really difficult to find games that have actually funny dialogues and not come out as cringe when telling the jokes. Cant wait for next release :D
Thank you so much! You needn't wait long, since Chapter Three comes out Monday!

Unless you're a $5+ Patron, in which case you probably already played Chapter Three. :x

minoslune

Aug 17, 2017
Thank you so much! You needn't wait long, since Chapter Three comes out Monday!

Unless you're a $5+ Patron, in which case you probably already played Chapter Three. :x
Will most definitely consider adding this one to my monthly patreon subs, Ill try chapter three and to be honest with the quality im seeing I think Ill be a patreon for next time. Great job! thank you for this VN!

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Fuck it, I got told one really sick one years ago by my aunt then boyfriend.

I'll put it in a spoiler, it's not the cleanest of jokes and know some people on F95 are precious little flowers so if you are easily offended, don't read the joke.

Little girl is having her birthday and her dad had bought her a little 3 wheeled bike. Dad says to the girl "look honey, I want to make sure you are going to be safe while out on your bike and as i'm with the police I thought we could do some signals and see if you understand them for road safety"...

She replies "sure daddy" and sets off on her first circuit of their street.

When she gets to her dad he holds his left hand straight out and she turns to her right.

"Well done honey" says the dad.

On her second circuit, she gets to her father again and he holds his right hand straight out infront of him and she stops.

"Well done again angel, you are doing great".

On her third circuit she again gets to where her father is and he has cock out.

The girl stops and looks up at her dad and says...

"Awww, daddy, not the breathalyser again"

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
(like, say… about the non-existence of a certain type of furry monster), those can be amplified.
I'm going to be honest - as funny as memes like that can be in the thread, I feel like part of that is because it feels like we're blowing it way farther out of proportion than it was ever meant to be. If you lean into it more in the game, it might run the risk of starting to feel a bit played out.

I'd almost be tempted to say it should never be brought up again, only to whip out one last reference right at the very end, so you still amuse the forum nerds and pay off the long-term brick joke, without becoming too annoying to people playing the game who've never been here and have no idea that it's been a huge running in-joke for a while.

Squirrels don't exist?

:O
I was going to make a joke about the fact that I played a weresquirrel once in a World of Darkness game. Then it occurred to me that I must have told that story before at some point in this thread. But neither "squirrel" nor "weresquirrel" seem to show up in the search thread anywhere, so maybe I didn't? Maybe I'm crazy. Or maybe this is one of those Berenstein Mandala Effect things the kids keep talking about and I did mention it, but now I've fallen into a parallel universe where I never brought it up before.

At any rate, I played a weresquirrel once. Mostly to make fun of werewolf players.

And since all the various Shifter species in the World of Darkness have special roles assigned to them by Gaia, which is supposed to define their entire life's purpose, my weresquirrel was officially "Gaia's Protector of Stray Nuts".

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
At any rate, I played a weresquirrel once. Mostly to make fun of werewolf players.

And since all the various Shifter species in the World of Darkness have special roles assigned to them by Gaia, which is supposed to define their entire life's purpose, my weresquirrel was officially "Gaia's Protector of Stray Nuts".
I've seen some weird and wonderful shifters through various RPG's.

I don't really do PnP stuff myself but I did date a girl years back that was heavily into it and I used to enjoy watching them think up characters. Occasionally there was "that guy" that had to be the most overpowered of the lot but fortunately they were rare.

It's funny when they would bring guys in that would try and show off to the girls. All of us were in relationships with people there, 2 of us were lesbian, 1 was married with kids and the other couple spent as much time sucking each others faces as they did talking to the group. PnP players are a mixed bunch. Mostly awesome but some right nut jobs.

Speaking of nut jobs and shifters. For those not aware of Reddits r/Neckbeards. There is a saga about a guy called Wolfbeard.

Basically he legit thought, or at least acted like, he was a Werewolf. Like straight up. He was pretty much stalking a girl and nearly managed to tear their friend group apart.

I know it's long but honestly, if you get chance to listen to it you won't regret it, it's hilarious.

Also worrying people like that exist.

See Nine, Werewolves exist and they are real.

Also, i've seen the documentary, American Werewolf in London.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
View attachment 2130574

Friday Update? Kinda? October 28th, 2022

Some things about stuff, I guess...

.....and if you WERE to cut a certain high spirited country girl......it would get ugly fast.....UUUUUUuuuuuggggggllllllyyyyyyy:mad:

Like, "village mob with torches and pitchforks hunting vampires" ugly
Like, "torn up by werewolves ugly"
Like, well....you get the idea

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Wow, even thought idea of removing Tara gets that kind of reaction, that makes me happy!

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but when I was making Tara's personality for the game (she didn't have a personality in the novel), I was worried everybody was going to hate her!

• Red Heart
Reactions: HogRocket

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I was worried everybody was going to hate her!
Hate the fun loving best freind with that finally gets her first love?

More fighting talk.

Can't really say I dislike any of the characters. Even Becki with I was amusing.

Tara just kinda fits with Kylie when it comes to relationship dynamic. Kylie is pretty laid back and Tara is more lively. They balance out quite well.

If it was a proper dating sim where you pick one and one only then I will go out on a limb and say Tara is probably the best fit. They have known each other for years, Kylie is Tara's first crush and they know they get along together.

Granted we haven't really got into B's content and I do like all the LI's but I maintain Tara is probably who she should end up with if a kanon lover is needed.

Also the fact that she's a woman that can shift into a giant canine but is most deff not a Werewolf.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Hate the fun loving best freind with that finally gets her first love?

More fighting talk.

Can't really say I dislike any of the characters. Even Becki with I was amusing.

Tara just kinda fits with Kylie when it comes to relationship dynamic. Kylie is pretty laid back and Tara is more lively. They balance out quite well.

If it was a proper dating sim where you pick one and one only then I will go out on a limb and say Tara is probably the best fit. They have known each other for years, Kylie is Tara's first crush and they know they get along together.

Granted we haven't really got into B's content and I do like all the LI's but I maintain Tara is probably who she should end up with if a kanon lover is needed.

Also the fact that she's a woman that can shift into a giant canine but is most deff not a Werewolf.
In the novel, the main character (Jodi) was asexual, Lisa was a friend she'd lost touch with, and Tara was a super minor character at the start of the game that was like "hey, did you hear Lisa Harrison died?" That was the beginning and the end of Tara's impact on the story.

As I re-wrote parts to make it more of a game (and add romance), I kept modifying Tara because she was frankly the easiest to modify; a blank slate, compared to the others. That's how she became basically the "perfect match" for Kylie - all the other characters were set, and not written with the possibility of romance in mind. Tara was made to be romanced.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
It's funny when they would bring guys in that would try and show off to the girls. All of us were in relationships with people there, 2 of us were lesbian, 1 was married with kids and the other couple spent as much time sucking each others faces as they did talking to the group.
My worst in-person game experience (a Werewolf game, ironically) was probably the one where my girlfriend and I played in a game with a dude who was clearly having martial issues, so he'd cope by getting drunk. But his wife would yell at him for drinking, so he'd basically view game day as his opportunity to get away from his wife and get really, really drunk.

And then he'd hit on my girlfriend.

We eventually stopped playing that game because I told her that if it kept happening (we both kind of told him to cut it out, and complained to the GM and asked him to tell him to cut it out, but when he got really drunk he'd do it anyway) I was eventually going to beat the ever-living shit out of him. Which she was kind of okay with (because it really bothered her as well). But we figured it was better to just leave the game rather than it becoming a huge issue.

(The dude later went on to get a divorce (shock!). No clue if he eventually dove straight into full-blown alcoholism, but it could have gone either way.)

The annoying part was that in most groups it would be easier to just ask the problem player to leave rather than have other players bail to get away with him, but he was close friends with the GM so the GM always tried to make excuses for him and it felt like he was always going to take his side. Fortunately, it WAS a Werewolf game, and I always kind of disliked Werewolf anyway (I was mostly there because my girlfriend wanted to play - I'd have much preferred a Vampire or Mage game, or even a Changeling game). So I wasn't too broken up when it fell apart.

About my only real regret was that it was one of the few opportunities I ever really got to just play an RPG. In spite of playing on and off for nears 37 years, I'm almost always the Forever GM when it comes to tabletop gaming. It is my unshakeable destiny to run games for other people, but never play (I honestly think I can count on one hand the number of games where I've actually played).

Hate the fun loving best friend with that finally gets her first love?
There's a trope for that!

...actually, there are multiple tropes for that!

Tara's pretty much a walking billboard with "I AM THE CANON/DEFAULT LOVE INTEREST" written on it in giant blinking letters.

She's the romance black hole from which no player can escape (and I mean that in a good way).

When I started playing, I was rolling with the established backstory, picking the choices that implied I was still totally hung up on Lisa and had never really gotten over our breakup, and was kind of considering playing through the whole game essentially being "loyal" to her memory (and thus pretty much celibate unless we get a deus ex machina sort of ending where we can save Lisa somehow). But Tara basically came in hard with guns blazing (no pun intended) and pretty much swept me off my feet. At which point I was like "Well, we're doing this now, then."

After which I was/am mostly playing monogamous and loyal to Tara (because while she says she's cool with me seeing other people, I kind of feel like Kylie would feel like Tara deserves more/better than that). I've definitely passed up opportunities (and only really went with the Rain scene in a sort of self-sacrifice/"This what I need to do for Lisa's sake" sort of way more than an eager horndog sort of way).

I'd probably go the rest of the game fanatically devoted to Tara (and passing up everyone else) if not for Mara. For some reason she just brings out the really flirty side of Kylie for me. Though I feel like at the moment Kylie's still in a sort of playing games mindset there, so I'm not sure she's even intellectualized the idea of it ever being anything more than playful flirtation. I think if it ever evolves into anything more even Kylie might be surprised that it happened (and maybe even feel a little guilty about it at first).

But yeah, Tara is love.

I like Becki, but I also kind of like the idea that Kylie dreads her. Like whenever she shows up there's sort of an internal groan and a "OH GOD NOT HER" sort of reaction. Like, Becki has essentially reinvented herself too well, and now she's just incredibly annoying. So Kylie sort of has to take a mental deep breath and psych herself up to deal with the drama.

With the tragic truth being that Becky is actually a pretty nice girl who Kylie would get along with fairly well if everyone let their guard down.

...which kind of plays into the overarching narrative that's sort of formed in my head that the underlying theme of Mythos (at least the current story) revolves around the idea of incredibly important things not noticed until too late, and regret for opportunities lost because of it.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
About my only real regret was that it was one of the few opportunities I ever really got to just play an RPG. In spite of playing on and off for nears 37 years, I'm almost always the Forever GM when it comes to tabletop gaming. It is my unshakeable destiny to run games for other people, but never play (I honestly think I can count on one hand the number of games where I've actually played).
I'm in this exact situation. I really, really want to PLAY a Mage, but it seems that nobody wants to RUN Mage. My favourite RPG and I've never played it. A lot of people seem to have trouble comprehending the system (despite me finding it easy to get, and a million times less convoluted than whatever the hell Changeling was doing) so I feel like even if I found a Mage ST, they'd have people memorizing Rote lists or ignoring the whole idea of Paradigmatic magic (the most important part of Mage).

the underlying theme of Mythos (at least the current story) revolves around the idea of incredibly important things not noticed until too late, and regret for opportunities lost because of it.
... you 100% get it.

-------------

Anyway! Here's the fourth poster in the Chapter Three release series! Two more days until Mythos Chapter Three goes public!!!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes