VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
"Boo."

One could interpret that as being apropos for Halloween; equally, the same for having to start over. The trick is in the inflection.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
"All supernaturals have entanglements to deal with"....

B's words.

So my guess is all supernaturals are controlled by Jada Pinkett Smith and they are all having affairs with young rappers.

Sorry, not affairs .... "entanglements".

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Lol@the excessive commas mode. Is it just one of those 'fuck it, why not?' kinda things?

In the chapter one testing, there was a lot of debate over comma usage amongst the proofreaders and myself. The comma preference was born there!

• Haha
Reactions: jhustrue

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Well, this was an utter blast to play. Pretty sure I just scratched the surface and will have to give it a few runs more to encounter whatever I missed.

Something that really struck me as well done is the way the dev handles a characters interaction and expression within conversations and events. The sidelong glances, narrowed brows, and generally fluid antics combined with the text pacing really made the events feel organic, interesting, and/or fun.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Nah, Tara is best girl hands down.
I agree, Tara is best girl.

However with the focus on B for a while I noticed just how gorgeous her model is.

I really like all the LI's to be fair. If there was an option to have sex with any of the side girls i'd deff have to go with the Vampire Queen and Monica.

There is something about the Agent that works for a shady shadow agency.

But, yeah, Tara is deff best girl and if we ever have to pick the she is deff getting wifed up. Jus sayin i'd also have to throw in a replay and wed B too.

And soph.

Also Mara.

Polyandry YAY.

NeoEros

Feb 23, 2022
How does "relationship hint" work exactly? I encounter several choices but can't see any highlighted ones that are normally presented in mods. Does the relationship in the game rely on point system?

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I'll need to find a way to make it easier than it is now, but not so easy so that everyone will discover clues without even thinking about it.
The real problem is that the obsessives are going to find every clue regardless. Whether that means clicking every line of text (and making liberal use of Ren'Py's page back feature), someone making a walkthrough and people just following it, someone hacking directly into the code to see where the links are... people who want to find every clue are going to find every clue, one way or another.

So what you're basically doing is hiding clues for the people who are mildly interested but not interested enough to care all that much if they miss something (the intersection between the apathetics who don't really care about the clues at all and the obsessives who are going to hunt them all). So what you probably want is something that is helpful for those people, without worrying about what the obsessives are going to do (like, say, mouse over everything looking for magnifying glasses or whatever).

Other games with "hidden" content do it in different ways. Some have a little indicator pop up on a screen/in a conversation when a hidden clue is present, without explicitly showing what that clue is. Some have a submenu you can go in to show you which clues you've found, and offer hints for the ones you haven't. But the obsessives are going to game the system no matter how you choose to do it.

You could potentially leave it up to the player to decide for themselves if they want the challenge of finding or just the lazy reward of getting the clues - have a toggle in the menu that either highlights or hints at clues, or doesn't. So people who want the easy way can opt out of the challenge, while people who want to look can just do it the hard way. But then the problem is that most people might just be inclined to toggle easy mode, thus kind of defeating what you're trying to do.

I got the idea from Danganronpa - in that game, sometimes text will appear purple if you want to learn more, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from clicking on every purple thing to see all the extra info, so why have purple text at all? Just make that part of the normal dialogue.
Reminds me of how Final Fantasy II used dialogue (and how multiple later point-and-click adventures handled parsing). You'd talk to someone, and there would be highlighted words in what they say. Which then unlock those terms for them (and other people), so you can ask questions about those topics. But only if you discover those topics in the first place (for a Mythos-flavored example, you can't really ask anyone about what a Beacon is if you've never heard the term Beacon used before or have any knowledge of its context, but if you talk to someone who mentions it, then you'd be able to bring it up to other people in the future).

But in that case it was intended to encourage exploration of dialogue trees, whereas you're trying to use it for a different purpose. So it's not entirely analogous.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Ooookay, I am a genius detective.

Murder Solved.....

She aint dead, we can all go home YAY.
From early on in the story, my theory was that she wasn't dead, just trapped in a pocket dimension or something. Or at least her soul is. Or she's only "mostly dead". Or something along those lines. Which is why I've occasionally made comments about "if she comes back in the end", and what effect that would have on in-game relationships.

I'm trying to hold off offering opinions or analysis of the new chapter until after more people have had time to play through it, though. I want people to marinate their brains in the plot juices before I start pontificating.

• Thinking Face

MisterNephilim

Jan 1, 2019
From early on in the story, my theory was that she wasn't dead, just trapped in a pocket dimension or something. Or at least her soul is. Or she's only "mostly dead". Or something along those lines. Which is why I've occasionally made comments about "if she comes back in the end", and what effect that would have on in-game relationships.

I'm trying to hold off offering opinions or analysis of the new chapter until after more people have had time to play through it, though. I want people to marinate their brains in the plot juices before I start pontificating.
She's not the same person since she says that "MC is cheating on her" meaning she has 2 years aprox. of memories lost, might be another soul (or demon) inhabiting the body

• Thinking Face

jufot

May 15, 2021
This was a beautiful update, but I can't say that the reveal was a surprise. For those of us who play with the script open, it was obvious since day one. After all, why have a variable named mc_missed_lisa if she wasn't going to come back later? :)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
This was a beautiful update, but I can't say that the reveal was a surprise. For those of us who play with the script open, it was obvious since day one. After all, why have a variable named mc_missed_lisa if she wasn't going to come back later? :)
Because it's relevent to some of the relationships.

Nine has already said Lisa isn't a love interest and won't be "coming back". The Lisa that turned up isn't her, whatever is in her was acting like they were still together and they have been apart for 2 years.

Lisa's soul is completely gone so whatever is in her body isn't her.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Nine has already said Lisa isn't a love interest and won't be "coming back". The Lisa that turned up isn't her, whatever is in her was acting like they were still together and they have been apart for 2 years.

Lisa's soul is completely gone so whatever is in her body isn't her.
Ah, I wasn't aware of this and it kind of ruins things for me. I was looking forward to some inter-LI conflict resulting from her appearance. Lisa acting like they were still together didn't sound like a red flag to me, as it can be easily explained away in all sorts of ways in a fantasy world. Maybe she made a backup of her soul two years ago, which got automatically restored? It would fit well with a "soulsculptor" :)

Reactions: damnedfrog

catnapper

Aug 29, 2021
Ah, I wasn't aware of this and it kind of ruins things for me. I was looking forward to some inter-LI conflict resulting from her appearance. Lisa acting like they were still together didn't sound like a red flag to me, as it can be easily explained away in all sorts of ways in a fantasy world. Maybe she made a backup of her soul two years ago, which got automatically restored? It would fit well with a "soulsculptor" :)
I immediately thought it was a fake/shapeshifter - the last thing we need is "Bobby Ewing in the shower" nonsense.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes