VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Does this happen if you run the .exe included in the zip file? I'd heard of people who have this issue running it via Ren'Py (which I didn't even know was something you could do), but running it as a standalone may work better.
It must be due to an incompatibility between the version of Ren'Py which RandomGuy used and the one with which the game was built (7.4.8). Being on a Mac, I sometimes use the latest version of Ren'Py to run games which have no Mac version (or whose Mac version is behind the Windows/Linux version), some work well, some don't. I just tried with "Mythos", it creates an error at start with Ren'Py 8.0.2.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
It must be due to an incompatibility between the version of Ren'Py which RandomGuy used and the one with which the game was built (7.4.8). Being on a Mac, I sometimes use the latest version of Ren'Py to run games which have no Mac version (or whose Mac version is behind the Windows/Linux version), some work well, some don't. I just tried with "Mythos", it creates an error at the start with Ren'Py 8.0.2.
I may need to put a disclaimer on the game to only run it with the packaged .exe, since this is probably going to keep happening.

Reactions: Udayana

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
It must be due to an incompatibility between the version of Ren'Py which RandomGuy used and the one with which the game was built (7.4.8). Being on a Mac, I sometimes use the latest version of Ren'Py to run games which have no Mac version (or whose Mac version is behind the Windows/Linux version), some work well, some don't. I just tried with "Mythos", it creates an error at start with Ren'Py 8.0.2.
:) But it was only a test, since you kindly compiled the game for the Mac I can play without any problem.

• Red Heart

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Hi I want to ask, is this error only on app JoiPlay or no errors at all. View attachment 2137577
I had to ask around about this, because I didn't know what JoiPlay even was. Is this something you're using to play the PC version on Android? I made a dedicated Android build, so I don't know if I can help with the Windows build running on anything but Windows.

Is the Android version not working?

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
In all of gaming??? Don't give me an ego, here!

I'm... honestly not sure who Cece is, so any cameo made by her is coincidental. :( Glad she's happy, though!
Yup, love these girls.

She did indeed have bunny slippers on, which is an amazing coincidence!! I swear, I've never played Leap of Faith, that's just too funny...

Thank you so much for the compliments, though!!! :love:

You should play LoF, but only when you're in a good place mentally. It deals with depression and suicide in a very real and painful manner, yet is ultimately very uplifting. Very, very good storytelling - and lots of hotties :LOL::LOL:

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Really enjoyed Ch. 3, as expected -- including the guest appearances from some of my other favorite games! The Harry Dresden vibe is still strong in this one, which I love.

I will say, though, Investigation Mode was a bit... frustrating. I clicked on every dialogue box that came up (immediately triggering the next), and managed to trigger a couple of clues, but I have no idea why those, and why not the others. :unsure:

• Thinking Face

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Really enjoyed Ch. 3, as expected -- including the guest appearances from some of my other favorite games! The Harry Dresden vibe is still strong in this one, which I love.

I will say, though, Investigation Mode was a bit... frustrating. I clicked on every dialogue box that came up (immediately triggering the next), and managed to trigger a couple of clues, but I have no idea why those, and why not the others. :unsure:
I may have been a bit naive with my implementation of Investigation Mode; I didn't intend for people to be scouring the text to find every one (I even made sure not to have an achievement for that), but rather have every now and then someone say "hey, that's weird" and click on something to see if there's more to it.

I got the idea from Danganronpa - in that game, sometimes text will appear purple if you want to learn more, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from clicking on every purple thing to see all the extra info, so why have purple text at all? Just make that part of the normal dialogue.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Antosha

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
I am confusion!
Last ep ends with agent saying lisa is your ex, this ep ends with her saying they went on a date but she didn't even get a kiss....i pressed the suspicious statement but no clue

• Thinking Face

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
I may have been a bit naive with my implementation of Investigation Mode; I didn't intend for people to be scouring the text to find every one (I even made sure not to have an achievement for that), but rather have every now and then someone say "hey, that's weird" and click on something to see if there's more to it.

I got the idea from Danganronpa - in that game, sometimes text will appear purple if you want to learn more, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from clicking on every purple thing to see all the extra info, so why have purple text at all? Just make that part of the normal dialogue.
I totally get where you're coming from from a storytelling perspective -- and I kinda like the idea of random bits of lore hiding between the cracks. But the clues that I did uncover (again, not sure how!) seemed... important. So perhaps finding some subtle visual clue -- a magnifying glass icon? colored text? not very subtle, I know -- to give us some sort of indication that (if we want to) we can look for something interesting would be appreciated (from a gameplay perspective).

ETA: I'm having fun trying to figure out who (or what) Becki-with-an-i actually is. Heh.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
I totally get where you're coming from from a storytelling perspective -- and I kinda like the idea of random bits of lore hiding between the cracks. But the clues that I did uncover (again, not sure how!) seemed... important. So perhaps finding some subtle visual clue -- a magnifying glass icon? colored text? not very subtle, I know -- to give us some sort of indication that (if we want to) we can look for something interesting would be appreciated (from a gameplay perspective).
I'll need to find a way to make it easier than it is now, but not so easy so that everyone will discover clues without even thinking about it.

I'm not sure if the magnifying glass idea is doable with Ren'Py code (I'm no coder), but that also seems like it'd be pretty obvious as people would just run their cursor over all the text to see when it changes.

It's certainly something I'm thinking about for when work starts on Chapter Four!

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
I'll need to find a way to make it easier than it is now, but not so easy so that everyone will discover clues without even thinking about it.

I'm not sure if the magnifying glass idea is doable with Ren'Py code (I'm no coder), but that also seems like it'd be pretty obvious as people would just run their cursor over all the text to see when it changes.

It's certainly something I'm thinking about for when work starts on Chapter Four!
Huh. I did try running my cursor over the text -- but obviously not carefully enough!

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Huh. I did try running my cursor over the text -- but obviously not carefully enough!
Oh, nono, I meant that's what people would do, if I had it turn into a magnifying glass when hovering over a clue. The clues are a bit too not-obvious, I suppose!

• Haha
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes