VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

tsunku

Engaged Member
Nov 6, 2017
this is pretty good tho it had some major cringe moments that remind me of stephen pastis, ie: dead and berried....
the ending is a major WTF?!@? writing is pretty good as i still haven't a clue who is really trustworthy haha or who dun it.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Y'all are active when I'm sleeping!!! Let me see if my coffee has kicked in enough for all this...

How does "relationship hint" work exactly? I encounter several choices but can't see any highlighted ones that are normally presented in mods. Does the relationship in the game rely on point system?
The "relationship hint" setting is just a walkthrough. There's no point system - when you have a shot and getting into something with one of the girls, it'll be marked with the hint (ie - "Tara Path"). It will likewise mark choices that will end a relationship, so you don't accidentally break up with anybody.

Since romance is secondary (or maybe even tertiary) to the story of the game, I decided not to do any sort of complicated framework. If you want to hook up with a girl, it's not a difficult task.

Because it's relevent to some of the relationships.

Nine has already said Lisa isn't a love interest and won't be "coming back". The Lisa that turned up isn't her, whatever is in her was acting like they were still together and they have been apart for 2 years.

Lisa's soul is completely gone so whatever is in her body isn't her.
I've been very careful with my wording regarding all things Lisa, including verb tenses. I hopefully haven't slipped up in that, but rest assured that the end of Chapter Three, and what comes after, was planned long before anybody saw Chapter One.

"Bobby Ewing in the shower"
I love that you made this reference!!!

this is pretty good tho it had some major cringe moments that remind me of stephen pastis, ie: dead and berried....
Well, in the case of Tara's jokes, they're intentionally cringe! The real-life friend Tara is largely based on has assaulted me with awful jokes for years, so I'm passing that pain along to my audience. Enjoy!

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Though how did the waitress we've never seen before know the MC's name when it was never given to her in any capacity?
Never trust a woman with a big Pickle :unsure::unsure:
Everyone who works at the diner is a meta reference. The "pickle waitress" is Eris, the former dev of Harem Highlander. She calls you by the name of her MC by accident at first, because she forgot which game she was in.

There's a hidden scene with her and Jizzabelle (also from Harem Highlander) in Chapter Three if you know how to find it...

NeoEros

Feb 23, 2022
Y'all are active when I'm sleeping!!! Let me see if my coffee has kicked in enough for all this...

The "relationship hint" setting is just a walkthrough. There's no point system - when you have a shot and getting into something with one of the girls, it'll be marked with the hint (ie - "Tara Path"). It will likewise mark choices that will end a relationship, so you don't accidentally break up with anybody.

Since romance is secondary (or maybe even tertiary) to the story of the game, I decided not to do any sort of complicated framework. If you want to hook up with a girl, it's not a difficult task.

I've been very careful with my wording regarding all things Lisa, including verb tenses. I hopefully haven't slipped up in that, but rest assured that the end of Chapter Three, and what comes after, was planned long before anybody saw Chapter One.

I love that you made this reference!!!

Well, in the case of Tara's jokes, they're intentionally cringe! The real-life friend Tara is largely based on has assaulted me with awful jokes for years, so I'm passing that pain along to my audience. Enjoy!
Thank you Nine! I guess I just become a bit stereotypical after playing many Ren'Py games that center primarily on point system, so seeing one that has only "hook up/don't hook up" choices is quite new for me, but the story itself is very compelling to the point that I start focusing on the story itself rather than lewd scenes or relationship buildup (since there isn't one). Chapter 3 certainly is one step above the previous contents and the end of it subverts my expectation (I wouldn't say I didn't expect it to happen at all, but I thought it would take at least five chapters till we get to see that unexpected event), really looking forward to future updates!

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Mara orders a regular Black coffee during her impromptu visit with Sophia- but then wants sugar and creamer during the date. Suspicious I say :unsure::unsure::unsure:

The game's afoot Watson
Someone else pointed this out, but I have an explanation (since I didn't want people agonizing over this): When Mara orders a black coffee at Landie's, she's miserable and suffering from insomnia. When she's on her date, she's feeling good and social and not necessarily sleepy.

Spyderwraith

Jul 21, 2017
Someone else pointed this out, but I have an explanation (since I didn't want people agonizing over this): When Mara orders a black coffee at Landie's, she's miserable and suffering from insomnia. When she's on her date, she's feeling good and social and not necessarily sleepy.
Fair point-
but on that same token- the beginning of Chapter 3 you indicate that there are hidden clues so I over analyzed every single word and clicked and double clicked every passage and I'm fairly certain I still missed things.
The over analyzing and agonizing ship has sailed my friend :ROFLMAO::p

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Fair point-
but on that same token- the beginning of Chapter 3 you indicate that there are hidden clues so I over analyzed every single word and clicked and double clicked every passage and I'm fairly certain I still missed things.
The over analyzing and agonizing ship has sailed my friend :ROFLMAO::p
I know I know, and I encourage that! :ROFLMAO: That's why I wanna just blatantly state that Mara's coffee is not a part of any sort of mystery!

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I immediately thought it was a fake/shapeshifter - the last thing we need is "Bobby Ewing in the shower" nonsense.
Amen to that! (wait.....I might use that one myself :unsure:)

Friends that assault you with awful jokes for years are TIGHT!
Exactly!

hmmmm, that sounds an awful lot like "rationalizing to the readers to cover up a minor plot screw up" territory there

EOY.gif

( something I will DEFINITELY have to remember, as I'm going to make SOOooo many mistakes and get called on them :ROFLMAO:)

Aug 16, 2022
I haven't had the chance to play yet, so I've just skipped about a half dozen pages of posts here. I hope I didn't miss anything important..

But I wanted to say, getting back into Mythos is somehow... comforting? The music, the animated bits, especially the characters, all of whom are.. I don't even know how to say it. Perfect? Each one suits his or her role, is very well modeled, has believable dialog, and feels right for the story. I can't even pick a favorite (It's B).

I know it's just my subjective opinion, but I can't help feeling that this game is a rare kind of achievement.

You should feel very proud, Nine.

Cernunnos.

May 27, 2017
I'll be real, as soon as that 'Investigation Mode' notice popped up after the end of book two my interest fell through the floor. Absolutely despise these kind of additions as its less about any kind of detective work and more about figuring out the thought process of the dev (and in the case of a particularly snarky dev having them mock players because we don't think exactly like them).

• Angry
Reactions: Avaron1974

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
I'll be real, as soon as that 'Investigation Mode' notice popped up after the end of book two my interest fell through the floor. Absolutely despise these kind of additions as its less about any kind of detective work and more about figuring out the thought process of the dev (and in the case of a particularly snarky dev having them mock players because we don't think exactly like them).
Totally understandable, really. I'm not going to mock anybody; I fully expect nobody to get all of them, or even most of them. I was just trying to give the players a chance to feel more like an investigator than someone clicking on multiple choice boxes.

jhustrue

Mar 3, 2020
Totally understandable, really. I'm not going to mock anybody; I fully expect nobody to get all of them, or even most of them. I was just trying to give the players a chance to feel more like an investigator than someone clicking on multiple choice boxes.
Does that part have an effect on the game or was it just for flavor?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I'm starting to feel pretty proud now, with all the positive reception! After a really low year, and feeling immense guilt at how long the update was taking, I feel much better now.
You should feel proud. There is a reason we enjoy your work.

The writing is funny when it needs to be without trying too hard. There is enough world building that feels familiar while also feeling unique to keep people wanting to learn more and the characters are all well done.

It's a genuinely enjoyable game with a bit extra with detective mode for those that like to dig a bit deeper.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes