VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Damn what a creation! Just found out about this game recently and glad tried it, this is some real quality out there. It's a thriller but it tempers down that feeling of something mystical with appropriate themes like humor, romance which are quite well executed too. And then suddenly an incident happens in the story and it catches you off guard and makes the story even more thrilling, certainly as a player it has given a lot of food for thought about both the gameplay in general and along with who can be the potential evil out there. And the cliffhanger of chapter 4, really it sends all kinds of theories in all kinds of direction, intriguing what lies ahead for MC.
Hi, there! Thank you so much for the kind words!!!

1. The title says book 1, so is it gonna be like a trilogy? Or is it like book 1 will conclude Lisa's story and future books when they develop that is will have seperate stories which might be linked up with book 1 perhaps?
It's going to be more than a trilogy, hopefully! My plan is to keep making Mythos universe fiction in some form (games or books or comics or whatever) until I die.

2. Is there any rough estimate of how many chapters the book 1 will contain? As a player playing such solid plotline, it's natural to expect that the Dev that has written so well actually would know where the story would conclude. Is that really the case, like as a Dev have you planned like some initial outlines about how the conclusion of the book 1 will look like and hence potentially how many chapters will it include?
There will be a total of 6 chapters. Chapter Five is the last "investigative" chapter, then you choose a suspect to accuse of the murder. Chapter Six will be the accusation, the fallout of that accusation, and the epilogue.

Those are the few questions that were there, which personally as a player when answered would really give more clarity while playing the game which is appreciated! Also, Dunno if this game is released on Steam or not but if that happens surely it will be a banger when it drops there.
I do plan to release this on Steam when it's all done! At that point, I think I have to remove the free version because Steam doesn't like when you can get a game for cheaper anywhere else, from what I'm told. So be sure to grab it while you can before I go that route! :D

Apr 29, 2021
Hi, there! Thank you so much for the kind words!!!

It's going to be more than a trilogy, hopefully! My plan is to keep making Mythos universe fiction in some form (games or books or comics or whatever) until I die.

There will be a total of 6 chapters. Chapter Five is the last "investigative" chapter, then you choose a suspect to accuse of the murder. Chapter Six will be the accusation, the fallout of that accusation, and the epilogue.

I do plan to release this on Steam when it's all done! At that point, I think I have to remove the free version because Steam doesn't like when you can get a game for cheaper anywhere else, from what I'm told. So be sure to grab it while you can before I go that route! :D
That is certainly quite some promising bits of information, quite glad you answered the questions patiently and comprehensively.

Also a total of 6 chapters wow! So that means we already might have a lot of clues on our hands to do some guess work along with a big next chapter lined up potentially, certainly that would personally induce another playthrough, didn't think the book 1 was so close to the accusation.

Along with that there is one question to ask although it's a bit of a spoiler so guess better to use a spoiler tag for that:-

Is it possible for Lisa to return fully? The short interaction we had with her in chapter 4 in MC's apartment kinda gave expectations for her. So is it possible for her to come back or is it like impossible? Asking this as it would allow to be mentally ready if she's not gonna return back ever, as her romance path will be quite interesting indeed, though if she's not returning then it would be better not think about it and hence avoid disappointment . It is completely understandable if you choose not to answer the question due to spoiler reasons though if there's any slight chance that you can answer it would definitely be appreciated! As a player it was an irresistible question to ask and hence it was asked lol

With that, and rest of the information provided it's clearly evident that it's a quality production along with that the plan of future production of more Mythos games/fiction sounds mouth watering lol, wish that pans out quite well.

Also it was great to visit your website it's also quite informative, checked it out after playing the latest update and would also recommend it to others who haven't already. As a single dev making the game it gives a lot of insight about the project itself which again is welcoming!

After going through information there it was also understandable about how your update cycles worked in the past as on seeing the game first time there was a doubt about whether the game will be completed or not as the updates seemed quite less frequent, but your regular weekly updates eased matters and helped understand situations, hopefully things go smoother with future chapters and as players we get more of this quality game sooner as it's really deserving and worth it!

Thanks for replying back Dev, best wishes for ahead:)

Last edited:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Along with that there is one question to ask although it's a bit of a spoiler so guess better to use a spoiler tag for that:-

Is it possible for Lisa to return fully? The short interaction we had with her in chapter 4 in MC's apartment kinda gave expectations for her. So is it possible for her to come back or is it like impossible? Asking this as it would allow to be mentally ready if she's not gonna return back ever, as her romance path will be quite interesting indeed, though if she's not returning then it would be better not think about it and hence avoid disappointment . It is completely understandable if you choose not to answer the question due to spoiler reasons though if there's any slight chance that you can answer it would definitely be appreciated! As a player it was an irresistible question to ask and hence it was asked lol
I was actually about to answer this (in a kinda vague-cryptic way), but then I remembered that "Ask the Dev" and "Ask the Cast" are coming up soon, so maybe that'd be a good time to ask!

Oh, did I not mention those are coming up? Then I guess I will in this week's update. SPEAKING OF WHICH:

update20230804.jpg

Weekly Update - August 4th, 2023

Anybody feeling like "Ask the Dev" or "Ask the Cast" is coming...?

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
I was actually about to answer this (in a kinda vague-cryptic way), but then I remembered that "Ask the Dev" and "Ask the Cast" are coming up soon, so maybe that'd be a good time to ask!

Oh, did I not mention those are coming up? Then I guess I will in this week's update. SPEAKING OF WHICH:

View attachment 2825797

are coming up: “ ” and “ “!
awesome-yes.gif

Also best of luck with your work situation:).

Apr 29, 2021

View attachment 2825797

Lol that was a tease. Was half expecting an answer on Lisa but seriously this is better, loads of useful information!

Though you have mentioned in your post on the website that the characters might lie so don't know who to trust so the answer about Lisa might wait; also kinda think that the dream MC had in the very beginning of the game, might be a big clue actually(half wishing Lisa returns and we get a romance path for her too at the end), but it makes one thing more clearer: ANOTHER playthrough is surely needed!

Also wish that the work condition you explained gets smoother and you get what you want

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020

View attachment 2825797

Just to say, I don't like this.
And this character is ugly.
:ROFLMAO:

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Also best of luck with your work situation:).
Also wish that the work condition you explained gets smoother and you get what you want
At my company, we've almost all fallen into telecommuting at the beginning of the pandemic.
Since, our office has move to a smaller place, and we don't have an assigned desk anymore (apart a few of us that have to be here, like the technical team). If you want to work at the office, you have to reserve a desk each day. And there are not enough desks for all the employees. So we are mostly teleworking.
I miss a bit the interactions with my coworkers. But I still feel lucky, it's save more than 3h a day in commuting and hundreds of $ in gas by month.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

View attachment 2825797

Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes with a Mornay Sauce, Served in a Provençale Manner, with Shallots and Aubergines, Garnished with Truffle Pâté, Brandy, and with a Fried Egg on Top — and
SPAM.gif

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
(Regarding the novelization of Book One)

I've mentioned this a few times before; Mythos: Book One is based on a novel I'd already written, but there were some big differences:

• Tara was an extremely minor character. She literally only existed to let the main character know Lisa had died, and then never came up again.
  • The main character wasn't Kylie/Kyle Nelson, but was Jodi Nelson! Yes, the same Jodi you see in Chapter Four. Jodi is asexual, so no relationship stuff was in the book at all.
  • B was non-binary and completely gender ambiguous. Back when I wrote it, I didn't even know that about myself, and it was kind of a running joke that "hey, B is hot... but we don't know if they're male or female and we'd feel rude to ask." I wrote this long ago, before "asking for pronouns" was ever really a widespread thing.
  • Sophia was a pothead. Also, CyberDaze's polo shirts were red - not a super crucial detail, but at the time "CyberDaze" was supposed to be a sort of parody of "Circuit City".
  • Rain was an older woman, and also a Mage! I moved all of Rain's magey aspects to other characters.
  • Becki (With an I) and a character who became Aiden Drest weren't in the book, but were planned for a future installment.
  • Many characters just didn't exist at all in the novel: Mara, Sylvia, Rami, Rin, Cecil, Desmond, Violet, Madam Luna, Sparky, Melanie, Edda and Jessica Lee.
  • Monica was a mysterious figure who's Bureau affiliation wasn't revealed until the end of the book.
  • Lisa's murderer was a totally different character.
  • Lisa didn't reappear in any capacity. (Chapter Three/Four spoiler)
If I release the novel now, I would make it almost all like the game, but Kylie would be the main character (Jodi appearing as a side character to come up later, like in the game). Also, there'd only be one love interest - Tara. Kylie and Tara would be the canonical relationship, and B would go back to being totally gender-ambiguous.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

Okay, having just been introduced to this since I wasn't around the last time it came up (I think), I just have two more things to say:

1) Banging Soundtrack!

2) I'm now excited about a Mythos M:TG set! I love things like that (or Mythos: D&D character bios with stats; Mythos: Cyberpunk 2077; etc.)

• Thinking Face
Apr 29, 2021
At my company, we've almost all fallen into telecommuting at the beginning of the pandemic.
Since, our office has move to a smaller place, and we don't have an assigned desk anymore (apart a few of us that have to be here, like the technical team). If you want to work at the office, you have to reserve a desk each day. And there are not enough desks for all the employees. So we are mostly teleworking.
I miss a bit the interactions with my coworkers. But I still feel lucky, it's save more than 3h a day in commuting and hundreds of $ in gas by month.
Quite true there are flip sides to the both sides of the equation, just wish everyone gets their desired working conditions which makes people content

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

Considering I have a running "feud" with another dev that used the name of a certain mother for the MC's mother (that ended up becoming an in-game joke which I "take full credit for"), the response to this question cracked me up!

To B: Did it live up to your expectations?

Okay, done perving on your past posts ...

• Haha
Apr 29, 2021
(Regarding the novelization of Book One)

I've mentioned this a few times before; Mythos: Book One is based on a novel I'd already written, but there were some big differences:

• Tara was an extremely minor character. She literally only existed to let the main character know Lisa had died, and then never came up again.
  • The main character wasn't Kylie/Kyle Nelson, but was Jodi Nelson! Yes, the same Jodi you see in Chapter Four. Jodi is asexual, so no relationship stuff was in the book at all.
  • B was non-binary and completely gender ambiguous. Back when I wrote it, I didn't even know that about myself, and it was kind of a running joke that "hey, B is hot... but we don't know if they're male or female and we'd feel rude to ask." I wrote this long ago, before "asking for pronouns" was ever really a widespread thing.
  • Sophia was a pothead. Also, CyberDaze's polo shirts were red - not a super crucial detail, but at the time "CyberDaze" was supposed to be a sort of parody of "Circuit City".
  • Rain was an older woman, and also a Mage! I moved all of Rain's magey aspects to other characters.
  • Becki (With an I) and a character who became Aiden Drest weren't in the book, but were planned for a future installment.
  • Many characters just didn't exist at all in the novel: Mara, Sylvia, Rami, Rin, Cecil, Desmond, Violet, Madam Luna, Sparky, Melanie, Edda and Jessica Lee.
  • Monica was a mysterious figure who's Bureau affiliation wasn't revealed until the end of the book.
  • Lisa's murderer was a totally different character.
  • Lisa didn't reappear in any capacity. (Chapter Three/Four spoiler)
If I release the novel now, I would make it almost all like the game, but Kylie would be the main character (Jodi appearing as a side character to come up later, like in the game). Also, there'd only be one love interest - Tara. Kylie and Tara would be the canonical relationship, and B would go back to being totally gender-ambiguous.
Wow so when you say a novel is it like something similar to authors that get a book officially published and if so does it go by a title?

Also does the book influence the ending of the game, like Lisa's timeline is different and so is the final criminal as you have stated, so it does mean that the endings shall be different right?

• Thinking Face

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Wow so when you say a novel is it like something similar to authors that get a book officially published and if so does it go by a title?

Also does the book influence the ending of the game, like Lisa's timeline is different and so is the final criminal as you have stated, so it does mean that the endings shall be different right?
I wrote the novel, but never sought to get it published; I didn't think I was good enough. My mind may be changing on that, though...

The book and the game have very different endings, for sure. There's more I wanna say here, but that'd spoil something about the ending of Mythos so I have to hold that for now.

Apr 29, 2021
I wrote the novel, but never sought to get it published; I didn't think I was good enough. My mind may be changing on that, though...

The book and the game have very different endings, for sure. There's more I wanna say here, but that'd spoil something about the ending of Mythos so I have to hold that for now.
Lol it's a struggle to contain those spoilers, admirable though how Devs hold onto not spilling the beans must be hard for sure!

Though appreciate the information about the book and maybe one day it could hit the literary world and get published, maybe some publishers might need Tara to convince them lol if it comes down to that.

But jokes aside it really does have that quality and as a reader of similar novels, would say from experience you're pretty to close to do that maybe some fine-tuning along the way and could turn out impressive!

• Red Heart
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes