VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
I wrote the novel, but never sought to get it published; I didn't think I was good enough. My mind may be changing on that, though...

The book and the game have very different endings, for sure. There's more I wanna say here, but that'd spoil something about the ending of Mythos so I have to hold that for now.
How many pov characters are there in the book? I liked your Nelson's sick day story, it would be interesting to look into the minds of other characters. (I'm not talking about seeing the same event from multiple perspectives.) I mean things like A Song of Ice and Fire.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
How many pov characters are there in the book? I liked your Nelson's sick day story, it would be interesting to look into the minds of other characters. (I'm not talking about seeing the same event from multiple perspectives.) I mean things like A Song of Ice and Fire.
For the novel that Mythos was based on, the only POV character was Jodi; it was meant to be (much like Mythos) sort of similar to the Dresden Files novels in that regard. I just wanted to incorporate other things into it, too - others have picked up on my literary inspirations from Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and Neil Gaiman. A good dash of Brandon Sanderson philosophy in there, too!

I think for a "murder mystery" to work, it'd be hard to do multiple POVs unless there were multiple investigators that were also blameless... though they managed to pull it off in the video game Heavy Rain, where one of the investigators actually was the killer!

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
For the novel that Mythos was based on, the only POV character was Jodi; it was meant to be (much like Mythos) sort of similar to the Dresden Files novels in that regard. I just wanted to incorporate other things into it, too - others have picked up on my literary inspirations from Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and Neil Gaiman. A good dash of Brandon Sanderson philosophy in there, too!

I think for a "murder mystery" to work, it'd be hard to do multiple POVs unless there were multiple investigators that were also blameless... though they managed to pull it off in the video game Heavy Rain, where one of the investigators actually was the killer!
I would also add in a bit of Grimm(Maybe/Kind of) and Haven, if we're talking about TV shows. lol All in all(Not caught up yet) enjoyable so far.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
I would also add in a bit of Grimm(Maybe/Kind of) and Haven, if we're talking about TV shows. lol All in all(Not caught up yet) enjoyable so far.
I don't watch a whole lot of TV, so I'm not familiar with those. Hopefully, it's a good thing I evoke them, though!

Reactions: Dark Silence

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Please add a dash of Agatha Christie to the mix as well and I'll be very happy. I'd love to see a Miss Marple-like character solving crimes in the Mythos-world. :)

radoxthegreen

Oct 26, 2019
Just read/played the latest update - good stuff as ever. Mythos is one of only three games where I download every update and start from the beginning each time. The other two are Heavy 5 and Bad Memories, so you're in good company.

Agreed that the cat did it. The cat is clearly Thea Lundgren.

One small suggestion. You've got Monica saying "ye" a few times, whch might mislead people into thinking she's pronouncing it as in "Ye gods" or "Ye olde worlde". I think "yeh", "yuh" or " y' " would be closer to how most English (not just Cockneys) would say it.

• Red Heart

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Becki (with a I) Is enjoyable character. Can she be a li for the next game?
Assuming she survives Book One, sure... ;)

Please add a dash of Agatha Christie to the mix as well and I'll be very happy. I'd love to see a Miss Marple-like character solving crimes in the Mythos-world. :)
One of the earliest novels I read as a kid is "Death in the Clouds"! :D I then read another Poirot story where he was staying at a bed and breakfast but the name of it eludes me...

One small suggestion. You've got Monica saying "ye" a few times, whch might mislead people into thinking she's pronouncing it as in "Ye gods" or "Ye olde worlde". I think "yeh", "yuh" or " y' " would be closer to how most English (not just Cockneys) would say it.
Not a bad idea! Writing in accents can be a pain.

J1215

Dec 15, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
May I ask Madam Luna three questions? What needs to be done to make this possible?
(I enjoyed talking to her.)

Last edited:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
To each their own, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about a "Murder, She Wrote" sex mystery ...
We all know you have a thing for Angela Lansbury.
;)

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
The Monogram Murders
Hmmm... that one can't be it, I definitely read it... probably in the 90s? I don't remember much of it. There was a man wearing makeup who really wanted the four-poster bed, and the place was run by a husband/wife team. I also remember the husband painted the sign a little wonky so the letters got scrunched up at the end.

I remember oddly random parts of the story...

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Hmmm... that one can't be it, I definitely read it... probably in the 90s? I don't remember much of it. There was a man wearing makeup who really wanted the four-poster bed, and the place was run by a husband/wife team. I also remember the husband painted the sign a little wonky so the letters got scrunched up at the end.

I remember oddly random parts of the story...
No idea. I just remember that Poirot went on a vacation at a BnB and... That's it. lol Not even sure I finished the book. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Updated Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 4.1.0 + WT by AdanGC Mods

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OR or even MEGA

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.
Pixeldrain
Mega
PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

Size 302 MiB

Come find me on Discord:
Updated my android port.

• Red Heart
Reactions: revmac07
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes