VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Clutchfrog

Jan 3, 2021
That's because you have civilized people in this thread. Sure, some of us can go full-on beast mode in other threads, but we keep it out of this one.

I'm not good with all the feels, but, I feel for you and the problems you've been going through. Sometimes life just runs us over and tries to take away our happiness. Take all the time you need. Much love to you and yours. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Hey wait a minute...Civilized?!?!? The rest of you may be, but I have a reputation to protect dagnabit...Stop using those type of 4 letter words (ok more than four)

Last edited:

Clutchfrog

Jan 3, 2021
I thanked all my followers/supporters in the weekly update, but I wanna thank you F95 folks on this thread specifically. I've seen so many other threads where any time a dev has any hardship they're attacked as "making excuses", but you all have been really understanding every time I've had any kind of issue come up.
Heck and you are the only Dev that got me to go back and enjoy a Double T in Middle river and even knows what the Double T is.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I thanked all my followers/supporters in the weekly update, but I wanna thank you F95 folks on this thread specifically. I've seen so many other threads where any time a dev has any hardship they're attacked as "making excuses", but you all have been really understanding every time I've had any kind of issue come up.
You are a great dev.
Lot of presence here, easy to spoke, with a good sens of humor.
You give a lot of info about how things are going on. So people know when there problems in your real life which have impact on the game development, and so why there are some delay.
It's help a lot to build a good community around the game.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I think there's a lot of different factors behind that.

First, the degree to which a creator is good at communicating plays a role. Devs who are mostly radio silent or only post to make excuses will usually see people turn on them way faster than devs who are an active part of discussions. You're one of the most engaged devs on the site, so you're falling at the extreme positive end of the scale there.

Second, it's a cumulative thing. If a dev seems to constantly have massive problems that delay everything for long periods of time, it could be that they're just really unlucky. Or it could be that they're making excuses to cover for the fact that they're deliberately procrastinating to prolong Patreon income. This gets exacerbated when they seem like they've put development on hold to just do a few Patreon art rewards or commissions to keep the illusion of being active. But your transparency works in your favor, because it kind of shows that even when updates are taking longer, you're still generally making clear progress. So it's much easier to believe you when you say something's gone wrong because you've got a track record of being reliable. And the fact that you're usually almost aggressively apologetic whenever even minor stuff goes wrong makes it's kind of obvious how much the project means to you, so people are more inclined to support you through hard times rather than just assume you're lying.

In the same vein, it probably helps that most Patreon milking tends to happen when a dev has clearly struck gold with a game, but also clearly doesn't really seem to have a vision of what to follow it up with. So there's a blatant motivation to pad the game out, and artifically extend development as long as possible (by whatever means) to keep Patreon dollars flowing. Whereas you have always been very open about future plans, which creates more confidence that your delays are genuine and not just an excuse to not finish the game. Which is arguably a far better business model in the long run anyway - it's far better to get people to want to support Mythos Book 2, Book 3, Book 4, etc than it is to just stall and stall and stall to try and make Book 1 development time last for the next 20 years (which is what some devs seem to want to do).

Finally, the tone of the game probably plays a role. If a game is more lighthearted or comedic, it's probably going to attract players who are a bit more chill. So rather than screaming about not getting their expected jerk off material promptly, they're more inclined to joke about secret werewolves.

There's probably other factors as well (like people being burned by multiple devs in a row being less likely to give the benefit of the doubt to the next one who has a delay), but those are the major ones.

Clutchfrog

Jan 3, 2021
I think there's a lot of different factors behind that.

First, the degree to which a creator is good at communicating plays a role. Devs who are mostly radio silent or only post to make excuses will usually see people turn on them way faster than devs who are an active part of discussions. You're one of the most engaged devs on the site, so you're falling at the extreme positive end of the scale there.

Second, it's a cumulative thing. If a dev seems to constantly have massive problems that delay everything for long periods of time, it could be that they're just really unlucky. Or it could be that they're making excuses to cover for the fact that they're deliberately procrastinating to prolong Patreon income. This gets exacerbated when they seem like they've put development on hold to just do a few Patreon art rewards or commissions to keep the illusion of being active. But your transparency works in your favor, because it kind of shows that even when updates are taking longer, you're still generally making clear progress. So it's much easier to believe you when you say something's gone wrong because you've got a track record of being reliable. And the fact that you're usually almost aggressively apologetic whenever even minor stuff goes wrong makes it's kind of obvious how much the project means to you, so people are more inclined to support you through hard times rather than just assume you're lying.

In the same vein, it probably helps that most Patreon milking tends to happen when a dev has clearly struck gold with a game, but also clearly doesn't really seem to have a vision of what to follow it up with. So there's a blatant motivation to pad the game out, and artifically extend development as long as possible (by whatever means) to keep Patreon dollars flowing. Whereas you have always been very open about future plans, which creates more confidence that your delays are genuine and not just an excuse to not finish the game. Which is arguably a far better business model in the long run anyway - it's far better to get people to want to support Mythos Book 2, Book 3, Book 4, etc than it is to just stall and stall and stall to try and make Book 1 development time last for the next 20 years (which is what some devs seem to want to do).

Finally, the tone of the game probably plays a role. If a game is more lighthearted or comedic, it's probably going to attract players who are a bit more chill. So rather than screaming about not getting their expected jerk off material promptly, they're more inclined to joke about secret werewolves.

There's probably other factors as well (like people being burned by multiple devs in a row being less likely to give the benefit of the doubt to the next one who has a delay), but those are the major ones.
ummmm ok...no wonder I'm a newbie..that was way too long and intellectual for my old arse.

Please, for those of us who are dumb as dirt and have the attention span of a ferret (mainly ME), keep it short and in layman's terms. Trying to read all that mumbo jumbo hurt my poor wittle bwain.

P.S.
I still ain't civilized dammit!!

Last edited:

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
ummmm ok...no wonder I'm a newbie..that was way too long and intellectual for my old arse.

Please, for those of us who are dumb as dirt and have the attention span of a ferret (mainly ME), keep it short and in layman's terms. Trying to read all that mumbo jumbo hurt my poor wittle bwain.

P.S.
I still ain't civilized dammit!!
Here is the short version: Nine is great. The game is great. Leads to posters at least clear the lowest bar of human decency. :)

Brandu33

Apr 11, 2022
Weekly Update - November 10th, 2023

Imagine there's an image here. Explanation included.

Losing someone is tough indeed.
A friend of mine, a man i met when i was 14, died of a cancer during COVID, we were forbidden to visit him the hospital, no gathering, no funeral...
That was hard.
One of the worst thing is his profile is still "active" on facebook?!
Two dead friends i've on FB, now. It feels wrong to unfriend them, and at the same time, receiving a "it's soon to be your friend's birthday"...

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I'm too dumb to say sensible and deep things in such circumstance, so I had prefer to be quiet for a couple of weeks.
But I can't let this go...
While playing Occultus: DoD by BC (no, no I'm not cheating on Mythos, just waiting for chapter 5 :) ), when when I came across this
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I'm too dumb to say sensible and deep things in such circumstance, so I had prefer to be quiet for a couple of weeks.
But I can't let this go...
While playing Occultus: DoD by BC (no, no I'm not cheating on Mythos, just waiting for chapter 5 :) ), when when I came across this
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

That said, considering all the end-chapter cameos, it should never be surprising to find a Mythos reference ^_^

Apr 29, 2021
Although this has been commented by other users too previously but as an interested player and admirer of your work think it is kind of a self-action to let you know that you can take sufficient duration as much as you want, as with some things how much duration is spent in recharging yourself is irrelevant compared to the process one undertakes, for which expect that you are able to share your emotions or feelings with people who are close to you or the ones you cherish. The quality of the game you have developed is impeccable and even if you take longer time in development it will be far more worth it when it releases for the players and yourself too when the community knows you are recovering well.

Thanks for reading Dev, best wishes for ahead:)

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

That said, considering all the end-chapter cameos, it should never be surprising to find a Mythos reference ^_^
Not onlyend-chapter cameo, Nine of Swords, include other games references is Mythos. Like Ky computer background image, or game posters on the wall above the computer.
But still, it was unexpected for me.
And I think it's cool when a dev put reference of other games in its own game.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Not onlyend-chapter cameo, Nine of Swords, include other games references is Mythos. Like Ky computer background image, or game posters on the wall above the computer.
But still, it was unexpected for me.
And I think it's cool when a dev put reference of other games in its own game.
Oh, I wasn't ignoring the in-game cameos ... shoot, I think 20% of the games I like I found 'cause of the cameo tree from LoF.

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
"
View attachment 3094430

Weekly Update - November 17th, 2023
Testing! Testing!

"And farts. So many farts."

Well, umm, thank you for sharing that with us?

Don't worry, there is a solution for everything.

(God, I can't believe I'm looking for this stuff online...)

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes