VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

MuffinManWantsPregnancy

Say no to NTR and Fuck a Preggie girl
Donor
Feb 5, 2020
I've had this game in my backlog for a while now, just decided to play. It's a cool story, I really do like it. For now, I am not at all enamored with any of the LI's so far. Will there be more options in the future? If this has been answered, my apologies I am too lazy to read through the entire forum. I think my only real complaint is that the MC just kinda goes with the flow instead of questioning anything. I know part of it was explained away at the beginning of chapter 2. There just seems to be a lack of assertiveness with the MC. I do like that we can choose not to trust and not give too much info about certain things. Still would be fun to tell the girls I don't particularly like to, "F*ck off" :sneaky:. But that's just me lol.

Anyways, it's a good game and I do like the story and worldbuilding. I can definitely appreciate the time and effort put into this game. I may end the game being celibate. Like the good little Christian boy that I am. :HideThePain:

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
I've had this game in my backlog for a while now, just decided to play. It's a cool story, I really do like it. For now, I am not at all enamored with any of the LI's so far. Will there be more options in the future?
For Book One (this first game) the only love interests will be Tara, Sophia, B, Rain, and Mara. However, in future books other girls may become love interests, like Sylvia, Becki (With An I), etc. Assuming they live through Book One, of course!

I think my only real complaint is that the MC just kinda goes with the flow instead of questioning anything. I know part of it was explained away at the beginning of chapter 2. There just seems to be a lack of assertiveness with the MC. I do like that we can choose not to trust and not give too much info about certain things. Still would be fun to tell the girls I don't particularly like to, "F*ck off" :sneaky:. But that's just me lol.
It was tough to put too much player agency in the first chapter and a half because it's both the player and the main character's introduction into the supernatural world. It was basically all setup to put them into a position to take charge of the investigation. Chapter Three is where the MC really starts to take the reins (the organization of the Gala Heist was your first taste of that).

Anyways, it's a good game and I do like the story and worldbuilding. I can definitely appreciate the time and effort put into this game. I may end the game being celibate. Like the good little Christian boy that I am. :HideThePain:
I'm really glad you enjoy it! Being as it was originally written as a novel with an asexual main character, playing through it "celibate" is basically you going through the original story! :D

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
Curious about trying this, what update cycle like? If it's going be soon, see no point till then. Then try it up to current content.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
Curious about trying this, what update cycle like? If it's going be soon, see no point till then. Then try it up to current content.
There are still quite some time until the next update, so I would recomend that you play the current version instead of waiting.

TFFBladez

Oct 10, 2020
Then it would be in the tags if there was Futa, with the tag Futa/Trans tag....
AH yes because every game out there has all tag's and I haven't seen games that are missing tag's like games that let you get with multiple females but missing the harem tag.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Just checking to see since you can be a female MC if there was a Futa option that you can have.
The two options in Book One are just a standard cis male and female. There is some optional futa content I have in mind, but it wouldn't be a full-on MC choice; I just don't have the time to do that kind of thing. :(

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
So... Nine of Swords -- much of a Harry Dresden fan? :)

(I'm going off of a few of the characters and such, to be honest, but also the overall vibe, which has a very Dresden Files feel to it.)

Also, just because I can't not ask: ETA on Chapter 3?

Reactions: parceload

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
So... Nine of Swords -- much of a Harry Dresden fan? :)

(I'm going off of a few of the characters and such, to be honest, but also the overall vibe, which has a very Dresden Files feel to it.)

Also, just because I can't not ask: ETA on Chapter 3?
I am a big Dresden Files fan, yes! But that's far from the only inspiration -- there's a big draw from American Gods, and the World of Darkness games. On the other side, there's big inspiration from Clue (my favourite movie) and Knives Out (which I really feel is a spiritual successor). I also love heist movies, thus the Gala scene in Chapter Two.

As for Chapter 3 ETA -- I really loathe giving out even estimates because of Murphy's Law. I'm a solo dev with a full-time career and marriage and homeownership to deal with. The moment I say "it'll be out on the Xth of Monthuary", that'll be when my car blows up or something. So I just stick to my weekly updates where I break down what's been done, what I'm doing, and what's left to do.

SPEAKING OF WHICH!!! (Ya like that segue?)

update20220217.png

Mythos Friday Update - February 18th, 2022

Yes, I know it says the 17th. I made the picture last night. I'm tired. Just read it.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
I am a big Dresden Files fan, yes! But that's far from the only inspiration -- there's a big draw from American Gods, and the World of Darkness games. On the other side, there's big inspiration from Clue (my favourite movie) and Knives Out (which I really feel is a spiritual successor). I also love heist movies, thus the Gala scene in Chapter Two.

As for Chapter 3 ETA -- I really loathe giving out even estimates because of Murphy's Law. I'm a solo dev with a full-time career and marriage and homeownership to deal with. The moment I say "it'll be out on the Xth of Monthuary", that'll be when my car blows up or something. So I just stick to my weekly updates where I break down what's been done, what I'm doing, and what's left to do.

SPEAKING OF WHICH!!! (Ya like that segue?)

View attachment 1661417

Yes, I know it says the 17th. I made the picture last night. I'm tired. Just read it.

I wonder who the dude-bro in the header is?
and I see rjrhodes is still doing some work in Baltimore.
I might have mentioned this before, but I'll do it again, as far as I'm conserned the lewding don't have to be animated,
if you feel that you can't make the animations good enough just scrap them, I ofc can only speak for myself, but I imagine
that most of the players are like me that we play the game primarily for the story and that the lewding only is a nice bonus.
Sorry to hear that excel don't like you:(.

Reactions: Antosha

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018

[...]

Ah, some great sources of inspiration! Those are two of my favorite movies, and American Gods is a fabulous book -- I haven't gotten far enough into the game to see the parallels, I'm guessing, but I can believe they're lurking there. :)

The bit that set off the Dresden Files lightbulb for me was the explanation of Sophia's power, which immediately made me think of Ivy. Also, given the themes of this game, made me glad she's not a twelve-year-old. Heh. Likewise, Tara makes me think of McCoy -- but very happily much younger. And prettier.

In any case, I'm enjoying the game enormously. It's a great combination of a truly mysterious mystery, spooky supernaturals, some fun pop culture references... and of course some very different, very beautiful women. Nice! (I also like how you've justified both their attraction to him and their attitude toward polyamory.)

I completely get the challenge of side-gig/work/family balance. I just thought I'd see if you were close enough to say.

And yeah: fuck Excel.

Reactions: parceload

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Tara makes me think of McCoy -- but very happily much younger. And prettier.
Holy crap. I never thought of Tara's resemblance to McCoy!!! Tara is actually a combination of a few people I know in real life -- her love of puns, big red truck, and goofy-ass German Shepherd are from my not-really-sister (close friend), her smallness and quick temper are from another real-life friend, and her accent and origins from the farm are from my real-world family that has that same accent an origins from that same farmland area of Maryland out west.

But I think "sexy female McCoy" works, too!

Sophia and Ivy do share a bit of similarity, of course -- but their origins are quite different! :D That'll come about in Chapter Three.

Coming Soon(tm)!

I forgot to mention another huge, huge, huge bit of inspiration and I'm kicking myself for it - Good Omens.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Holy crap. I never thought of Tara's resemblance to McCoy!!! Tara is actually a combination of a few people I know in real life -- her love of puns, big red truck, and goofy-ass German Shepherd are from my not-really-sister (close friend), her smallness and quick temper are from another real-life friend, and her accent and origins from the farm are from my real-world family that has that same accent an origins from that same farmland area of Maryland out west.

But I think "sexy female McCoy" works, too!

Sophia and Ivy do share a bit of similarity, of course -- but their origins are quite different! :D That'll come about in Chapter Three.

Coming Soon(tm)!

I forgot to mention another huge, huge, huge bit of inspiration and I'm kicking myself for it - Good Omens.
Wow. Butcher, Gaiman, and Pratchett, with a dollop of Clue and Knives out. Yum!

I'm definitely looking forward to Chapter 3. :-D

And yeah: I think I'd figured out Tara's being magical before the big reveal for two reasons — first, she was acting as drawn to him as the other magical ladies, which made sense if she was responding to him as a Beacon; and second, the McCoy thing.

The runes on the shotgun in the dream were the final confirmation though. ;-)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes