HTML Abandoned Naughty Neighbourhood [Build 7][Drmmrt]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Drmmrt

Jul 14, 2017
For some reason Brittney is locked off. Can meet her and do the opening with her but she doesn't show up in the toolbar and it just repeats that first interaction. Is there a certain action needed, or is it just a glitch?
That’s not good, I’ll check it out when I have the time and come back to you.

old saves work?
they should work, if not let me know!

KeiranD

Aug 6, 2016
Anyone has problem unlocking Britney after visiting her home? She always introduces for me as we would see each other first time. Build 6.
I think the variable doesn't change to 'true' after you visit her. If you go to console and look through variables, you can change 'false' to 'true' in 'Brittneymet:' and it works fine after that.

BreakerHollow

Mar 6, 2020
Hospital and Ward has some events that might be new? Not sure if they're old or not, just looking at them myself
Edit: If you check everything you've done in the past after using the easter egg you'll most likely find all the content in the game currently

Last edited:

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
This isn't enjoyable to play in an OS that is case-sensitive such as Linux. The html source code refers sometimes to filenames and paths in all lowercase while there is an uppercase letter somewhere in the file structure such as images/Nicolette/nicolette1.jpg (just a random example). That makes images and videos not found. Decide your format of naming directories and files and stick to it in the source code. :)

Drmmrt

Jul 14, 2017
This isn't enjoyable to play in an OS that is case-sensitive such as Linux. The html source code refers sometimes to filenames and paths in all lowercase while there is an uppercase letter somewhere in the file structure such as images/Nicolette/nicolette1.jpg (just a random example). That makes images and videos not found. Decide your format of naming directories and files and stick to it in the source code. :)
Although it’s true that I’m not the most consistent with upper and lower cases, the browsers I test the game in are also case sensitive and they work work just fine there.
I’m no Linux expert but it doesn’t matter if a line of code refers to images/test/Picture1.jpg or Images/tEsT/piCTurE1.jpg al long as the file it refers to has the same upper and lower cases right?

Edit:
I don’t know what kind of browser your running it with on Linux, but maybe you could try a secondary browser? I would like to know if that fixes the problem. (Maybe you tried that already)

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
Although it’s true that I’m not the most consistent with upper and lower cases, the browsers I test the game in are also case sensitive and they work work just fine there.
I’m no Linux expert but it doesn’t matter if a line of code refers to images/test/Picture1.jpg or Images/tEsT/piCTurE1.jpg al long as the file it refers to has the same upper and lower cases right?

I don’t know what kind of browser your running it with on Linux
The browser might be or not "case sensitive" but it actually doesn't matter in this situation. The browser asks a resource by sending an URL to the web server (for example, img src="images/location/home.jpg" in the starting home page after clicking on "GO"). When the browser is running a local file or asking a local file, the request goes to the operating system that forwards it to the filesystem. In my case ext4 (my filesystem) is case sensitive, so it delivers exactly what it finds at the end of the URL.

All my browsers (Firefox 80.0, Brave 1.12.114 based on Chromium 84.0.4147.135 & Opera 70.0.3728.133) didn't get home.jpg because the directory under "images" is called "Location" instead of "location". I bet if I was running a NTFS filesystem, all these browsers would get home.jpg (or HOmE.JpG) and the page would render just fine. For ext4 home.jpg and HOmE.JpG are two different files and for NTFS they are one and the same.

NTFS isn't case sensitive by default. Looks like you can on a folder/directory level these days in Windows 10. I didn't have any problems with developing websites locally in my Windows computers since the 1990s but I had trouble as soon as I published websites on public webservers that were usually running Linux and usually ext2/ext3 filesystems. I stopped using Windows almost a year ago when I moved out of Win7 that I had used since it was a release candidate.

If I rename the directory images/Location to images/location, all location images show in the browser because you have used images/location/[filename] in the html source code. None of them showed before I renamed Location to location.

(Also, some Nicolette's assets fail to load due to "images/forestroad/27/Nicolette" because img src="images/forestroad/27/nicolette/first.jpg" when meeting Nic for the first time. )

Just a thought: If turning on the case sensitivity in NTFS doesn't work, you could install VirtualBox to run a virtual Linux (maybe Linux Mint) to test out your work if you really want the proof that you have tested your code and files against case sensitivity. Remember to use ext4 for your virtual diskdrive.

PS. I decided to test my theory so I formatted an older usb2 stick to FAT32 and extracted files from the zip archive. Then I ran the html in my Firefox. Requested img from "images/location/home.jpg" was delivered from "images/Location/home.jpg". Same happened with both Brave and Opera.

Reactions: Drmmrt

ptmg30

Aug 31, 2017
I think the variable doesn't change to 'true' after you visit her. If you go to console and look through variables, you can change 'false' to 'true' in 'Brittneymet:' and it works fine after that.
Which Brittneymet do I change because there's 16 of them?

PrEzi

Modder
Aug 17, 2016
Which Brittneymet do I change because there's 16 of them?
Huh ??
Not in the code, in the browser-debugger/console (in Opera under Ctrl+Shift+I ) under SugarCube.State.active.variables

Drmmrt

Jul 14, 2017
The browser might be or not "case sensitive" but it actually doesn't matter in this situation. The browser asks a resource by sending an URL to the web server (for example, img src="images/location/home.jpg" in the starting home page after clicking on "GO"). When the browser is running a local file or asking a local file, the request goes to the operating system that forwards it to the filesystem. In my case ext4 (my filesystem) is case sensitive, so it delivers exactly what it finds at the end of the URL.

All my browsers (Firefox 80.0, Brave 1.12.114 based on Chromium 84.0.4147.135 & Opera 70.0.3728.133) didn't get home.jpg because the directory under "images" is called "Location" instead of "location". I bet if I was running a NTFS filesystem, all these browsers would get home.jpg (or HOmE.JpG) and the page would render just fine. For ext4 home.jpg and HOmE.JpG are two different files and for NTFS they are one and the same.

NTFS isn't case sensitive by default. Looks like you can on a folder/directory level these days in Windows 10. I didn't have any problems with developing websites locally in my Windows computers since the 1990s but I had trouble as soon as I published websites on public webservers that were usually running Linux and usually ext2/ext3 filesystems. I stopped using Windows almost a year ago when I moved out of Win7 that I had used since it was a release candidate.

If I rename the directory images/Location to images/location, all location images show in the browser because you have used images/location/[filename] in the html source code. None of them showed before I renamed Location to location.

(Also, some Nicolette's assets fail to load due to "images/forestroad/27/Nicolette" because img src="images/forestroad/27/nicolette/first.jpg" when meeting Nic for the first time. )

Just a thought: If turning on the case sensitivity in NTFS doesn't work, you could install VirtualBox to run a virtual Linux (maybe Linux Mint) to test out your work if you really want the proof that you have tested your code and files against case sensitivity. Remember to use ext4 for your virtual diskdrive.

PS. I decided to test my theory so I formatted an older usb2 stick to FAT32 and extracted files from the zip archive. Then I ran the html in my Firefox. Requested img from "images/location/home.jpg" was delivered from "images/Location/home.jpg". Same happened with both Brave and Opera.
Thanks for the, very detailed, explanation! That really helps a lot! Like I said, I’m not a Linux (or other OS) expert with this kind of depth knowledge. I’ll go over the entire game and make make sure everything has the same naming style!
(man, I wish I had known this sooner, could have saved me a lot of work...:ROFLMAO:)

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
(man, I wish I had known this sooner, could have saved me a lot of work...:ROFLMAO:)
Yeah, learning by doing, nothing wrong with that. But for sure, Capitals are a big thing in programming. Maybe a starter to read up is this page My advice: take the most strict rule, then you are safest.

Reactions: Drmmrt

yugi2

Jul 13, 2018
Game is good but you really need to fix the Brittney and anna parts its not loading and editing the console might break the whole thing

Drmmrt

Jul 14, 2017
Game is good but you really need to fix the Brittney and anna parts its not loading and editing the console might break the whole thing
A fix for Brittney is on the way, but what's the problem with the Anna part? (so far, no bug reports on her I think)

Drmmrt

Jul 14, 2017
Alright folks!

Just uploaded a new version of the game.
It contains the fix for the Brittney bug and there was also an event with Brittney that still missed the text (oops)
I also hope that it contains the fix for the bug regarding (for example) Linux users that monksims pointed out and helpt me understand! (many thanks!)
Or at least I hope I got it all, like always I like to hear it if I still missed a couple of things.
Because it's un unscheduled and minor update I didn't flag it as a proper update so it won't show up on the 'new games and update' page.
Thanks for all your comments and tips!

Reactions: Henry73au

RyuseiZED

Jul 30, 2018
ahm i have an issue on the game with Brittney... it stand just when i talk to her on her room ,and i cant pass that point, any help ? 1598770996863.png

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes