Sharks are Evil

Jul 17, 2021
And I did what was morally correct and informed before that month about my vacations and also when I came back from them.
So the supporters could decide to pledge or not to me that month, since it's up to them to do what they want and believe is best.
Honestly, where does making a poll about that make any sense.
The way you put everything sounds smart, but in a basic sense, you're asking me to do 4+4=8 instead of 2x4=8, just because combining is easier than multiplying.
morally correct would be not taking the money, you earn more than most people around the world (most countries aren't first class) you treat this game as a hobby, not as a job that pays for your rant and meals. that's the problem people have here, telling people "let the people choose who they give their money to" is not a good argument. wherever you may live, with the cash income you get you can release a normal sized update every single month.

do you have any idea how much 3k dollars is just from Patreon alone? I live in a first world country, the prices here are kinda high in terms of food/living costs. yet even I would live very well here with that amount of money. you should not have anything else to do other than work on the game with this amount of income (I'm not even counting the monthly money you get from your other game radiant, you make almost as twice there) and your fans deserve no less than this. this is the bare Minimum you owe them. whatever problems you have in real life, they can't be never ending while you never have to work in a normal job again because of the game income.

this is a case of "more money is not going to speed up or improve the game". at this point there is no doubt about it, so I understand why people are angry. at the same however I can't really blame you, I would not deny more money for doing less either.

that's all I have to say about this... I respect you, highly, but I'm an adult, not a child. I consider real time, health and income, and your choices/reasoning/excuses don't add up.

congratulations-memes-26.jpg

dmmt

May 8, 2020
Yes, 'Murka does refer to the USA, and whether or not it is legal, depends entirely on what state you live in. My home state, Iowa for ex,, not only is it legal, but commissions are deemed "discretionary" compensation and do not HAVE to be paid at all. TX guarantees a min wage, as does CA. Newsflash...anyone on a commission (where min wage is the alternative and only because of state laws mandating such) that draws min wage for 2 consecutive pay periods because the commissions were insufficient to exceed that? Will not be employed for a 3rd pay period.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
But art commissions, even in 'Murrica, are not the same as other types of employment

You can commission art to be done and only pay commission, hours are not recorded, though there may be a date for expected completion. That is a legal arrangement in any state for works of art in any medium.

So a lot depends on the nature of the arrangement.

But all of this is WAY, WAY off topic.

Reactions: User1230

dmmt

May 8, 2020
commissioning a piece of work, and being paid BY commission...are two entirely separate and unrelated things. NOT at all related.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
commissioning a piece of work, and being paid BY commission...are two entirely separate and unrelated things. NOT at all related.
Right but....

This whole off topic back and forth started because someone griped about Alorth having a vacation

Alorth is getting artistic commission from patrons to "make art" so it is not a normal job paid "by commission" but either the very old artist having patrons model or a by commission model without deadlines as none are listed in the Patreon or Subscribestar agreements.

PEACE

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, 'Murka does refer to the USA, and whether or not it is legal, depends entirely on what state you live in. My home state, Iowa for ex,, not only is it legal, but commissions are deemed "discretionary" compensation and do not HAVE to be paid at all. TX guarantees a min wage, as does CA. Newsflash...anyone on a commission (where min wage is the alternative and only because of state laws mandating such) that draws min wage for 2 consecutive pay periods because the commissions were insufficient to exceed that? Will not be employed for a 3rd pay period.
Fine, we'll go down that road for a moment. What kind of business are you working for (apparently for 35 years) in "sales" that does this? And more importantly, why are you still there if its so bad that it makes you start making overarching statements regarding how shitty 'Murkan inbred low-road Capitalism" has been for you? Kinda seems like anyone with half the intelligence of a rock would try to find something else if the job has been that bad.

Hell, with my job, I work only 6 months out of the year in a job that, while my specific employer did, some employers in the field don't even require a high school education, yet I made almost 60K last year. The ceiling for the field is in the 200-300k a year range and it only requires you take a few individual (and usually company paid for) classes and obtain a license.

So don't tell me you don't have options. And more importantly, don't try to use your career decisions (especially as they seem to be pretty poor decisions if you are as bad off as you are trying to allude to yet choosing to remain) to justify your supposed morally-superior views and claims of some kind of malevolent behavior on the part of the dev for charging you (I assume you are a Patron because if you aren't paying him and still feel like you are entitled to complaints of this magnitude, that's a whole other level of stupidity I can't even begin to understand).

But getting away from the point, if you truly have been working in a job that is pure-commission for 35 years and its still so low paying, despite your years of service, that you have to be so consciously aware of your commissions amount during any two week period so as to avoid losing your job at week 3...sir, I believe staying there might be a mark of clinically certifiable insanity. I urge you to seek help.

That is, of course, unless you have intentionally made it seem like your employment is much worse than it actually is in an effort to add some kind of weight to your ill-conceived argument that this dev is somehow behaving in some kind of morally dubious manner by charging voluntary Patrons for a service that they are under no obligation to continue subscribing to and can in fact choose to cancel anytime if they feel wronged or led astray.

Please tell me if any of this is out of place and how, so I can be further educated on the issue from our resident champion of the moral high-road.

dmmt

May 8, 2020
Where did I say it was bad? When specifically, did I say it paid poorly? You make a LOT of assumptions, not supported by any evidence. What I simply said was...relatively few get paid vacations here in America. It is not mandated, and relatively few employers provide for it. As for why I did what I did for 35 years. I did it paid better than I would have made hourly, or I wouldnt have kept doing it, right?

And FTR, you TOTALLY and completely misconstrued my original post on this topic. In your rush to seem intellectually superior, you let it go right over your head. I wasnt condemning the Dev for taking vacation. I was simply say8ing, paid vacations are the exception in employment here in 'Murka...not the rule. IOW...it was an observation. Not a judgement.

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
Selective reading is a nice skill to have when checking out threads. It usually works pretty well for me but not always.

Oct 26, 2017
Roughly 75% of the American workforce gets paid vacations every year but yeah. Its the "exception".

I'm done before this gets nuked.

Looking forward to the next release, Alorth . Take your time. You've been delivering a great game so far and those of us with more stamina than that of your average thrift store bottle rocket will still be here.

• Angry
Reactions: fuckmymamarunnin

JakeTapper

May 17, 2020
Don't care what anyone else is saying about fake stories of their personal lives but I can tell you as a fact that making a couple animations and writing some dialog doesn't take nearly as long as this. Anyone who doesn't realize he's milking donors (or possibly suffering some kind of creative mental block) is delusional.

That said, the content so far has been pretty good and I'm not upset that it's taking a while for updates but it should be obvious what's going on and making excuses is just silly.

BubblesTheAllMighty

Sep 22, 2020
On a more serious note, where do we stand on next update?

And no i was not looking to go back however many pages through whatever conversation that was just to see if someone asked already.
Seems long enough even with max posts per page set.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
On a more serious note, where do we stand on next update?

And no i was not looking to go back however many pages through whatever conversation that was just to see if someone asked already.
Seems long enough even with max posts per page set.
Current news is that Alorth is aiming for Mid July to late July.

It was 1 page back on page 130.

Reactions: fuckmymamarunnin

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Alright, answers that question.

Also for me it only shows up to page 27 because i have it set to show 100 posts rather than the default 20 per page.
Then you can never click on links because there set up for only 20 post per page.
The default number.

No longer a problem.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Skalli
4.00 star(s) 86 Votes