VN Ren'Py New Year's Day(e) [Ch. 4 v0.4.1] [Jonesy]

3.30 star(s) 14 Votes

sigvar

Sep 5, 2021
Pretty sure it was step daughter from the beginning the patch was not made by him but a fan.
I guess be mad at the person who made the patch not the dev.
Well, I'll weigh in on this, rash69 is correct. If you look at the script in the first story, Christmas Eve, this line is after MC kisses Eve:
"
Eve "Why not? I mean, first of all, technically, I’m your stepdaughter, not like, a blood relative."
"

So this story was 100% stepcest from the beginning. There was an i-patch to make it full incest but there were no story elements that made that process difficult. Now that chapter two of this story explicitly includes elements that make it stepcest without simple text changes an ipatch becomes more difficult. The intent of the author doesn't appear to have changed at any point in the stories.

All that being said. If you want to get upset with the author about anything, then you should get upset with the author about the ability to choose Eve's (and by extension Dayton's) age. It was an option in the first story and now the part of the script that lets you choose her age is commented out and 20 is hard-coded in. The part of the current script (as of 0.2.4) is:

"
ET "I mean, we kinda always figured I'd be first because I'm the oldest. I'm 20."

#define eveage = Character("[eveage]")

#python:
#eveage = renpy.input("How old is Eve? (Default is 20)", length=32)
#eveage = eveage.strip()

#if not eveage:
#eveage = "20"
"

This was an actual change by the developer. So the complaints about being able to select Eve's age are certainly valid. So, go that direction with your pitchforks instead if that matters to you.

ThaBoooB

Jun 24, 2023
Hi *Jonesy*

I just played the 2.4 update. I decided that I wanted to play trough the story again from Christmas Eve. So I took my time with it. First I must say it was kind of amazing to se how much you evolved as a developer since CE. Everything from scene settings, lighting, animation and story writing. You are very quickly becoming a master of the craft. And you can see the love you put into it. :)

I must say I was kind of surprised with the 2.0 update before the story fix. The whole job thing felt rly of character. The MC did come of more as a loving family man. Than the guy who want to sleep with everyone that offers. Like a friends and family only harem, kind of guy XD.
The new addition of his thought process in 2.4 made it fit more into the narrative and make allot more sense.
I do hope he end up passing on the job. But that is just me. You tell the story you want to tell. I will probably stick with it anyhow.
Like I do with other games that have parts and scenes I don't enjoy. Just klick past it and pretend it didn't happen. :p

And also ignore all the stepcest hate you are getting. It's your story and you tell it like you want. You can't please everyone. Personally as long as they see me as their dad and/or call me daddy when it gets hot and heavy I'm fine with it ;P

Keep it up! Can't wait for the chapter 3 update. <3

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
Hi *Jonesy*

I just played the 2.4 update. I decided that I wanted to play trough the story again from Christmas Eve. So I took my time with it. First I must say it was kind of amazing to se how much you evolved as a developer since CE. Everything from scene settings, lighting, animation and story writing. You are very quickly becoming a master of the craft. And you can see the love you put into it. :)

I must say I was kind of surprised with the 2.0 update before the story fix. The whole job thing felt rly of character. The MC did come of more as a loving family man. Than the guy who want to sleep with everyone that offers. Like a friends and family only harem, kind of guy XD.
The new addition of his thought process in 2.4 made it fit more into the narrative and make allot more sense.
I do hope he end up passing on the job. But that is just me. You tell the story you want to tell. I will probably stick with it anyhow.
Like I do with other games that have parts and scenes I don't enjoy. Just klick past it and pretend it didn't happen. :p

And also ignore all the stepcest hate you are getting. It's your story and you tell it like you want. You can't please everyone. Personally as long as they see me as their dad and/or call me daddy when it gets hot and heavy I'm fine with it ;P

Keep it up! Can't wait for the chapter 3 update. <3
Dude (or Dudette),

Thank you for your positive comment. It really means the world to me. I had to take a short break from creating because I had some unexpected family issues come up, but I am back to writing, rendering and coding as of this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have something ready to realease in a couple of months.

Let me tell you creating these stories has definitely been a journey of learning. I'm so glad you took the time to go through the two stories and notice the progression. In the beginning, I literally went from AVN fanboy to AVN creator with hardly a breath in between. I have experience doing CAD work, so that made figuring out DAZ a little easier, but not by much. The rest (writing, coding, animations, etc) was literally trial and error, and I'm sure most AVN fans have noticed the errors - and that's cool! I want them to notice! It's like a living documentation of my evolution as a creator. You see, when I started out, I completely idolized creators like Lockheart and Jestur (and I still do - they're amazing!). So when I started out, I went with what I knew - the assets I recognized from APAT and a story that was sort of similar. Just to figure it out, you know? Like a kid learning guitar figures out their favorite songs first. I did what I was familiar with first. I really had no idea what I was doing. I was scared and wondering if I should make a full-blown incest story right off the bat (pretty bold from my perspective). So I pussed out and went stepcest. That said, I'm glad I did, because, in a way it offers more possible story threads than an "ordinary" incest story. One real question is - should I have released Christmas Eve as it was so similar to APAT? Looking back, maybe not. But I just wanted to see if I was doing anything right. I guess I was because people liked it even though it was similar to Lockheart's story and it was pretty rough render-wise, story-wise, and animation-wise. But, I feel that even though the two stories are similar, they quickly diverged from their common beginnings. I like to think that as CE progressed it became less and less similar to APAT. And I like to think of NYD as the first true standalone "Jonesy" story even though it has it's roots in CE. Anyway, I'm so glad you are liking things so far. Sorry to have used your comment as jumping off point for a knowledge dump for all my baggage. It's been a long time coming I guess. So yeah, come at me trolls! Do your worst. Everything I've said here is true. I said what I said and IDGAF.

Thanks,

~ Jonesy

vs2011xyz

May 18, 2021
New Year's Day(e) [v0.1.0] Unofficial Android Port

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- 143mb

My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.

Saves location: Storage/0011/Game-name

You can also join my discord server for more and support me.

You can also join 0011 discord server

If you like my works please support me.

update it pls.

save8lot

Apr 7, 2021
Progress Report 10/16/23
» Devlog
2 days ago by ( )
Share this post:

Hey Everyone!

It's been quite a while since I let you know what's been going on with Dayton and Eve and everyone else, so I figured I'd drop you a line and let you know.

Unfortunately, I had to step away from this project for a couple of months to handle some issues at home and I have only now gotten back to it. That said, the time off gave me the space I needed to regain some perspective and become "reinspired". I have spent the last couple of weeks writing, rendering, and coding the first act of chapter 3, and let me tell you, it feels really good. I feel like I lost my voice for a while and I finally got it back. To me , this is feeling much more like Christmas Eve chapter 4 and NYD chapter 1 as far as the "feel" of it.

Let's see, in this chapter we are going to be dealing with the fallout from Kaylee and Mia, the decisions the MC came to about his employment in chapter 2, the ongoing competition between Daye and Kaylee, and, of course, resolving that cliffhanger ending. We will probably also start ramping up the plans for the big New Year's Eve party, so yeah, lots to do. I'm excited. Our cast of characters are excited (in more ways than one). Are you excited?

I'll chime in again when I have completed more and let you know if I can give you an estimated release date, but for now I'll just say I'll have it done "hopefully before Christmas."

Oh, and I may have another surprise for you between now and then. Something I've been working on for a while.

Until then, take care of yourselves and hug the ones you love while you can. Seriously, do it. They don't last forever.

~ Jonesy

CutieLvr

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2020
If you use say.rpy, here is a corrected version. Or just add yoffset -32 to the bottom of your say.rpy, like this:
Code:
style say_dialogue:
    outlines [(8, "#666C"), (6, "#333"), (4, "#000")]
    size 46
    align (0.5, 1.0)
    yoffset -32
That would lift the dialog text up 32 px (or you can use any other number).
Alternatively, you can turn off quick menu by opening console: ` and typing
Code:
quick_menu=False
Or use the file "no_quick_menu.rpy".
Thank you, so much for your mods, they worked perfectly.

TiggerTime

Dec 15, 2022
For a Dev who's only been doing this for a year, this is some fine achievement.

Christmas Eve was extremely polished for a first game: this promises even more. I love the richness of the characters. I love how consistent they are, though we do see glimpses of them evolving.

Keep going as you are, Jonesy!

I've just finished editing the script.rpy file and played to the end of chapter 1. My changes are mainly to reflect the fact that I'm British and I use 'Mum', rather than 'Mom': 'street', as opposed to 'sidewalk'. Things like that only niggle me when I think of myself as the MC and suddenly I'm using words I never would in real life. I saw no need to alter anything major.

I did alter age references in the dialogue, because in my eyes, Eve doesn't look 20. Other than the opening section, there's no other specific reference to age.

To be honest, if you object to little things like this, it's no big thing to customize your own game. Yes, it takes a couple of hours, but it gives you an idea as to the work that goes into the game... a fraction of the work.

As far as the 'step-cest' debate goes, well, there's nothing wrong with debating it, but we'll all end up in different camps. As someone else said, the laws about this vary from country to country. Not only that, but cultural beliefs vary widely, too. Personally, I think that the story and how well, sensitively, credibly and thoughtfully it's written is way more important: and the writing here is good, very good. I only really object when dialogue has a stepdaughter saying rubbish like, "Do you want coffee, Stepdad?". I mean, who says that? It's then obvious that they are biologically related but the dialogue is just... surreal. There's none of that nonsense here.

I would prefer no step relations, but as others have said, that was in this saga from 'Christmas Eve'. Having said that...

... there's nothing to say that the step relationship is actually true. It could be that Evie and Daye actually believe that the MC is their stepdad, but he's actually their biological father. I can think of scenarios to fit that bill. For now, I'm perfectly content to see how Jonesy progresses this: it's Jonesy's game after all!

Oh, and to Jonesy...

... don't fret about deadlines. You're giving big updates in a pretty short space of time. Anyone who cares about your work won't grumble. Anyone else doesn't matter. When I needed to correct flaws (that I agreed with) in my Skyrim mod, I was desperate to get the updates out! I felt like I was letting every new player down with every minute I spent re-writing 'Papyrus' script, altering graphics, effects and dialogue, but, but... rushing it would have led to more problems. Take your time. I, for one, will appreciate it.

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
For a Dev who's only been doing this for a year, this is some fine achievement.

Christmas Eve was extremely polished for a first game: this promises even more. I love the richness of the characters. I love how consistent they are, though we do see glimpses of them evolving.

Keep going as you are, Jonesy!

I've just finished editing the script.rpy file and played to the end of chapter 1. My changes are mainly to reflect the fact that I'm British and I use 'Mum', rather than 'Mom': 'street', as opposed to 'sidewalk'. Things like that only niggle me when I think of myself as the MC and suddenly I'm using words I never would in real life. I saw no need to alter anything major.

I did alter age references in the dialogue, because in my eyes, Eve doesn't look 20. Other than the opening section, there's no other specific reference to age.

To be honest, if you object to little things like this, it's no big thing to customize your own game. Yes, it takes a couple of hours, but it gives you an idea as to the work that goes into the game... a fraction of the work.

As far as the 'step-cest' debate goes, well, there's nothing wrong with debating it, but we'll all end up in different camps. As someone else said, the laws about this vary from country to country. Not only that, but cultural beliefs vary widely, too. Personally, I think that the story and how well, sensitively, credibly and thoughtfully it's written is way more important: and the writing here is good, very good. I only really object when dialogue has a stepdaughter saying rubbish like, "Do you want coffee, Stepdad?". I mean, who says that? It's then obvious that they are biologically related but the dialogue is just... surreal. There's none of that nonsense here.

I would prefer no step relations, but as others have said, that was in this saga from 'Christmas Eve'. Having said that...

... there's nothing to say that the step relationship is actually true. It could be that Evie and Daye actually believe that the MC is their stepdad, but he's actually their biological father. I can think of scenarios to fit that bill. For now, I'm perfectly content to see how Jonesy progresses this: it's Jonesy's game after all!

Oh, and to Jonesy...

... don't fret about deadlines. You're giving big updates in a pretty short space of time. Anyone who cares about your work won't grumble. Anyone else doesn't matter. When I needed to correct flaws (that I agreed with) in my Skyrim mod, I was desperate to get the updates out! I felt like I was letting every new player down with every minute I spent re-writing 'Papyrus' script, altering graphics, effects and dialogue, but, but... rushing it would have led to more problems. Take your time. I, for one, will appreciate it.
Thanks so much for the praise!

I'm always thrilled when someone posts anything positive about either of these stories.
I am finishing the renders for the final scene as I write this. Then, I just need to do a bunch of other work to get it ready (Editing, music, animations, etc.). Deadline schmeadline. This thing isn't going to be done in time for Christmas even though I really wanted it to be, but, hey, that's the way things go sometimes. I do have faith that it will be out in time for New Year's Day.

As far as any debates about anything in this story go, I just wish people would understand that it's an unfinished story. There are things that I don't even know about these characters' lives yet. I know it sounds ridiculous, but they're the ones telling me the story and I'm just writing it down.

Anyway, thanks for the confidence boost! I hope you and everyone else likes the direction chapter 3 takes us all.

BTW, I'm a huge Skyrim/TES fan (except for ESO). I was on the sidewalk (excuse me, "street") outside of Gamestop at midnight on 11.11.11 waiting for it to be released and I love modding games. What mods did you do?

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
As far as any debates about anything in this story go, I just wish people would understand that it's an unfinished story. There are things that I don't even know about these characters' lives yet. I know it sounds ridiculous, but they're the ones telling me the story and I'm just writing it down.
As a note, you should honestly take people's debates and criticisms about the story (including mine!) as compliments. It means we're invested in the story and characters, and it means we get frustrated when there's a story beat that introduces an element we dislike, or that recontextualizes a character in what we see as a negative way.

3.30 star(s) 14 Votes