VN Ren'Py New Year's Day(e) [Ch. 4 v0.4.1] [Jonesy]

3.30 star(s) 14 Votes

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
I liked the previous game and the previous chapter, had the chapter 2 already downloaded but didn't have time to pick it up yet but hold on now the girls aren't mc daughters?
I started this game because of incest not because of stepcest. Honestly if it's true it's a huge let down, so if anyone confirm who is and isn't mc daughter would appreciate it, since now I dunno if I just delete the game or keep it.
Ty in advance
As of now, the MC has no biological daughters. The dev added a scene in the latest version, where they find a late christmas package at the door step and when they open it, it has a letter that says that it is from the biological father.

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
Well, since we're sharing these amazing facts... Did you know that every sixty seconds in Africa, a minute passes? Amazing right? :cool:
What a coincidence! That's nearly the same as here in West Virginia.
You been doing a lot of research into this topic Mr. Habsburg?
Sure. And their family tree is a perfect example of what I was saying.

MickeyMantle

Jun 28, 2023
Other games that survive without any fear have the default set as 'family friend' and 'neighbour' and 'roommate' etc. Patreon make no distinction between incest and stepcest at all. They are the same thing. UK laws are even stricter than that, as anyone you have ever had a parental or guardianship role toward is basically covered, so this includes teachers, doctors, nannies, mentors, sports coaches, etc. Anyone who ever had the powers/status of ' ' basically.
The thing is what do real world laws have to do with a fictional world? The story isn't even set in a fictional/alternate universe UK, let alone the real one. And even if the story is based on a real one why would the dev need to care if he doesn't live in the UK? There's a few places left where incest is still legal and no one cares (even 3 US states where siblings can fuck in peace). Simply take crypto payments on Backed.by and a dev wouldn't need to care what everyone's credit card Overlords think either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash996

MickeyMantle

Jun 28, 2023
I liked the previous game and the previous chapter, had the chapter 2 already downloaded but didn't have time to pick it up yet but hold on now the girls aren't mc daughters?
I started this game because of incest not because of stepcest. Honestly if it's true it's a huge let down, so if anyone confirm who is and isn't mc daughter would appreciate it, since now I dunno if I just delete the game or keep it.
Ty in advance
Might as well forget about it. I did. They need to remove the incest tag as well, it's clickbait at this point that makes people looking for actual incest fucking waste their time and bandwidth.

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
Might as well forget about it. I did. They need to remove the incest tag as well, it's clickbait at this point that makes people looking for actual incest fucking waste their time and bandwidth.
Well, the tag is correctly applied according to site rules. But I think the plot is weaker with the stepcest development. I don't remember Christmas Eve being a stepcest story, but it's possible that I ignored or edited the script of a single reference to stepdad or something. I'm sure I edited the step part out of an earlier version of New Year's Daye, and I'm perfectly fine with that for patreon compliance.
By writing plot points that force players acknowledge MC isn't the biological father, takes away some of the enjoyment for some of us. It lowers the stakes by reducing some believable dilemmas that would be interesting to see resolved. I've played a couple games where MC is widowed stepdad taking care of the daughters since they were young, and frankly all the handwringing and nail-biting those stories depict over the relationship feels forced, overblown, and tedious. The conflict with the biological family is always the same. I don't want to read the nth incarnation of that same story.

Last edited:

Majorix

Aug 12, 2021
No major changes. Just some context to frame what was already there in a more fitting light. I didn't do a good job of it the first time around, so I added several "thoughts" throughout the chapter to give the reader the MC's frame of mind as it pertains to the different situations they find themselves in. The most major change is
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The reasons for this are further explained in other "thoughts" the MC has throughout the chapter. This was always the route I had in mind. There will also be ramifications in the subsequent chapters because of this. So, please read on and see where this weird, crazy story goes...
So we won't see any scenes with the nice lady at the company entrace in future updates? Although i was afraid it could go down a path with too many girls with the company, i would have loved to see her.
And please don't let yourself be disencouraged by some guys comments here having a problem with mc being only stapdad, many others don't have a problem with that (and maybe your story will later have a shocking turnaround and they are whining for nothing :eek: ). Love the games so far.

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
So we won't see any scenes with the nice lady at the company entrace in future updates? Although i was afraid it could go down a path with too many girls with the company, i would have loved to see her.
And please don't let yourself be disencouraged by some guys comments here having a problem with mc being only stapdad, many others don't have a problem with that (and maybe your story will later have a shocking turnaround and they are whining for nothing :eek: ). Love the games so far.
You should know better than to think I'd give away anything this early!
I'm gonna do my best to bring back as many characters into the story as I can. I think it helps weave a nice "fabric". Yeah, Cara's a cutie. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her either, but honestly I haven't gotten beyond a broad outline for the upcoming chapters, so I haven't gotten down to her specifically yet.
Thanks for the confidence boost, I love this community for their honesty, but sometimes the brutal truth can get pretty damn brutal!

Last edited:

Grordan

Aug 16, 2020
Same here! I'm very curious to see how the story develops.
Unfortunately some players are not interestet in a good story. Or they want to complain until the story rewrites itself exactly how they want to hear it and not how the dev wants to tell it.

Izakiya

Apr 29, 2023
if you feel that way thats nice for you, but im not here to see them fucking their daddy, so for me the game isn't worth playing, and I'm not the only one.
This whole game has been them fucking their daddy :LOL:. If you mean their bio dad, Jonesy has said he isn't even going to appear on screen. So what's the point of your hissy fit?

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
This whole game has been them fucking their daddy :LOL:. If you mean their bio dad, Jonesy has said he isn't even going to appear on screen. So what's the point of your hissy fit?
are you new here? devs lie all the time even more so if its about the cursed tags, and if the bio dad isn't important then why introduce him into the story?
its Basic storytelling 101 that you dont introduce stuff you have no intention to use, and all he said is that it wouldnt happen on screen, so they could fuck all they want as long as he doesnt show it, and he would have hold up his word, and im not here for that.

Edit: to add to that it changes the whole dynamic, without another bio dad the mother trained their daughters to be with daddy, which is wired but somehow wholesome,
now with a new bio dad, she groomed them to fuck her new dick, to alienate them from their real father, just to further spite him for a failed relationship, which is disgusting whore behaviour

Last edited:

Grordan

Aug 16, 2020
but im not here to see them fucking their daddy
Okay. And what is your problem then? They aren't fucking their daddy. They fuck their stepdaddy. I thought that was what you were complaining about. I am confused.

so for me the game isn't worth playing
Yes, that's the point. for you. no, not just for you. but if you don't say "for me" but just "it's not worth it" you're saying "for all of us" and that's neither true nor fair.

Reactions: Izakiya

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
[...] but honestly I haven't gotten beyond a broad outline for the upcoming chapters, so I haven't gotten down to her specifically yet.
Honestly, that's something to fix urgently. Of course, as a creator, it is often the case that you may have to slightly adapt and change plans in small ways as you go through the creation process, but you should always have those plans, and that the plans should be like a fully detailed blueprint and not just a loose idea.

Building a good story experience is a bit like building a bridge that transports people from one place to another. You need to know in advance where the supports and pillars are so that each span of the bridge can align and hold the structure.

There's many good reasons that people talk about 'the narrative arc' when referring to either the story as a whole, or the story of any particular character. A narrative line is just too simple and straightforward. The artistry is all in the graceful arc that flows smoothly but doesn't allow the audience to immediately predict where it will go. But to engineer a perfect arc, every piece that goes into it has to be perfectly angled and aligned.

The builder has to know exactly how big the whole arc will be. You absolutely need pin-point accuracy, and making it up as you go along won't allow this. Instead pieces won't align properly without being padded or shaved at the last minute of fitting, creating scenes that feel out of place or poorly aligned. The arc will be a little ragged rather than smooth. Some parts will instantly be seen to be forced in.

You absolutely have to commit to a decision on every scene eventually, so not doing so in advance doesn't actually save any time. Instead, making it up as you go is slower, as you'll waste extra time all along the process in those last minute adjustments to force a piece into place, or having to remake a piece that didn't fit the span right. It also adds a lot more pressure on you, the creator, which isn't good for you or the project in terms of successful completion.

Give yourself the advantage of taking whatever time you need to design what you are building before you build it.

Reactions: *Jonesy*

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
Honestly, that's something to fix urgently. Of course, as a creator, it is often the case that you may have to slightly adapt and change plans in small ways as you go through the creation process, but you should always have those plans, and that the plans should be like a fully detailed blueprint and not just a loose idea.

Building a good story experience is a bit like building a bridge that transports people from one place to another. You need to know in advance where the supports and pillars are so that each span of the bridge can align and hold the structure.

There's many good reasons that people talk about 'the narrative arc' when referring to either the story as a whole, or the story of any particular character. A narrative line is just too simple and straightforward. The artistry is all in the graceful arc that flows smoothly but doesn't allow the audience to immediately predict where it will go. But to engineer a perfect arc, every piece that goes into it has to be perfectly angled and aligned.

The builder has to know exactly how big the whole arc will be. You absolutely need pin-point accuracy, and making it up as you go along won't allow this. Instead pieces won't align properly without being padded or shaved at the last minute of fitting, creating scenes that feel out of place or poorly aligned. The arc will be a little ragged rather than smooth. Some parts will instantly be seen to be forced in.

You absolutely have to commit to a decision on every scene eventually, so not doing so in advance doesn't actually save any time. Instead, making it up as you go is slower, as you'll waste extra time all along the process in those last minute adjustments to force a piece into place, or having to remake a piece that didn't fit the span right. It also adds a lot more pressure on you, the creator, which isn't good for you or the project in terms of successful completion.

Give yourself the advantage of taking whatever time you need to design what you are building before you build it.
First of all, thank you for your input - seriously, thank you!

I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing this from me, but I am very new to the whole game/story development/content creator thing. I have officially been doing it all for exactly 1 year. I am definitely learning as I go. This whole project, from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day(e) has been a crash course for me in writing, coding, rendering, marketing, and now public relations. I feel like the dog that chased the car and then caught it (Now what the fuck do I do?).

I guess I probably should take more time to develop my outlines and scripts, but I am finding it hard to find the self-discipline to do that. Maybe it's my years as a DnD DM that makes me want to fly by the seat of my pants. I dunno. Either way, thanks for the advice. I will definitely take it under advisement (duh). And I'll check out Retrieving the Past while I'm at it.

Thanks again!

Sngo

May 9, 2020
Damn not even a single one is mc daughter, talk about being lead on lol.
That was a brutal backstab for the incest fans from the dev.
Live and learn, another dev to the no trust list.

Ty for the reply

rash69

Jul 6, 2017
Damn not even a single one is mc daughter, talk about being lead on lol.
That was a brutal backstab for the incest fans from the dev.
Live and learn, another dev to the no trust list.

Ty for the reply
Pretty sure it was step daughter from the beginning the patch was not made by him but a fan.
I guess be mad at the person who made the patch not the dev.

mace771

Aug 4, 2017
just read about 2.4, sounds good, the game did feel alot different to christmas day and im excited to see what you have done to change the feel

Reactions: *Jonesy*
3.30 star(s) 14 Votes