Drybear

Aug 31, 2020
AHEEEEH this thread is so damn funny!! I check this shit when I wake up just to see who said some wild shit XD

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
Ok now I'm kinda curious about the "cannot be named." If you can't say who can you at least why they can't be named? I can think of one dev who matches that description sort of but I would defend them so not sure.
I think most people know who I'm talking about.
Mr. "I can't handle jokes and justified criticism about my poor design decisions so I will report your posts for slander on F95 and ulmf forums".
The same one that says he got into thousands of dollars in debt (with serious patreon backing already!) because he hired people to voice lots of lines and characters in a fucking hentai platformer (among other things). While I admire ambition, it is ill placed.

There's a reason why even serious titles like TES:Morrowind or Rayman (before someone accuses me of comparing apples to a chicken) decide to voice only a handful of lines or to resort to gibberish until they get BIG.
First - it's not feasible for most to afford it in the first place UNTIL they get big and recognized (in case of Bethesda, it took more than 4 full triple A games to get big enough to voice their games in full).
Two - even if it is, you must understand that it's more often than not, a wasted effort. The "quality" you gain is incomparably small compared to the expenses you must take in both time, energy and money.

D-Lis, Vosmug, Grimhelm - they all have been able to see that there's enough work in their projects that give a big payoff with relatively low investment. No voice acting? Anyone cared about it so far? I haven't seen ONCE someone criticing their games because they didn't have voiced characters.
Hell, a lot of times people don't even care about the written story because some people just jerk off, but also because good games, comics, movies and art can and will tell story through other means than "saying it out loud". There's a reason why people loved simple games like Limbo which only has audio-visual cues in the environment. It can tell all the story you need to make an impactful medium for your viewers. Dark Souls (which are a big influence on Night of Revenge) also are famous for somewhat indirect storytelling. You often can only assume what happened here and there..and you are left with that curious hunger for knowing what lies ahead of you.

Yet, some people don't get that...

PS. Now I await for post deletion because it is "offtopic" or slander xD

Bulbanych

Oct 13, 2020
I really hope that your post won't get deleted, because it was very insightful and interesting, plus F95 is usually more lenient with off topic posts than ulmf.

Sep 16, 2018
I think most people know who I'm talking about.
Mr. "I can't handle jokes and justified criticism about my poor design decisions so I will report your posts for slander on F95 and ulmf forums".
The same one that says he got into thousands of dollars in debt (with serious patreon backing already!) because he hired people to voice lots of lines and characters in a fucking hentai platformer (among other things). While I admire ambition, it is ill placed.

Alright, I checked the forum of who I was thinking just in case I was missing them being a dick and I don't think we're thinking of the same person. Though I can understand the caution and frustration, some devs really just suck. With as much time as he's spent on "fluid physics," you'd think that Eromancer would have solved Navier-Stokes by now.

Dojo_dude

Dec 10, 2018
My biggest issue with gameplay for this title is the lack of clarity on foreground, background and your characters SHADOW.
I often have no $%^ing idea where I can walk/jump and where I cannot.

Reactions: Buziol

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
My biggest issue with gameplay for this title is the lack of clarity on foreground, background and your characters SHADOW.
I often have no $%^ing idea where I can walk/jump and where I cannot.
That's actually...a valid complain! I think that slums and this one level with butchers are the prime examples of that issue, even to me. You can get use to it but I wonder if it's simply not because I already get to know the map at that point.

Reactions: Nikolas-Ambross
4.50 star(s) 80 Votes